Since most modern movies are made for people with ADHD

Since most modern movies are made for people with ADHD...

What's your favorite slow-paced movie?

Mine is 2001.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ml1p1yXkOLI
youtu.be/fIhKqaNp4Dc?t=3225
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Brown Bunny

>2001

There's slow-placed and then there's 15 minutes of spaceships floating through the air to classical music.

Contact

I know, isn't it perfect?

The Godfather is one of my favorite movies and it is slow paced until the ending.

Not a very slow-paced movie

is that meme toy fad dead already?

>isn't it perfect?

I like to think I can enjoy most older movies, but I still like to actually see things happen. Those parts of the movie, as well as the scene where he looks into the obelisk, were tough.

Wavelength

Hardcore Henry

His Girl Friday, Run Lola Run, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Only God Forgives

youtube.com/watch?v=Ml1p1yXkOLI

>as well as the scene where he looks into the obelisk
That's the best scene in the movie

Isn't it almost 40 minutes in before she detects the signal?

comedy masters right here

But why? Whatever point it's trying to make has been hammered home after a minute. The only reason to keep the rest in is if it's entertaining, but it's not.

Downloading this now because it look unbelievably comfy

good taste

Well for one, it looks absolutely amazing, and no, the point really isn't hammered home after a minute. You wouldn't get a sense of the insanity-inducing experience or the length of that experience from a one minute sequence.
>The only reason to keep the rest in is if it's entertaining, but it's not.
Entertainment isn't necessarily the primary goal of a movie

Solaris

Underrated

>it looks absolutely amazing
How so? I mean, it's a neat visual effect, but how good can random sequences of neon lights flashing at you be?

>You wouldn't get a sense of the insanity-inducing experience
Yes you would, because the effects of the monolith have been established multiple times throughout the film. Tacking on an extra 9 minutes (the full scene is nearly 10 minutes in length) doesn't add anything.

If it's not trying to entertain and it's not trying to make a point, then it's practically a music video.

Does anyone have the gif of the Spore creature sniffing it's own farts?

>because the effects of the monolith have been established multiple times throughout the film
They really haven't. Bowman's experience is the first time in the movie we actually get to see an encounter with the monolith as they see it. This is the what the film has been building to for two house. A single minute sequence wouldn't do it justice. The Dawn of Man and Moon sequences only show these encounters from an outside perspective. Not to mention the fact that the encounter with the monolith on the Moon is fundamentally different to Dave's.
>If it's not trying to entertain and it's not trying to make a point, then it's practically a music video.
Right, because every portrayal of a psychological experience in film is basically a music video. Is this really how you think? What logic brings you to that conclusion?

Explain why you think anything I've said is pretentious

>The Dawn of Man and Moon sequences
In addition to Hal-9000 gaining psychopathic sentience. Sure, you can specify that it shows a different perspective. It's not like I'm saying the scene should have been cut entirely. More that there's nothing really gained from how long and drawn out it is. There's no development, plot or character wise, and the atmosphere or emotions you derive would be the same if it was a fraction of the length. If anything, it potentially breaks immersion with the viewer.

>because every portrayal of a psychological experience
The parts where his face distorts and what obviously follows after the color montage do more to emphasize the psychological experience than 10 minutes of flashing lights.

Das Boot Directors Cut

It's so long yet it's also perfectly paced.

>In addition to Hal-9000 gaining psychopathic sentience
You should watch/read 2010

I have watched it, more than once. The monolith dramatically influences anyone who comes into contact with it. Is Hal changing as travel toward it just a coincidence?

Why did they bring so many horses?

Gods and Generals

Andrei Rublev
Inland Empire
Landscape Suicide
Nostos Il Riturno
Valhalla Rising
Post Tenebras Lux
Hard to be a God

Baz Lydon. Embrace of the Serpent is another great one from more recently.

A Scanner Darkly or Kairo I guess.

Boredom is a symptom of low attention span, low attention span is a symptom of infantilism, infantilism is a symptom of bad genes, bad genes are a symptom of delayed evolution.

Sleep Has Her House

Dune

>2001
this movie is retarded

Nearly 10 hours of pure trilogykino.

Tree of life
Deer hunter
Godfather
Dollars trilogy
Jarhead
The human condition
Shin Godzilla
Henry V

retarded means slow, was it slow?

Stalker

I really need to watch this

looks good, downloading

goodbye dragon inn is one of my all time favorite films and I still think 2001 is boring

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

in bruges is pretty slow, masterpiece of a film

based Griffith poster

Do I need to finish tos to watch the motion picture?

>in bruges is pretty slow
No it isn't

it's like a TOS episode, so nope

you just need to watch the movies after the motion picture in order and watch the original khan episode before watching wrath of khan obviously.

No. It will actually take away from it when you see the episodes it's similar to.

fucking loved the intro for this

Just a bunch of assassins waiting to strike and they all underestimate who they are dealing with.

Dawn of the Dead

You say that like it's a bad thing.

lake mungo comes to mind

This is the correct answer

how is there a correct answer to this question?

Taxi Driver

Fuck you Jay for wasting 90 mins of my life

There will be blood

Not my favorite but the first that came to mind

The point is not hammered home after a minute. 2001 is slow because Kubrick wanted to make the audience get used to the environment, before putting us in a new jarring environment. We spend like 10 minutes watching apes at the beginning, perhaps a bit more than enough time to drive the "point" of that scene home. Then, once we get comfortable with the apes we instantly jump millions of years forward into a spacefaring future. Later, this same technique is used again at the end of the stargate sequence that you believe went on too long. After spending so much time in what appears to be another reality, when Dave actually comes back to "real life" in the room, it's jarring for both him and us as the viewers. We took that journey with him. When that close-up of his eye actually turned to its normal color for the first time I got this feeling that I can't really explain, and that's how I know Kubrick had timed that out perfectly.

Barry Lyndon

Reinhard a shit

>only watching movies on the recommendation of RLM
>not watching and enjoying things on his own accord

>>>reddit is thattaway, bucko

Ok thanks

Relax Reddit, hes merely saying he agrees with opinion.

That argument holds up when it's a well known movie, not some indie Australian movie that no one has ever heard of

>not finding out movies on your own accord

back to your discord circlejerk general, faggot.

im sorry you don't know how to find good movies on your own, and have only lofty expectations that falter because you can't form an unbiased opinion on something before you experience it

I'm not that guy, but you're still a stuck up faggot. I didn't see the film, but what's so bad about finding films through someone?

This one and Zodiac count as slow-paced? Both were a pleasure to watch.

great films

both are over 2 hours and take their time, so yeah.
good picks, too.

That battle scene from the first movie with Ravel's Bolero on it was, dare I say, kino.

Absolute kino

Saulnier's best, great slow burner and a fresh take on the revenge formula.

A Field in England
The Rover
The Master
Most Kurosawa movies.

>mfw he's on true detective s3 now

Kagemusha is his best epic desu

Seriously? Nice.

Yeah, not sure if he's gonna do the whole season, or just couple episodes in it, but still it would be a huge improvement from the biggest weakness of S2, which was the directing.

Das Boot

Do you mean the 4 hour and something long DC or? Total kino either way.

Shit, I already knew Saulnier was directing it, but thought you meant BR's lead will be in the new season.

>but thought you meant BR's lead will be in the new season.
Ah, no, thought that would be sweet. He certainly is on that sweet spot of "talented but not a listed actor who would fit in very well".

I have ADHD and I'm just using this thread to make a "movies I will never see" list

I really wish I could enjoy slow movies thou

Koyaanisqatsi.

Valhalla Rising was pretty decent for a film that moves at a snail pace.

Probably Zodiac. It just keeps going and going, but every scene is so gripping, memorable and interesting that it never really gets old to me.

That or The Big Sleep, if that counts. I guess it's not really that slow. But it definitely takes its time.

Angel's Egg

Not slow paced because it has no pace

Villeneuve sticks out like a sore thumb in this thread. I really hated Prisoners

Angel's Egg
That scene is pure kino :
youtu.be/fIhKqaNp4Dc?t=3225

why are his fingernails so disgusting?

reasoned like a true pleb!
hats off to you!