MOTHER!

I am laughing so hard at all the normies that saw MOTHER! just because Jennifer Lawrence was in it. it's like a expertly crafted practical joke.

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/isvbella/film/mother-2017/
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-explains-mother
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i literally just got back from this. i was laughing too at the end. exact same reactions from normie plebs as when I saw spring breakers.

"wtf? that wasshit"
"that was pointless. whats it even about?"
and my favourite was from an old lady "you must need to be high to understand this...you know with the legalization of marijauna going on (i live in canada) theres going to be more stuff like this and the world get get worse and high kids will get in more car accidents"

I'd say the movie was made for people like her if she wasnt so retarded.

Seriously how do people not understand what the movie is about? Even if you don't pick up on ANY of the clues, especially the unsubtle ones at the end, the movie literally explains what its all about with the last few lines of dialogue. honestly i don't understand.

Fuck off Darren, your movie a shit

You dont understand how normies watch movies mate. They turn their brain off, and sit there not actually taking in information but simply watching scene after scene while they react to it.

I can't wait to see it honestly.

Then why do they say they like stuff like inception or fight club?

Get out of this thread while you can

looking forward to this film becoming the new rick and morty. its fans will claim you need a certain level of intelligence to understand it. arronofsky is babby's first serious filmmaker

Those aren't intelligent movies

simultaneously disgusted and jealous

Spring Breakers was literal garbage for plebs though, they are both just shit movies.

i know someone would say this. i never said they were, but they like to talk about the "meanings" of those movies, which they wouldn't be able to do if they shut their brains off and just watched scenes

>this is what brainlets actually believe

Is Jennifer Lawrence doing mommy joi now?

It makes them feel smart, but if you actually asked them for a detailed analysis you wouldn't get anything.

>In this third act, everything gets set into chaotic motion. A few paparazzi come to the house, raving about Bardem’s poem. This scene is particularly heartbreaking because Lawrence, pregnant as fuck, has made a lovely dinner for her and her husband to enjoy together but, given the option, a man will always choose a crowd of adoring fans over the woman who’s stuck by his side through it all. The crowds grow and grow until the house literally turns into a warzone. It starts off with Lawrence giving into a mother whose son has to pee and it progresses to the masses entering her house.
>When I say chaos, I mean motherfucking chaos. This 15ish minute scene could’ve served as a masterful, standalone short film. It’s impossible to describe and accurately capture the sheer madness of this growing cult. Like, don’t even bother watching this movie; fast forward to this scene and shut it off right after. Lawrence gives birth while her husband’s psychotic fans terrorize her home. Everyone is silent once the baby arrives, and Lawrence begs Bardem to kick them out, which he, of course, refuses. They need to see the baby. A day or two passes with a staring contest between Bardem and Lawrence, who won’t pass the baby over to her husband. She falls asleep and awakes to Bardem showing off her child to the ravenous crowd.
>Unsurprisingly, the baby’s neck snaps and he dies. The masses then proceed to cannibalize the dead baby. Lawrence finally loses her mind and starts stabbing the masses. This is where I decided that Aronofsky doesn’t care about women in the absolute slightest. In a moment of pure disgust, he shows Lawrence being viciously, horrendously attacked while women-specific slurs are thrown at her. Between the gratuitous, unnecessary violence, the lack of compassion in the gaze, and the length of this scene, it’s irrational to deem this film a fan of any woman.
letterboxd.com/isvbella/film/mother-2017/

Fucking kek this movie sounds amazing

You know what's funnier?
Dumb pseuds who think Aranofsky is deep.

it's not as bad as all the try hard pseuds who dislike the film specifically and only because Jennifer Lawrence is in it.

He might be.

i don't think he's deep, the movie is very on the nose. i'm confused as to how people are so stupid to not get any of it

I saw it because I wanted Black Swan 2: Rosemary.

..I didn't get it.. It was fun though.

Should I check this movie out? I have moviepass and the movie theater isn't that far away, I was just being a bit lazy today.

>When it comes time for Mother to finally have their baby, she and the poet retreat to his upstairs office, which is basically the Garden of Eden/Heaven. She gives birth but refuses to let the poet take the baby to the throng of onlookers downstairs. Unfortunately, as sleep deprivation gets the best of her, the poet snatches the baby from her arms and gives it to the people. The baby, in this instance, is Jesus Christ. Those familiar with the New Testament knew what was coming next—the poet gives his baby to the people, who then kill it. Mother is horrified, even moreso when the people start eating the baby while crying (i.e. consuming the body of Christ as in communion, during which we remember Jesus’ sacrifice for our sins).

>Mother gets trampled and beaten badly, almost to the point of death, before she makes her escape. The parallel here is humanity killing the planet (i.e. Mother Nature). But as we’re experiencing right now with climate change, Mother Nature fights back. Lawrence’s character screams in terror, shaking the house (i.e. Earth), before running to the basement where she lets her wrath loose in full fury. Fittingly, she chooses an oil drum as her weapon (i.e. the fossil fuel industry) and sets the entire place on fire, killing all of humanity.

>The poet, being God/creator and thus immortal, survives and carries the badly burned Mother upstairs. She protests, asking him to stop, but he carries on opening her chest and pulling out another crystal like the one Pfeiffer and Harris’ characters broke at the beginning of the movie. It’s here that the gloomy ending comes into full view, as we realize Lawrence’s Mother was simply one of many Earths that God has created. Lawrence’s Mother tells him to stop, warning that humanity will always do this—turn on its creator, itself, and of course the Earth. But he strives to create, and thus he takes the crystal to the upstairs room, places it on the mantle, and the house restores itself and a brand new Mother wakes up in the bed, fresh-eyed and unaware that she’s just the next iteration of the cycle.

I'm not sure, user... Do you think i should recomend it to you?

When do the Razzie nominations get announced?

Is it more complex then the Limehouse Golemn? That shit was hard to follow, other then the cuckqueen kinky bitch that got off to killing other girls.

This is the sort of movie that will be considered a classic in a few decades.

Nah that's xev

Is it worse or better than Noah?

Noah is a 7/'0, this is an least an 8.

this is literally every good scene in noah, so it seems nearly impossible to be worse. It probably is, though. Darren got lucky with a few films, rest of his stuff is drek.

No idea, I never saw it. I wouldn't say Mother is complex though, while some parts are ambiguous, I went into the film without reading anything about it or even seeing the trailer and I started to have it pieced it together probably by the time 1 third of it was over.

>ask friends if any of them want to see this
>they make plans to see IT instead
sheeeeeit

Why not see both?

Someone spoil it for me

i don't care about horror movies and i guess they don't care about fucked up art movies

They eat the baby.

Wtf this sounds amazing. I'd watch it just to see Whoreance get her shit demolished

It's like Jodorowsky, none of his literal shit is deep, it's just exaggerated symbolism and shock value and normies get confused

Didn't want to watch it because I think she's a shit actor shoehorned everywhere these days. Friend convinced me. She's still shit but the movie was fucking great. Top tier comedy, had me laughing till the end.

Fucking absurd, over the top, in your face shit of the director wanking himself off.

I wouldnt say its very difficult to follow if you know your shit, but if you dont pick up on its underlying structure and focus only on what happens on the screen it probably wont make any sense and be just chaos and disturbing imagery. Its very crammed up and timeline isnt completely linear so it takes some time to figure out what happened in earlier scenes.

>and my favourite was from an old lady "you must need to be high to understand this...you know with the legalization of marijauna going on (i live in canada) theres going to be more stuff like this and the world get get worse and high kids will get in more car accidents"

The Creation scene was fucking fantastic too

Fucking kek normies are retarded. This movie is literally the most basic shallow fucking allegory and it flies over their heads. Democracy was a mistake

>This is where I decided that Aronofsky doesn’t care about women in the absolute slightest. In a moment of pure disgust, he shows Lawrence being viciously, horrendously attacked while women-specific slurs are thrown at her. Between the gratuitous, unnecessary violence, the lack of compassion in the gaze, and the length of this scene, it’s irrational to deem this film a fan of any woman.
What a stupid interpretation of that scene, jfc

>even normies who tried to pay attention only "understand" based on what they see at face value

What is the movie about and is it worth seeing?

it's an allegory both for the bible and humans destroying the world

I've seen a few people that didn't like it say they're still glad they went and saw it. I say go for it, it's very well made even if the message is on the nose and played out

I'm convinced this movie was a set up by Hollywood to show people Jennifer Lawrence can't act.
They've been trying to push her out for years and now they've just straight up stopped trying to hide it.
This movie is going to win a shitload of Razzies.

That would be Noah
Much worse

Wrong, the entire movie is kino

nah

Watson ruined that movie sure as Lawrence did this one

I feel like this movie is going to be endlessly defended as "you're just not smart enough to understand the symbolism!" like a fucking DC movie

Do you think Snyder would like this movie?

If it was then Aronofsky set it up and is based. Jlaw is a shit actress though I really want her to die or disappear.

Nah she didn't you just meme like a woman her and crowe were the best she was better than connelly

>is it worth seeing?
if you're interested in the director, yes
>What is the movie about
if you're interested in seeing it, it's best not to know, but it is about the relationship between mother nature (or earth), god (or "the creator"), and mankind

theres some really obvious symbols and metaphors throughout the movie to back this up especially if you have knowledge about the old testament, but the third act is more about the recent relationships between people, god, and earth, and how wars (whether they be religious, or civil, or international) and the way people abuse the earth affect the spaces we live in.
basically the film is sort of saying in thisact that we're abusing and taking advantage of what the earth has given us, and we're blowing our one chance at life and taking too much.

there are also other interpretations, such as it just being about relationships and patriarchy vs. matriarchy

there's also the Sup Forums interpretation where it's a film about nationalism, and the beautiful home the white woman built herself is being ruined by the influx of uninvited people the hispanic man keeps on letting into the house in order to feel good about himself and "help them" until he loses control and the uninvited guests destroy the house and everything she was trying to build for herself and her child to grow in.

the environmental theme makes her previous comments about the hurricanes really fucking hilarious

enlighten me

>There's also the Sup Forums interpretation

lol

It's payback for voting for trump-Jlaw

Can it be viewed as a, dark, comedy?

in an interview she said something along the lines of mother nature was angry at us for polluting and that's why the hurricanes were so bad
like it was more than her saying the hurricanes were caused or worsened by global warming. she personified the earth and said "mother nature was mad at us, we brought this destruction on ourselves, we deserve it"
it was like she made climate change her religion

No it's just unintentionally hilarious towards the end.

Jlaw can't act

honestly, if you see the film it doesn't seem that far-fetched. half of the movie is her getting mad at minorities for destroying her "home" and yelling at her husband that "they need to go back" and her telling them personally that they "need to leave". then there are shots of swarms of people walking towards the house and entering uninvited and destroying shit and stealing shit, and asking for handouts, and then cops busting in, and antifa fighting the cops, and cops trying to protect her, etc. some shots look like they came from that "with open borders" or whatever it was called youtube video they kept trying to spread a year ago.

Agreed, but what exactly did he say, i wasnt sure?

I am I, you are home?

perfectly valid

jesus christ, what an idiot

no but there are genuinely funny parts where you can laugh and not seem like an autist

>After destroying the prelapsarian world in Noah, indie director Darren Aronofsky has returned to his formula. In his sensationalized allegory Mother! Aronofsky sends a nameless woman (Jennifer Lawrence) through a gauntlet of masochistic paranoia, blames modern male chauvinism, and then demolishes Millennial society. By casting Jennifer Lawrence as a put-upon hausfrau whose husband (Javier Bardem, playing Man) subjects her to endless impositions and disrespect, Aronofsky hopes to match the surprise box-office success of Black Swan (his rip-off of Roman Polanski’s Repulsion). It’s possible to read pro-choice madness in the film’s pregnancy subplot — in which Lawrence suffers the most horrendous postpartum depression since Polanski’s Rosemary’s Baby.

"i am life, you are hope"

basically he is god he creates life

its pretentious garbage

>Aronofsky longs to be thought of as an artiste like Polanski, so Mother! includes cynical sentiments about male indifference (far less subtly than Polanski did). But an obsessive filmmaker doesn’t necessarily rise above schlockmeister status. Aronofsky’s mania for various tribulations never finds a higher meaning, and his emphasis on female discomfort (Lawrence looks zombified, both clueless and hypersensitive) makes him the perfect filmmaker for the Hillary Clinton era. When Woman (as the script names Lawrence’s character) apologizes for objecting to Man’s rowdy houseguests and embarks on a cleaning-up spree, she begs, “I don’t want to interrupt, I’ll get started on the apocalypse.” The line could well have come from Hillary Clinton’s recent campy memoir, What Happened.

>BTFO Aronhacksky, JLaw, AND hillary clinton in the same review

based armond

>Woman (as the script names Lawrence’s character)
Fake news, Armond.

Yes, it's easily worth watching, even if you come out of it hating it, you'll still appreciate aspects.

Everybody has seen her pussy lips. Why would anyone care about her anymore?

His reviews are fucking awful, i hope nobody takes this meme seriously

>It's a Michelle Pfeiffer scene

t. pleb

seems like kino

hillary please

Based

>(OP)
>>and my favourite was from an old lady "you must need to be high to understand this...you know with the legalization of marijauna going on (i live in canada) theres going to be more stuff like this and the world get get worse and high kids will get in more car accidents"
old people are so wise.

Isnt blavk swan a rip off of Perfect Blue? Its basically same, except character professions are switched

Do we see tits?

ye

This movie sounds like utter kinography

do we see pusy?

nope

based pusyposter

I can see normies calling it shit etc. I think I overheard one guy after seanse calling it shit. But oh wrllz who cares. Theres fucked up shit towards end which will probably trigger some.

Aronofsky and Jlaw already outright confirmed that mother earth/environmental/global warming interpretation is correct.

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-explains-mother

the baby crowdsurfing and pissing on everyone scene sounds hilarious

when they kill it, does it make a loud CRUNCH?

Why are feminazis so fucking stupid? This scene is literally on their side, showing the horrors of humanity, specifically towards women here.

I need some webms of the baby eating

After I come across a bit of money I can't wait to make a no-women policy theatre

I just hate how they don't even give reasons as to what made them so mad.

Kek