Mr. Lynch

Christopher Nolan

Rian Johnson

I'm being 100% serious

Bela Tarr.

fuk u I don't have a fedora

>better than Kubrick

Coen Brothers

These 2 are the only non meme answers in this thread. The question is very subjective of course, but these 2 along with the likes of Scorsese, de Palma, Tarantula, Kurusawa, etc. can be argued as being just as great.

He is though, Kubrick is such a low bar. Even the likes of Lynch may be better.

When The Last Jedi goes on to become the greatest of great SW films, a cultural milestone, a masterpiece, I will be vindicated.

Explain how Kubrick is better than Nolan. Don't use the Appealing to Tradition Fallacy either.

Lynch is like Zach Snyder compared to Kubrick.

Fuck off, normie.

He certainly seems to give more of a shit about his movies.

Nolan rushed through shooting TDKR because he's such a brat he couldn't wait to get his Interstellar project started.

Lars von Trier makes very captivating films. Never understood all the hate he gets on Sup Forums

Fight scenes in the TDK trilogy were terrible. Batman vs Superman blew it outta the water in that department.

Nolan does some things well, big cinematic shots, but other things he does terribly.

We'll never know how well Kubrick can do action but since he's the GOAT I'd assume it would be well done.

Nolan is a terrible writer who likes making dull movies about men in suits running around in blue-grey cities. He doesn't know what subtext is, so he spells out everything through reams of expository dialogue. He has a decent eye for visuals - besides not knowing how to fucking use colour - but his stories are painful to sit through. He's like Tarantino in that he's an auteur who actually gets hollywood budgets because he exclusively makes mainstream action films with mass market appeal instead of doing something unique or challenging himself. He's the director of choice for redditors who aren't intelligent but think there are.

>He's the director of choice for redditors who aren't intelligent but think there are.
Lol. BRUTAL.

His best movie is Memento. The man should never have been given blockbusters.

The fact that Nolan and Snyder have even been brought up in this thread speaks volumes about the current state of this board.

Have you seen a single David Lynch film.

>
I never said nolan man, read my comment

Tarkovski, Bergman, Dreyer, Kobayashi, Ozu, Kurosawa.

Living???? Becauee people neglecting to mention giants like Kurasawa and Hitchcock make me sad, lol.

>besides not knowing how to fucking use colour

Meanwhile nobody uses color better than Kubrick. It was like he understood it on some esoteric level.

I really hope that user was joking by even mentioning Nolan in this thread.

Or he uses expository dialogue so morons on like you will be able to understand.

A lot of morons like you unfortunately exist, that's why he has to use exposition.

u r retardo

The Dark Knight is better than any Marvel film, cuck.

This and Fincher come close. But I don't think they're better. Trier is too inconsistent, half of his filmography is shitposting.

No one has to use exposition.

If his films didn't wank on exposition they'd be a lot more interesting.

Any self-respecting director would have told Bale to cut the shit the second he pulled out that Batman voice. Kubrick would have gotten right up in his face over that one.

lmao

Andy Sidaris

Daredevil a Netflix tv show (Nolan HATES Netflix) is better than The Dark Knight.

>i'm too dense to know the difference!

in a visual medium, you can tell the audience something, or you can demonstrate it. one requires no thought. the other requires some finesse.

Instead of having shots of crops failing in fields, we have Alfred Penn.. I mean Michael Caine telling us point-blank "the corn is dying".

Lol what do you mean it's shitposting? I guess I've only seen the Depression Trilogy but I thought they were masterfully crafted and entirely unique.

Idk, if 2001 didn't need exposition then why would Interstellar.

Who's the famous director making millions and who's shitposting about muh exposition? You're not a professional like Nolan, you have no business talking.

>thread about directors better than kubrick
>immediately devolves into a DC vs Marvel thread
Sup Forums and Sup Forums cross-posters should not be allowed on this board.

Because 2001 is far up its ass pretentiousness.

>talking about Nolan at all
Read the thread topic

>pretentious
There's that word again

Antechrist was repulsive trash
Melancholia is a masterpiece
Nyphomaniac was just him memeing after realizing the masterpiece he made

Christopher Nolan makes great movies to fall asleep to.

Stanley Kubrick makes great movies to stir the deepest parts of your consciousness.

Pretty big difference if you ask me.

You got holes in your brain? You said every answer besides Lynch and Coen Bros is a meme. The first answer in this thread after OP is Chris Nolan.

What kind of question is this?
>Lynch
>Herzog
>Malick
>Kiarostami
>Ozu
>Bay
>Bergman
>Bresson
>Tarkovsky
>etc

You don't need to be a dense faggot who wants everybody to know that you have useless information lying around in your head to make high-tier works.

It's not pretentious if you think about the fact that we don't really know much about space at all.

Why does it have to elaborate highly detailed bullshit about why a wormhole threw him into a room and turned him into a baby.

It's part of the ride and the film exists afterward because it lends itself to discussion and interpretation.

It's a cosmic mystery. It doesn't need to explain anything.

also
This

>t. retard

The only real, non meme answer is Park Chan-Wook.

How wide of a range does he have in terms of subject matter? Gonna dl werckmeister for a start

Lynch said Kubrick is the coolest.

But to answer it honestly, none can compare to Kubrick's amount of quality per quantity, everything he made after PoG, including it, has been a fucking classic and holds tons of material for discussions.

Fight me.

The fact that so many anons still name Nolan and Snyder as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" directors ever only tells you how far Sup Forums still is from becoming a serious board

I just rewatched Antichrist last night. The ending is kino. I also think it messes with you on a subconscious level. Definitely grotesque at points, even challenging. But I wouldn't say they take away from the film.

What does this man do best? And what film is a good example of his prowess?

Rear Window is his best thrills/directing wise.

Thrillers, making you feel suspense and overthinking shit.

Probably Vertigo.

I liked North by Northwest a lot.

North By Northwest

he hasn't made a film that's better than Kubrick at his finest, try again.

Good way to start watch the turin horse last.

You think I didn't see your shitpost in the middle of that list?

you obviously missed Malick