How do you deal with really stupid shit in comics that becomes canon?

How do you deal with really stupid shit in comics that becomes canon?

Do you embrace it grudgingly, reject it outright and go back to older comics, or just ignore the official nonsense and just replace it with more acceptable headcanons?

Pic mostly unrelated. It's hard to ignore Identity Crisis though.

I do lots of complaining on Sup Forums, and then I go to read other company's books

I just drop the book

Happened with a lot of marvel stuff recently (read: last three years)

I ignore it, hope it gets retconned soon, and drop the book if I have to.

Just ask Spiderfags. They are used to it by now.

I stopped reading X-Men after they killed Cyclops off-pane.
I didn't read the New 52 supporting Bat-books till the Batgirl of Burnside and Grayson reboots and I dropped the Snyder run at DotF
I refused to support Tim Drake as a character after what they did in Identity Crisis and from the few issues I've read since then I know I made the right decision.
Shit, I went on a 4 year break from Sup Forums around the time the New 52 hit. Too much negativity. This place is still kinda shit now that I'm back.

It's a hobby. Ignore what you don't like, read what you want.

>How do you deal with really stupid shit in comics that becomes canon?

You ignore it and just focus on the good stuff. It's the way it always worked in comics.

By rarely paying for comics
In fact, I pretty much only buy #1s

I just got a job though so maybe that'll change

I don't read cape comics. That seems to eliminate 90% of the complaints board-regulars seem to have.

>How do you deal with really stupid shit in comics that becomes canon?

By not following superhero comics (generally speaking) and only reading the quality stuff and ignoring the rest.

Ignore it until a better writer comes along and retcons/makes something decent out of it, like the Ralph Dibny subplot in 52

> buying #1s
Are you retarded?

Spider-Man is and has been my favourite character for as long as I can remember.

When I got to OMD, I actually stopped reading Spidey up until now. That gave me time to get into DC, but I still miss him. Now, I finally found the courage to give Brand New Day a try. If you've never read Spider-Man, I guess it's a good entry point, but reading it in context with what just happened in the previous event is really infuriating.

Everything is your fault.

It's comics. Everything and nothing is canon. No one can ever establish "CANON" regardless of the shit that comes outta there mouth. Comics is an evolving media. Read everything and laugh at the shit that's retarded while decreeing "not canon". All fanfiction anyway. Establishing your own headcananon by saying this fanfaction is more canon than this fan fiction is a god given necessity in comics.

Ignore it completely til it goes away or is forgotten. See Snyder's Batman.

I don't acknowledge anything from Bendis Guardians as canon.

These guy's get it. Headcanon states it didn't happen and nothing is more important than headcanon. NOTHING!

Usually retconned, don't matter.

I honestly do not care. I collects trades that are well-known to be good and I enjoy them. Continuity be damn. The only thing I'm looking for is an enjoyable story supported with fine art. If there's something that I find stupid on a certain story, I just ignore it and move on.

There is things that bothers me in the grand scheme of things (like how Kamala is turning out), but then again, I make an effort in not caring about it.

Yeah this is pretty much me too. I haven't bought a comic from DC or Marvel in years. Actually I just read all my shit online off sites and here because I'll be damned if I'm paying for some of the trash they put out.

Comics ae shit.

I just remember that it will all change again in a few years time and don't let it bother me at all

Usually ignore it and complain on Sup Forums.

The beauty of it though, is that in comics hope never dies out. At some point someone could always bring your favorite character back, or retcon that bullshit that made you angry, or return to your favorite version of a character, it all can and will happen, so even in the worst times there's always hope.

This.kids these days complaining that they are killing off the X-Men haven't read enough to know that they are always being killed off and hunted down, during new 52 kids complained about Black Wally, well guess fucking what? They were all complaining for nothing, meanwhile old time readers just sat back and quietly waited for this period in time to be over

>Pic mostly unrelated
Kill yourself, Owen was great and deserved better, just like everyone else who got killed in that shitheap of an event.

Saint Walker never ceases to cheer me up.

Hate how Owen tosses a few kids to his zombie father offscreen because he was tricked into believing it would revive him and this is seen as unredeemable... yet Harley blew up plenty of children with gameboys and that's LOL SO FUNNY XDDD.

Harley is shit these days but it's perpetuated by the fucking normies who saw SS.

Man I was just over on Sup Forums, and Dragon ball has turned into the dumbest shit, so dumb it inflicts pain on the reader as they try to understand the synopsis of the new series.

Now I know what you're thinking "Of course Dragon Ball is dumb, its stupid shounen power level shit etc etc", but its gotten dumb in a different way on top of that.
Now they are doing the dumb shit Big Two western comics do during their events on top of their own bullshit.

Its like trying to read the worst DBZ fanfic of all time done by some teen living in the US.

And really, you shouldn't stick around like a beaten spouse and just continue to give time and money for such things.

Or someone could just bring your favorite character back to rape them for cheap shock, (literally and/or figuratively)

these are the correct reactions, everything is cyclical
when i was a kid superman died batman had his back broken wolverine lost his adamantium and spiderman was a clone all along

Oh man. I completely forgot about Dragon Ball Super even tough I'm the biggest Dragon Ball fan.
I've long enforced the thoughts that Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball. It's 42 (or 34, depending of the edition) volume. There's no Z. The anime is a light adaptation. The movies are non existent (with the better one considered as lightly canon). Gogeta is not a thing, the only fusion with Goku and Vegeta is Vegeto. SSJ God is not a thing and Dragon Ball ends with Goku finally finding a worthwhile student that will protect the earth.

Dragon Ball is filled with dumb shit, yeah, of course. But it's not a reason to add more shit to it.

I will defend Battle of Gods, on its own. For one thing, the villain has more personality than most of the movie villains (name a memorable movie villain who isn't Broly or Cooler), and Super Sayain God DIDN'T WORK.

Super saiyan God shouldn't have existed in the first place, Saiyans shouldn't have gotten a literal God-mode on top of all their other bullshit.

If anything divine awakening should have been a thing applied to the whole fighting cast, thus flattening the 'power level' cancer that had built up and bringing everyone a bit closer together.

Of course, not everything that isn't the manga should be thrown out. I admit that Beerus is a strong character and I like the dynamic he has with Whis.
Oh, and Bojack is pretty cool.

Honestly, if it were up to me, I would totally nerf down the series. Super Sayan 3 shouldn't have existed to begin with. I would have preferred if it stayed at 2. A villain isn't necessarily interesting because he's a strong guy. Take Dabra or Babidi for example. These guys would have their shit wrecked by Cell by each of them offers abilities and a dynamic that is interesting enough. Plus, by creating weaker villains, it gives the chance for weaker characters to participate in. Ever since the Super Sayans showed up, every characters wasn't a sayan or Piccolo just gave up. That means that Krilin and Tenshinhan, two of the most well-loved characters, are reduced to cannon fodder.
That's a big reason why I really liked the 25th special Jump did a few years back. Abo and Cado we're at Freeza's level at most and didn't posed a threat to everyone. But it was cool for Goku and Vegeta in resigning to fight them, preferring Goten and Trunks to handle it. And honestly, even tough the fight wasn't the biggest we had, it was still engaging to follow. Hell, some of the best fight we had was when the power level was extremely low.

>Super Sayan 3 shouldn't have existed to begin with.
Here's the thing about Super Sayain 3. Super Sayain let Goku beating Freeza. Super Sayain 2 let Gohan kill Cell. 3? Completly fucking useless. All of the power ups that arc were. Super Sayain 3, two kinds of fusion, Mystic Gohan, literally NONE of them were what put Buu down. Hell, I recall reading somewhere that Super Sayain 3, and a lot of the Buu arc as a whole, was made as a subtle piss-take at what Dragonball had become.

and thats the life equation right there man

But Bally is still around and Wally got shoved into Titans.

I know, it all levels out in the end and repeats itself

Oh, it definitely was. Toriyama repeatedly wanted to end Dragon Ball. I heard the first ending was supposed to end when Goku and his friends found all the dragon balls for the first time. Beyond that, his interpretation of a Journey to the West would go no-where. But he continued to go on anyway because why not? Then, he planned to finish it when Goku win against Piccolo, marry Chichi, gets offered to be the god of earth and is sacred grand champion of martial arts. But then again, he went on with it.

Toriyama went a stretch when he made Goku into an alien but he backed it up with two strong arcs that culminated with him fighting the reported strongest person in the universe and obtaining the ultimate form his race got. The ending was a bit of a dour, Goku is alive and left missing somewhere, but it still left hope knowing that all his efforts were well paid and culminated to a definitive peace on earth. It took a lot of pressure for Toriyama to agree to go on.

Cell's arc had a strong emphasis in passing the torch. Goku was growing old and weary of battles. Moreso when his last fights went back to bite his ass (to remind : the androids are a direct consequence of Goku's destroying the Red Ribbon army). He needed a heir and Gohan was there exactly for that. His relentlessness to fight was merely a trait given to him to add depths to his character. The ending was also perfect : Goku is dead for good, Vegeta is giving up on fighting and Gohan is the designated protector of earth. The en- oh wait dem fucking niggers wants more.

Fuck yall. You want Goku? Here's your Goku, except he's named Goten and his 7 years old and also a super sayan. Oh you want another villains? Here, he's named fucking Buu and is a giant marshmallow that eats peoples. Transformation? Here goes super sayan 3, and the mystic form, and fusions and Buu transforming every 5 pages. By the way, the universe was saved literally because of Satan. Yes the Buu arc was a subtle fuck you.

(cont)
But here's the thing : Toriyama is a god damned professional and he sure is going to provide quality to his work. He wasn't railing against his readers or his editors. The guy was tired of doing Dragon Ball. He was tired of the formula and he was tired of the seriousness, coming from a guy that base his humor on poop joke. Toriyama decided to have some fun doing this series he was working for something like a decade and he did so by turning the story as something silly.

And it's not bad you see. The Buu arc is still great material and is still well-liked for what it is. I don't think anybody (aside from kids) really took seriously Dragon Ball to begin with. We all know it's fundamentally a dumb shounen manga and it was all fun and games when the author decided to deflate the tone. In fact, the turn back to constant humor was just a reminder of what Dragon Ball originally was.

Dragon Ball was always silly, but some arcs take themselves more seriously than others. Particularly those that begin with the "Z" era in the anime.

I find quite funny that most americans have this image of DB as something serious while completely forgetting the roots of the original anime series/manga as a gag thing. Holy shit, the villains have funny names based on food and refrigerators. How could they not see this? It was like a silly Silver Age comic that slowly turned into a 90s extreme comic but still silly nonetheless. And I say this as a massive DBfag.

all of the above. they're all fake

Shame Titans is full of schmucks I couldn't give a fuck about aside from Wally and maybe Dick. Hard to justify getting a group comic for 1.5 people in it.

That's how I feel about Extraordinary X-Men

I just stopped reading Marvel. Really improved my mood all around in general.