So why didn't this win best score? I don't even think it was even nominated

So why didn't this win best score? I don't even think it was even nominated.

youtube.com/watch?v=RIuKOWF21u0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OnUGhbdJubk
youtube.com/watch?v=iYQmsyYxSFk
youtube.com/watch?v=mDoh_WfL44s
youtube.com/watch?v=ebuD_F-8EM0
youtube.com/watch?v=EesZaos0w0Y&list=PLb57PLZIuPw4FBsc1GWVjLcy-h1X6uOvJ
youtube.com/watch?v=VsQlEg87Xto&list=PLb57PLZIuPw4FBsc1GWVjLcy-h1X6uOvJ&index=8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

De Palma & Donaggio are my jam. AMA.

Because it was nothing compared to that year's winner

youtube.com/watch?v=OnUGhbdJubk

A lot of De Palma's films have really, really great scores, to the point that it's honestly surprising that this stuff was composed for these films. He's an interesting filmmaker. Most of his work could definitely be called "trash" but he's got a really beautiful, classical, high-minded aesthetic when it comes to visuals and music

Wrong year, it was the year after that. Which is even WORSE because it's fucking Fame of all things, the High School Musical of its day.

have you seen Redacted? not enough people talk about that movie.

and yes his soundtracks, especially with Donaggio, are phenomenal:
youtube.com/watch?v=iYQmsyYxSFk

>beautiful
>classical
>high-minded
Yeah, I mean Snake Eyes was trash but at least the score was good?

Nothing pisses me off more than '07s AA

How is this youtube.com/watch?v=mDoh_WfL44s

better than this youtube.com/watch?v=ebuD_F-8EM0

or this youtube.com/watch?v=EesZaos0w0Y&list=PLb57PLZIuPw4FBsc1GWVjLcy-h1X6uOvJ

And they had just GIVEN that fucking tool an Oscar... THE PREVIOUS YEAR. For fucking BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

What a bankrupt institution. I am sure the politics of these movies had nothing to do with their noms or wins. That would be PREPOSTEROUS.

>Snake Eyes
>trash

N O P E
O
P
E

dude that's no where near as good as Dressed to Kill's theme. This shit sounds hokey as fuck.

I haven't seen Redacted, I'll check it out. I actually haven't seen anything he's done since Snake Eyes. I've heard Femme Fatale is worth a watch too

They're both shit compared to youtube.com/watch?v=VsQlEg87Xto&list=PLb57PLZIuPw4FBsc1GWVjLcy-h1X6uOvJ&index=8 but OP I personally agree with you that yours is better

The politics had nothing to do with it. The movie was actively marketed to academy voters with dinners, gifts, etc. The Oscars are a corrupt joke, it doesn't even need Sup Forumstier conspiracy theories about Jews or SJWs because it's transparently a corrupt cash grab cloaked in phony prestige.

Femme Fatale is Mulholland Drive level good. It's almost unbelievable what it manages to achieve aesthetically and narratively. it'll knock your fucking socks off.

I'm one of the 5 people that absolutely loves Passion too.

Redacted is a punch to the gut. It's a pretty gruelling watch, but it might be a bit too dated now. It's best not to read anything about it and go in blind. It was one of Cahiers du Cinemas Top 5 films of the year that year.

Cheers. I'll go for Femme Fatale first, and wait till I'm in the right mood for Redacted

What about The Black Dahlia, is it as bad as everyone says? Seemed like a great choice of subject matter for De Palma

lol I think I subconsciously blocked out Black Dahlia for a reason.

Along with Bonfire of the Vanities it's by far the worst thing he's done. From the opening scenes you can immediately tell something is off. The rhythm just isn't there and it's hobbled by dull narration and characters.

It's worth watching for his usual stylistic ticks and recurring thematic obsessions, but it never really comes alive. Most importantly it doesn't push any boundaries, which is usually what makes a De Palma worth its salt.

The Fury is also pretty patchy and disappointing.

oh and check out the recent De Palma-approved fan edit of Raising Cain! That movie is the shit.

Best De Palma score is Morricone's from The Untouchables.

I agree but I unironically think Blow Out and Body Double are incredible works

RELAX

DON'T DO IT

Agreed 100% even though I'm the one that called them "trash." I didn't really mean that as a negative, I love his movies. But there's definitely a sleazy, pervy quality to his work that I don't really know how else to describe.

I'd add Phantom of the Paradise to your list too, at the very least, it's unlike any other film. Sisters, Carrie, and Dressed to Kill are also essential