Name a more underutilized source material for the movie industry than the works of HP lovecraft

name a more underutilized source material for the movie industry than the works of HP lovecraft.

hollywood is bankrupt of idea and originality. in a world of reboots sequels and rehashes i don't understand why NO ONE has ever made a true genuine lovecraftian cosmic horror movie or series.

i dare you to name me ONE movie that stays true to lovecraft and his brand of cosmic horror. you can't, it's never been done.

Barsoom.

Can someone pls explain Lovecraftian to a brainlet
I get the basic idea of cosmic horror, the unknown, insanity, indescribable terror etc but for example what makes True Detective S1 lovecraftian? Is it just Yellow King/Carcosa references or is there more to it?

You're right. But i dont know if i want a company in 2017 destroy his name and his source material by doing bad movies.

is he still alive?

>mom wont drive me to the mall bcuz my room is messy

kys

>Lovecraftian
more like rwchandlerian HPL just stole most of the guy and incorporated into his books.
such a hack

Honestly, a lot of his stories would make better videogames than movies. Like that one story where the narrator grows up in an underworld castle, thinking he's normal; then finally ascends only to have people flee. Then the narrator sees a monster and faints, waking up only to realise that he's the monster.

It would be hard to hide the fact that the main character is a monster in a film. But with a game it could just be in 1st person.

>it..it's.. indescribable and... UNFATHOMABLE! whoooaaaahhbh i'm losing my mind!!! truly sanity and what we perceive as reality is a fragile fragile thing

Edgar Allan Poe

Who is paying all these scrubs to shill Lovecraft recently?
Is disney gearing up to announce a lovecraft film universe?

God is real and he doesn't care about you or anyone.

just one pleb with ZERO friendd

His stuff is overrated and just doesn't work in film. That's why there hasn't been any good Lovecraft movies, because the source material isn't all that good.

Constant ramblings about ancient tentacled gods that existed before times doesn't actually translate into decent entertainment.

I've only read a couple of Lovecraft's stories, but they all basically went like this: there's a guy, crazy thing happens, the guy either turns crazy, or he dies. If you're a brainlet then you'd probably like him desu.

>lovecraftian
>cosmic horror
why are these the new buzzwords around tv and movie discussions? is it the children on summer break who have never read a book? i cant escape this shit.

Lovecraft used the city of Carcosa in some of his works. That's it.

Someone's trying to force Lovecraft into a meme like Sneed or Pickel Rick.

That's like saying you read a few Michael Creighton books and it's nothing but genetic engineering and dinosaurs eating people. There's a lot more variety to Lovecraft's stories, and the bulk of them describe in detail the monsters that he's dealing with. The horror isn't in "going totally crazy indescribable horror", it's the fact that these monsters live in our world as if they are a part of our world.

Whether or not you like Lovecraft is all up to you, but saying that every one of his stories are "omfg I can't even describe this shit to you I'm going insane" is being dishonest. If you don't like him, fine, but stop spouting off nonsense.

It happens once every fifteen years for the last seventy five years. Maybe we'll get some Thing level films out of this one. The Matrix and Pitch Black might bookend the Lovecraft shit from the millennium.

I would watch a cheesy lovecraft inspired tv show.
Like ash vs evil dead or blood drive.

Lots of tentacles, lots of madness, lots of occult, lots of interdimensionnal portal of doom.

I've reached the patrician plateau and I just want fun shit now.

Fuck off, shill.

Crichton?

Lovecraft only works in literature format because of the way he describes things that are visually impossible

There are plenty of movies I just watched recently with "Lovecraftian" type themes. I don't know why it's a fucking meme right now, someone is either trying to push a new movie or they hate Lovecraft so much they are shitposting it everywhere to tie it in with Fedora tipping Rick and Morty fans. I don't know, I don't fucking care.

This movie was pretty good. Ties in the government using LSD and DMT for mind control and numbers stations.

I have a feeling that animation could work though

>I would watch a cheesy lovecraft inspired tv show.
>This week on Lovecraft
>Blaargghhh tentacle monster creature from before time
>Next week on Lovecraft
>Blaargghhh tentacle monster creature from before time, also some thinly veiled gay stuff.

Yeah, sorry. My ex girlfriend's last name is Creighton so out of habit I spell it like that.

watched it the other day, the editing could've been better but i loved the eerie atmosphere.

>I've never read a single Lovecraft story
We get it kid, you googled his name and looked at a picture and saw some tentacles.

Why are fans of this faggot so goddamn smug? lovecraft threads are always full of snobby pricks I swear.

I've read tons of Lovecraft. Sadly he's a one note writer.

Yeah, it's not perfect and I felt they relied a bit too much on jump scares when it would have been better without it.

Have you seen this one? No jump scares or gore, but a deeply unsettling movie.

lovecraft is shit tbqh

In the mouth of madness.

my ex's name is the same as a popular store in my country. sometimes it bother me to pass near one.
But i miss farscape most and your post reminded me of it.

>Why are fans of this faggot so goddamn smug?
There's an illusion of greater depth and mystery that surrounds his work. Meanwhile when you actually take the time to read it, his work is fairly plain and rather underwhelming.

What are you talking about? This thread is nothing but me recommending movies and everyone saying "he's shit lol XD"

Pure frustration my friend, so much wasted potential.

?

it's on my list thanks for the reminder.

Also add this one.

>plain and rather underwhelming.
I really like Lovecraft, it was my introduction into horror books back then. But it's true that it lacks often originality and have redundancy. But Half of his work is fantasy and it's just perfect.

The only thing that kept bothering me about this movie is one of the main characters is a Bradley Cooper knockoff. It's like they took the character from The Hangover and put him into a horror movie, it's distracting. If you watch it, you'll see what I mean.