What's wrong with edgyness?

The very moment someone comments or suggest something remotely dark or bloody inmediately is labeled as "edgy" as if that was inherently bad.

What's so bad about being edgy? When people stopped thinking blades, chains and skulls are badass?

Other urls found in this thread:

otakusmash.com/read-comics/Witch_Doctor_Mal_Practice/001/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Weren't those guys just a parody of the cenobites? In any case Witch Doctor is more dry dark humor than edgy. It's just drawn that way.

People get tired of edge and then return to it later. It's a cirkel.

Source?

This. It's boring and predictable at the moment.
Plus it looks like you're trying too hard to be cool and there's nothing lamer than tryhards.

There is place and time for edginess.

Witch Doctor

Thanks. Do you know the issue?

Edgy is only bad when its used as a tool to make something more interesting/deep whatever. Like shadow the hedgehog game.

It's what the youth of the internet do. They take words and completely delude the meaning. It gets to the point that loses all meaning.

Mary Sue; character I don't like.

>delude.
>"the youth these days"

Time for bed, grampa.

Is it good?

i think it's like issue three or something. i remember it being a fantastic read

Can only find vol.1 of WD, was it cancelled?

Witch Doctor is great, though.

I've read the first few issues and it was surprisingly pretty good.

>What's so bad about being edgy?

It takes you out of the story because you can tell the writer is trying to make you think his character is being badass and cool. Take Jared Leto's Joker for example. Most everyone thought it was lame because of how transparently hard he was trying to come across as dangerous and powerful. Compare with Heath Ledger Joker who was a lot better received because even though he did things that "dark" or violent, he did them in a way that was a lot less self-conscious and had some humor to it. Same thing with Tim Burton works like Nightmare Before Christmas. There's some "dark" content, but there's a weirdness and humor to it that makes it quirky and endearing. Going full on edgy just communicates too much of the writer's desire to make you feel a certain way and when it's too obvious what the writer is trying to make you feel the result is you lose your immersion in the story and get annoyed by the ham-fisted attempt to impress you.

not that user, but I said it the other day; nowadays people cry "edgy" and "mean-spirited" at anything that is not a faggy tumblr-esque show/cartoon.

>Heath Ledger

Mistake. Ledger's Joker was well received despite being a bad character.

Please explain to me how exactly Heath Ledger's Joker was a bad character?

He's just being a Sup Forumsntrarian because normies like The Dark Knight, Ledger's Joker wasn't particularly bad, and was certainly better than Leto's

He was a pretty great character actually. Although we don't even have to argue that point to make the totally uncontroversial claim that he wasn't nearly as bad as Leto Joker.

I don't get it...

It's more about the reliance on edge in bad comics as well as people using at as a buzzword to make something they don't like look bad.

There's nothing wrong with edge but it's easier to use if you're a bad writer and it's easier to use if you're talking shit.

Witch Doctor Vol.02 Mal Practice
otakusmash.com/read-comics/Witch_Doctor_Mal_Practice/001/
it's free but its the only other place I could find it.

Almost correct, Leto's Joker doesn't come off as lame because of trying to hard to seem dangerous, he comes off as lame because of trying too hard to seem eccentric.

Man, I fucking love cenobite-type characters. Give me leather clad, sadistic sexy demons any day.

it has its place

but can obviously be over done

edge is going out of your way to try and make people, not because you have a point to make or a message to get across, but because you just like the idea of making someone experience unpleasantness.

it's cheap, its easy, and it reflects poorly on your capacity as an entertainer because of that.

If it fits the themes or ideas being presented, is restrained, and is well written there is no problem with edginess. When you overdo it, are a shitty writer, and try and force it where it doesn't belong (Sonic being the worst contender in all of those catagories) it can be humorous at best, cringeworthy at worst.

The issue to me is that it doesn't work a lot of the time, it feels like posturing, trying to be disturbing in some way but failing because you can see the trying behind it. It feels like when a kid says "butt" to try and shock adults.
I especially can't help but laugh at villains who wear literally edgy armors with spikes all over the place, I prefer my devil to use seduction and deceit, or even straight-up violence than imagery-based intimidation.

Same reasoning with metalheads.

the only problem with Ledger's Joker is that he didn't have a good Batman to work with.

And really that was mostly because of the voice and the director's fear of letting Batman be a character, Nolan's best scenes as Batman (instead of Wayne) were opposite Joker.

Yeah subtlety and restraint are necessary.

Darker stuff is fine and darker stuff can have a point

It's only edgy when it's not handled well

>guy has 5 scalpels on his hand
>we're going to need more scalpels

There's nothing wrong with it if there's a reason for it that isn't raw shock value or to make your work seem more mature or interesting. It's like Family Guy and Game of Thrones thinking that because they have hardcore sexuality and violence that they're more "adult" than other cartoons/fantasy when it often comes off as being childishly overdone

It's fun when not taken seriously.

But basically this. "Edgy" is when "dark and serious" stuff comes across as tryhard and not actually dark and serious nor edgy, it's just meme edgy.

Of course you can still have really edgy stuff but most of the time it's just try hard.

because edgy isn't realistic
when things are played up not because they are the next logical conclusion, but because they are as dark and sad as possible, it ruins the story and makes people not want to read it

or at least, people who aren't edgelords

dark and edgy can be good, it can add a level of depth to a previously saccharine show, and explore new concepts and themes.

the problem is that dark and edgy by itself can't carry a show or movie, only when combined with good writing that takes advantage of it. it is a tool to be used when appropriate, or a spice to be applied in the right amount. it is very easy to abuse, putting it where not necessary or taking it too far. it is all too common for someone to make a good work, with dark themes, and cause people to jump on the bandwagon without knowing the nuance of darkness, simply making a superficial copy rather than understanding the how and why. its like expecting a wood carving of a clock to tell the time, you can make it look exactly the same, but without true knowledge of clockmaking it will not work

wow i had a dyslexic moment and read "Dr. Who" instead of witch doctor because Dr. Who is edgy sometimes

nothing's wrong with just about anything unless it's being used as a crutch