Why do people love this film?

I actually don't get what people see in this shit

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not great, but it has a fair level of intrigue and mystery to make it watchable.

Numale garbage, probably the worst movie I've spent money on in the past decade to be completely honest

Was irredeemably boring

Villeneuves weakest movie but still a good movie.

I can see why people didn't enjoy it but the hate for it seems so unjustified considering the shit hollywood throws out nowadays. I think people didn't like it because of the ending. The concept of the gift given by aliens was for me very fascinating and it stuck with me. But the movie dealt it in a personal level and in this case from a mother who had lost a child 's perspectice. Some people thought this was lame but I think this was more their problem than the movie's problem. And there are those who say this is some example of "womyn power" message in movies. Those people didn't even watch the film.

Anyway I liked the atmosphere, music, acting was OK and the overall tone had this mystery feeling. And the implications of the ending, what it means to the human race. It's fun to speculate what would happen.

I'll list my impressions.

I liked the first contact scene, one of the best executed first contact scenes in cinema history.

Where others would fully show the aliens in the first scene and lose all the tension in later sequences, Villeneuve builds up to the moment with Amy Adams freezing right at the point of contact and a sudden jump cut to the decontamination chamber which serves almost like a jump scare to the audience and we get to finally breathe just like the characters in the movie do.
He doesn't need to show us what happened there, we know that they failed to communicate and there's no point in wasting screen time with that and we are still eager to see the aliens in the following scenes.

Perfect tension building and release dynamic, brilliantly executed. Top notch editing too.
I liked the cinematography by Bradford Young, props for him not going for a standard sci fi look, also loved the framing and composition which makes the viewer in the main protagonists shoes
I liked the use of sound design, where in other films sound design is used just to "fill the form", in Arrival it's used as an actual storytelling element where clues from the future are being interplayed with the current narrative.
I liked the score by Johannsson
I liked the production design, the blend of practicals with CGI.
I liked Amy Adams performance and her character development.
I liked how was the main narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death effectively handled through a sci fi setting, showing how we should appreciate every waking moment of our life. The ayylmaos and the science are only the setting for the actual story, anyone who expected this to be a "hard sci fi" about aliens were terribly wrong.

The negatives would be underwritten/underused Renner and Whitaker characters, also some cheesy lines in the third act coupled with a bit of too much exposition.

That’s about it.

It was a great movie. Liked it from the beginning to the end. It was fantastic.

Will probably watch it again in a year or two. It was amazing. What an experience.

10/10

What really bothered me was simply the notion that the squids couldn't learn human language.

I really did like the ending / shamalmatwist though.

It isn't about males.

>What really bothered me was simply the notion that the squids couldn't learn human language.
It's not that they couldn't learn human language, they were purposefully passive so humans start working together to solve the problem so they all as a species can help the ayylmaos with whatever happens in 3000 years.

Because it's brety gud and decent science fiction movies, especiall with aliens, are hard to come by.

I will resume Arrival for all of you

MISINFORMATION

the movie was made to make you believe that aliens are in "development" like us and are unable to communicate with as using our language

its A LIE

greys, reptilians, dracoreptilians, plaeidians, insectoids etc... are so advanced that its an insult to universal life itself

i am in contact with many life forms, even if english is not my first language

fuck the jews and movies like this

I only wish that they kept one of the original stories of each ship giving the nation they're in a different type of technology (I think Pakistan was able to control gravity) with the hope that the world would share their gifts. I forgot where I read about that and can only find the blueprints storyline.

this. The jewish diaspora is keeping humanity from going interstellar with the help of extraterrestrial species. They are keeping us as dumb cattle

Well my theory goes that these squids are 4th dimensional beings so they experience all time at once. What this could mean that they already know human language in advance, in fact they know everything about us and I mean everything. So, they come to earth because they need our help for an unknown reason. Their mission is to teach us their language because that is the gift of time travelling and they need us to learn this ability so we can help them in the future. So what would be the best and most efficient way to teach humans this language? By tricking them into thinking that they are also teaching human language to the them. You have to consider the situation that there's no other option for the aliens to give us this ability at the first contact. They are basically fooling humans into learning their language and transcending us into non linear time. So, the aliens basically forced the main character to have the gift to experience time non linearly. I think thats pretty dark to be honest, i mean would you really want that without you having choice on the matter? To know everything what happens in your life.

>think thats pretty dark to be honest, i mean would you really want that without you having choice on the matter? To know everything what happens in your life.
Not that dark if you think about it. The film shows how if you would know your whole life from start to finish you would find beauty and joy from the smallest bits of moments in days which you may take now for granted (hence her daughter)

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Villeneuve to maybe clear things up for you:
>"The idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage."

So it's about embracing death (instead of denying it like we do) as an essential part of life and appreciating every waking moment of it.

>have nothing to compare the alien language to
>still crack their language after 2 weeks

>enter alien vessel for the first time
>take of clothes and dance around naked because the bird doesn't explode upon entry

And then there's the fact that the movie is incredibly dull in general.
Only women liked this movie.

It took months so stop lying (which is still not much but whatever its a movie).

And lead character took the suit off on the 3rd or 4th time. I think they had already analyzed how safe it was. I mean this wasn't near prometheus-level stupidity.

But you didn't even watch the movie so whatever.

because it's the greatest heist movie of the 21st century

I sat through all 3 hours of that atrocity.

Firstly, if you don't have anything to compare a language to, then you can't crack it, period.

Secondly, the protagonist was absolutely retarded, and only a women would be capable of finding her actions in any way rational.

Plebs and women who think amy adams can act. Seriously there's some letterboxd chick who praises amy adams like a god when she's fucking horrible in this and then goes on to insult other actresses who have charisma for having none.

I thought it was a nicely original take on sci-fi. The movie though leaves you tasting kind of like nothing. Not much happens, the characters are not engaging, and the movie is as a whole probably much better on paper than on screen for what, about 2 hours?
Pretty forgettable imo

>Firstly, if you don't have anything to compare a language to, then you can't crack it, period.
t. someone who doesn't know shit about linguistics/decoding

They made that unknown coffee stain language from scratch and the actually hired people to solve it like it's an actual alien language, Stephen Wolfram and his son were the head of the programming and mathematics in the movie and all the programming and calculations you see in it are actual data, not just made up shit. So I'm pretty sure they know how translations work.
Here's a good read from Stephen himself blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/

then youre a brainlet

Because for once it's about aliens who don't have the conquer and kill idea

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone

>the Rosetta Stone proved to be the key to deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs.

>Prior to the discovery of the Rosetta Stone and its eventual decipherment, the ancient Egyptian language and script had not been understood since shortly before the fall of the Roman Empire.

If we can't even decipher one of our own languages with no key, we can't translate a 4. dimensional beings language with nothing but a pencil.

Also because it's rare to see a alien film that not action or horror

The plot problem is that language — spoken, written, whatever — is ambiguous. At one point, the squid-things declare: “There is no time.” Is that a warning — or a philosophy? Are these aliens a warrior race, or just hardcore fans of McConaughey from True Detective? (Their writing, you will notice, is flat circles.)

There’s an angle where this could be wild and interesting. But the film loses its ambition. Having established that Banks’ consciousness has broken through the usual flow of time-space, Arrival deploys her ascendance as a plot weapon. To stop China from launching an attack, Banks’ consciousness time-hops forward 18 months, where a helpful Chinese general tells her how she saved the world that one time. Actually, the way Banks saves the world is by calling the Chinese general and reminding him of his dead wife. Maybe you think that’s emotional; worth pointing out, maybe, that in Batman v Superman, the world gets saved because one guy says something that reminds another guy of his dead mom.

And the narrative trickery obscures a bigger problem. When you dig underneath all the pop-science whiteboarding and mystery-theater theorizing and globalist paranoia, Arrival as a text is pretty sentimental, simple, inoffensive, and bland. It comes on like thoughtful sci-fi, but the thoughts aren’t challenging, the science fuzzy, the fiction unconvincing. Communication is difficult, Arrival tells us, but not impossible. All ambiguities can become certainties. The aliens are here to help us; we can learn how to help each other. Here’s a film that perches the world on the edge of Armageddon, and concludes that, in order to save the world, we really need to be excellent to each other.

“Agreed!” you might say, and “So what?” I guess you could credit Arrival for good intentions, and maybe it’s churlish given the times we live in to deplore a movie for sentimentally believing that all the problems of the world can be solved with a healthy conversation. The Renner Romance and the Cute Daughter = happy feels and sad feels. Never mind that the romance is nonexistent, that the Cute Daughter has all the personality of the cute daughter from a smartphone commercial scored to Sigur Ros.

But it’s frustrating, how completely Arrival stacks its own deck. And how it mixes together its listless ideas. What had been a movie about the difficulty of communication becomes, suddenly, a film about accepting loss, or maybe the struggle from loneliness toward the possibility of loss. As the film ends, Banks ponders: Will she live out her life, knowing how it ends, knowing the unhappiness awaiting her? Can she appreciate every moment, the good and the bad? I dunno, what do you think? Arrival comes on like thoughtful science fiction, but it’s more like a religious fable, doing all the thinking and the feeling for you. “Are you Pro-Goodness or anti-Cute Daughter?” is the question of the movie. There is no third option.

Did you forget that in the film they actually interacted with the aliens for months on 12 different places? Did you forget that they had an active conversation and information sharing?
Your argument would be valid if the aliens just spat those circles all across the earth and left immediately, but that certainly wasn't the case, was it?

The aliens gave them fuck all except for a bit of text.
And then the protagonist magically cracks their language.

That's it.

shut up numale

At least give credit for your blatant copypasta of some random Internet article

at least accept that Arrival was irredeemable garbage

You forgot that 11 other places have helped and made it altogether, Louise only did the last step. They interacted with all of them on all sites. Your argument really has no ground, if you could interact with ancient Egyptians the same way you would crack that also, ask your local student linguist.

They didn't interact with shit, they stood around, waited for the aliens to throw up some floating text, and then got the protagonist to decipher it via magic.

not at any time was there any scene where the aliens gave her any information about their language, which should be completely incomprehensible to a 3. dimensional being.

>"I can't form a single valid coherent argument so I have to search for an appropriate article I can copypaste to oblivion"
Pathetic

>not at any time was there any scene where the aliens gave her any information about their language
What about all the board writing stuff? Loiuse writing things like "human, walking, time" and getting instant feedback from them? They did that for months and gained a whole vocabulary. And then they get that image of thousands of tiny circles to program them. And that's all just from a single site. It's all pretty clear, your argument really has no ground.

Again, go take a quick read at that Stephen Wolfram link I gave you so you stop embarassing yourself.

id kick ur ass irl faggot lol

>Was irredeemably boring
Ah, there it is.. The illusive capeshit fan, prowling the threads for a quick a diss at movies that have more than a sentence per minute in them.

It's Blindsight for normies.