So what's going on with the Avatar comics/EU?

So what's going on with the Avatar comics/EU?

I've heard they're disappointing.

They're not terrible but they certainly don't live up to the TV series.

This panel was good. Can't believe they got away with it.

The best one is the confirmation of Zucest and Zuko's weird willingness to have all his female family members

So much for a serious conversation.

First one sucks. Second and third one were okay. Fourth was shit.

Gurihiru's art is the only thing that makes them worth reading.

>confirmation of Zucest
wat?

It's a meme.

I mean, it could be better, but I think they're doing well with what is about 1 book each year, and the constraint of having to have the pieces still fit with the sequel series and not leaping too far away from the status quo of the series finale

>and not leaping too far away from the status quo of the series finale
Why is this necessary?

The only status quo they have to keep is Katara and Aang having children and the establishment of Republic City. The rest shouldn't get in the way of potential stories.

Well, considering how the tease of ending Zuko and Mai's relationship went, I think a lot of the fanbase wants to keep the group as they were at the finale

Personally I'll be happy if they find a way to end Azula's story without a redemption arc, hopefully she has got something sinister planned

No you stupid idiot.

Azula will have a redemption story and it will show her for the hero she truly is.

Every single time spirits get involved, everything turns to shit. Much like in Korra.

>Azula will have a redemption story and it will show her for the hero she truly is.

Heresy!

>Well, considering how the tease of ending Zuko and Mai's relationship went, I think a lot of the fanbase wants to keep the group as they were at the finale
Writing for the purpose of appeasing a fanbase is never a good idea.

Sure, but one should be careful to not scorn the target audience as well, but I definitely think it's for the better for the story if they give themselves a bit of a wiggle room

Bullshit Azula deserves to be happy.

>ure, but one should be careful to not scorn the target audience as well
Is Mai and Zuko's relationship really that important to most readers? And if anything, changing something up like that could get people back to the series/books just to see what's going on. Playing it safe offers no incentive to fans of the show to check out the books if they already have a good idea about how things will turn out anyway.

This. I could not give less of a shit about Zuko/Mai, and in fact the slight hints that Zuko and Suki might have something are really interesting. It's the equivalent of throwing a grenade into the Gaang's chemistry, because of course the pairing would involve Sokka getting cucked. It's a neat idea with potentially interesting repercussions.

I just find the idea that everyone ends up with their teenage sweet heart kind of dumb.

The shipping is the least interesting part of the series/comics and I for one am glad that they're not touching it.
Fuck that shit.

That too.

Seriously, Zuki is the only reason I'm even reading Yang's comics at this point. I don't care about the founding of Republic City, and I barely care about what happened to Ursa.

>The shipping is the least interesting part of the series/comics
Considering how much focus Mai and Zuko's will they/won't they relationship gets in the comics, and how much they've fucked up stuff like the Ursa plot line, you must hate the comics.

Relationships and pairings have always been a huge deal in the Avatar fandom.

Maiko has a sizable audience of fangirls that came in late and self inserted on Mai rather than on Katara but I don't think that there would be that big of a chimp out if Zuko ended up with somebody else.

However, Smoke and Shadow already wasted too much time on that shitty relationship for it to not be endgame.

ATLA's styled as an old timey mythological, traditional hero story where the good guys all live happly ever after, it's fitting that they all found their soulmates.
It was weird that 14-15 year old were commanding giant armies but that's the way these tales go.

>Zuki is the only reason I'm even reading Yang's comics at this point
... but that's clearly not going to happen

Yeah, which is why I've never been assed to actually buy the comics. I just read it here on Sup Forums.

Sometimes I get the feeling Yang is writing for an audience younger than the ones that watched the show, or at least isn't as respectful of that audience. After a rewatch of Avatar, and the way it approaches things with a seriousness and maturity (occasionally punctuated with comedy) Yang's ideas seem a lot more immaturely conveyed, like they're dumbed down for the boys and girls at home.

No one was killed onscreen in Avatar, but there was a consistent fear of death and references to people being killed or the potential that they could be killed in the course of their adventure. It feels like Yang won't approach that same tension in a serious way.

That and, unlike the show, Yang just writes stupid villains. The show always did a good job of keeping the bad guys competent, they're never outright idiotic and when they fail it feels like they fail because of their character rather than because of bad writing.

I like them personally, but there's only so much that can be done with characters whose story has come to a close.
Zuko's the only one with plotlines still open, but they're not as interesting as I imagined them to be. Azula's antagonism has reduced her to a recurring villain, which they can't really conclude because there's no other running plot to fall back on.
The quality wavers, the first 3 stories got increasingly better to the point that The Rift was a really fun series that felt like the show, but then Smoke and Shadow was a stinker. North and South had a really good first issue, so I've hopes for this story.

I don't understand, I think they're great

I like them too, user.

For some reason, Gene Luen Yang keeps making incest jabs throughout all the comics.

oh, how I hate his writing.
New Super-man's the only thing I've liked from him.

They're all over the place, but none of them are really that good. They've got moments though.

>The Promise
Does a great job at fleshing out Ozai while still keeping him evil. Rest of the comic isn't great and it feels like most of the conflict could have been avoided.

>The Search
Mediocre at best. All the twists were pretty lame and it somehow gives a character parent issues that clearly shouldn't have parent issues.

>The Rift
Probably the closest to an actual ATLA episode. I would liken it to an actually decent version of The Painted Lady.

>Smoke and Shadow
Shit. The whole thing was bullshit Any one who says it's good is Scrapper. Much like this guy is Scrapper.

>but none of them are really that good.
Do you think the problem is Yang's writing, or ideas coming from editorial that he's forced to incorporate?

Personally I think the series could stand to be given out to more creative teams than just Yang.

>Gene Luen Yang keeps making incest jabs throughout all the comics.
He doesn't. They are just blown out of proportion by crazy fans.

The closest thing there is to an actual incest jab is Sokka mistaking a brother and sister for a married couple.

>he hasn't seen the preview of North and South part 2 that has a double page spread of Sokka hotdogging Katara's ass and nutting on her back
I was innocent like you once

What editorial? Bryke? They can't be solely responsible for everything in the franchise after Book 2 sucking. Interference from Nickelodeon? Does anyone at Nickelodeon still give a shit about Avatar after Korra fell below expectations?

Personally I think the series could stand to be given out to more creative teams than just Yang.

This.

When does the next one come out? Wasn't it supposed to involve some shit with the Water Tribes?

Part 1 already came out. Part 2 will be released early next year.

I liked the first one. Art and humor is on point. Story brought up right questions and there are a lot of great moments between Ozai and Zuko.

I heard only bad things about second one, I remember wanting to binge read it once it was out, but after learning spoilers I am not really hot on that one. I will do it someday, though.

I'd say the Search was more solidly written than the Promise. People might not like the reveal but it's still a more focused story with a better handle on the characters.

First issue is just Sokka/Katara adventures and it's pretty fun

Is it wrong that I find the third panel really cute?

>Shit. The whole thing was bullshit Any one who says it's good is Scrapper. Much like this guy is Scrapper.

I'm not Scrapper I just think Azula got the raw deal and should be given a second chance.

Kiyi

Kiyi's great
Definitely the best child Ursa ever had

>keeps making incest jabs throughout all the comics.
>I hate his writing
Does not compute

Go fuck yourself.

This... Actually makes sense.

Yeah, that's unfair to Zuko. He is a good child too.

Azula is the best. Hands freaking down.

Azula is a monster

No she isn't she's a little girl.

>I barely care about what happened to Ursa
Man, fuck Ursa

Right? Who cares? We should have found out at the end of the show if we were going to find out at all. We didn't need a whole comic about her, the only interesting contribution she's made to the world of Avatar was what we already saw in "Zuko Alone."