The holy mountain

can someone redpile me on the holy mountain and why every goddamn film related youtube channel speaks about it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s4RtK3mhDRw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's the first memefilm.

Watch it and make up your own damn mind, get the memes out of your mouth.

It iss a travel zruu enlaightment

it's beautiful filth

Stop watching those shitty video essay channels.
The Holy Mountain is a very divisive film, and I won't look down on anyone who hates it, even though I personally love it. No matter what you'll think of it, it's a must watch for the unique and unforgettable experience.

In popular music that you're probably familiar with, there's an audience that likes and responds better to evocative gibberish than to anything with a clear and simple meaning. It lets them flatter themselves, that they're somehow above the more common people who like clear and simple, if they need that from their art. And it gives them some kind of thing to turn over and think about and try to unravel, if that part is something they're after. Popular art films like Holy Mountain do the same thing, for the same audience, for the same reasons. More serious art films are basically totally inaccessable without a proper education and background. It's that, really, that drives the whole thing. That there's something some people don't get and won't be able to get no matter how hard they try means they grasp onto anything that's in their reach instead, like a drowning person clinging to a broken bit of ship railing.

Seconded, those online film critique channels are fucking cancer. I swear to god, every insufferable pseudo-intellectual 20-something guy is now a cultural critic.

/thread

in coming triggered aut right inbred rednecks

No, The Holy Mountain is easier to get into because it's mainly a visual experience. It also exposes the pseudo-intellectuals as it's above all Jodorowsky's visual creativity unleashed, so those who ascribe it some super deep meaning and those who thinks it tries to be very deep fail.

It's alright. The kind of movie that throws a lot of symbolism at you, but where the creator didn't really have a singular definitive meaning for any of it it mind. You as the viewer are supposed to 'discover' what the film is about in your own subjective way

Half masturbatory crap, half stuff that kind of makes you think. I enjoyed it but it's nothing too amazing. It's more original for sure, compared to mainstream films

>Popular art films like Holy Mountain do the same thing

didn't watch it all the way through

>didn't really have a singular definitive meaning for any of it it mind
not true, his words, not mine

It's a good movie. You should watch it. One of the very few cases where an extremely odd idea was realized with really high production values. It's this great, mystical epic with extremely elaborate sets and costumes... really impressive.

Oh ok. It's been many years since I watched the movie / read up about it / watched Jodorowsky interviews. He had specific meanings for a lot of the symbols?

Because someone told them to like it.

Now El Topo? That's a certified triple platinum kinograph.

Nearly all of the symbolism is about the tarot.

It's the sort of film that defies reality at every turn.

>there's an audience that likes and responds better to evocative gibberish than to anything with a clear and simple meaning.
Give me some examples.

>More serious art films are basically totally inaccessable without a proper education and background

Name even one

Its a Lovecraftian nightmare about religion that has Kafkaesque elements

You are Chuck, you can turn yourself into Sneed

...but the holy mountain has a clear and simple meaning. Did you even watch it? It literally slaps you in the face with the point at the end. But its cute that you think people who like it must have some alternative motive of flattering themselves. Basically, you didn't get it, so it must make sense to no one right?

So what is the point then?

Holocaust did not happen.

Why don't you just watch the film? El Topo is better than Holy Mountain anyway just watch them both.

The human quest for immortality is fruitless. Religion and industry are tools that play on this and stop people from living authentic lives. The film posits (whether right or wrong) that by divorcing ourselves from these things we can achieve enlightenment and peace.

I don't agree with what the film has to say personally, but to say it is lacking clarity is ridiculous.

first film where Jodo was able to get other people to pay him to film his shit fetish.

he tried with Dune, and they all turned 360 and walked away.

>it's a Jodo 'raped her, raped her with love' episode
toplel

Because jordowsky is a subhuman rapist scum

>shit fetish.
he's said that it's about how people are conditioned from birth to think of themselves in a certain way,
how if a kid is properly potty trained the act of shitting is thought of as a good thing that the kid can even be proud of, putting it in the alchemical context for him being the ultimate form of this

youtube.com/watch?v=s4RtK3mhDRw

"I wanted to finish the movie in a restaurant that I considered a depiction of paradise, the thief, his woman, and the monkey were there and assisted an actual birth with a woman who didn't make it last second so I couldn't shoot the scene"
"The movie ends with a real illumination; the new life, the new man."

>Being so enlighted you know thots are nothing but bags of flesh designed for sex
>subhuman

Bitchs don't fuck with whiteknights.

Maybe fuck off to another thread if this guy's films fuck you up so much.

If you turn 360ยบ from Jorodowski you're gonna walk right into him again

Which YouTube of this video has the biggest retard review?

if you turn 365degs from Jodo and walk away, you will enter a new plane of being where YOU are now Jodorowsky. So yes, in a sense you would be walkign right into him again

pinnacle of pleb bait

it completely jumps the shark after the shit sequence

actually, the only part of the movie that is "great" is the scene where he is entering the weird chamber and all the colors are super bright. rest is memes

I agree. He's the Seth Rogen of the """art""" scene, you can read about the panic movement to really understand just how full of himself he really is