What defines BAD animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J1cHAzKta9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's made in Japan.

Being western.

If Amerifats make it.

NuPPG

My personal definition is when it looks cheap and mass produced. When you can tell that they've cut corners everywhere and theres no heart to it. Choppy motion, recycled frames, slow pans of still shots, twitching and jiggling, interchangeable character design - basically all the qualities that make anime what it is. They care more about getting it done as quick as possible. They dont care about making it look good.

When they have to use whipcracks to cover it up.

Hide and report Sup Forums spam.

Reminder that weebs are basically bronies.

this is rather subjective, since this is the internet and nothing is sacred

there are no definitive examples, its easy to find someone who likes a certain show, even an unpopular one, even if only as a guilty pleasure

there are a few that are beyond the defence of all but the darkest regions of society
>the nutshack
>allen gregory
>bordertown
these shows share a few traits
>choppy or poor animation
>shock value
>racist /sexist stereotypes
>characters seen as highly unsympathetic or even villainous

now, while just one of these is not enough to doom a show, having all of these, and plenty more, combined make them the absolute bottom of the barrel

if you do happen to like these, then there is nothing i can do or say to change your opinion

God, I loved Mega Manlets growing up.

>Make one well drawn frame
>Have it on screen for 30 seconds while people offscreen talk
>Call it animation

Such blatant padding to meet time slot. What shit anime is this from? Do Western animators ever do shit like this to meet expected time?

Bronies are better.

Seth McFarlan does it all the time

>OVA
>Meet time slot
>character trying to adjust to losing an arm is 'just padding'
i'm takin the b8

For me most anime isn't bad at a technical level, a lot of it is downright gorgeous, what I find to be painful is that they overstuff each frame and second with so much detail or movement that we can't see what's going on half the time. For me that constitutes one definition of 'bad'.

If you can't tell what's going on with the sound muted it's fucking SHIT.

The quality of any work is measured by how effective it is... Is it convincing? Does it communicate what it's suppose to? Does it entertain?

You could have some of the most realistic, beautiful and fluid motion in the world, but if it doesn't convey any of the things it was suppose to and doesn't make the audience feel anything then the effort is wasted. Likewise, you can have unrealistic, minimalistic and jumpy animation that just screams personality and hits every note it needs to.

Quality is not defined by technique alone, since any technique when used well can be effective. What defines bad animation is when instead of adding to a scene, it actually detracts from it.

incomprehensibility

Something so shoddy that it defies any sort of suspension of disbeliefe.

Something you can look at and say with confidence:

>this should not look like this
>this has fuckall to do with style, this looks like shit

this is amazing

Lack of detail is a defining quality of anime. You are completely wrong.

You posted a terrible example, everybody can understand what's happening in that clip

You've horribly misinterpreted what I said.

This is bad animation.

Scarlett Johansson is going to ruin GITS forever

T-Thanks for nothing

this reminds me of Sup Forums's "forced animation" meme

Sup Forums is just stupid and has an inferiority complex wirh anime.

I have no idea what that is.

none of their eyes are even aligned properly, super is so trash

I think it's just to troll SHAFT stuff.

>le Zamasu sky wallpaper

Top fucking kek

man Toriyama's style really doesn't work in modern animation.

Increasing amounts of detail is actually a problem in the industry these days. Even veteran animators have complained about modern character designs being a pain to animate and they would rather have more animation-friendly designs that allows animators to create more movement instead.

>implying it's not already ruined
Hopefully can't be worse than the crap that is pic related.

It has nothing to do with modern animation. The drawings in that shot are simply off-model.

Why don't western cartoons use dramatic shading?

That looks awful.

It looks good though.

nah

They do, but not as often.

More than likely a misinterpretation of the actual mistake of over-animating a scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=J1cHAzKta9w

>tfw even fucking Pokemon has better animation than DBS now.

Here's a link to the opposite thread from yesterday.

Nah. It's just individual ignorant people who shout the loudest. Check this thread to see what I mean.

Why don't the Japanese just guest animate for all western cartoons?

I've seen this movie so I know what's going on.

Are people not realizing what's going on?

asking Sup Forums what makes good animation is like asking Sup Forums what makes a good politician. Even people like Dodson actually have better knowledge of animation than Sup Forums.

Hey Dodson
WE GOT DODSON HERE

Nobody cares

it's a stretched out scene of something completely fucking mundane

Has nothing to do with that. It's animated like shit. There is very little sense of weight or proper momentum here. The way she moves is robotic and very inhuman.

>it's a stretched out scene of something completely fucking mundane
This is why no one tries to be subtle anymore.

The story gives context as to why her eating a shitty ice-cream is important.

Well she is kind of, err, abnormal.

Having one arm makes everything like that

It depends on where it originated and what style it uses. Japanese animation uses fewer in between frames and relies more on smears to show an action being performed. Western animation uses a lot more in between frames and relies more on smooth movements throughout an entire action.
The difference is a shot by shot scene of an olympic sprinter and a humming bird being filmed.
Both are valid and I think it only fails when it tries too much to ape the other's style.
Tldr western is more static while having smoother animation because of it and japanese animation is more free flowing because of using smear frames to fill in in between frames.

I believe the worst thing animation can be is ineffective. When the illusion is broken and you become aware that you are watching a production, rather than being involved or enthralled in the story and visuals, it has failed in what it set out to do. The style and the overall quality are usually more subjective (with the exception of technical flaws), that they work for the story playing out is all the really matters.

Most American cartoons don't have the kind of dramatic moments that would benefit from the technique.

what in the ghost in the shell universe is actually worth checking out, I've watched the 1995 film a million times, and then I watched all of ARISE and it was... fine.. are the original manga worth picking up?

>not watching SAC

Gits: Innocence is on par with the original.The old tv series is good too, especially season 2.

I dropped Arise after 1 or 2 episodes.

1.If the motion doesn't look silky smooth
2.If the actions don't make sense
3.If you choreograph it horribly

Call me an idiot, but I actually liked SAC more than the original movie.

You are the reason why we can't have subtle scenes and must have everyone either announce everything or explain everything through exposition. You fucking ignoramous

I was watching some of the old Superman cartoons the other day, and it was a little jarring just how much more animated and less static the characters were. Even with the simple style, backgrounds moved, clothes creased, people moved more than one part of their bodies at a time.

Don't get me started on the 'narrators' that have started popping up in animes. That shit is getting out of hand.

arise episode 2 was nonsense. the fourth one which was a movie here in the USA was okay, there are some cool concepts. I honestly couldn't tell you what Arise was even about actually fuck arise.

The god-tier '40s ones?

I bet you think garbage like Angel's Egg is good if you like shit with no dialogue

No, the Bruce Timm one, Koko/Dong Yang episodes to be precise.

>garbage like Angel's Egg
>Angel's Egg
>garbage
Infidel

Tell me more?

>1996
>old
yeah, ok

This is good animation.

It's 20 years old, it's OLD.
In short.

TAC/Jade = the truly bad studio (since Jade was the one doing all the work) on Superman:TAS.

Koko/Dong Yang = passable at best, not as bad as Akom but you could do alot better.

TMS = God tier, nuff said.

Better then Voltron:LD thats for sure.

It's just sloppy art. None of them are on model.

Anything is better than the animation by Mir.

No you are thinking of Glen Kennedy.

>It's 20 years old, it's OLD.
Goodbye, user. I loved you.

I know, see

He was asking about the Bruce Timm show after all.

They were never really on model though.

What are you talking about? He said the art style doesn't translate to modern animation and I said it's because the drawings themselves are bad due to being off model

Well if Weaboos wont come here posting anime reaction faces and telling us cartoon girls are fugly it would be different.

>website created to discuss anime
>people who are tumblr light insulting anime

What kind of retardation is this?

it barely moves

Willfully ignoring the basic principles of animation is a good start.

Poor staging.
No sense of timing.
Bad drawings that lose mass.
Dead-stops, showing a complete disregard for weight.

Yeah, classically shit.

This pretty much.

Style means nothing if suspension of disbelief is broken.

That's because Nintendo is really big on quality control for that.

Tweens. It feels like tweens. It's smooth, but feels a little over animated (surprisingly that is a thing). I guess that's the joke?

That is pretty shitty.

Anything made by Canada and Calarts.

Spiderman trying to open a fucking window

Canada used to make good animation, but now we just make stuff on par with someone from the early 2000's who was good at using Flash.

Nobody fucking cares and you are on a non-weeb board. The only reason to bring up Sup Forums being founded by weebs is to BTFO out of storm-niggers who like to claim Sup Forums was always right wing

Outside of that, there is no reason to post weeb shit. Please try and talk about Manga on /lit/ and see how that goes.

>take Gits
>reinvent the major for the kawaii uguu waifu crowd and make half the show about how her day is going
>also she's robot Jesus now
Arise isn't really as terrible as it should be, but it's still pretty dumb.

Sound ass, but to be fair SAC Major is stiff, distant, and difficult to give a shit about. Tough slate for a series lead.

>BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH

I think there was heart to it ones but it japs have lost it long time ago