youtube.com/watch?v=IpKDUCR9IeM
youtube.com/watch?v=J3BpOKzEdMI
youtube.com/watch?v=Q36SmAVfjfs
youtube.com/watch?v=H-inXLtuXV4
youtube.com/watch?v=KlXGzUouqjE
youtube.com/watch?v=a044LBiRPiM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The details.

Yeah, it's not TECHNICALLY necessary to animate Sylvester's fur blowing with the wind, but doing so gives it a sense of realism, you can actually BELIEVE that they're going fast because his fur is whipping around. Paying close attention to how each individual element is playing out in a scene is vital to making a good animation, and is where a lot of cartoons these days fall short.

Complements the dialog and sound to produce a harmonic story that couldn't exist without all elements combined.

Indeed.

I think is why Marvel suffers. They have designs that are way too detailed that the animators spend so much time drawing Black Panther's suit that they can't get the action

Just about.

This has always been a problem with Spider-man in particular. The webbing on his suit makes him extremely difficult to animate.

Crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of their women

How the fuck did TMS do it? Seriously, their animation for all WB cartoons were amazing.
They worked with the character designs given to them, and gave them so much life that put all other contracted studios to shame. It feels so vibrant and alive.

They're gifted.

In short read this.

Forgot image.

Not being based off the west.

So what's the deal with Sup Forums right now?
Did all the animes went on hiatus at the same time or something?

>TMS
>American

Is this a new meme?

That's supposed to be the joke, I guess.

Timing > Fluidity

Watch this vid.

youtube.com/watch?v=-PKNuZovuSw

It doesn't matter how many frames you make, it'll be lifeless without the proper momentum. I'm not saying everything should be like Tom & Jerry, this applies to all levels of animation. If it remains consistent and doesn't flow like a jelly, it's good.

why are there so many animation errors in that video

that's some mastercrafted bait right there

American animation inspired Japanese animation.

Ke$ha doesn't deserve this atrocity.

Use of the twelve principles.

It almost never looks good though.
You might as well just hire a Japanese studio to do the animation at that point.

Comparing a web animation made by like six people to feature or broadcast animation made by an army of people.

What the fuck is wrong with you Sup Forums

At the start, few decades after WW2 they went and made shit with their own identity and techniques.

That's why consistency is also important. She bit off more than she could chew by wanting to animate like one of her Disney movies, but resulted in a sloppy, choppy mess.

looking good

Why is anime always so choppy? They have more frames but they decide to play it slowly, are they retarded?

Previous thread

Meh, Animation all around the world was shit, but by pure luck one american once decided to do things differently and that spawned many more people who followed his ideals.

that Silvester clip was likely outsourced and animated in Korea

Oh for sure. But if she had to spend time on it and she wanted it done by a certain date she's had to cut corners.

I completely agree it's a mess though I just don't think it's a fair comparison when you consider man hours. Also she probably wasn't paying herself to make it.

Anyone got any webms? I'll dump what I got in a sec (I only have like one or two atm, need to save more)

why are you reposting this ecact same thread five times a day

My other webm was just a time-lapse for stop-motion, but, at least it's something.

Anime budgets are miniscule.

Using Richard Williams is cheating. Dude animated on 1's.

Oh my, I just thought all the girls were viking opera-fat, but each one has a different body type.
There's a complete landwhale and most in the throne are actually quite curvy in the good sense.

i agree. animation being great doesnt mean its fluid, sorry loud house. its about motion and timing. richard williams discusses just how important timing, motion, and momentum is in making a successful illusion of movement.

but of course, cartoons are not only to be judged for their animation. there are so many aspects of cartoons... writing, character design, concepts, etc., and just because the animation is great doesnt immediately mean the actual cartoon or movie is great. and things truly are subjective, people like what they like, but considering animation and exempting the other aspects of what makes up a cartoon, timing and momentum is certainly the most important part of making animation great and the illusion of motion and movement convincing.

A lot of it depends on what kind of style you're going for.

A lot of talent in animation goes into providing a sense of "weight". Working with parabolic motion is often key. Knowing how musculature shifts and recognizing the transfer of energy that takes place provides a sense of realism. This is only crucial though if you're trying to make a series that obeys rudimentary laws of physics. If you're focusing on being stylistic, a lot of it goes into using as many frames per second to exaggerate whatever "physics" you're trying to establish.

Yes she does.

What would you say is the most impressive cut you've ever seen in any animated production?

youtube.com/watch?v=gbUYwvM7PlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IpKDUCR9IeM

Either one of these probably.
Asuka's Dance or Asuka's fight against the MPE. I honestly don't even know if they're the most impressive. But each by far left the best impression on me.

I honestly like limited animation more. Full animation tends to look very floaty and linear.

Limited animation is fucking shit.

>That lighting

Always gets me rock hard

It makes me laugh to know there are people in this thread who have been turned on by both of these scenes.

The tinker bell one is fine though.

Fuck, put me in the mood for some Lupin.

watch castle of cagliostro nigger

This fight was basically 2 episodes of good animation, not only that but good fighting coreography since honestly good animation alone is boring after a while.

I don't really have webms of human fighting though.

What is she doing

has someone posted the "weightless" meme yet

I've seen student films that could rival big studio cartoons, though. So saying, "You can't compare A with B because A was animated by one person/was done with a tiny team on a deadline!". Yeah? Well so was this:
youtube.com/watch?v=J3BpOKzEdMI

And this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Q36SmAVfjfs

And this:
youtube.com/watch?v=H-inXLtuXV4

And this:
youtube.com/watch?v=KlXGzUouqjE

Talented artists can get a ton of shit done if they are passionate and smart enough. Problem is, the girl who animated that video, despite having animated for about 5 years or so, was far below the skill level needed to pull off what she wanted. So she was passionate enough to get it done, but not smart enough to use her strengths or to analyze her own errors and fix them.

none of these compare to any japanese studio though

k.

>that zoom out

How the fuck would you even do that?

>Spoiled brad generation
That's why we don't have nice things together.

She sees a mirror, stands on it, admires her own reflection, then notices her hips seem a bit wide. So she tries to measure her own hips using her hands, and she's upset because she thinks she's fat.

Is that angle looking up at her through the reflection cut on some of the home video releases? I don't remember this scene being so lewd.

What's the top left one on the top second 4X4 panel?

gonna need some help with the sauces here

I get the other cartoon network shows, but why is Star vs the FOE and Steven Universe considered bad animation? That is just retarded.

this is blowing my fucking mind right now holy shit

french animation styles like this always get me. I grew up going to my great aunt and uncle's house and they had all these Toulouse Lautrec prints up everywhere and this style always reminds me of his work.

SLUT
L
U
T

Not when they have proper direction and scene compositions that have actual effort put into it like Nichijou (and most other kyoani shows for that matter)

They have boring animation. The acting is boring, the movement is often boring. A character needs to lift their arm and they do it in the most basic of ways. Very rarely do either shows use their animation in a visually interesting way. SU has good art direction, but the animation is lacking and is about as on par as stuff like Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls.

Compare it to something like Wander Over Yonder, Ed Edd n Eddy, early Simpsons, early Spongebob. A character didn't just look over their shoulder by moving their head across the screen. They did it with purpose, a little anticipation, some stretch and squash, maybe a smear or even just good timing. SU especially has very "even" timing on all the drawings. It's just kind of boring to watch unless they make it a point to put effort into a shot. The show is much better when you just look at stills or production art, which is gorgeous in it's static form.

Limited animation can work, like PPG, Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, but only if you have the art style for it. SU and Star Vs look like they should be a lot more animated than what we actually get on-screen. Which is a big problem Mighty Magiswords suffers from but also the reason why South Park and Beavis and Butthead are successful despite barely moving.

Not this user, but compare Pearl's spar with her holoconstruct with the Utena fight it copied. Not drew inspiration from, but used the exact same shots and posing.

It's much less intense, even though the same shots are used, because the animation lacks that oomph. It's just boring. There's no kineticism to it.

she deserves far worse

Here's kind of what I'm talking about:
youtube.com/watch?v=a044LBiRPiM

The show's animation isn't necessarily detailed or realistic, but it has a character of its own. It's consistent and deliberate, and it works with the plot + characterizations, etc. to form a new wonderful beast.

>Digibro

fuck off

This guy's voice wants me want to stop liking animation altogether.

>KLK

>comparing generic "untouchable" cute anime girl to classic Looney Tunes who were the fathers of goofy shit

ok.

I fucking love Imaishi but I swear to god it's like everything he directs gets blown out of proportion but the retarded sakuga community, as well as casual faggots.

He's a little hyperbolic but there is a point in there.

No. If that were the case, you could compare any cartoon character who breaks the fourth wall or always comes out the victor as modern Looney Tunes. Mandy from Billy and Mandy could rival Bugs Bunny if that were the case. But she doesn't, because there is a precision to old Looney Tunes jokes and visual style that goes beyond "Ha-ha you can't hurt me ^_^".

That trope is so fucking common in anime I'm surprised they didn't take it one step further in making it generic and have it be a little kid, too. To compare something so cliche to grandfather Roadrunner or Daffy Duck is giving Kill La Kill way too much credit.

Most Looney Tunes jokes get repeated though, some are cycled from older shorts.
Reusing the same jokes just means you're creatively bankrupt, and that's pretty much all Looney Tunes was.
Silly Symphonies was better.

>What defines GOOD

Nothing, good is subjective. That's the whole point.

No it isn't.
This for example is objectively good.

Animation is movement. Not how pretty the artwork is not how nice the background is and not the character designs. The movement. If you want an idea of how to judge that look up the 12 principles of animation. It's all about how convincing the end result is

Didn't make it, so I don't quite remember all of these. But I'll try for what I can.
Top Row:
>Utena
>Evangelion
>Lain
>?
>Princess Kaguya (?)
>End of Evangelion
Second Row:
>Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex
>?
>?
>Nausicaa
>Can't remember the name, it was about the English invasion of Scotland I think
>Perfect Blue
Third:
>Black Lagoon
>?
>Can't remember the name, but I think I saw it once browsing Crunchyroll.
>Ghost in the Shell
>?
>Belladonna of Sadness

Fourth:
>Futurama
>Samurai Jack
>Grim Adventures
>Waltz with Bashir (?)
>?
>?
Fifth:
>Johnny Bravo
>Adventure Time
>Aqua Teen
>Persepolis
>Secret of Kells
>it's such a beautiful day
Sixth
>The Maxx
>Aeon Flux
>South Park
>Yellow Submarine
>Heavy Metal
>Hunchback of Notre Dame

Apologies for the ones I missed, and apologies for naming all the obvious ones, just a force of habit.

What's that from?

That is 100% false.
In short, it's why no one has bother to make another Laura Haruna as she (and her friends) was (were) the LAST character(s) to match that of Bugs & Daffy.

Don't ask me why no one ever bother to make characters as good as Bugs Bunny anymore, I have at least made some that are on par.

You're taking that Looney Tunes analogy in that video too hard (it wasn't really a good analogy to begin with though).

You're delusional, seek help.