Why was Walter White a chemistry teacher instead of a professor?

Why was Walter White a chemistry teacher instead of a professor?

Clearly good enough to teach university level stuff and it would've quadrupled his salary.

He was getting his phd at los alamos when he got all buttflustered about his buddy banging his waifu and quit. Walt made bad descisions from the earliest we see him. He literally impregnated and married the first girl that talked to him out of anger.

Walter was a prideful faggot; he could have had a partnership with his university friend but he allowed himself to get cucked from his work and his then waifu. He then spent the rest of his life doing a job he's severely overqualified for until he got cancer from his faggotry.

muh plot

his problem was that he had a dog that was holding him back

Skylar White.

>get the shitty 3 bedroom house walt, it's all we can afford.
>walt, the only thing ive given you is a retarded son.
>walt keep being mediocre and die suffering of cancer, so I can fuck my boss
>WALT WHY WERE YOU GONE SO LONG

Is organic chemistry as difficult as university students make it out to be, or is it a meme?

There are other more difficult areas of chemistry. Basic organic chemistry is easy.

I've read in Feinman's book that organic chemistry is the hardest field in chemistriy and the rest are pretty much easy.

It's hard for biology students, not for chemists

this

It's hard for women.

not realy. But there is allot of it, thats why it looks hard. But the basics are not that hard.

Feinman is so great, his passion is infectious. Can't watch a video of him without smiling by the end of it

its a meme. almost entirely memorization

I got A's and B's in my two classes without trying for a geology degree, but did shit in my one required biology class. I barely even went to class. We had some online module thing we were supposed to do for homework and quizzes that taught you the same exact stuff, so you could just do that, copy the notes, remember the formulas, and you'd be good. It's a lot of memorization. ALEKS it was called. Good stuff.

>memorizing in organic chemistry
Like all fields there is some, but not all of the content is memorized. Those who only memorize will fail - true not only in organic chemistry but in all fields as well

>kill the dog Walter

JESSE

GET THE RICIN

He was an egomaniac. We saw this when he left grey matter because he felt inferior to them so he stormed off. He likes jesses company because he is intellectually superior to him and jesse knows it. He had Gale fired because he was on the same level and didn't like it. Being a high school teacher would ensure he could be the smartest man in the room at all times.

lel

he said ALMOST entirely memorisation idiot

which is correct at least in undergrad

because he quit life. stopped caring.

He loved gale didn't he? I thought he had gale fired because he had to have jesse close because jesse was spouting about killing hank or some shit so he needed more time with jesse to talk him down?

This sounds pretty reasonable - I can get behind it.

Not really, just a lot of memorization in a short period of time if you take it in college. Is actually pretty easy to learn if you take your time

If you're a chemist/molecular biology student it's not memorization because you will actually call back to a lot of the stuff in future studies/career path. If you're just some nursing student or an average biology student then it's basically memorization to pass a required course

thats part of the story, he was wishing for more.

Fuck, this sounds just like me. I hate being with people who is smarter than me.

THIS

Who the fuck cares about swallowing your pride when you can cash in on hundreds of millions of his share of the biotech firm? Especially when you have a wife, a disabled son, and a baby on the way. Oh and you have cancer.

Fucking Walt pisses me off. He even had a chance to walk away from meth making with all the money AND not get caught. But he had to get hooked on that idea of being this mysterious drug supplier.

Not to mention he'd still have his university friend and his university waifu that will help him with his healthcare funding if he needed it

It's the class that makes or breaks you. If you can understand organic chem fully, you have the foundation to do well in bio/chem sciences and/or medicine.

It must happen to you all the time you poor boy

Exactly. There's no fucking shame to receive help for your medical problems when your family is at stake.

I have yet to see the final season of Breaking Bad because Walt just really pisses me off. He was sick of being a beta bitch all his life and then he decides to become the big bad meth lord because of the power/ego trip. Well look what it got him.

the fucking point of the show was him enjoying the criminal life

Don't forget how he likes to concoct shit with household chemicals that amazes Gus, Tuco, and everyone else. Remember when he developed that homemade bomb?

Walt is basically a MacGyver-level dude who lacks cojones so he focuses on bravado as a substitute. He focuses on his chem wizardy amongst lowly criminals because they see that he's a valued asset and doesn't fuck around.

I know that. Ever since he scared off those 2 wannabe meth makers in that parking lot, Walt got off the idea of jacking off to being edgy drug pusher. But look at all the shit he caused.

Ever seen American Gangster? There's a great scene where the SE Asian opium producer tells Denzel's character that quitting while you're ahead is not quitting. Walt could've quit sometime by the end of Season 2 or beginning of Season 3, but nope, he just HAD to keep on doing stupid shit because of the dopamine high he was getting.

>allot
you seem like you have more street smarts than book smarts

>Well look what it got him
A mansion, slave network, biggest villain of western civilization. Watch season 5 hombre.

Wait I'm trying to be a high school teacher, but I like hanging out with people smarter than me, generally helps me figure out stuff I don't understand.

Wait hold on do I have to self reflect?

This is exactly what mike and jesse were shouting at walt for about 3 episodes straight in season 5. Fucking quit, you've got more than enough money and things are getting harder. Nope. Even jesse cries at him saying 1 year ago (season 1) all he needed was 770k or something and his family was set for life yet he had 80mil and it wasn't enough. As he says later he doesn't give a fuck about family it was all the power trip he loved which he never once had during his life.

You're not walt though. Most people don't have big inflated egos. You realise at a certian point there's always someone stronger, tougher or smarter out there but walt didn't like this. I know for a fact there are a ton of smarter people than me everytime I walk down the street but that isn't my goal, it's to chill and reach peak happiness.

Oh phew I got similar goals to that. Just want peace and to be able to be free.

Cool I like it.

I'll get around to it, but after Walt poisoned that kid, I just get irritated when watching a smart dude do so much blatantly stupid shit because of his pride.

>80 mill
There's an old saying that you don't get greedy because it'll fuck you over. Shit, if I knew I could get 80 mill, I'd quit right then and there.

This

A man has to know his limitations. Just focus on your own interests and strengths instead of comparing yourself to others.

He should move her to Germany where professors make more than they should because of the stupid bureaucratic system we have in place that protects positions in higher ranks even though the work they do doesn't warrant their higher salaries.

I'm 28 and as I age I realise you become happier the less you care about peoples bullshit. Sure you may need friends and colleagues to talk to but don't get dragged into their shit. I believe there are 3 different goals for me to reach and if I reach just one of them, that'll be a peak peace of mind moment like a ''I made it.'' type thing. 1st one is impossible but it's nice to dream, have a huge boat, hot women and cocaine and die. 2) live like a monk in japan or just relax and drink sake over there during a spa. 3) relax when i'm older, writing a novel, with peace of mind. I believe it'll be number 3 for me, I hope, anyway enough rambling bullshit basically fuck walt for wanting the world, when the best thing to achieve is happiness within the mind. That's our individual goal.

until Jessie took care of it

At no point did Walter truly have the opportunity to walk away and not get caught

Daily reminder that season 5 is not canon and Walt did nothing wrong. Everything that dragged him back in was a result of not wanting the ungrateful prick Jesse to die.

The real question is why would a chemistry genius call himself Heisenberg (a physicist)? lol

>our audience is too dumb, they won't notice, they'll just think it sounds cool

First of all, like Mr. White, Werner Heisenberg was a teacher. In fact, in 1927, he was appointed ordentlicher Professor (ordinarius professor) of theoretical physics and the head of the department of physics at the Leipzig University. In 1932, Heisenberg picked up the Nobel Prize for Physics for his theory of quantum mechanics — but what he's most famous for (arguably) is his Uncertainty Principle. I don't claim to fully understand this by any means, but here's what I gather: It's impossible to exactly measure both the position and the speed of a particle, because to measure the position, you'd have change the particle's speed, and to measure the speed, you'd have to affect its position. The Principle is also sometimes loosely interpreted as "we cannot know the present with enough precision in order to predict the future with certainty." I mean, right? Better call Saul.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle may also be an interesting metaphor for Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. You can't affect one of them without affecting the other. As the series has progressed, every time our master cook and his sous-chef try to part ways, they're brought back together, both willingly and unwillingly. Kind of like magnets, bitch!

If he's undercover and not trying to expose his real identity, wouldn't it be a bit too risky for a chemistry teacher and genius to use a famous chemist? Sounds like a good alternative to me if he still wanted to go a scientist route.

Also, I thought Heisenberg sounded awful at first as his nickname, took a while to grow on me. I don't think it's a name that immediately catches most people.

1. he left Grey Matter because he felt cucked
2. he liked working with Gale
3. his students had 0 respect for him

Heisenbergs uncertainty principle

I thought it was because he realized that Gale was ultimately going to be Walt's replacement once he perfected the cook so Walter killed had him killed out of self defense

it may make some practical sense but it rubs me the wrong way aesthetically. should worked out something else.

Wait, that's why he didn't join Grey and White? He was interested in his wife?
When did they outright say that in the show?
I thought it was something else

Yeah but he had him fired long before that

stamp collecting degree

He could walk away after he killed Gus

\Theres a scene in season 1 of a flashback of walt and gretchen ''flirting'' during a chemistry lecture. You can put it together that he liked her but got cucked and left.

>quadrupled
sTAY IN SCHOOL, KID.

what?

You mean tenure?

what?

>He never got to bang the hot brown subsistute.
This pissed me off

>tfw TWO female chemists have become the prime-ministers of two of the most important nations in the world, and broke all records of political leadership longevity
Really makes you think

He did when El Pollo guy got blown up. He had the money, it was being laundered through the car wash, the cunt wife was on board, and he had to go to Mike and keep it going.

I've watched both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. BCS is a superior show - the characters are 1000x's better than BB. Mike's character is the almost the best part of BB - and he gets killed off by a schmuck like Walter? Fuck that. Waste of the best character on the show.
BB should have ended when El Pollo guy got wasted. Everything after that was just fucking stupid. The whole war with the white power gang was dumb. Walter should have died of lung cancer, with nobody ever figuring out who he was.

>they're brought back together, both willingly and unwillingly. Kind of like magnets, bitch!
Which is ironic, since Jesse wasn't supposed to be around after the first season, they brought him back because he was so popular.

ASS LIKE AN ONION

Walt is an egomaniac who runs away when things aren't in his control anymore. We know he was willing to quit Grey Matter because he was mad about feeling underappreciated and ripped off; even when Elliott and Gretchen tried reaching out to him, he's still too prideful and blows them off. We don't know exactly what happened with his doctorate, but IIRC, it's heavily implied something similar happened with his academic advisor. He worked on a team that contributed to Nobel Prize-winning research and probably stormed off because he felt like he didn't get enough credit.

Without a PhD, you can't teach at the university level, so he was stuck teaching high school.

>Fucking Walt pisses me off.
People aren't always rational. Walt lets his pride get in the way of making smart decisions, and that's a problem a lot of people have. It doesn't matter if his choices aren't what you would do, they make sense for the character.

My dad is a lot like Walt (shitheaded egomaniac with a past in the drug business), and he constantly fucked up his by turning down opportunities for the same reason. He even walked away from getting a college degree at one point because he thought he was above taking 1 class he was short of credit for.

>walt is an egg
wrong. he merely SHAVES his hair, he is NOT AN FUCKING EGG.

So, there's this bloke, right? He's a school teacher, and he's into all chemistry and physics an' that. Handing out homework to the kids, drawing... atoms an' that on the blackboard, stuff like that. And he's basically a good bloke, got a wife. His son is disabled and 'e has a baby on the way. Family bloke.

Anyway, he ends up with.. cancer. An' 'e starts doing all this mental stuff, exploding buildings an' that. 'Cause he starts making cocaine and heroin and sellin' it for loads of cash on the side 'cause teachers are never paid enough, yeah?

So he goes to the desert, 'cause he lives in America an' they have deserts where...
He stays near a desert.
One day he heads out with a bunch of metal bits and pieces, and 'e builds a machine gun from scratch in no time flat. You don't see 'im making the bullets but he's a switched-on bloke and 'e knows 'is stuff. Maybe he bought some from a gun shop.

And he ends up putting this big machine gun in his car and when he presses a button on... his key thing. Key fob. And the gun pops up out of the car and it can shoot through walls an' that. Kills a bunch of people.

So the lesson there is "pay teachers more money because they could go mental."

I thought he fired Gale because Jesse was threatening to rat him out. IIRC he worked just fine with Gale in the beginning, then started setting him up to fail. While I was watching those eps all I could think back then was "he threatens to rat you out and what do you do white? you give him a job! fucking moron"

It doesn't really make sense.
The guy was a founder of a world-renowned company, even if he badly sold all his stock like a retard that alone would've made plenty of universities interested in him.
Not to mention that he's supposed to be a genius so his PhD is probably something quite impressive.

Simply put, him being a school teacher is there for dramatic effect, since it emphasizes how much he feels he deserves more, it doesn't really make much sense.

Yeah, Mike getting murdered by White was fucking retarded.

He got cucked by his friend and the bitch, both also took his part of the company.

The flash backs are central and also the best thing in the show.

Nah. Walter was hiding in his life with Sklyar, because he had no balls to fight for his contribution to the company, and to what's her face. He ran. He's a coward. The whole first season is learning to overcome that. He's hiding in a high school, living as white bread of a life that he can. Getting cancer made him realize he fucked up.

>Walter should have died of lung cancer, with nobody ever figuring out who he was.
THIS. It's the perfect ending for a nobody teacher who craved notoriety and power; only to die in obscurity. Technically, it's a "happy" ending for Walt's family because his reputation is intact and they can reap the benefits of his drug money. But to him, it's the biggest insult of his existence.

That still doesn't make any sense.
A PhD doesn't teach in a high school if he doesn't want to.

>There's no fucking shame to receive help for your medical problems when your family is at stake.
t. nu-male who doesn't understand what being a man is about, which is something Walt at least tried to do, although he didn't get far.

>He even walked away from getting a college degree at one point because he thought he was above taking 1 class he was short of credit for.
No offense dude but your dad is a fucking dumbass. All that money and time went down the toilet because he didn't want to take 1 fucking credit. My parents would've disowned me if I did something incredibly stupid like that.

>We know he was willing to quit Grey Matter because he was mad about feeling underappreciated and ripped off; even when Elliott and Gretchen tried reaching out to him, he's still too prideful and blows them off. We don't know exactly what happened with his doctorate, but IIRC, it's heavily implied something similar happened with his academic advisor. He worked on a team that contributed to Nobel Prize-winning research and probably stormed off because he felt like he didn't get enough credit.
And like you said, Walt is his worse enemy. All he had to do was just tone it down a bit and go with the flow.

I have no pity for this beta cuck character. He was fun to watch because he did so many illegal and immoral actions, but deep down, he's still a spineless douchenozzle. Even being hard-assed as Heisenberg makes it seem like he was compensating for being dickless his entire life.

He didn't HAVE a Ph.D. He was working on one at the company. His name was not Dr. Walter White.

There's being a nu-male and then there's being someone with half a brain to make sure his health is being properly treated. I admit it'd be difficult to accept help from others, but this is a special case.

nah, physical chemistry is the real cancer

Season 5 is not canon. Walt did nothing wrong.

And stop with your Mike dicksucking he wasn't that good and deserved to die just as much as any other character. He was literally a hitman, a cold blooded murderer. Just because he used to be a cop and says a couple cool things in the show doesn't mean getting shot in the chest wasn't above him.

Walt was a beta cuck most of his life, cooking meth was his way of saying fuck everyone I'll do things my way.

>took his part

No, Walt stupidly sold his share of the company out of anger. Those two didn't wrong him, which is why his grudge was so ill-conceived

Mike's ethics have nothing to do with his being a good character or not. It's fucking fiction, you fucking spastic. Are you that retarded that you think you have to hate bad guys, because....reasons? Fuck you and your moral faggotry. Mike was a great fucking character.

Just shut the fuck up, spastics like you ruin everything with your incredibly naive and childish bullshit opinions.

I had a number of teachers in HS with PhDs.. Shit my sophomore chemistry teacher had one. Not that unbelievable

Even with a Bachelors you can still be a professor at some state colleges instead of being a shitty high school.

All I have to say is if you think that's hard, take literally any computer science course... Brutal difficulty.

>Tfw B in Organic chemistry 1
>tfw F in organic chemistry 2
I still have no idea when I'll retake it and I need it to graduate.JUST.

Can't articulate a proper argument with Mike's cock in your mouth eh?

The evil women tricked him into signing the papers.

Yeah I get that, but look what it got him in the end. Was it really worth going through everything post-Season 2?

Walt could've had his fun, made a fuckton of movie, and then slink back to normality again. Hell with his assertiveness as Heisenberg, he probably could've demanded his share of Gray Matter and probably fuck Gretchen behind Elliot's back.

But nope, Walt is a stupid fuck. He tries to act alpha as Heisenberg, but you know when and where he was truly retarded? The time he could've sold his share of the meth for 5 million. He was stuck in his head about being butthurt about Gray Matter and telling Jesse that he's in "the empire business".

He didn't want to. For fuck's sake, get that through your autistic fucking mind. He chose to be there. I just looked it up, Walter left Grey matter and worked at a series of labs, including Sandia, before meeting Skylar and getting her knocked up. That's when he started teaching high school. They don't say why he left lab work, which pays more than teaching does, it's implied Skylar makes him/hen pecks him into it.

But keep sperging about real life. For fuck's sake. He's teaching high school because the guy who wrote the fucking show put him there. That's the real fucking reason.

Dude, ive only seen a bit of the show, but he could have walked off after this first couple batches before he got deep.

My 7th grade science teacher had a PhD.
Brought a full sized gold bar and a bunch of other shit in for different classes.
No idea how or why he was there, I was too much of a young shithead to really appreciate much of it.

awful, bong """ humor" "" is atrocious