POMPEY MAGNUS I HAVE A QUESTION CONCERNING YOUR FRIEND AND CO-CONSUL-- THE DARLING OF VENUS*, GAIUS JULIUS CAESAR

POMPEY MAGNUS I HAVE A QUESTION CONCERNING YOUR FRIEND AND CO-CONSUL-- THE DARLING OF VENUS*, GAIUS JULIUS CAESAR.
WHY DOES HIS CHAIR REMAIN EMPTY ? WHY DOES HE NOT COME HOME ? HIS ILLEGAL WAR IS OVER.
GAUL IS LONG SINCE ON ITS KNEES.
WHY DOES CAESAR KEEP HIS BRAVE SOLDIERS FROM THEIR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS ? FOR EIGHT LONG YEARS, HE HAS GORGED HIMSELF LIKE A WOLF ON THE BLOOD OF GAUL, AND THEREBY MADE HIMSELF MONSTROUSLY RICH.
- WHY ? WHY DOES HE PLY THE MOB WITH RACES AND FIGHTS AND GAUDY FEASTS ? WHY HAS HE PAID THE DEBTS OF EVERY REPROBATE FOOL IN THIS SENATE HOUSE ? WHY ?! I'LL TELL YOU WHY HE DOES THESE THINGS.
HE WANTS TO BUY HIMSELF A CROWN.
HE WANTS TO DESTROY THE REPUBLIC AND RULE ROME AS A BLOODY TYRANT ! THAT'S WHY ! THEREFORE, I MOVE THAT CAESAR'S GOVERNORSHIP IN GAUL BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY, THAT HIS ARMIES BE DISBANDED AND THAT HE BE RECALLED TO ROME TO ANSWER CHARGES OF ILLEGAL WARFARE, THEFT, BRIBERY AND TREASON !

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8LQBHlOvaoY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck you Cato

based cato keeping it 100 u feel me

mhmmmmm be very careful now cato

kill yourself Cato, you jelly faggot

Did his actor had bell's palsy during filming?

FUCK YOU CATO

I always wonder this too, but in some scenes(the one where he gets the knife he kills himself with) his face isn't nearly as contorted.

Also, after the rant he goes on in the OP, there is a shot of him from behind and I was always like "Damn, Cato's been doing good on shoulders for a clearly 65 yo man"

ROMANES EVNT DOMVS

I wonder why they chose to have him look so much older than the rest of the cast when he was younger than most of the other characters from his generation.

Pompey
Caesar
Cicero

all these guys were a few years older than Cato

Cato is one of the characters Rome could've done better. He seemed way too frail compared to the incorruptible, hard ass republican he was in real life.

Yes, thank you. I was too lazy. For a dude who has to be like 60 when this was shot he's got good tone.

Why is he wearing black?

He did it to show he stood alone even among the Optimates.

Technically he should have been wearing the traditional white when they voted though, to signify all were equal.

Basically Cato did it because he liked being a thorn in fucking everyone's sides irl.

Did he not wear black to mourn for the Republic?

Behold, GAIUS HUMANUS HOLOCAUSTUS!

he was from the philosofical school of the stoics.
thats why he is so grimm and serious and wears dark colours.

"In oratory, the toga came into its own. Quintilian's Institutio Oratoria (circa 95 AD) offers advice on how best to plead cases at Rome's law-courts, before the watching multitude's informed and critical eye. Effective pleading was a calculated artistic performance, but must seem utterly natural. First impressions counted; the lawyer must present himself as a Roman should: "virile and splendid" in his toga, with statuesque posture and "natural good looks". He should be well groomed – but not too well; no primping of the hair, jewellery or any other "feminine" perversions of a Roman man's proper appearance. Quintillian gives precise instructions on the correct use of the toga – its cut, style, and the arrangements of its folds. Its fabric can be old-style rough wool, or new and smoother if preferred – but definitely not silk. The orator's movements should be dignified, and to the point; he should move only as he must, to address a particular person, a particular section of the audience. He should employ to good effect that subtle "language of the hands" for which Roman oratory was famed; no extravagant gestures, no wiggling of the shoulders, no moving "like a dancer".
To a great extent, the toga itself determined the orator's style of delivery; "we should not cover the shoulder and the whole of the throat, otherwise our dress will be unduly narrowed and will lose the impressive effect produced by breadth at the chest. The left arm should only be raised so far as to form a right angle at the elbow, while the edge of the toga should fall in equal lengths on either side"... if, on the other hand, the "toga falls down at the beginning of our speech, or when we have only proceeded but a little way, the failure to replace it is a sign of indifference, or sloth, or sheer ignorance of the way in which clothes should be worn". By the time he has presented his case, the orator is likely to be hot and sweaty; but even this can be employed to good effect."

>Basically Cato did it because he liked being a thorn in fucking everyone's sides irl.
>Did he not wear black to mourn for the Republic?

Plutarch:

And in general Cato esteemed the customs and manners of men at that time so corrupt, and a reformation in them so necessary, that he thought it requisite, in many things, to go contrary to the ordinary way of the world. Seeing the lightest and gayest purple was then most in fashion, he would always wear that which was the nearest black; and he would often go out of doors, after his morning meal, without either shoes or tunic; not that he sought vain-glory from such novelties, but he would accustom himself to be ashamed only of what deserves shame, and to despise all other sorts of disgrace.

Also he wasn't an old codger, he was a young rebel. I guess modern day liberal screenwriters couldn't cope with showing the martyr for traditional values being a young guy, because it's 2017 or something?

>Also he wasn't an old codger, he was a young rebel.wasnt he like 40 years old?
a young senator yes but you make it sound like he was a rookie.

FVCK YOV CATO

Cato was the good guy, Caesar killed the Republic
get your history straight, nerds

Was Cato the good guy all along?

CAESAR!!!!!!

Cato was indeed a great man, but the Republic was done for and Caesar was smart and brave enough to take advantage of the situation to lead Rome into a new direction instead of just escalating the chaos and corruption.

cant be the only one who loves the way he says ILLEGAL WARFARE

youtube.com/watch?v=8LQBHlOvaoY

He was a MAGApede alt-right Sup Forumsack.