Korean films to check out

I've become very interested in korean films and would like any input from what people here feel is worth while. what are the staples?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt6461346/
youtube.com/watch?v=_v7THWWccxw
youtu.be/JnX9ctyNrAI
youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk80iXCspM
youtube.com/watch?v=_H-hPpPMu4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just know that if anyone recommends I Saw The Devil you should not take anything they say seriously.

'The Host' is good, a surreal creature feature.

'Hansel and Gretel' will get you in the feels.

train to busan

a tale of two sisters
sympathy for mr vengeance
the chaser
a bittersweet life

but most of all the chaser

The man from nowhere

Poetry
Crossroads of Youth
Tale of Cinema / Night and Day / Day He Arrives / Hill of Freedom
Timeless Bottomless Bad Movie
Address Unknown
Peppermint Candy
3-Iron
Strokes of Fire
Oasis
Secret Sunshine
Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?
Breathless (Yang Ik-Joon)
Take Care of My Cat
Bedevilled

Unless you're looking for pleb trash like Oldboy/ I saw the devil then I recommend you go to Sup Forums.

71: Into the Fire

I love and enjoy South Korean cinema. They produce truly unique, well-crafted, and highly-entertaining films at an astonishing rate. There's almost too much to choose from. You could just dip right in according to your interests and I'm sure you'll find something you adore. What I'm really concerned about, though, is the possibility of South Korea being completely annihilated by North Korea. We may lose South Korean cinema forever. There's also a chance we'll lose anime. Does anyone else find the current geopolitical climate extremely disturbing as it relates to BASED South Korean cinema, and anime? I don't like it very much.

-The Host

-Sympathy for Mister Vengeance + Lady vengeance (Vengeance trilogy with Oldboy from Park Chan Wook.)

-Train to Busan

-I Saw the Devil

-Memories of Murder

-The Yellow Sea

-Thirst

-A Bittersweet Life

-The Chaser

-The Man from Nowhere

-Mother

-The Handmaiden

north korea is fucking retarded but they won't do anything but continue their baseless, empty threats for the next decade. the last thing they need is an excuse for the whole world to turn against them.

The Wailing

That's a really good one.

It's a solid fucking movie m8.

Not a movie, but this is a spetacular korean tv show

Stranger 16 episdoes
imdb.com/title/tt6461346/

youtube.com/watch?v=_v7THWWccxw
yeah, is that girl from sense8

>from Sense8
She's been in so many good things, why would you try to entice people by pointing out her worst role?

The Fake and Seoul Station are animation flicks from the guy from Train to Busan. The second is also about korean zombies and trains, but not in a train.

9/10 film

>JMS
>Wachowski Sisters
>bad

All of these (except for Thirst and The Yellow Sea (which I'm coincidentally DLing right now), since I haven't seen them so can't vouch) are great picks. Man I'm glad I got into Korean movies.

I would also strongly recommend pic related, which I don't see brought up nearly as often as other great Korean films, but I just saw it yesterday and thought it was incredible.

Lastly, you should definitely watch Joint Security Area (because of your pic related, I'll mention it's made by the same guy that did Oldboy), since I haven't seen it mentioned here yet somehow. It's one of the big classics of modern Korean cinema and, tied with Memories of murder, it's my favorite from that country.

I envy you for getting to see all of these for the first time!

The Handmaiden is kino. Bonus points for yuri.

this is often overlooked
but it is as enjoyable as hell
and very inventive

Save the green planet

Literally only movie i've ever shut down middle of watching.
Boring. Predictable and characterers fucking stupid.

ALL THE LE EBIN CRIME DRAMAS AND HORROR!!! ONLY DUH GENRES ARE GOOD !!!

>a tale of two sisters
Yes if you want to watch 5 endings in a row and end up feeling like you spent 3 hours watching a 30 minute clip on repeat.

>He actually thinks sense 8 is good
Great. Now I know to disregard your recommendation.

Castaway on the Moon
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Oasis
3-Iron
A Dirty Carnival
A Moment to Remember
The Vengeance trilogy
Save the Green Planet
I Saw the Devil
The Chaser
Han Gong Ju
The Handmaiden
The Wailing
Train to Busan
I'm A Cyborg But That's OK
Joint Security Area
It's A Bittersweet Life
Memories of Murder
Mother
Peppermint Candy
Pieta
The Yellow Sea
Attack the Gas Station
The Good, The Bad, The Weird
A Tale of Two Sisters

This, it's fucking great, and nothing like the title and poster would have you think.

The Wailing

That's a really good one.

they have the bomb now

What are some recent Korean kinos? All I can think of is The Handmaiden. don't recommend trash like Train to Busan

>A tale of two sisters
>That high

Fist of Legend and Veteran are really good.

has anyone here seen secret sunshine

inside men

Friends 1 and 2
My scary girl
The City of Violence
Marrying the Mafia 2-4
200 Pounds Beauty
Happiness for sell
Happy Killers
My Dear Desperado
Miss Granny
Penny Pincher
A Violent Prosecutor
Attack on the Pin-Up Boys
Kiss me, Kill me
Breathless
Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle
History of a Salary man.

You forgot to leave the thread before trying to start a new one for shitposting.

a dirty carnival should switch place with a bitter sweet life
god, all Korean movies are depressing as fuck
I like to pretend friend 2 never happened.

just fuck my shit up the movies

Breathless
The yellow sea
Joint security area

Japan > Korea

>I like to pretend friend 2 never happened.

I wouldn't blame you. I almost didn't put it on the list. I want to put my wife is a gangster on the list, but those films didn't age well.

Japan has a weird movie culture where most tv shows get films. IDK if I like it or not.

Then stop watching shitty Japanese TV adaptations

I'm not talking about anime into live action. I'm talking about tv shows getting full lenth movies. Look at Kamen Rider ex-aid. It has 3 full length feature films. Ushijima the Loan Shark has a film between every season.

Yup, you're hyaku percent right. Just got back from good old Nippon after a few months working there and the television/film thing is super hybrid.

>you're hyaku percent right
Absolutely grotesque.

Its good though

It's ok. Sup Forums has a thing for those type of films. So I knew it wasn't going to end well.

I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay

it's not park's greatest by any means but it's just so charming that I couldn't help but love it

>-The Yellow Sea
>The Yellow Sea
>The yellow sea
Listen to them.

This is a good thread.
I will add
Breathless
Silenced
Signal(Memories of Murder remake, but as tv show)
a dirty carnival
a Girl at my Foor(with my bae Doona Bae)
Bedevilled

>remake
>as TV show

Miracle of Giving Fool

Its pretty good, really. I liked the vibe of movie better, its grittier. But tv show holds its own by exploring murders more in dept etc.
youtu.be/JnX9ctyNrAI

The Good, The Bad and the Weird
Pure western kino

>Peppermint Candy
Good taste friend. This movie is even better if you know a thing or two about Korean modern history (late 60's until late 90's) as the character's life reflects the rapid societal changes and problems we had during this time.
t. Korean

How could you possibly know English if you were truly a Korean?

Guys, I know most people in here will probably be biased towards Korean film, but do you think Korea is much better than Japan when it comes to making movies? I easily think so, because I've seen so many fantastic Korean movies but not many Japanese ones (I'm talking about more modern stuff like 1990-present). But I don't know if I'm just not coming across as much Japanese kino because I've been watching so many Korean ones which tend to link me to others by looking up their actors/directors' filmographies, or if I'm not finding them because they don't/barely exist.

Basically, does Japan come anywhere close to, or even surpass Korea in terms of the quality of their films?

Thanks for your kind words whity piggu we are very very superior to dirty island chinks.

Just don't watch any films by Kim Ki Duk.

Japanese film is better than Korean by far.

I like Action/Thrillers and Gangster flicks. In the past, Hongkong cinema was the king up until 97' then the HK movie industry went downhill, while Korea got the spotlight a couple years later.
Japanese movies where consistent in their quality all the time, but the output of movies i wanted to see especially in these genres was always not so great in numbers than what South Korea spit out.

So for me, the answer is no, quality is good , quantity is lacking.

I can't elaborate. Also, your post is way too long and I don't have time to reply to it. Why do you ask so many questions? It's actually very rude to impose on others in this manner. If you could, I'd like it if you would delete your post so that this whole thing could be swept under the rug. Thank you.

What movies, from the '90s onward, would you say are the greatest films put out from Japan? As many as you feel like listing. It's sad but literally the only modern Japanese movie I can think of of the top of my head is that new Godzilla movie lmao. Always happy to get into the films of a new country if you've got some piping hot kino to offer.

I'm very sorry to have dishonored you, sir or madam. I should have thought before doing such a thing. The post has been removed as per your request.

Don't forget to make sudoke.

>Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
fuck yea this films is actual kino

Hey!

Fuck you, pal.

are there any lovecraftian korean films

See Koreeda is a great modern Japanese filmmaker. I struggle to think of a modern Korean director that matches him. Also check Sion Sono if you want some zanier Jap stuff. Love Exposure in particular

>best JP filmmaker is literally named Korea da

Also Takeshi Kitano's stuff

What should I watch if I live in Korea and hate this shithole?

what the fuck

Memories of Murder

The Wailing

Snowpiercer

everything from the director of snowpiercer

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird

youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk80iXCspM

This film man, one of my all time favourites ever, and it's not available in HD anywhere. If you're reading this and haven't seen it then do yourself a favour and track down a copy of it. Here's the trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=_H-hPpPMu4A

i just watched based off the recommendations in this thread. really good i would recommend it

South Korea is really great. In all ways, not just filmmaking. Thanks for existing, guys.

The Chaser is so fucking good, and all movies by that writer-director worth watching.

Korean cinema begins and ends at Obaltan.

this to be honest, I'm yet to watch a korean movie that doesn't feel like a flick while Japan has some kinographers around and a long history of kinomaking

There are plenty of Korean drama that are bad.

Fuck you, you fucking piece of shit! FUCK YOU!

I haven't seen good non-mobster Japanese film.

Promising premise that turns hilariously bad.

This is where I stopped taking Brad Jones reviews seriously and settled for chuckling at his Cinema Snob videos.

Their Samurai Kino is superior

>Sword of Doom

My sassy girl
Goblin

One criticism Of Korean movies (particulary thrillers) is they don't know how to end.

Far to often there is an extra 20mins that really should have been left on the cutting room floor.

>1966

Show me a Japanese film that is kino that has came out in the last 5 years.

Their horror is pretty good.

i rly enjoyed The Admiral : Roaring Currents

and

Age of Shadow

Protect the Boss
Coffee prince
Cinderella and the four knights
History of a Salaryman. (this show is amazing)

Wind rises
Tale of princess kaguya
Koe no katachi
In this corner of this world

What about tv shows? I'm trying to get into some, but don't know what's good or not. Pic related, comfy comedy

Those are all anime. Nothing live action huh?