WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN: 2016 Superhero Movies

What went right? What went wrong?

Deadpool (2016)

>In early drafts, Wade becomes a mercenary after escaping from the Workshop and purely wa

>Early drafts featured Patch as the bar owner, while Weasel is a weapons dealer and Wade's handler. Weasel was made into a bar owner in further revisions.

>Early drafts featured Cannonball as Colossus's apprentice in the X-Men. He was replaced by Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

>Early drafts featured Garrison Kane, Wyre and Sluggo as Ajax's enforcers. They were replaced by Angel Dust.

>Early drafts featured Dr. Emrys Killbrew, the mad scientist who recruits Wade into the Workshop and flees the country upon learning Deadpool is coming after him to continue his research abroad.

>Early drafts featured a massive gunfight during the final battle, but the budget didn't allow him, but the idea was referenced when Deadpool forgets his bag of guns in the cab.

>Olivia Munn was approached to play Vanessa Carslyle, but declined in favor of playing Psylocke in X-MEN: APOCALYPSE and Morena Baccarin was cast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc
io9.gizmodo.com/nope-ghostbusters-has-not-suddenly-gotten-a-new-title-1786062339
screencrush.com/snyder-cavill-superman-sequel-maybe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

>The movie was originally greenlit by WB as a standalone sequel to MAN OF STEEL featuring Lex Luthor and Metallo.

>Josh Brolin and Ben Affleck were offered the role of Batman, but both declined. Joe Manganiello, Matthew Goode, Scott Adkins, Max Martini and Richard Armitage auditioned before Affleck reconsidered and brought his contributor Chris Terrio to revise Goyer's script, which he found disappointing.

>Olga Kurylenko, Elodie Yung and Emily Ratajkowski auditioned for Wonder Woman before Gal Gadot was cast.

>Joaquin Phoenix was offered the role of Lex Luthor, but declined. Matt Damon, Bradley Cooper, Denzel Washington and Bryan Cranston were also approached before Snyder changed his plans for the character.

>Jesse Eisenberg was originally approached to play Jimmy Olsen. Snyder had planned to cast a well-known actor and then kill Olsen early in the movie to subvert audience expectations, but Eisenberg declined. Snyder felt Eisenberg's disdainful attitude was so powerful he changed the entire script to accomodate for a new interpretation of Luthor that would play to Eisenberg's strengths.

>The Knightmare and the Flash's appearance in Batman's dreams were late additions by Snyder, who believed that the narrative was "too linear" and needed more surreal elements even though he hadn't quite figured out their cause.

>Producer Christopher Nolan objected to Superman's death being done early into the DCEU, but Snyder ultimately persuaded him to the idea.

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

>Early drafts featured Vision on Captain America's team and Ant-Man on Iron Man's team; larger roles for Sharon Carter and Everett Ross; appearances by Bruce Banner and Pepper Potts; and Hope Van Dyne becoming the Wasp.

>In early drafts, Spider-Man had a larger role and Prince T'Challa had a minor role. When the deal between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures initially failed, T'Challa's role was expanded, including his transformation into Black Panther. Marvel and Sony later reached an agreement and Spider-Man was reinserted in the script in a smaller role.

>Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter refused to pay Robert Downey Jr's salary, reducing Iron Man to a brief appearance. Downey Jr. lobbied for a larger role and was backed by producer Kevin Feige, leading to a conflict that ended with Marvel Studios splitting off from Marvel Entertainment and Perlmutter being reassigned to the television department while Feige had complete creative control over the movies.

>During the period where Iron Man was unavailable, the Russos mapped out an alternative third act centered on Baron Zemo searching for a biological weapon known as "Madbomb", which compels people into murderous rampages.

>Asa Butterfield, Charlie Rowe, Judah Lewis, Matthew Lintz, Charlie Plummer and Liam James auditioned for Spider-Man before Tom Holland was cast.

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

>Early drafts featured Wolverine and Mystique working together to rescue endangered mutants, leading to Wolverine being recruited by the X-Men as a drill sergeant for the young mutants.

>Early drafts featured Professor X becoming the fouth Horseman after being corrupted by Apocalypse, but the concept was scrapped and Pyslocke was added.

>Taron Egerton was offered the role of Cyclops, but declined. Jamie Blackley, Charlie Rowe, Timothee Chalamet and Ben Hardy auditioned before Tye Sheridan was cast. Hardy was later cast as Archangel.

>Chloe Moretz, Hailee Steinfeld and Elle Fanning auditioned for Jean Grey before Sophie Turner was cast.

>Amber Stevens and Zendaya Coleman auditioned for Storm before Alexandra Shipp was cast.

>Tom Hardy and Idris Elba were approached for Apocalypse before Oscar Isaac was cast.

>Although the Weapon X segment were always part of the movie, Wolverine's breakout was added in reshoots.

Suicide Squad (2016)

>In early drafts, Rick Flag as the main character, but this was changed when Will Smith was cast as Deadshot.

>Early drafts featured King Shark, but the character was deemed too expensive and replaced by Killer Croc.

>Tom Hardy was originally cast as Flag, but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Jake Gyllenhall, Luke Evans, Joel Edgerton and Jon Bernthal were approached to replace him before Joel Kinnaman was cast.

>Oprah Winfrey and Octavia Spencer were approached for Amanda Waller before Viola Davis was cast.

>Shia LaBeouf was approached for Lieutenant GQ Edwards before Scott Eastwood was cast and the character's role was severely reduced in rewrites.

>Several scenes were deleted, most notably the Joker's, and the movie was re-edited multiple times by different companies after middling reception at test screenings and the disappointing critical and commercial performance of BATMAN V SUPERMAN.

Doctor Strange (2016)

>Fede Alvarez, Nikolaj Arcel, Dean Israelite, Jonathan Levine and Mark Andrews were approached to direct before Scott Derrickson was hired.

>Benedict Cumberbatch initially declined the role of Stephen Strange due to scheduling conflicts with his theater commitments. Mads Mikkelsen, Joaquin Phoenix, Jared Leto, Jake Gyllenhall, Tom Hardy, Colin Farrell, Ethan Hawke, Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Keanu Reeves, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor and Justin Theroux were approached to play the role before filming was delayed to accomodate Cumberbatch's schedule.

>Ken Watanabe, Morgan Freeman and Bill Nighy were approached for the Ancient One before Tilda Swinton was cast.

>In early drafts, the Ancient One was a Asian man and Wong was not featured. When the Ancient One was made into a Celtic woman, Wong was added to the story as one of Strange's mentors.

>Early drafts revealed that Strange went through the loop thousands of times before Dormammu decided to accept his bargain, and that he remembers each and every time he died.

>Early cuts featured a subplot about Strange's sister, Donna, who falls into a river while they're playing together and drowns despite his attempts to save her, motivating Strange to study medicine. Lulu Wilson played Donna, but all of her scenes were cut.

>Early cuts featured more parallels between science and magic that were cut from the movie so magic would remain shrouded in mystery.

>Early cuts had a slightly darker tone that didn't ressonate very well with test-audiences. Dan Harmon was then hired to revise the script and more lighthearted beats were added in reshoots.

Damn, Snyder is an idiot.

>larger role for Spider-Man

How would you feel if Zemo framed Bucky for killing Uncle Ben

>Ken Watanabe could have been a more proper Ancient One
Fuck this gay world.

>In early drafts, the Ancient One was a Asian man and Wong was not featured. When the Ancient One was made into a Celtic woman, Wong was added to the story as one of Strange's mentors.
Can't have too many asian dudes?! Are they getting their privileges forcefully checked now, too?!

>Early cuts featured more parallels between science and magic that were cut from the movie so magic would remain shrouded in mystery.
They had to get something right, I guess.

>Early cuts had a slightly darker tone that didn't ressonate very well with test-audiences.
Still thought the beheading at the beginning was pretty pointless.

Gotta wonder if he's still getting any work at movies at all, after crashing this movie with NO SHURVIVORSH

Weird, considering he looks like Tobey Macguire.

>Several scenes were deleted, most notably the Joker's, and the movie was re-edited multiple times by different companies after middling reception at test screenings and the disappointing critical and commercial performance of BATMAN V SUPERMAN.

when will execs learn?

Beheadings usually are pointless.

You didn't like Tilda Swinton? I'd say she was the best part of the movie.

>Ken Watanabe, Morgan Freeman and Bill Nighy were approached for the Ancient One before Tilda Swinton was cast

Why the fuck couldn't it have been Ken? I hope it wasn't the cancer

>Jesse Eisenberg was originally approached to play Jimmy Olsen. Snyder had planned to cast a well-known actor and then kill Olsen early in the movie to subvert audience expectations, but Eisenberg declined. Snyder felt Eisenberg's disdainful attitude was so powerful he changed the entire script to accomodate for a new interpretation of Luthor that would play to Eisenberg's strengths.

This is the dumbest rationale for a terrible casting choice I have ever seen

I just hope that WB releases the original dark cut someday

Eisenberg was pretty good as Luthor, except for the ding ding ding ding part

>Eisenberg was pretty good as Luthor

Not really

She's always good, at anything, apparently. But the whole racebending, genderbending, transferring-from-a-classic-monastery-stereotype-thingy didn't sit well with me at all.

It's like Marvel is afraid to use the tropes that made superhero stories great in the first place.

I mean, who knows, maybe it's just me being triggered. The Eye of Aggamotto being an Infinity Gem and Strange relying on it for time magic kinda pissed me off as well, it's like all power in the universe HAS to come from them.

It just kinda feels over-the-top edgy for a superhero movie. He could have been killed on the spot with a lightning spell or whatever, rather than restrained and beheaded on a basket.

Eisenberg is BvS in a microcosm. His good parts are great, but the bad parts are fucking weird and goofy.

I keep forgetting this movie exists. It's the only Big 2 movie from this year that had absolutely no presence.

>Early drafts featured Wolverine and Mystique working together to rescue endangered mutants
That would have at least made sense with how DoFP ended

>"This movie is too linear, it needs a surreal scene!"
>"....why?"
>"....I haven't figured out why yet."

> Cannonball replaced by Negasonic

that explains a lot.

Yeah, the movie was basically populated entirely by 90's throwaway characters that nobody uses and also Colossus.
That was kind of the point; even Cable and Deadpool was FULL of these unused characters from the 90's.

>Patch as the bar owner,

Too confusing. Everyone would think that he was Wolverine.

>The Knightmare and the Flash's appearance in Batman's dreams were late additions by Snyder, who believed that the narrative was "too linear" and needed more surreal elements even though he hadn't quite figured out their cause.

"The movie makes too much sense. IT NEEDS TO MAKE LESS SENSE!"

>were late additions by Snyder, who believed that the narrative was "too linear" and needed more surreal elements even though he hadn't quite figured out their cause.

And there we go... it's a case of 'here is the conclusion, let's see what we can come up with to justify it.' Those trolls and the DC=Kino proponents might have something after all, even if it comes from incompetence and not design - the god-bothering parallels in BvS are built in, just inadvertantly.

>Elodie Yung
Thank you god in heaven for not letting this happen.
>before Snyder changed his plans for the character.
I Say this as a massive fan of the DCEU...
YOU STUPID FUCK!

>>Early drafts featured King Shark, but the character was deemed too expensive and replaced by Killer Croc.
Incompetent bitches.
Stan Winston gave us a better King Shark in 1997 then your CGI bullshit would ever have been.

FYI this is from Peter Benchley's Creature.

Would be a cool casual detector, though.

> Mads could have been Strange...
> Strange could have had more pathos...
> Could have been darker...
Die in fire Marvel, Die in fire.

Fuck Snyder so hard for this shit. God, he just sucks so much.

I agree fuck him for Jesse. But there was nothing wrong with the Knightmare additions.

>But there was nothing wrong with the Knightmare additions.
If you went into the movie as a casual, having no idea who Darkseid was, you probably had no idea what the fuck was even going on.

Even as a big fan of DC and superheroes in general, a cinematic superhero adaptation should accommodate both casuals and hardcore fans. From the perspective of someone who didn't know much about comics, it was a big lipped alligator moment that didn't have much to do with the rest of the movie.

Dodged a bullet on most of those.

>we could have had Olga Kurylenko Wonder Woman

fuck you Snyder fuck you fuck you fuck you

Does it matter?

>>The Knightmare and the Flash's appearance in Batman's dreams were late additions by Snyder, who believed that the narrative was "too linear" and needed more surreal elements even though he hadn't quite figured out their cause.
Bravo, Snyder standing up to the oppression of "narrative coherence"!
How does this guy even still have a job?

No nigga, they mean this Patch from the Joe Kelly run.

>>Olivia Munn was approached to play Vanessa Carslyle, but declined in favor of playing Psylocke in X-MEN: APOCALYPSE and Morena Baccarin was cast.
Much better this way.

>Mads Mikkelsen, Joaquin Phoenix, Jared Leto, Jake Gyllenhall, Tom Hardy, Colin Farrell, Ethan Hawke, Jack Huston, Oscar Isaac, Keanu Reeves, Matthew McConaughey, Ewan McGregor and Justin Theroux were approached to play the role before filming was delayed to accomodate Cumberbatch's schedule
holy fuck

Dam i woulda loved Oprah as The Wall

>>Tom Hardy

>Tom Hardy

>Tom Hardy

Must be nice to be so in-demand!

Since when did Sup Forums care about casuals?

Reminds me of the recent Ghostbusters. They had and effects shop build Slimer Puppets. They then replaced the puppets with CGI only using the puppets as "reference" and not crediting the shop.

They were also in the process of building a rock show demon which Sony scrapped.

I wanted to shove some cool shit I saw in Injustice in there as trailer bait but couldn't figure out how, so dream sequence it is.

Please no, she's not acted in decades other than tricking million of white house wives she gave a shit about them.

His Wife

And word is he wanted the Skeleton from the start so those auditions had nothing to do with his choices.

>Ant-Man on Iron Man's team
>The character who was explicitly told by his mentor that Starks are shit
Was Ant-Man still not a finished script by the time they started writing this or something?

Maybe they were still going off the early draft before the switch up.

Kino.

>Nikolaj Arcel, Dean Israelite, Jonathan Levine and Mark Andrews
Goddamn, those were some fucking bullets dodged.

>Fede Alvarez
GODDAMN IT I WANTED THAT

It's kind of weird that they didn't even consider an Asian actor for Strange, since he was originally drawn with Asiatic features.

Those weren't intentional features, just Ditko's take on Vincent Price's face.

Man they really fucked up EVERYTHING in the worst, stupidest way about this movie, didn't they

It could've been worse, it could've been The Thing prequel were they had 90% of all the practical effects ready before the studio decided to go CGI.

Pretty much going with "funny women" over chemistry and by screwing up a passing of the torch film everyone's wanted for over a decade because the Director wanted to make it his.

Now instead of a new generation gaining interest in the property, everyone just wants to forget it happened. Which makes me sadder than anything else.

>Early cuts featured a subplot about Strange's sister, Donna, who falls into a river while they're playing together and drowns despite his attempts to save her, motivating Strange to study medicine. Lulu Wilson played Donna, but all of her scenes were cut.

Everyone focuses on the bad decisions and "what could have been"s in these threads, so it's nice to make some good calls by the filmmakers.

I absolutely love how they repackaged the movie as "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call" for home releases to try and save face.

I kinda wish Ben Affleck hadn't accepted the role, so that I could dislike this movie 100%

That started on the movie posters.

>so desperate for good publicity that you put the rotten tomatoes shit on the front cover

Only in some of them, and only as tagline. Now it's for realsies the title of the movie. Something similar happened with Edge of Tomorrow, but I don't remember what they changed it to.

That's right, Susan

youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

>screwing up a passing of the torch film everyone's wanted for over a decade because the Director wanted to make it his.

The funny thing is, they could of done this since they had most of the original cast appear in the movie.

>Something similar happened with Edge of Tomorrow, but I don't remember what they changed it to.

Live. Die. Repeat. on home release.

Eisenberg is only good in certain segments of the rooftop sequence. His exaggerated mannerisms actually often bring the scene down.

It died so hard that I forgot it was coming/came out until South Park mentioned it.

It doesn't matter what Sup Forums thinks, the studio should have the foresight since casuals are the source of 90% of their income.

Is that the name of the actual source material though? And it isn't one of those localisation deals where they changed the release title for certain countries just because?

Nifty movie though. It sucks that Tom Cruise is the only one that can get bizarre scifi stuff made.

The source material is 'All You Need is Kill'.

"Live, Die, Repeat" was the tagline. They just made it huge on DVD covers and reduced the actual title to a tiny blimp.

Reminder that Snyder is involved in the Justice League movie

Why would they do this? You've already put in the funds to get all the practical effects, and CGI is only cheaper if you do a ruched, shitty job of it.

That was always the title.
io9.gizmodo.com/nope-ghostbusters-has-not-suddenly-gotten-a-new-title-1786062339

That's because it wasn't a Ghostbusters project from conception, just an unnamed vehicle movie for the lead actresses that Paul Feig decided to turn into a Ghostbusters remake.

Just because it was too late in production.

Snyder won't direct anything anymore.

>>Olivia Munn was approached to play Vanessa Carslyle, but declined in favor of playing Psylocke in X-MEN: APOCALYPSE and Morena Baccarin was cast.

dodged a bullet there

His wife is an executive at WB.

That's literally the only reason he had a job in movie directing in the first place.

We can only hope so, I want to say they learned from their mistakes but I've lost all faith.

>His wife is an executive at WB.
She's a package deal with him though. She had never been a producer on a film associated with Warner Bros before 300. So does nepotism really explain it?

>Was Ant-Man still not a finished script by the time they started writing this or something?
Yes, that is in fact the case.

>screwing up a passing of the torch film everyone's wanted
Whoa whoa WHOA let's not get carried away... personally, I wouldn't want that either.

I meant they manage to fuck everything up, down to the marketing which alienated pretty much everyone, releasing it right after Egon died, I heard they basically blackmailed Bill Murray so he'd be in the movie etc. And now I learned they went full retard with the special effects process as well.

Fucking WOW.

he took a forgettable character and created meme magic with it

sorry boys
were in this ride all the way till the end
screencrush.com/snyder-cavill-superman-sequel-maybe/

That's a radical fucking name that I totally see why they changed. I wonder if that was the movie's title in Japan.

Well nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask.

They still took a title that existed only on the credits and for cataloging purposes only and slapped on the posters and covers after initially advertising it as only "Ghostbusters", still seems like backing down to me.

It was, according to Wikipedia.

Funny how he is this white hot for movies and for some reason been doing mostly TV work since The Revenant.

>Ken Watanabe, Morgan Freeman and Bill Nighy were approached for the Ancient One before Tilda Swinton was cast.

Morgan Freeman as the Anceint One would have shut down so much of the shit the film got . . .

Though I still think Whoopie Goldberg basically reprising Gainan from Star Trek: TNG would have shut them down even more.

>King Shark too expensive for Suicide Squad
>appears in Flash

oh DCEU...

Gotta save on that CGI budget for the incredibly unnecessary and over the top clusterfuck of a final confrontation in the subway, man.

Based DCTV.