Finally a video game worthy of a film adaptation

Finally a video game worthy of a film adaptation.
I have no idea why nobody has attempted MYST or Half Life though.
Article is old but I came across it since Muschietti is hot shit allasudden thanks to IT
>variety.com/2014/film/news/andres-muschietti-to-direct-shadow-of-the-colossus-for-sony-1201297802/

>MYST
fuck yes pls

Half life is garbage, suck a dick faggot.

I still haven't beat SotC. Am I the world's biggest cuck?

Old news, never happening

This would make a shitty movie desu.

the game is a masterpiece because it tells a story in a way only a game can make compelling

it would be an insanely shit movie

>Sony

it could be good if the CGI is good, and they cast unknown actors, and they speak the language they speak in the game

This. It was the non linearity that made it work. It had almost no exposition and a very loose plot. It worked as a game because the point was that you had to go out this vast open but mostly uninhabited world to find all the Colossi. If you remove the interactivity you get almost nothing and Hollywood would have to make up a shitty half-assed plot to keep it from being 20 minutes of horseriding cut in with a 5 minutes fight for 3 hours.

the only way this works if the dialog for the human characters is only at the beginning and end of the movie, the only other dialog should be the "voices" of the gods in the realm, which can be just subtitles
I don't really trust adaptaions

In what way was the game non-linear?

The problem is that there is very little dialogue in the game. Its the same problem they would have in making a LoZ movie. The majority of the story our hero is all alone, jumping from set piece to set piece.

They would assuredly rewrite the script and add more dialogue and even more characters, such as giving Wander some comic relief sidekick he can quip with until he no doubtedly gets killed towards the end.

It will only ever work as a video game, and thats good enough because its an amazing experience by itself.

>sony
rip in pieces

This guy is right, the game is extremely linear.

>mfw Hollywood will never make a large-budget, epic fantasy action/adventure feature film with no dialogue that relies solely on production design, music and visual FX to tell its story

>if you just filmed it like the game it would suck
no shit sherlock, that's why you adapt it and change it in all sorts of fundamental ways to make it fit the film medium
really powerful ideas that should translate into any medium..

It might work out to be good, but it would never be a financial success with good production/visual FX/music.

The very idea would never get financial backing in the first place. Lets not ignore the fact that large Hollywood projects are solely meant for financial gain, and not artistic value.

Yea man, just like they did with Resident Evil! Don't forget about the Super Mario Bros, or Street Fighter!

Resident Evil 1 was cool

I want to see a MTG series. All the different worlds, characters, powers, mythology, etc.

then why adapt it instead of draw creative inspiration from it? i already know the answer but you may

I like all those movies.

>epic fantasy action/adventure feature film with no dialogue that relies solely on production design, music and visual FX to tell its story

Well they techically did with Walking with Dinosaurs.

But then they got spooked a month before when it didn't test well so they hasitly hired in a bunch of voice actors to compensate for what was otherwise a totally silent film.

It was shit, turned a horror game into a shitty run-up-the-wall action flick. It proves the point though, many good video games can only work in their original form, feeling and intention gets lost in the translation. It loses what makes them special, which for many games, is personal involvement. You cared about failing in a video game even with shitty, minimalist characters, because they're you, you're in control of their fate.

Nobody felt that way about Alice, those movies completing changed everything that was good about Resident Evil.

Conan is probably the closest we'll get to that

I don't really think there's a clear cut dividing line between the two. any time you are adapting a work from one medium to another you are fundamentally changing the experience... one interesting adaptation is Under the Skin which realizes that if you take the events of the source material literally and communicate them onto the screen, they'll lose their fundamental mystery which is the prime function of their place on the page. so the film chose to omit all the details about the alien's infrastructure in order to faithfully adapt the spirit of the work.

i definitely agree that "scene 1 he kills the first colossus, scene 2 he kills the second, etc" will not work on screen

>The problem is that there is very little dialogue in the game
Not sure why that's a problem. There are movies like QUEST FOR FIRE that have 0 dialogue whatsoever. There was an entire silent film era. THERE WILL BE BLOOD doesn't have a word uttered until like 20 minutes in. Shit, even in super mainstream stuff, there isn't any dialogue in BOURNE IDENTITY matt damon version until about half an hour in.

I don't think any of those examples qualify as examples of what I'm advocating. I'm saying that a good adaptation comes from understanding the spirit of the source material. Super Mario Bros in particular has virtually nothing to do with the video game except in really oblique ways.