Are there any western comics that does the tournament arc?

are there any western comics that does the tournament arc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aUaFPzZngRo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Planet Hulk?

There was an arc in one of the wolverine runs where he fights in a tournament to retain the title "best at what i do". Task master was there too not sure who else

TMNT 2003

contest of champions. Ironman fighting and losing to psylocke and shit like that

Found it. It's an arc called bloodsport. Which seems obvious.

Immortal Iron Fist

Almost entirely tournament arcs.

>the battle nexus will never appear again
>we will never see a tournament of TMNT characters from different universes.

WHO /BNC/ HERE?

this

Street Fighter X GI Joe

Does RWBY count as Sup Forums? They had one

No because it's fucking stupid. It just goes like it always does

>ready for this tournament
>opponent acts mysterious or antagonist before match
>match starts, opponent has the upper hand
>protagonist figures it out
>psyche, opponent had a special move
>protagonist and opponent keep using the same technique on each other over and over until protagonist figures out the new technique
>pysche, opponent has a secret detail that they left out about the special technique they're using
>protagonist finally figures out the secret detail and beats the opponent

Don't forget to constantly break up the action by having characters stop in the middle of fighting to explain in very long winded detail about all of the shit you JUST saw. Either them or the character that spews exposition will do it. Don't forget the line

>"To think that (them) was able to (best protagonist/antagonist) by (explanation of what you just saw)!"

True, it's not about what happens, but how it happens, but this stupid shonen bullshit that publishers have gotten down to a science dictates every last little detail of how it will happen. So no, no tournament arcs. Not now, not ever.

>>opponent acts mysterious or antagonist before match

Yo

soy El Mysterio

Everything about this was so bad yet I couldn't stop reading.

>Does RWBY count as Sup Forums?
yeah

Shame the show isn't that good

Deathmatch, Ghost Racers, Deadly Class.
>that fight between Splinter and Mikey

>>the battle nexus will never appear again
And what makes you say that?

The Immortal Iron Fist had one.

I was about to mention that too. Surprised it took so long to come up. It was the first tourney arc I personally ever saw in a western comic.

Not a comic, but the first half of Ninjago S4 was a tournament arc.

It was also the best season, because I like tournament arcs.

TURTLES COUNT IT OFF!

ONE

loved this series

Gold Digger had one back toward the start of its color run for Armsmaster of Jade (fantasy realm) and another for "normal" human martial artists. May have had more than that.

Most of that is budget saving shit. It has absolutely bothing to do with storytelling and everything to do with cheap gooks
I'd hope no one with the ability not to include that shit does

ppg had one if i recall

>the character that spews exposition

Preferably one that has a gadget with a screen that they read off of as they explain XYZ

Secret Wars?

New Warriors had one. I've only got one issue and in honesty it isn't very good.

Dexter's lab also had an episode about a tournament. So did Teen Titans, but given the anime influences that shouldn't be all that surprising.

>given the anime influences
>based off Contest of Champions and Battle Royal
Cartoonfags are cancer

TWO

Meant for

Where did they say the episode was based on either of those? CoC was more of a "wager with the devil" situation and unless you are talking about another Battle Royale that shit had nothing to do with capes.

Wrasslor was basically the Champion in a Luchador mask. Pretty sure Monkey won more or less the way The Thing did too.

I was talking about the Teen Titans episode.

>Deathmatch
This was pretty good except I didn't get the ending.

>Surprised it took so long to come up.

It's been awhile since I read it but I got that bad guy was locked in time loop and all characters shown in Deathmatch will die no matter what they do.

youtu.be/aUaFPzZngRo

How is that possible? Scrapper > Infiltrator

Every VS ever like AvX and XvI and CW

Reminder that Goku lost 2 times at the tournament and only won once, so your rule doesn't even apply to the most basic example.

This

Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog had a great one.

I'm only listing more formal fighting events, but not all of them are true tournaments.

Immortal Iron Fist (7 Cities of Heaven Tournament)
Contest of Champions I, II, and III
Batman: Streets of Gotham (#1-11, it's a running subplot until the end -- and it's the sickest tournament ever).
The Darkside Club arc (Birds of Prey #118, Teen Titans 58-60, and Terror Titans #1-6)
Burn the Orphanage - Born to Lose #2
Deathmatch #1-12
Formerly Known as Justice League #3-4
Ghost Racers
Green Arrow (2016) #6-7
Idolized
JSA #27-30
Legends of the Dark Knight #37
Mars Attacks - Occupation
New Mutants #29-32
Planet Hulk (Secret Wars)
The Thing v1 #28-36 (For all your Unlimited Class Wrestling you need)
X-Treme X-Men #36-39

tournaments are the laziest writing-tools in order to quickly introduce new characters and to get conflicts started quickly, but damn it I love them so much.

eyy i love tournaments and think they're legitimately good dont think just because it's a favorite of mediocre writers that it is itself mediocre.

>the tournament arc is one of the high points of the comic
>the comic starts out bad, gets way worse, then gets really good about 170 issues in

Is Archie Sonic the kind of comic they read on Bizarro Earth?