Mrs. Chiu is waifu

Mrs. Chiu is waifu.

Ronnie enjoys his Husky Man frozen dinner at the table with the Chiu family. The mother pushes a bowl towards him and says a word Ronnie doesn't recognize. Ronnie leans over to Agrias and asks what she said. "Vegetables, Ronnie. She said vegetables in English." Ronnie grimaces, "I don't know what that is."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c
youtube.com/watch?v=JkP7yZ9HYLU).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Vegetables, Ronnie. She said vegetables in English.

Both jokes are golden.

Alright this was a good one

They got one country, but two languages?

What a bunch of jerks. There's like one Japanese

China has a bunch of dialects,the government seems to be trying to make everyone speak Mandarin, though.

>Ronnie grimaces, "I don't know what that is."
Just keep on kekkin'

This whole thing is great. Mr.Chu looks fucking scary

Dialects should be pretty much mutually intelligible, though.

What's the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin? Is it like Norwegian and Swedish, or like English and Scots?

I don't know, I'm not Chinese.

More the first then the second I think.

China is so fucking huge that it actually ended up with more then one language in it's borders. They are more similar in writing but even that has divergences.

>Dialects should be pretty much mutually intelligible, though.
Lel, no. A Bavarian and an East Frisian will have a pretty hard time understanding each other's dialect, despite them belonging to the same language.

>a secret my wife and daughter don't even know
>Agrias nodding while her mother ching chongs.

She totally knows and gives him hits about how to react.

Frisian isn't German

I haven't studied the languages, but I'll tell you they sound recognizably different being spoken, even though I can't understand a damn word being said.

Tell that to the Canadians and their "french"

I guess it would be different in China, because both depend on pronunciation, right?

Having a slight accent could potentially change entire meanings.

>They are more similar in writing
That's because they use those logographs that mean things, not actual sounds, right?

Even The Japanese can parse general meaning from those, and their language is not even distantly related to Chinese.

>They got one country, but two languages?
But they're bigger than a lot of the countries in Europe combined. That didn't stop Europe from making several different Latin variations.

That's because the French Canadians are descended from essentially hillbillies.

It's like calling Appalachian English.

America is Spanish and . . .

>They got one country, but two languages?

Well, people speak Spanish and English in the USA, right? And then there are a number of Bigfoot-languages...

Not for long

In before the comic.

kek

Magic?

That or Ronnie was streaming

Not sure how to put it, but consider the sounds of numbers in both dialects. If written out in a rough approximation of their pronounciation:

Mandarin: Yi, Are, San, Sul (think sulk but drop the k [not quite though]), Wu, Liu, Chi, Ba, Jiao, Sure

Cantonese: Yup, Yi, San, Sei, Im (think hmm with a sharp i sound to start), Loc (lock but no k sound), Tsup (catsup, no ca sound, slur t and s), Gow, Sup

That's one to ten in those dialects.

Forgot 8 in Cantonese. Ba. But I've heard a brief sharp t sound at the end sometimes.

So, do they subtitle TV shows for the opposite dialect?

Huh... didn't know Agrias was Chinese.

Her mom looks better now with the Chi-Chi hairdo, at least.

Mandarin speaker here.

I don't know if this is entirely accurate, but I would compare spoken Mandarin and Cantonese to English and Spanish in terms of speaking.

To a foreigner that has no background in either English or Spanish, the two sounds similar. It's the same for Cantonese and Mandarin. But if one had any sense of experience in either, they can immediately pick the two apart.

It's the same for Cantonese and Mandarin, except what is said is completely different. A guy that only spoke Cantonese wouldn't be able to understand Mandarin and vice versa, but the written format is more or less the same.

It's more or less 2 completely different spoken languages with similar writing formats.

and on the issue of accents.

Accents in Mandarin vary, just like in English.

Think of it like American English, then going into Texan Accent, Boston Accent, Australian Accent, English Accent.

It's more or less all manageable with certain words being different, but used in a sentence most people can figure out what the other is saying.

My personal experience when I was in Beijing, China (my Mandarin Accent is Taiwan based), was finding out that the way they said "Trashcan" sounded very similar to how I would say "Pull" in the Taiwanese Accent. There were other words, but that one stood out to me cause I was trying to find a trashcan at the time and was asking around and people didn't know what I was asking for.

They thought I was asking, "Where is the hot can?" until I showed them the piece of trash I wanted to toss.

There are Mandarin accents though that go off the deep end of being unintelligible unless I try super hard to understand it.

Think of it as something like this
youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c

On that note, if you can read Mandarin, you can loosely SOMETIMES read SOME Japanese and Korean because the letterings are sometimes similar. But speaking wise they're completely different.

Think of it like Spanish and English where certain words are similar enough that you can guess at what it is.

Only for dramas and such. Which feels like the only thing actually watched in China.

I once overheard a conversation between a mega-scotsman (I'm talkin he sounded like he was from the middle ages and going to slay the damn brits or something) and a jamacian guy on par with Scratch Perry (youtube.com/watch?v=JkP7yZ9HYLU).

>mfw trying to get even a single word of it

Meant to quote Both of them were technically speaking english but it was all just mouth-noises to me.

>The trick to a BYOTVDTT (Bring your own TV Dinner to Thanksgiving) is to cook it at the exact right moment so that you are eating along with the family. You want to hit the start button on the microwave immediately after the mother comments on her daughter being slightly overweight, but before the dog gets excited from all the commotion and pees in the middle of the living room.

Where were you when Aggy was confirmed for thicc?

This is the best that Whomp has been in a while. Possibly ever.

Scots are Brits.

I thought Agrias was hapa

You don't know what a heavy Scots accent is like, do you? Cunt.

I find it interesting that 3 is san in both and same as in japanese.

I can't understand a damned word that scottish people say

And also "sam" in Korean. Japanese and Korean both have two different number systems, one using the borrowed-from-Chinese sounds and one using the native words. They've diverged a lot over the years, but the word for the number 3 is one that's fairly close.

No he's being literal

Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland and Wales.

The United Kingdom also includes northern Ireland

If you need to differentiate between England and Scotland, call them that.

I grew up in Inverness so you tell me.

before cihina was a big country it was pretty much different smaller countries

IIRC most number systems basically start out with "One" "Two" and "More" until they start working out larger numbers. Chinese and it's fancy 'writing' might have hit early enough to solidly claim the 3 spot.

Or it's a holdover from a proto-East Asian language that diverged into all three.

It's more that China came up with hanzi first, and then Korean and Japanese, which didn't have their own writing systems, decided to write their languages using Chinese characters. Japanese eventually simplified things by taking parts of kanji and using them to make kana, while Korean decided to throw most of that out and had scholars write up an alphabet from scratch in the fifteenth century.

But in both cases, the kanji and hanja used in Japanese and Korean words often retained a flavor of what the character sounded like in Chinese (or how it sounded like in Chinese hundreds of years ago when it was imported). Not usually a straight-up match, but you can feel the similarities between Zhongguo, Jung'guk and Chuugoku for "中国".

>But they're bigger than a lot of the countries in Europe combined.
Didn't stop anybody

Isn't calling them dialects of Castilian some sort of insult?

Why would it be?

Oh, wait, hold on, I was reading it wrong like a dink. I thought it was calling Catalan, Galician, etc. dialects of Castilian.

That being said, people from valencia will throw a shitfit if you claim they speak "catalan"

well yeah, by 2020 we can drop the ' and" since hispanics will be the majority entering the workforce

>English goes out of use in America in four years
I find this difficult to believe.

Japan has more than one dialect.

"American"

The difference between a dialect and a language is often one of politics. China as a nation wants to deemphasize the differences between their north and south and so they call them dialects. Sweden and Norway have long political divides and so they want to emphasize their distinctions, thus they call them languages.

I believe that Mandarin and Cantonese are largely mutually unintelligible. But, they do have the same written form, basically, which is a long tradition in China. Everyone might pronounce the written form diffently, but they can all basically read it.

Hispanic and Spanish speakers are not exactly the same either. Apparently by the third generation, like 99% of Mexican Americans don't speak Spanish, only English.

That could change of course, but who knows.

>getting paid to sit for hours on end
>probably gets free food too

Where can I apply?

On the website!

You can be a winner!

Are you a jolly rotund fellow like Ronnie, though?

Nice trips, but that's stupid. Russia has one language AND there's actually very little accent differences.

You know how latin got split up into german, french, spanish and tealand? The core is the same but they're still wildly different languages.

Chinese language is the same way. They're just pushing for Mandarin to be the official language the same way we push for English.

they share a written language

There are 25 recognized State languages in Russia besides Russian.

>You know how latin got split up into german, french, spanish and tealand?

>You know how latin got split up into german, french, spanish and tealand?
Are you a fucking retard?

Do you agree with this question: Ronnie is literally the only tolerable webcomic writer in history

that is quite literally the stupidest thing i have read this week.

that's not even close to being right

Mrs.Chiu a cute.

Yes, theres research on how it's more similar to english and nederlandse phonetically

Yes, user, that began during the Latin Invasion of Rome in 1499.

>There's like one Japanese

the USA´s 2nd most spoken language used to be German.

The Netherlands has barely got 17 million citizens and they speak frisian, dutch, flemish and english.

Latin spawned French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. English is Anglo-Saxon. German is fucking Germanic.

Russia doesn't have nearly as many people

English is a Germanic language but it has bits and bobs from a bunch of other languages, including Latin

No. For example some french dialects are nothing alike because they had different influence.

Oh, it's a LOT more than two. But only 3 of them really matter. Don't forget the Taiwanese.

Japan doesn't need to have japanese subtitles in it's TV shows.

That's been diverging, because the PRC communists wanted complete control over the language, and changed it so that new student's couldn't easily read pre-cultural revolution texts, and things straight from Taiwan.

American Immigrants nearly always lose their native languages over generations.

It might be a bit different for Spanish since the Country placates them more, but probably not

Does the McNinja guy still count as a webcomic writer?

I'd also throw in Olgaf.

Not true. Clevinger and Hastings are both perfectly tolerable. Though I'm not sure if either really count as webcomic writers now that Dr. McNinja is ending with Hastings making the jump to writing for Marvel full time and with Clevinger having phased out of the webcomic came after 8-bit theater ended.

>two languages
>only two
Haha oh user. I don't think you understand quite how much of a clusterfuck China is.

I meant two Chineses that are apparently two different languages

Most first gen Americans will speak both languages fluently but most second gen will speak primarily English.

I mean, we can even go further than that depending on what you mean by "Chinese." Off the top of my head I can think of Mndarin, Cantonese, Jin, Wu. There are more. All are differing levels of intelligible to one another, and all can easily claim to be Chinese.

>placates them more, but probably not
And most third gens will speak none at all, virtually.

It's the same with German, there aren't less German descendants, but the Language was not preserved

>two languages
Try like 7

German in general died out alot faster than normal since WWII happened and noone was sane enough to run around speaking the language of the enemy. It would probably still be spoken today if it wasn't for that.

You'll note that no one really speaks Italian or Chinese, either, despite a big wave of immigrants from those countries

>There's like one Japanese
Okinawa and Ainu say hi.

user every country that was not a colony first in which the natives got exterminated has several languages.
The offical one is just the lungua franca.

As german i can say - no they are not.

Es is' 'n deutscher Dialekt.

Ainu I don't think you could make any meaningful claim to being Japanese, other than being spoken in Japan. That's just a completely unrelated language. Though, all this stuff is ill defined as I have been arguing in this thread.

Frisian is not a German dialect. In fact, it's closer to English

Ainu is not a Japonic Language, you fucking retard.

It's not even distantly related

>
Japan doesn't need to have japanese subtitles in it's TV shows.

You say that, but they constantly are putting what people say on the screen in those variety shows.