How would Sup Forums improve American education? Why is it that all the Americans I've met can't do basic mathematics?

How would Sup Forums improve American education? Why is it that all the Americans I've met can't do basic mathematics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wZEGijN_8R0
antioligarch.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/john-taylor-gatto-weapons-of-mass-instruction.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=JPhg49BkVrw
textbookleague.org/103feyn.htm
bing.com/search?q=common core is a scam for publishers&FORM=HDRSC1
bing.com/videos/search?q=common core is a scam for publishers&FORM=HDRSC3
theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/01/where-school-dollars-go-to-waste/384949/
articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-06-22/news/9506220051_1_kansas-city-schools-performance-of-minority-students-national-norms
cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/money-school-performance-lessons-kansas-city-desegregation-experiment
youtube.com/watch?v=3GqiAhqnMmE
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Include more stringent requirements in math to get k-8 generalist certified.

Obviously increase Common Core so I can check my privilege harder.

I wonder why

Feds out Bible in

Estimation was such a waste of time
Its something you just do not need to be taught

WHAT IS THIS OREWELLION FUCKING SHIT
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

I mean, if you're taught basic math skills, you will automatically have the ability to accurately estimate. Teaching how to inaccurately perform basic calculations is just idiotic on the face of it.

Can't have the class move move too fast or certain students might be left behind.

It's common core, a math program designed to help low-IQ baboons get answers in math that are close to being right. They hold the smart kids back by making them take extra steps that they don't need to take. The extra steps are for the retards who will never use math in their jobs hauling coal anyway.

Wait, it is not just a Sup Forumsmeme ?

1+1=3 goy!

I went to school back in the early 90s and we wasted plenty of time 'learning' how to estimate

Common core math is basicly just drawing shapes and counting
youtube.com/watch?v=wZEGijN_8R0

antioligarch.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/john-taylor-gatto-weapons-of-mass-instruction.pdf

Read this. John Taylor Gatto breaks down how the government schools are used to indoctrinate children and prevent them from maturing into adults.

The Common Core has been in the works for at least a decade.

When the NCLB passed in 2002, it required ALL 50 states to both (1) require standardized testing for all students and (2) to report those findings to the government, which was how federal K12 money would be doled out. All were in compliance by 2008 which led to another problem, that there was 50 different standards. So the Common Core was made into policy by the DoE in 2010 to fix the problem and was mostly implemented last year (2015).

Despite the "big government" vibe from it, this is actually the worst possible thing that could happen to K12 schools. Specifically, as of right now there is zero (0) difference between the curriculum between a public school and a compliant K12 tutor. As long as kids pass the tests, the government doesn't care. It's a huge boost to private schools regardless if they use a CC compliant system or not. There is no reason to hire a unionized teacher now when they by law cannot teach anything different than a nonunion tutor.

It's part of a long term trend to destroy teachers unions and give parents more options. Democrats went for it thinking it would make inner city schools better, but instead they are punished the most as they score the lowest and actually get their money taken away from them as "punishment".

Funding needs to be evenly distributed across the whole country and not according to the wealth of individual school districts.

The top end of US education is outstanding (prep schools and Ivy League institutions) but the bottom is much worse than most developed countries. It's pretty disgusting that Americans put up with this and it obviously holds back the whole country.

Politicians could do better to celebrate learning and intellectual achievement (especially on the right of politics).

Less money should be spent on military causes and more on early levels of education.

Children of immigrant and bilingual families especially could do with more support.

Nutrition needs to be better in schools, which especially means getting big food companies out of school lunch provision.

Better athletic facilities are needed in urban schools.

Books need to be subsidized so they're more affordable for poor families.

The minimum wage in the US needs to go up to maybe $15 an hour so that parents can support their kids properly.

All this shit is obvious I'm at an Ivy League school now and it's frustrating how retarded American education can be at its worst.

I'd stop fucking over bright kids for the sake of dumb kids. And no, I am not just talking about GATE kids and such, as they are a small percentage of the population. The schools cater to the dumbest students in the class, which brings everyone down.

Also, more needs to be done to make schools more friendly to boys. Right now schools are hostile environments for many boys. Boys need realistic discipline that redirects their energy. They currently get stifled by overly restrictive classrooms. Smaller class sizes would help, but only if it is done correctly (i.e. not what liberals want).

We also need school vouchers for private schools. Parents should be able to send their children to the schools they want to. The whole system is set up to benefit the dumb and mindlessly obedient. That needs to change.

in that case you wouldn't even be able to count on fingers Cletus

>the kid even tried
>teacher be all "no you're too white, minus two points"
Holy shit I'm dying

We also need to go back to thorough IQ testing.

>How would Sup Forums improve American education?
kick out all the retards. educating stupid people is a waste of everyone's time.

Make kids learn on a pc at their own pace until lunch time. Grade levels are for Phy Ed only.

how about you format it so theres absolutely no question what youre asking for you fuckwits

Pay teachers way more

So is all "early math" programs. It's a nonissue if the child has good and involved parents. Which, by the way, is the largest determinator of academic success.

Which brings up another problem: helicopter parenting. Notice how colleges have gone to shit lately? Faculties there are aware of it as well. Tenured professors who can remember when they had enlightened debates with their students can't even talk about controversial subjects now as it triggers them. College students enter college ready to take standardized tests, not to think.

Which pisses off faculties as it means less and less professors, and more IT people and tutors. Why pay someone $150k/year AND give them an on campus residence when a $150 scantron does the same job?

here is why
youtube.com/watch?v=JPhg49BkVrw

Conscript soldiers to take over the education system and beat kids that don't pay attention.

Finally the OP gets an answer to his post.

>muh more money fo dem programs

We already spend way way too much on "education". The problem is it goes to administrative costs and sports shit, not good teachers and actual educating.

The only real way to fix it is for you, yourself, to get involved in local politics and fix your damn schools yourself. Throwing more money at corruption is just throwing good money after bad.

Read what Richard Feynman, a brilliant physicist, has to say about the corruption inherent in the school system. It's even an entertaining read.

textbookleague.org/103feyn.htm

>We also need school vouchers for private schools

You have something better, a standardized cirriculum and examination schedule (as mentioned here ). In this way, the legal framework now exists to completely dismantle the public K12 system if a state chose to do so. Your voucher system can actually exist now that there is a foundation for it.

This is why teachers (and their unions) tried so hard to prevent the NCLB and CC. But it's too late.

Remove the federal government.

Funny how the remedy to most all of our ailments comes down to this.

Too bad it was a shitty wrong answer.

It's better than an off-topic circle-jerk over common core.

>So is all "early math" programs. It's a nonissue if the child has good and involved parents.
Its a huge issue
Wasting time on bullshit like this is the reason why we dont get to algebra until middle school

90% of all k through 5 math could be taught in a week but they just drag shit along to waste time

>Funding needs to be evenly distributed across the whole country and not according to the wealth of individual school districts.
>The top end of US education is outstanding (prep schools and Ivy League institutions) but the bottom is much worse than most developed countries. It's pretty disgusting that Americans put up with this and it obviously holds back the whole country.
DC schools are the top funded in the nation
Go be Jewish somewhere else

The problem is definitely not corruption. The primary problem is underspending in poorer communities. Educational advantage in the US disproportionately goes to those who can afford it already. Just compare the percentage of GDP that goes to the different levels of education in the US to Scandinavian countries. Compare too relative levels of military spending. I think blaming corruption is a way of trying to dodge responsibility and to blame poor kids for being poor. Your answer doesn't make America a better country. Thanks anyway for the link.

>You have something better, a standardized cirriculum and examination schedule

You're a fool if you don't realize how damaging it is to have a standardized curriculum. Education is supposed to be the purview of the STATES.

>-1
>-1
For not being absolutely retarded and wasting your time not learning anything.

bing.com/search?q=common core is a scam for publishers&FORM=HDRSC1

bing.com/videos/search?q=common core is a scam for publishers&FORM=HDRSC3

Do give the link a read. It's very enlightening and entertaining.

I still disagree with you. The amount of spending per pupil is outrageous already. Where's the money going? To administrations that waste it on building construction, sports, and lavish expenses on themselves, like trips to conferences. It's waste and corruption. Here's another link that breaks down all the waste.

theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/01/where-school-dollars-go-to-waste/384949/

It's simple. You get rid of Common Core and the "No Child Left Behind" act.

>Education is supposed to be the purview of the STATES.

It would be nice if education was Standardized on a federal level, but we can't have this crap of waiting until 8th grade to learn basic algebra.

Here is my plan as far as math goes
1st Grade = Addition, Subtraction, and Fractions
2nd Grade = Multiplication, Division, and Negative Numbers.
3rd Grade = Decimals, Percents, Least Common Denominator, Factoring.
4th Grade = Order of Operations, Solving Equations, and Simplifying Expressions.
5th Grade = Pre Algebra
6th Grade = Algebra 1
7th Grade = Geometry
8th Grade = Algebra 2
9th Grade = Trigonometry
10th Grade = Pre Calculus
11th Grade = Calculus 1
12th Grade = Calculus 2

>it's simple

Those two words are a GREAT signal for bad ideas and lack of critical thinking.

The solution is GETTING INVOLVED in local politics and stamping out the corruption in school spending. Stop wasting money on administrative expenses like sports teams, new buildings, lavish conferences, and disgustingly wasteful technology outlays like buying every student an iPad.

>It would be nice if education was Standardized on a federal level
Why?

>1st Grade = Addition, Subtraction, and Fractions
>2nd Grade = Multiplication, Division, and Negative Numbers.
Fractions and division are the exact same thing

Im homeschooled.

>learning fractions in first day
Damn nigga in first grade I barely even knew what numbers were what the fuck

This is strange. We learned least common denominator way later

and what, are you supposed to do algebra OR geometry, not both?

Again, it's pushed off onto the parents. Smart parents will sit down with their kids and do it over themselves. Helicopter parents are much worse and force them into tutoring.

I harp on the latter because it's a real issue, specifically because policymakers (from aides up to Doe Secretary John King) have no idea what to do about it. The NCLB and CC were to "level the playing field", and ensure all schools are the same. But instead parents, even their own family members, send their kids to tutors so they can get a leg up. This subverts the entire system and gives them a huge advantage, which then makes certain schools better but without bringing up the lowest half. Also it fucks over the lowest preforming schools, as they have to compete alongside the other ones for a limited pool of money.

A lot of this happens due to academic inflation, which nobody inside the DoE itself knows how to address. As a result companies demand employees come in with trained day one as they won't train employees themselves on the job. This causes colleges to add more "work skills" requirements which increases the cost of a degree considering the increased use of remediation classes. The DoE loathes this but has no control over either group.

Their only "solution" is to make college free and to standardize it so they can dole the federal money out better. But this also takes away any freedom colleges have (a thing they do not want to give up) and defacto makes the K12 system into a K17 system. It also destroys all professorship positions, as they'd be replaced with tutors like many unionized teachers are.

tl;dr it's a hot mess and nobody has any realistic solutions

The move from a standards movement to the accountability movement is pretty much killing the industry. There are so many jobs in teaching right now because a lot of folks won't go into it. The close-to-retired teachers are still tenured so they're just riding it out till they can retire.

They can start fixing education by not pawning off every responsibility onto teachers.

But yeah, I know Sup Forums is gonna decry the Jew, but Ravitch talked a lot about how this movement has raped the industry. Democrats agreed to hold teachers unions nuts to the fire and Republicans went for big government control in school. Convenient.

Easy to do because I'll call it the way I see it, the public generally doesn't like teachers and sure as shit has no trust in them.

>The top end of US education is outstanding (prep schools and Ivy League institutions) but the bottom is much worse than most developed countries.
I wonder why schools serving black and hispanic students perform on par with black and hispanic countries? Quite the mystery...

>mo money fo dem programs
Doesn't work. They tried it in Kansas City and nothing changed.
>articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-06-22/news/9506220051_1_kansas-city-schools-performance-of-minority-students-national-norms

So that way we can a uniform level of intelligence so that way we have fewer half-tards.

Just to treat fractions as a portion of a value in that grade.

Certain things can probably be done federally, but to be honest it's been such a clusterfuck I'd just say hand it back to the states.

Fractions and division are often taught separately Yes, later on you get the idea they're the same but for a kid you start easier.

OMG multiplication is just repeated addition hur dur.

Spending has zero effect on education outcomes.

cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/money-school-performance-lessons-kansas-city-desegregation-experiment

Depends on where you are in the country, but generally you only had to take two years of math before common-core was implemented.

>Again, it's pushed off onto the parents. Smart parents will sit down with their kids and do it over themselves. Helicopter parents are much worse and force them into tutoring.
That still doesn't answer as to why elementary school math needs to be filled with fluff and move at a snail's pace

>Their only "solution" is to make college free and to standardize it so they can dole the federal money out better. But this also takes away any freedom colleges have (a thing they do not want to give up) and defacto makes the K12 system into a K17 system. It also destroys all professorship positions, as they'd be replaced with tutors like many unionized teachers are.
Do the opposite
Cut all funding at let the bubble burst

You don't get it. With a standardized curricula, states have full control over how education is distributed now. It's become a commodity, education is just a "service" which is bought from a compliant publisher and fed to kids either with a smartboard or a computer screen. No reason to have public schools anymore (at least not in the traditional sense) if the product now has a preset value.

It is the biggest blow to centralized education, in the sense that it'll in time cause the breakup of most school districts and state DoEs leaving just a federal office that only sets standards and cuts federal money. But, on a student-by-student basis, parents will get more choice than ever. This isn't necessarily a good thing though, and I'm not arguing that it is.

Yeah, I'm tired too with the ((( new tech ))) meme, the blackboard is the only thing students need. Buying Ipad is useless, it's just giving more shekels to (((them))).

>So that way we can a uniform level of intelligence so that way we have fewer half-tards.
Federal standards don't magically make kids smarter

>OMG multiplication is just repeated addition hur dur.
But it atleast a different symbol that means a different thing
1/4 can be viewed as either a fraction or a division problem

Common Core is the wrong way of doing the purposes it supposedly intends to achieve. There indeed needs to be a minimum standard for education all across a country, but not all schools need to have to teach with the exact same material and the exact same methods and lessons.

ditching books for laptops would save money and time grading
fuck ipads though

>at
Eh the common core math isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

I'm not a massive fan of it, it does take longer and it relies much more on physical and thought models based on that. However, it is intended to ensure more children have access. That always comes at a cost, and in this case the cost is time.

I'm a fan of having alternatives, but the way that the more traditional ways of doing math is downplayed is sort of silly.

This is very similar to the curriculum in the private school I went to. I clearly remember doing algebra in 6th grade.

Imagine my surprise when I got to college and I was the only person in my math class who could do algebra.

Bring back the medieval education

Trivium:
Reading
Writing
Rhetoric

Quadrivium
Mathematics
Science
Physical Fitness
Music

>it is intended to ensure more children have access.
How do they not have access now?

We just went 1:1 in my district. Every kid gets a Chromebook.

It's a little bit of a disaster at the moment. Granted, I'm sure it'll get easier. I spend way too much time resetting passwords, having a slow connection, and having their mandated tests time out or lock them out over password issues. Fun. Really glad that NONE of that has anything to do with my teacher training or the actual ya know, job.

>T*rk
>1 post by this ID
>a foreigner cares about the educational system in the USA

>Cut all funding at let the bubble burst

yes go tell the banks that I'm certain they will want an operating subsidy taken away. My point is that, amongst people actually looking and running the system, they don't really know what to do now that everyone has a degree and student debt. It's all just a giant mess and the hole has been dug so deep that the only solution they can come up with is to destroy what we now understand as "college" and replace it with a more school-type system.

But they can't do that, they're just out of options. Not much money either, which many states will use as a reason to offer vouchers or privatize their K12 systems now. They have all the tools.

It would fucking help if she wrote it so that you know whether you're multiplying the denominator or numerator

The idea that there's just one set of knowledge that one must know to be "educated" is a travesty. And who sets that? The government. Do you really want the FEDERAL government deciding what should be taught to kids? We've already seen them attack the bill of rights using common core, you think this is a good thing? Hell no.

You're missing the forest for the trees on this one.

I have a 2nd grade son and the math he brings home is literally shit. It's the most fucked up way to teach basic math to a young student.
One day he brings home some math worksheet for homework and I literally had no clue wtf they are even asking for as answers. So I ask my 15yo son who is great at math (honors, completed HS math requirements before HS etc) and he just looked at me and said 'I have no clue what the hell they are even asking'

Repealing common core is just one of many reasons why my wife is voting Trump... that and because she will vote for whoever I tell her to.
:^)

whiteboard >>> blackboard

Just having some students do the algorithm for math? Many kids struggled, hence the need for alternatives.

Mind you, I did fine with it. I'm just saying I'm happy to have other options. The problem is these other options are prioritized to the point where the traditional method is left out or given almost no time.

Destroy it all and start over, go back to 1900s style teaching.

Honestly senpai we need to get over ourselves and admit that children are born with varying intelligence levels and thus learn at different rates/in different ways. Create an aptitude test to find out the initial knowledge of the pupil/how they learn and group all of these students together. Re-test every couple of years to ensure that the pupil keeping up and jump them forward or hold them back based on the testing. Require a master's degree for teaching and/or starting paying them more than dogshit so that the profession will attract better candidates.

>Many kids struggled
How many of them were white males?

3 teir Asian system.

Test away from. The negro's whitey

1. Get rid of common core.
2. Allow teachers to be fired after 5 years.
3. Remove no child left behind
4. Spend money more efficiently

The problem is local and state level corruption in the school system just about everywhere.

More people need to get involved in local politics and local school boards to prevent this shit. Right now it's all corrupt assholes and SJWs running everything at the local level and it's clearly not working.

Hell, I'd pay for Sup Forums NEETs to sit on these education boards if only to spite the corrupt and SJWs.

Common Core is just gimmicky AF.

It'll die in 10-15 years and get replaced by another system

Nah. Clapping erasers during recess is a good way to punish the bad kids.

Did you call the teachers personal cell phone number and demand she explain that bullshit?

No? Then clearly you don't give a shit about your son and what he's being subjected to at school.

Oh right its Sup Forums. Always niggers fault I forgot.

Well we can't very well have an educational system that serves only 25% of the population. So, the need for various methods.

My point is that I'm not to keen on teachers being forced to pick the new methods over the old ones.

During my training I recall seeing the multiplication tables up in soon-to-be-retired teachers room. I was then warned that we don't do that much anymore and to forget it.

Job security is pretty much dying in the field. Hence why there are so many openings for jobs in some states.

Last I checked Florida was hiring teachers all year around due to chasing so many off. Good idea though, show those overpaid fuckers.

>How would Sup Forums improve American education?
just copy an existing working model
like say... germany 20 to 30 years ago. Should be a reasonably high standard while still achievable

You wouldn't either. You don't even breed.

aren't whiteboard's effectively the same? but i hate the sound chalk makes
>SCREEEE
>SCREEEE
especially when i'm writing

also my very distant relatives died for this

Really i think the solution is to make education a privlege again and stop this bullshit where it's a "right". Remember forty years ago when you could expel a kid from school and they were FUCKED then. They had to move districts to find someone to let them into school again. Can't do that shit now. Dumb little trouble makers just hang around making life shitty for teachers AND students. Half the problems would be solved if you could boot the fuckups out permanently.

It is k-5 math we are talking about
Anyone that found it hard should should probably find a line of work that doesn't require it
The problem with public schools is they are too focused on the bottom tier students

Yep pretty much. We have some bad boy types in my class, I don't bother doing much to get em in trouble because then they just go to a discipline office, I get a ton of paperwork, and then I also have to have work for them to complete.

So, basically when a kid's a shit in my class if I follow protocol I make a bunch of work for myself. Pass, I got other shit to do.

He's never had a teacher give out their personal cell number, only their school email. But I did however write a note explaining that he, myself and my HS aged son had no idea what the lesson was even trying to teach.
As for me giving a shit, I do give a shit. But my wife generally handles school correspondence. Last time she took me to a meeting with teachers and faculty to discuss my son, I ended up telling them that they are not even helping, that I know they are sugar coating things and trying leaglly cover their own asses.

no
I am going to guess your schools have been filled with leftist propaganda for a while now
youtube.com/watch?v=3GqiAhqnMmE

So you care, but you're not going to do anything more than send a note that will be ignored.

Have you considered homeschooling? Homeschooled children are much better adjusted than their government school peers and are better educated as well. Plus they don't get forced to deal with niggers or die in school shootings.

>2. Allow teachers to be fired after 5 years.

Teachers can be fired on the spot if their tests aren't good. The NCLB specifically stated schools and school districts MUST do this regardless of existing collective bargaining agreements. This is why most teacher strikes have failed, because if students do poorly on tests (say due to a strike) then the school can axe people.

More importantly, bad teachers cost the school federal money. So even inside collective bargaining agreements the school has a huge amount of leverage over the unions as they can claim their policies are affecting their ability to pay for students' education in aggregate.

It's a problem up and down the chain. It's a century of stacking city agencies, school districts, state agencies and the DoE with no serious reform. At least until the NCLB, which stripped everyone except the feds of their power. This is how the CC could happen.

You can literally cut everything in half by combining what's in first and second grade, what's in third and fourth and so on. And then add statistics

Yep, thanks for pointing this out. I hate to break it to folks but the durrr teachers have lifetime employment meme is getting old.

Florida it's been gone for anyone hired after 2011 pretty much. I was told day one that we are on probationary contracts and annual after that, *wink wink*.

Kek.

If people, both students and professors, value BB far above WB it is not for nothign.

WB is good for wimin who do not write anything.

>At least until the NCLB, which stripped everyone except the feds of their power. This is how the CC could happen.

The feds only have power under the NCLB because of the funding they provide. Nobody has to follow them if they don't give a shit about federal bloodmoney. CC is voluntarily adopted by corrupt local politicians and SJWs and can easily be pushed back. But people need to actually get involved at the local level, take time out of their lives and make their community a better place. I'm seriously tempted to start a PAC to fund young NEETs to get elected to these positions and make education great again.

Were these bait posts?

20 / 5 (2 * 2)
20 / 5 (4)
20 / 5(4)
20 / 20

Multiply the number right next to the parentheses after solving what's inside. That's the rule.