Secret Warriors v2 Announced as part of RESURRXION

Cover by David Nakayama

>This December, Marvel’s two major races of super powered beings — mutants and Inhumans — will go to war in the “IvX” miniseries. Readers still don’t know the exact scope and scale of the conflict and how it will impact all the players involved, but we do know that the fallout will have a huge impact on both Marvel’s X-Men and Inhuman lines of books, which will relaunch this spring under the banner of “ResurrXion.”

>Today, CBR has the exclusive first word that in addition to the previously announced “Royals” and “Black Bolt” books, Marvel’s Inhuman titles will also include a new ongoing “Secret Warriors” series from writer Matthew Rosenberg and artist Javier Garron, which will feature a large cast of Inhuman characters — but not just Inhumans.

>The team will include some of Marvel’s best known Inhumans, with a focus on younger characters — Quake/Daisy Johnson (a character currently portrayed by Chloe Bennet on “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”), Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl (and Devil Dinosaur), Inferno and Karnak; though Rosenberg teases that non-Inhumans will be added to the team. Now that it’s known that the Inhuman royal family will leave Earth as a result of the “IvX” fallout, “Secret Warriors” will tell the story of the Inhumans left to save the world.

>What connection will this group have to the original “Secret Warriors” team that was assembled by Nick Fury Sr? How will certain members not used to the clandestine world react when they enter it? And how will the tone of the series compare to other Marvel team books? For the answers to these questions and more, CBR spoke with Rosenberg about his plans for the series.

>CBR: Matthew, next year you’ll kick off a new volume of “Secret Warriors.” So let’s start by talking about the significance of the title. Why call the book “Secret Warriors?” I understand the cast features a returning member in the form of Daisy Johnson, a.k.a. Quake, but will this series have a similar tone and feel to Jonathan Hickman’s original “Secret Warriors” series?

>Matthew Rosenberg: I’m a huge fan of Jonathan Hickman’s “Secret Warriors.” It is one of my favorite Marvel books of the last decade. And as tempting as it would be to just rip that book off and try to remake it, I am pretty sure nobody, including me, really wants that.

>What we have with our “Secret Warriors” is a book that is sort of hard to define. Wil Moss and Charles Beacham (my editors), and I actually kicked around a few different names for the series. I wanted to call it the “All-Winners Squad” for a bit. It is really hard to name a series it turns out. But a lot of the intangible stuff that made the original “Secret Warriors” what it was also finds its way into our book. This is sort of Quake’s team, there is a bigger fight than they can fully see or be a part of, it’s clandestine and full of intrigue. It’s high stakes, who do you trust, behind the curtain stuff. In terms of tone, I think Hickman’s would be beyond hard to replicate, but there will be pieces of it.

>Some of the original “Secret Warriors” is definitely in our DNA for sure, but we are forging our own path. People will see similarities and differences, but there are elements of other titles thrown in like the X-Men, The Runaways, The Avengers, Heroes For Hire, The Inhumans, and The Defenders too. But at the end of the day they are warriors and they are working in secret, so it was the obvious choice.

Stop forcing Moon Girl, Marvel.

Holy shit.

>CBR: What can you tell us about Daisy’s role in this new team of “Secret Warriors?” It seems like given her experience with the previous incarnation of the group and the fact that she was interim director of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a brief period that people might look to her for leadership, but is she necessarily comfortable in that role?

>Rosenberg: Daisy is such a great character. When we first met her she was very young and sort of Nick Fury’s secret weapon. During the original “Secret Warriors” she really begins to have some agency and push back against being manipulated. And from there she went on to do bigger and bigger stuff, all while still being younger than most heroes. She is learning the ropes while she goes and all of these very important people have a tremendous amount of trust and respect for her.

>In our book she is really looking to take charge and be the leader of a team, not because she wants to. The correct path isn’t going to be easy or obvious, but she is sure she knows it. This is really a chance for her to make mistakes and find out what she is really made of when it’s her reputation on the line.

>As for whether she is comfortable as the leader? No, I don’t think so. But she knows someone has to be and she came up under Nick Fury, so she doesn’t trust anyone else to do it.

>CBR: Your cast also includes two young heroes who have never really set foot in the world of espionage: Moon Girl, who will be joined by her faithful companion Devil Dinosaur, and Ms. Marvel. What’s it like writing these characters within the environment of this team?

>Rosenberg: I love Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl. Reading both of those series has been one of the best parts of being a Marvel fan for me in the past few years. And I have a tremendous amount of respect for what G. Willow Wilson & Adrian Alphona have made with “Ms. Marvel,” and what Brandon Montclare, Amy Reeder, & Natacha Bustos have made with “Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.” I am going to do my best to try and live up to the intimidatingly high bars they set.

>But yeah, we are seeing Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl in a new situation for them. Both of them are big personalities and what is happening to them, what they have to do, they are going to do on their terms. Ms. Marvel and Quake are really fighting for the soul of the team in a lot of ways, while Moon Girl will continue to really do her own thing. They will all be tested and challenged, they are superheroes after all, but they are going to do things their way. So what you may see is some conflict and friction on the team, some inner turmoil as they struggle with how to get certain things done, but it will very much be the Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl fans love.

>And Devil Dinosaur is just going to do dinosaur-y stuff.

>CBR: Your cast also includes two veteran members of the Inhuman royal family, Inferno and Karnak. Both of these guys have interesting perspectives with Inferno being sort of an everyman and Karnak’s ability to see weakness. How do these guys fit into the overall dynamic of the group?

>Rosenberg: With what is going on in the world in general and with the Inhumans specifically, Inferno is really looking to step up. He sees the way Ms. Marvel is identified as a hero first and foremost and he wants that as well. He will look to her for guidance in a lot of ways, but she is a pretty extraordinary role model to try and follow. Inferno is new to the superhero thing and new to the spy thing, so he is just trying to keep up.

>meanwhile X-books are used to kill DC NYCC hype
But hey, OG Wolverine is on the cover, that means he's coming back, right?

>Karnak will have a role in the book, but more than that I can’t really discuss. I hate to be mysterious, but it is pretty appropriate when discussing Karnak.

>CBR: [Laughs] That is very true! Is this your entire cast of characters? Or is there more you’ll reveal later? And if so are all your characters Inhuman?

>Rosenberg: Some more folks will be added to the fold as we go, some are even fan favorites, but we aren’t giving out any clues just yet. And no, they aren’t all Inhumans. For what this team has coming they will need all the help they can get. Or rather all the help they can trust.

>CBR: Drawing “Secret Warriors” is artist Javier Garron who is probably best known by Marvel fans for his run on the recent “Star-Lord” ongoing series [as well as the fill-in artist for Death of X and IvX]. What do you enjoy most about Javier’s style?

>Rosenberg: Javier is amazing. He has such a great style, so full of energy and fun. I love how expressive his characters are, how good the acting is. It gives me as a writer a real shot at making the characters connect with the readers. We need you to like the Secret Warriors and care about them. It’s much easier to ask that of the reader when someone like Javier is bringing them to life.

>Also his fight scenes kick ass.

>CBR: Finally, let’s talk a little more about the initial stories and larger dynamic of the team. What sort of mission statement will the new “Secret Warriors” have? What does that means for the types of stories you can tell in the book? And initially is this a group that’s necessarily happy to be together?

>Karnak
>Quake
>Kamala
>Moon Girl
Who is the fire dude?

>Rosenberg: The Secret Warriors are a team that is being pulled in two directions at once. On one side is the clandestine spy element, represented by Quake. On the other is the superhero side, represented by Ms. Marvel. This book is sort of a tug of war between these two approaches — what is acceptable, what is necessary. Why do we need people flying around with capes on? What does that get us? And why do we need people operating in secrecy? How does that help? That will be their struggle as they try to answer those questions.

>As for what it means for what kind of stories we tell with them? All kinds. They are versatile characters who are complex, relatable, and interesting. We want people to pick the book up for the crazy adventures and high stakes action, but also for the personal moments. I hope just as many readers appreciate the struggles of these characters and how they deal with it. I’ve really been looking to Chris Claremont’s X-Men as a big source of inspiration in a lot of ways with that. It’s about who the Secret Warriors are as much as it’s about what they do.

>Are they happy together? No.

>I just really hope people give the book a chance. We get to use some amazing characters that I hope we can bring to the attention of some new readers. I hope longtime fans of Ms. Marvel, Quake, Moon Girl and Karnak come along for the ride. I have a feeling we’re going to give you something a little different from what you expect with this book.

>Quake Deodato teaser finally fulfilled

Inferno

I'm actually very intrigued by the team lineup. You have some seriously contrasting personalities that I'm curious to see mixed.

>Kamala
Fuck.
>Moon Girl
I like her well enough, but she's a niche character. She belongs on a team as much as Gwenpool does.
What's Rosenberg written?

>>Moon Girl
WHY?! She's such an eyesore! She's looks like they took Urkle and made him female!

Is... is this a joke?

Do they really think interest in Ms Marvel is that high that she's in two team books?

>not recognizing DANTE'S INFERNO
Fuck you!

Just fuck off with that Secret Warriors name.
SW was amazing and complex.
This looks like a fucking toy commercial.

Cyclops died for this.

FUCK YOU MARLEL FOR WASTING ROSENBERG ON THESE GARBAGE BOOKS. FUCK YOU. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Are they just putting Kamala on every new team book now?

FUCK YOU MARVEL

How many established, classic characters are you planning on dishonoring and destroying just to push your shitload of pandering garbage.

Rocket Raccoon will be over by the time this starts.

Not necessarily.

>why the name "Secret Warriors"?

Because they want to lure fans of hickmans Secret Warriors in.
Aomehow marvel tries to sell unwanted new characters under the disguise of esrablshed names.
And than they wonder why these mostly flops.

If Rosenberg is good, why would this book be garbage?

Also:

S Y N E R G Y
Y
N
E
R
G
Y

More like
Stop forcing inhumans. It seems they dont sell, but they crap out books.

where are the white male and christian characters?

Literally the inhumans book, fuck this shit.

>establish Karnak as cold killer
>put him on a team with kids
>Kamala getting the wolverine treatment and getting put in every book

Yes, thats why they put Ms Marvel in it and let it open for other characters.
I bet if they see it doesnt sell well, they will ad Human Torch, Spiderman or Nich Fury into the rooster.

Since we already know these inhumans book wont sell which one is going to be cut first ?

Black bolt and Royal wont be because of the "movie" in 2017.

>if we don't put "Inhuman" in the title maybe it will sell better!
This is how desperate they are to push them

I give Secret Warriors 10 issues at most.
Royals will probably be good because Ewing. Black Bolt could go either way, but I'm guessing 12 issues.

They're putting all the characters I don't give a shit about into one book? Cool.

Under 20k sales in 3 issues for all of them.

Oh, this is by the Kingpin guy. That was a great mini.

I'll probably try it. I don't give a shit about Quake or Inferno, and I don't think Moon Girl belongs, but I like Kamala and Karnak. Assuming that it actually lives up to the pitch instead of being generic superhero shit like Champions, it could be fun.

Really? It kinda are different charakters. But it feels like a mess. Its not like suicide squad, original secret warriors or even champions.
For me its not a ragtag team or a team of misfits, it feels more like a calculated team.
Feels like it will bomb.

For a while, I thought Hickman was returning.

>Inferno
Fucking why?

that's the bait

>even he knows there are no Inferno fans

Which inhuman books will be in 2017?

>Ms Marvel
>Moongirl
>Royals
>Secret Warriors

Which are still there?

Are we sure Ironhearth isnt an inhuman?

Sorty, burning dudes all kinda look the same.

... how many established characters are being ruined by this? But the only thing awful about this is Quake's hair, which had already been changed by this point.

The guy that's on fire is a white male christian. The guy in green is a white male nihilist.

Mosaic.

As someone that actually likes Moon Girls book, the fact that Marvel insists on shoving her into other books in the wider MU is fucking disgusting.

Dante, I think.

Now look here. You have to decide who's the Wolverine of this team.
The obligatory killer or the one who gets shoved in to be cute around young girls.

I'd rather Johnny be the resident fire guy than Inferno. I didn't actually mind Johnny throwing in with the inhumans considering all the history they have. It's jsut JohnnyxMedusa that's bullshit and had to end.

OK, so that's Karnak accounted for. Crystal, Black Bolt, Medusa, and Gorgon are going off to space.

So that leaves Triton, Lockjaw and Maximus as the unaccounted for royals.

It's that he's good and being forced to write this Meme garbage and Rocket Raccoon.

So there's a, like, 90% chance Robbie joins the team, isn't there?

>forced
How is he being "forced" to do these?

Lockjaw takes up permanent residence at Grove Street or in the Silent Room.

Here's to hoping.

Yeah, having Karnak on a Secret Warriors team is a good fit. Quake is obviously a must-have. Inferno I guess is the Hellfire replacement cause you've gotta have a generic fire guy.

But Moon Girl and Ms. Marvel are the weirdest fucking fit imaginable. A 9 year old girl and hurt pet dinosaur doing clandestine spy shit? Ms. Marvel being on a team that presumably has the OK to kill when necessary?

I'm interested in this book since I like Rosenberg and Hickman's original Secret Warriors, but Kamala and Lunella are fucking awful choices for the team. They should have just gone full DUDE SYNERGY LMAO and put Robbie on the team. And of all the nuhumans to add, why go with inferno, the worst and most generic among them, instead of one of the few cool ones like Reader?

Quake, Reader, Robbie, Karnak, and, I dunno, a rogue Fury Sr. LMD, would have been a good team that still hits their "inhumans" and "MCU synergy" targets.

Oh well, hopefully Moon Girl and Kamala pull a "yo, I'm not OK with this" and leave the team.

>I’ve really been looking to Chris Claremont’s X-Men
KILL YOURSELF. OR BETTER. KILL EVERYONE AT MARVEL

So... another inhumans book I don't care.

It's a pity, because I could read a Quake book, actually. Juts... don't see this: the team itself doesn't pick my interest. And I don't really care a lot for Kamala outside her book either.

Karnak I get, he is basically a shield agent. He teamed with them in his solo, new avengers, and Ulysses. It's the kids that throw it off.

Maximus supporting character in the BB ongoing?

Pretty sure a Fury LMD is already joining Hawkeye's team in Occupy Avengers.

>Karnak cancelled with #6

Anyone reading the Karnak solo? He just pulverized a old grandpa because he was angry. Now, he has to cooperate with Ms Marvel and Moon Girl? Fucking Moon Girl. Like Marvel would let a little black girl getting hurt by a foe.

I want anyone who buys shithumans to die of painful cancer

What?

>Rosenberg: Daisy is such a great character.

Why is it a bad thing to look at good comics for inspiration?

>no Robbie

But SYNERGY!!!

I'm done discussing. Fuck marvel, fuck inhumans, fuck weisenberegergerb, fuck resurrexion, fuck ike the kike, fuck alonso, fuck quesada, fuck brevoort, and fuck YOU

>Everyone whaling on Robbie while he just stands there tiredly
Gold.

Oh cool, so we've still got another 6 months then.

fuck off shithuman degenerate

Moon-Boy died for garbage like this.

I want to see Kamala and Karnak interact. Don't care about the rest, why Inferno of all people?

Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl slash fics when?

I'm so pissed at how Marvel mishandled the Inhumans.

I really hope that show is good, but it'll probably be shit.

>Wil Moss and Charles Beacham (my editors), and I actually kicked around a few different names for the series. I wanted to call it the “All-Winners Squad” for a bit. It is really hard to name a series it turns out.
Yeah, it must be really hard to name a series if you limit yourself only to names you previously already used for something different.

>Apart they couldn't sell 20k
>Together they won't sell 15K

>They are THE SECRET WARRIORS!!
What did Marvel mean by this?

The Moon Girl shilling is even worse than the Inhuman shilling. Her book sells like shit yet they insist on shoving her down our throats. It's worse than the Wolverine effect since at least Wolverine is popular. And whose bright idea is it to bring a goddam 9 year old into a super team? I don't care how smart she is, this goes beyond even Charles Xavier reckless endangerment of a minor

I like Moon Girl a lot, but holy shit this is a poor team choice for her. Hell, even Champions would have been a better fit

>Now that it’s known that the Inhuman royal family will leave Earth as a result of the “IvX” fallout
Well, if you didn't know about it before, then you know it now.

>Kamala yet in another team book

Jesus Christ

Because fucking EVERYONE looks to Claremont for inspiration. That's why we're stuck with the same fucking X-Men line-up 'til the end of goddamn time. It's why Bendis' X-Men was nothing but rehashes of old plots.
Claremont wrote the landmark X-Men run. But they always just take the surface elements. They forget that a lot of Claremont's run was building up character progression, and they insist on keeping them the same as in his initial run rather than following their growth.

Worth noting that her book is actually decent, but even its fans will tell you there's zero fucking reason for her to be showing up outside of it. Like seriously, who wants to see her outside of her book. People that don't read her book don't give a fuck about her and those that do read her book unanimously agree that she's better off being her own little self-contained thing, not yet another cog in Marvel's bullshit crossover mill.

>announce the X books with a collage of old art and no creators
>announce the shithumans books with creators and new promotional art
Thanks Ike

>It's worse than the Wolverine effect since at least Wolverine is popular.

Wolverine also had to be built up to be a popular character. In fact he didn't become popular till Byrne took over X-Men.

It's like Marvel somehow forgot how to develop and make characters popular in the last three years. You can't just simply force a character into being popular, that rarely works.

Only popping in this thread because the cover thumbnail made me laugh.

Kamala leaving Champions? Is it finally cancelled?

What the fuck is up with co complaining that children aren't sexy?

Nope. Marvel is just really eager on driving Ms. Marvel into the ground by shoving her into books where she doesn't belong.

Kamala and Lunella will likely be blackmailed onto the team by Daisy and her SHIELD connections, because SHIELD doesn't like ANYBODY being beyond their control.

Well she's like the only successful New Inhuman character in the last three years, so of course they're pushing her a lot.

The irony being that her associations to the Inhumans are minimal at best and portrayed in her own book as mostly negative parts of her life (barring Lockjaw, because he's a DOG).

I like the creative team. I liked the original Secret Warriors. I like half of the cast. Yet something still just doesn't sit right with me about this one.

The cast just feels so manufactured. Quake, obviously. Karnak fits. But Ms. Marvel and Moon-Girl? Fucking Inferno? Hopefully Moon-Girl isn't really part of the team and just shows up to drop Devil Dinosaur off for giant monster fights.

I think it's more them distancing themselves from the stupid feud of the Royals with the X-Men.
I don't think disgraced SHIELD will have much say at that point.