SAN JUNIPERO DOUBLE WIN AT EMMYS 2017

It beat Fargo and Sherlock to take home the Outstanding Writing For A Limited Series and Outstanding TV Movie awards. Puts to bed the sjw belief that a white cishet male can't make /QueerKino/ too, bravo Brooker.

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/emmys-2017-winners-black-mirror-san-junipero-charlie-brooker-outstanding-writing-tv-movie-a7952266.html

Other urls found in this thread:

mackenziedavisfan.tumblr.com/post/165462845323/mackenzie-davis-and-gugu-mbatha-raw-in-the-press
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do people love this again? The acting is atrocious and the plot is meh.

Oh good one of the bottom 3 black mirror episodes wins. Even the one that can be summed up as "aaaggh bees" was bettter

rule of thumb is to avoid anything that won awards after 2007

>entire series is Bradbury esque warnings against technology with dark, bitter endings
>"it's the only episode with a happy ending haha :^)"
>hedonist/utilitarian plebs all don't understand the underlying horror of the San Junipero ending

fucking normie retards

I wish Sup Forums would watch real kino.

You'd learn what lesbian love truly means.

It only won because queers

Best girl

Good job on avoiding Mad Men, Fargo and The Night Of I guess

>DUDE LESBIANS LMAO
So brave

I wish people would realize that this episode doesn't really have a happy ending, or that it was originally intended to be vague. These people are essentially throwing their past lives away to live in a hedonistic eternity without any real bonds. Actually dying and resting seems like a much better alternative, and the part where one of the girls talks about her husband doing that because their daughter couldn't is meant to reflect that.

But the majority of people who watch this show can't even think about that. It's fucking stupid.

This. Living for eternity like that sounds fucking scary and empty. These are still people who can make bad decisions and hurt each other. When you're confined to a finite group of people, with a finite amount of settings, eventually everyone in San Junipero is going to go batshit insane.

it's hardly "horror" given it's explicitly stated they can opt out at any moment if things lose their lustre, but it is bittersweet

Is this broad city

Why am I not surprised that the lesbian episode won?
Also lesbians are not oppressed anymore, stop complaining about it, stupid dykes.
>inb4 they kill lgbt people in the middle east
Like they will change their mind because of Netflix.

actually the black girl is bisexual and was in a loving relationship with a man for decades

Not even queer guys.
Doesn't matter.
Let's be realistic here. The average man likes seeing lesbians on screen as long as they aren't bull dykes. But they will be grossed out by gay men. So that's why shows and movies use lesbians to pretend to be progressive, it's because it's safe since the default straight male target audience gets horny for them and they can still pretend to care about lgbt issues.

mackenzie a CUTE. CUTE!

also if they wanted to please the Tumblrina audience they'd have given the award to BBC'S Sherlock, which it was up against, not the queer love story written by a white cishet man that actually turned out to be good, that's their worst nightmare.

>worst episode of season 3
But muh progressive characters though

I don't think tumblr cares about who wrote it that much, they can't post gifs of the writer on tumblr, only gifs of the actual show.

they make a pretty big point of the fact neither of them are available to men so I don't know whether guys would enjoy it sexually desu
I don't think that's the angle Brooker was going for with this

What are you talking about? Men don't care if the lesbians on screen are available to men, they just get horny for the idea of lesbians.

Potatocore

YAAAAASSS

>DUDE 80s LMAO

There's also the fact that it's not even clear if it's actually them or just an imitation once the real person dies.

ALso the fact that the concept of heaven, which was clearly important to that woman's husband and was a point of moral defiance and dignity, is then reduced to this little hedonistic vision stored inside some blinking lights in a basement that one day will go out. Hence "Heaven is a place on Earth" playing.

Saying its worse than Men Against Fire is just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

>Dollar store PKD knock-off story wins because women and diversity

Why do I even pay attention to this shit?

Because there's nothing else on TV.
Or on Sup Forums for what matters.

>Oscars so white happens
>Next year Oscars are disproportionately won by black actors
>Now SJWs are getting their turn

Really makes me think

it's impossible to upload conciousness from the point they die they will be a simulation

Now that everyone gets their chance I wonder if there will be proper, actual equality and competition next year.

>80's pastels without actual 80's grime.
>Gay couple, but women not men.
>Interracial couple, but just black with white, also mulatto not full race.
>Promises a future of immortality and eternal indulgence.

The safest, paint by numbers and worst acted piece of pandering in the entire series and obviously it's the one picked for an award.

mackenzie a COALBURNER. COALBURNER!

I think too many people who watch the show were wrapped up in the relationship, nostalgia, and also have lost the idea of what a real paradise is. They probably know deep down that San Junipero would suck, but they think that living in a place like that would actually be heaven.

If you're capable of understanding what a real "heaven" is supposed to be like, and how meaningless an eternity-long quest to have sex is, you quickly see just how scary San Junipero is and how fucked the main characters are.

Do you think it was originally supposed to be a lot more grim? Because there are a lot of pieces in the episode that point to the ultimately futile nature of a place like San Junipero, and how the happy ending might not actually be happy.

I have this strange feeling that the episode was changed by someone to be happier, but the director left in just enough to point out that it wasn't supposed to be like that.

I have this strange feeling that we are just reading too much non existent poetry in an episode that was literally just dude 80s and dude lesbians.

Agreed.

I think it's meant to be about hope. But hope is cheap when fulfilment is guaranteed, that's why it feels so glib.

I would have ended it with the black girl thinking the white girl died and moving on with the white girl determined to find her amongst the billions upon billions already uploaded.

Brooker said that as far as he's concerned, it's the original consciousness that is uploaded
it's pure science fantasy but that's how it is in the context of the fictional universe the story is set in. he's said in multiple interviews that he specifically wrote the episode as a direct reaction against people expecting everything these days to have some kind of hidden dark subtext or stinger in the tail. as far as he's concerned, whether or not it actually lasts forever, it's really them and they're happy together and have the life they always dreamed of. it's okay to just have a happy ending sometimes. the stuff beforehand (yorkie spent her entire adult life, decades, as a locked-in vegetable fully conscious for fuck's sake) was already bittersweet enough.

it's this
Brooker had full creative control
there were no "last-minute changes" or anything of the sort, he joked about the idea of having the servers crash at the end or something but said it felt unnecessarily edgy

it's not promising eternal hope and salvation for anybody, it's just a really cute love story some people can relate to; I have cerebral palsy and it's fucked up a lot of life oppurtunities for me so watching the episode was very moving for me for obvious reasons, but I'm not about to treat it as anything other than a nice bit of escapism. it's just a nice story. no big deal. nobody who made it is pretending it's deep or that it's hard science, just that it's emotionally touching for some people and is considered a well-made piece of television by a decently-sized audience. you're reading a lot more into it than the people who liked it.

>21st century twilight zone
>dude its not meant to be some dark smart thing lol just turn ur brain off

fuck off.

Then it's not really a Black Mirror episode. Because the majority of the series isn't about sentimentality and escapism. It's about real human problems and how they could be accentuated by technological perversion. I'm not even reading too much into that, that is 100% Black Mirror. If San Junipero isn't mean to be a commentary on a sort of mechanical, limited afterlife and what that means for people, then it's not really a Black Mirror episode.

Cute lesbians
Love it

This. All these nihilists complaining about how "Junipero isn't REALLY a paradise when you think about it" are forgetting that real life isn't either, so who gives a fuck? Real life is just as shitty and limiting.

Why can't it be an optimistic commentary on the possibilities of virtual reality for the aged and disabled? Why does all commentary have to be nihilistic? Even the Twilight Zone had positive episodes. I feel like you have a very limited view of commentary.

No, that's when they got it right for a while. Avoid everything to win with a Republican in office when the Emmys feel the need to #resist. This year's shitshow and West Wing winning every year over Sopranos or The Wire.

>sherlock even being nominated for best writing

Because the episode very clearly has bits and pieces in there to suggest the world isn't all that great, but instead of focusing on it and the greater ethical dilemmas (which is like all Black Mirror) they went for a love story. It's shallow, but there's such a good concept and framework underneath that they never give enough of the spotlight to. The episode would have been better if they focused on the world, and not the love story. That's why it's not well written.

Real Life has some sort of meaning to it though. You can pass on knowledge, your DNA, and you can give people better lives through charity and good work. San Junipero has none of that. Comparing the two is pretty ridiculous. Real life is infinitely better than San Junipero once you look past the constant sex.

Brooker has already said he's always wanted the show to have more variety in tone than just grimdark which is also why Season 4 is going to have an overtly comedic episode, starring Jesse Plemons

>implying there's any meaning in life that isn't a human construct
>implying there's therefore no meaning in everlasting love or experiencing simple things like dancing or feeling the sand between your toes that you never thought you were going to be able to experience til now because you just spent the last 40-60 years as a vegetable with a tube in your throat unable to even kill yourself, let alone cry

Passing on your DNA isn't a human construct though, pretty much all animals are designed with that as their #1 drive.

Best episode of that season was Shut Up and Dance.

>Brooker said that as far as he's concerned, it's the original consciousness that is uploaded

>it's pure science fantasy

it's pure fantasy

That episode was SHIT, the ending completely undermined the point the rest of the episode had made.

Post S1 black mirror is all pretty bad desu

This. Except for White Christmas, that one was good.

>It beat Fargo and Sherlock

That's like beating a cripple and a retard in a race.

LITERALLY the best single of episode of ANY series EVER.
Only redditors will disagree.

>it's not even clear if it's actually them or just an imitation once the real person dies.

I don't see how that matters

>Black Mirror after Season 2

No.

>This won over White Christmas

Sup Forums BTFO yet again.

I argue this pretty regularly and I think I've convinced a couple people. I think the underlying horror of it, though, and the one girl's submission to the world instead of dying like her husband, makes it better though. It's a very human ending, that our fear of death overrules our philosophical honesty.

Still, not my favorite of the third season. Nosedive was good, and actually an arguably "good" ending. The character was changed for the better through her suffering.

You're making his point.

White Christmas should be its own movie.
It's like an hour and 15 minutes and stands out so far ahead of every single other episode of BM.
I watched White Christmas 3 times in the same week showing it to other people. It's that good IMO

By that logic, all the other episodes are badly written for only showing the negative consequences of technology, and not offering a balanced appraisal. In order for there to be a moral/ ethical dilemma, there actually has to be a conflict between two opposing positions. The position can't just be "technology is bad" or it's no less shallow. The fact that you've highlighted the "bits and pieces" suggests that the show is aware of how partial a paradise it is, and raised the flaws and failings deliberately, which mitigates but does not eliminate the positive impact of the technology. It seems to me, however, you prefer an exclusively negative or cynical appraisal of technology.

In either case, all Black Mirror episodes focus on the effect of technology on our identities, relationships and social lives, and many are stories about love, if not conventional love stories. Entire History of You shows the relationship of two lovers disintegrating because something as private and intimate as memory itself has become something we consume. In San Junipero, two people are enabled to connect on a personal level in a virtual space, unencumbered by age or disability or all the limitations of the flesh. Is one deeper than the other because it portrays a dysfunctional relationship rather than a functional one? I feel like your arguments rely on a fairly facile position, which is that "dark" or "negative" is the same as "deep", while positive is the same as "shallow" - something which is itself a fairly shallow and juvenile argument. That San Junipero shows people falling in, rather than out of love, doesn't make it more shallow than the reverse.

gugu

The premise behind the episode was fascinating to me. Using VR of some sort to help with therapy for people who are terminally ill or dying, being able to live out their childhoods and primes of their lives in eras they grew up in.

Instinct doesn't have to be intellectualised though as meaning. Lots of animals also abandon their children the second they achieve independence, and view them as competitors and rivals. Lots of animals lack a maternal instinct entirely and reject or abandon their young.

This guy has already rebutted your points pretty effectively, but to add, real life also has bills and taxes and direct debit payments and deadlines and work and chores and pointless, petty frustrations and annoyances as well as genuine deprivation and anguish, it has death, disease, poverty, pollution and famine. I don't know how much or how little you've experienced of "real life", but to me, one of the things that gives us most meaning is our social lives, our relationships and connections with other people. San Junipero is founded on that ideal - it's a community, built on shared, communal experiences like singing, dancing, celebrating, et cetera. To enjoy the opportunity to experience new bonds, to give and receive love and affection, to feel joy and exhiliration again, is not a cheap or petty thing. In either case, San Junipero is not positioned as a replacement for life, but a revisitation of youth, which is why Gugu's character is so reluctant to commit to it - she's already had those experiences, whereas Mackenzie's character hasn't. It is very much an after-life rather than a paradise, a place to retire to when you're struggles are done, when you've already endured the aches and pains and bereavements of real life.

It's called nostalgia therapy, and existing recent VR experiments with it IRL are what inspired Brooker to write the episode

She seriously looks like a tranny in these pics

>lol if i say everything is shit im never wrong

perfect summation, it literally could not lose

you're not kidding
when I first watched it I thought that was going to be part of the twist
mackenziedavisfan.tumblr.com/post/165462845323/mackenzie-davis-and-gugu-mbatha-raw-in-the-press

of course it would be the worst black mirror episode of the entire series.

there are so many better episodes than this one.
all the emmys I felt they gave out prizes to enforce the SJW agenda, feminism and LGBT above all.
I hate how fucking tv prizes are now political, now if a series wants critical success it has to talk about single mothers or lesbian or abused girls, this is so stupid.