I know no one here watches this but im going to talk about it anyway

I know no one here watches this but im going to talk about it anyway.

Was this the worst series finale ever? Holy shit it was bad

The master literally said last episode it would be foolish for him to fight Quinlan in person so long as they have the nuke. Why would he even need to fight him at all? The virus has already infected a huge percentage of the world population, he could have just hung out in fucking China or something for a while there was no reason to be staying in New York for so long.

Then for some reason this episode he decides hes going to bring a small group of minions with no plan underground to single handedly fight Quinlan because ????

Im kinda mad I spent so much time watching this shit

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x26p59i
youtube.com/watch?v=FRHc3v4tSsk
youtube.com/watch?v=eMoX828JBiA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The books go downhill too.

Watching the finale too. It was fun whilst it lasted.

the finale was mediocre

I wished for a better ending for quinlan

It was worse than mediocre.

It was downright lazy and almost insulting

The only thing I liked about the series was how Palmer became The Master, it makes more sense thematically imo.

I dont understand how they could fuck up this premise.
Theres like a million ways they could have made it interesting.

Not much happens besides trying to kill the master and failing 5 or 6 times and then finally killing him with a nuke.

I'm disappointed they decided to completely leave out the angels, the only reason for the Lumen to matter was the bizarre origins and lore behind the Master and Ancients.
>spend a couple seasons and DECADES in-universe tracking down a mysterious book
>lol whatever let's just lure him underground and set off a nuke, and not even have to set things up in a specific way like in the source material
Their "master worm" OC was also questionable. There was literally no reason they couldn't just kill maim the Master's current body, catch the master worm, and put it in a jar or some shit until they figured out how to destroy it. He was completely incapable of supplementing and commanding his brood until he had sufficient time to corrupt a new body's brain stem, they were dumb as insects in the interum period just like after he died.
That was a nice touch and ironic wish corruption for someone who sold out the world for immortality and got it in spades. All the more poignant with the (show OC?) of his entire life and fight against death being spite against his father. One of the things the show improved upon.

There are certain places where the book was more rational or logical than the show which makes you wonder why they changed the show to intentionally make it retarded

Like in the book the Internet was disabled by Palmer having several of his own ISP holdings shut down, then sending in saboteurs dressed as repair workers to destroy other key junction boxes around the state, while on the show the Internet is literally shut down by a hot chick uploading "kill the Internet.exe" on her Macbook Pro in a Starbucks

And in the book the Master has no choice but to chase the nuke because they're going to destroy the original soil he spawned from, which would also kill him, so his final mistake (pic related) makes a lot more sense plus has no bullshit "evil kid redemption" note

Oh god, the Lumen. Completely worthless in the end, what a waste.

Quinn kind of dies like a bitch in every version, I guess it's some kind of intentional trope

This show went to shit so hard. This final season I've been watching it just so I can say I finished it.

>dropped the show shortly into season 2

Honestly should have dropped it at the S1 finale. It was obvious from early on that this shit was going to be trite

I just wanted it because I liked Quinlan and the rat catcher guy

They wanted to wrap this series up as quickly as possible.

I can let a lot of things slide, but the thing that annoyed me most was the Lumen getting built up for 3 seasons and then literally nothing happens with it.

The show is garbage for cutting the talking dog subplot

This show is like a friend who always has weed. It starts quite nice but after some time you realize what an idiot that guy is.

>The show is garbage for cutting the talking dog subplot
Talking dog?

>Lumen
I_ripped_it_apart

Thank fuck it's over.

>spends 3 seasons protecting the lumen
>rips it up in a delirious state in the process of turning into a stragoi

I mean come on, the Master wanted the book so badly because it apparently it held the secret to defeating him. But a nuke works too kekekekek

Thought it started interesting, but it got kinda meh

>Why would he even need to fight him at all?

In the book/comic they didn't need to fight him directly (however he was still there at the site because reasons).

Yeah, that was a huge cope out.

The big secret contained in the Lumen was that you could only kill the master if you destroyed a sacred spot where the worm originated (an offshot of the "vampires need to sleep in soil from their grave" lore). Turns out the master knew where all these sites were located, and over decades had Palmer build nuclear plants located above the sites that belong to the original masters. Then had them all fail and go off, to create the eternal night and get rid of the other masters at once. So Eph, Fet, Setrakian, Quinlan, Nora et al discover the secret place and take the nuke there. Master shows up with Zach to stop them.

An insane astronaut trapped in space hallucinates a dog telling her to crash her space station into Earth or something like that, it pierces the radioactive cloud and temporarily lets a beacon of sunlight through that scorches a bunch of strigoi and looks like divine intervention. I think it was when they were saving Nora from a blood farm? (She lived through the series, as did Eph's boss who became a big wig at the blood farms instead of that random Indian guy.)

So do the strigoi take over the world? I stopped watching around when the annoying kid's mom got turned into a blind strigoi or something.

>The big secret contained in the Lumen was that you could only kill the master if you destroyed a sacred spot where the worm originated (an offshot of the "vampires need to sleep in soil from their grave" lore). Turns out the master knew where all these sites were located, and over decades had Palmer build nuclear plants located above the sites that belong to the original masters. Then had them all fail and go off, to create the eternal night and get rid of the other masters at once. So Eph, Fet, Setrakian, Quinlan, Nora et al discover the secret place and take the nuke there. Master shows up with Zach to stop them.
That's pretty cool

I hoped he'd behead the master with his sword, give Fet a manly hug and tell him he was his first and only 'real' friend.
Then he'd die with a smile on his face.

A nuclear explosion and the retaliation it triggers causes a nuclear winter which blocks out the sun and let's the strigoi roam freely, they overwhelm the last remnants of human resistance and take over. This is mostly timeskipped over between seasons, with the last thing you see being the first nuclear explosion go off and then it picks up several months later. The Master sort of establishes martial law where everyone works and donates blood for food and housing (and Eichhorst runs a special breeding program for a personal supply of B+ baby blood which he enjoys like a fine vintage of wine), strigoi are stationed at every corner and rooftop as guards and sentries and don't actually drain anyone because their nests get regular blood truck deliveries. Unless they're rebels, because being turned will give their memories and information to the Master. There are blood farms where dissidents and slackers are sent to be drained for the blood trucks, but it doesn't seem like the Master plans on Holocausting all humans because he wants to still have something to rule over.

i_forgot_about_the_lumen__in_one_of_my_speech_pauses___then_i_ripped_it_apart

This was a real piece of crap season.
It's apparent that Del Toro stopped giving a fuck after season 1.

Nah, you forget that LUMEN literally GOT FUCKING *MADE IRRELEVANT* when the Professor says the "lumen says destroy his helpers :DDD"

It's fucking hilarious actually, spend 100 years of chasing-reading this crap with help of juice and then you realize the book fucking says "dude take down his generals :DDD" which was just two people, the indian and kikehorst

Rushed to the end worse than Black Sails

I thought it was a good finale for the show.

it was too rushed

what else could they do? FX cut their budget and the amount of episodes.

yeah the masters actions in the finale made no sense at all. It really was mind boggling how much the writers just shat the bed. The entire series has been the master hiding in safety and letting his minions do his dirty work for him. But the one time he decides to switch up his strategy is when he knows they have a nuke?

Also the fact that Zack was sided with the master for like a season and a half and hated his dad for longer than that, just decides to kill the master out of nowhere when his dad gets the power? fucking what?

The 'final' battle lasted 10 minutes or less, they could have at least used the whole 45 minutes for it

Damn, that makes so much more sense than the shit we were served last night.

None of their ways of killing him were anything new they found from the lumen. it was completely useless. They already knew that the master didn't like silver, so trapping him in a coffin coated in silver could have been their plan from day one, instead of the end of season 3.

It was a great episode and Sup Forums doesnt like it because theyre contrarian fags.

I think people gave the Master's look too much shit in this scene. The closeups were a bad idea, they gave you a poor conception of their size in scale with his hulking body.

Why'd he have Tyrone lips though?

yeah I agree. That pic is funny though. Probably just a bad angle to do a closeup of. First master was cool as hell, his giant body also made him way more imposing. The rock star master was gay as fug though. Palmer was great as well, but first master is still by far the best

Their rationale was that he had a snake-like mouth with a dislocating jaw to accommodate his massive proboscis. I'd imagine they also considered the fact that the lip muscles being able to expand farther meant they'd be still be bigger when contracted. Del Toro's involvement was when this series had the most potential, he really had that special something that briefly brought it all together.

Making all 45 minutes be the battles goes directly against a smaller budget

Took me a minute to find the damn thing but here's an interesting video on The Master. You can see how they were originally going to show you a glimpse of him much earlier in the first episode where he smashes that guy with the full prosthetics and everything, but for some reason they decided to cut it and black out his face even though it looked better than it did in the full reveal.

dailymotion.com/video/x26p59i

He looks fantastic just standing around on set, so they made some mistakes with the shots they chose.

I've watched since season 1, I saw the decline happen the last couple years and I'm glad it's over and done. Moreover, I'm glad Ef and Zach died in the explosion. At least Zach died, I just repeat that to myself over and over again and it helps

the practical effects on this show really were pretty top notch. something about the masters neck pussy is just creepy as hell

>he's glad Ef died
fuck you, I liked Ef

>that short while where Sup Forums's attention span for this show coasted by on using Eph as an CIA expy no matter how inapproriate it was
I miss season 1.

He was good the first few seasons, i'll give you that. Too much "ZACH UR MUH SON" shit the last season imo. I'd say 90% of my hate is directed toward Zach and maybe 10% goes to ef for enabling his little bitch ass

4/10 meh
Kid blowing up the bomb was a nice touch at the end, cant be mad

>tfw we never got to see Zach's body evaporate

I lost a lot of interest after the season 1 finale where they successfully got to the master, exposed him to sunlight, and he didn't die. I don't care he was mortally wounded because he was able to live for a long ass time afterward before being able to cheaply find a new host. It's just lazy writing, worse than if he was wearing sunscreen like they did in Blade. They should of just stuck with the unoriginal trope of them coming close but ultimately failing in their plan to expose the master to sunlight instead of having them succeed and then moving the goal posts

how'd the book end?

The opening resolution to 409's cliffhanger and the final battle were both super rushed, yet holy shit did the Fet/Dutch romance shit draaaaaaaaaaaag. Terrible allocation of time that I can only assume is budget related.

The first thing you need to know is how it begins, because the show didn't cover this at all. 7,000 years ago, the angels Michael, Gabriel and Azrael are sent to judge Sodom. Azrael, on his first visit to Earth, goes mad from the debauchery and eats a human being, then bites a chunk out of Michael. For his crimes, he is cut into seven pieces and the pieces are cast out across the earth.

In time, each piece rots away and the worms spawned from it become an Ancient One. The Master is the piece that contained his head and his throat, the hungriest and most ambitious portion. The only way to kill an Ancient One is to nuke the patch of dirt where it originally spawned.

Setrakian and Eichorst kill each other, the show got this scene closest except the book had no tearful final conversation with Setrakian and his friends. Then the rest of the group travel to a small island in the Great Lakes where The Master first appeared, carrying the nuke and the ashes of the other Ancients. Gus is shot and killed by a group of Stoneheart soldiers in a helicopter, Quinlan fights and loses a duel with the Master, and Zach, who rowed the Master's boat to the island, never has a redemption moment - but Ephraim still shouts that he loves him as he hits the detonator.

Oh, and one of the more impressive sight gags that I wish had been in the show, after Quinlan died and Ephraim was stuck in a fight he had zero chance of winning, he stabs himself in the neck and sprays his blood all over the Master's face. This causes the Master's own worms to go crazy and blind him long enough for Ephraim to break out of his grasp and hit the button.

Then things get extra retarded because the essence of the dead Ancients reforms into Azrael, and Michael and Gabriel descend and bring him back to Heaven with them. Yeah, in spite of the fact that his components have done zero good and has basically murdered half the human race over the last seven millennia.

Nora and Fet live happily ever after. By the way, Dutch never existed and Nora was the female lead from the entire series, including a subplot where she is rescued from a blood farm. Oh and at the end it's Nora that kills Kelly in a duel - they actually completely reversed this in the show

it's a shame tv ruined it.

Sounds nice and better in many points
>tfw ywn see the angels plot
>tfw Quinlan gave some of the best vampire fight scene kino in previous appearances and in the final battle he did nothing but embarrass himself

I thought the history and lore of the ancients and the master was the best part of the show. Like when the last giant master got his power from that cave in poland or wherever. and the other master from the roman era. Wish they would have explored that a little more

I haven't read the book, but I'd rather have whatever retarded angels ending than that.
>waste so much time on the Lumen for nothing
>literally every character is retarded

This whole final season was a trainwreck.

still the best scene in the show
youtube.com/watch?v=FRHc3v4tSsk

>By the way, Dutch never existed
Book wins

God, watching this again makes the fight scenes in the finale so much more embarrassing

>blind him long enough for Ephraim to break out of his grasp and hit the button.
>Then things get extra retarded because the essence of the dead Ancients reforms into Azrael, and Michael and Gabriel descend and bring him back to Heaven with them

Wait, so the nuke didn't actually kill him?

I don't understand.

Well it killed him as surely as it killed the other Ancients but the act of the seven all being vaporized causes them to reform in their original shared body

Which then fucks off back to Heaven, never to be seen again

Probably something about the nuke killing the corrupted parts of Azrael?

Nukes are partially effective against heavenly beings then?

I like this. War on God when?

i stopped watching this shit after season 1 lmao i could not handle that kid getting a new actor

>eah, in spite of the fact that his components have done zero good and has basically murdered half the human race over the last seven millennia.

That could easily be improved if he was dragged to hell instead

I didn't mind it. Ended on a happy note and seemed to tie up most of the loose ends. That's already better than most shows.

>mfw it was still better than the book ending

>downright lazy and almost insulting
that pretty much summarizes the whole show

FX is notorious for shitty series finales. Justified and The Shield are the only two shows I can think of that had a great series finale for the Network

Quinlan was the only good character aside from Eichorst and Quinlan had the most unsatisfying ending

>favorite characters are eichorst and setrakian
>both die in the same fucking episode
>will to watch the remaining episodes drops to nothing

apparently theyre shit too so i guess i dodged a bullet?
my wild guess for how it ends was "the power of love convinces a half-converted somebody to blow up the nuke" or some crap because the start of the show had the whole "the power of love guides them back to their homes" thing

Dude, you fucked up OP, I loved the first 2 episodes and that's it. The pilot was so fucking intense and great, and then it came downhill from there. I watched 2 seasons then I realized its not worth the time, they killed OG quinlan and i was like 'wtf'.

>my wild guess for how it ends was "the power of love convinces a half-converted somebody to blow up the nuke" or some crap because the start of the show had the whole "the power of love guides them back to their homes" thing
yes

This is true. Pretty sad it was just glossed over. I fucking hated that stupid kid Zack, if I was his father I would have already disowned him.

fuck that is the angels plot?

it sounds awesome, and all we got was,
>muh dutch

best question to ask about the show.....WHO IS MOST TO BLAME FOR THE SPREAD OF SEGOIS AND THE MASTER?
>Ef, four eyes and Nora for allowing the plane victims to get off board
>Gus for bringing the masters tomb
>Palmer for making a deal with the master
>Dutch for haxxoring the internet
>Zack for setting off Nuke

It just makes me wonder why the master didn't just curb stomp Quinlan every time he tried to catch him.

palmer and zack both they new what was happening but gave 2 shits the others were tricked and dident know what was really going on

if a tough call. im looking at it through a "if they didnt do it, somebody else could have" lens. gus, palmer and dutch were replaceable. somebody else could have been paid to do what they did. the doctor crew was uninformed so its hard to blame them. zack was brainwashed so its hard to blame him too

>Dutch never existed
superior fiction
what was her point anyway besides getting progressive points due muh lesbo girlfriend?

least blame
>gus
>dutch
middle
>eph, samwise gamgee, nora (dont really remember why they let them off the plane though)
most blame
>palmer
>zack

>Gus for bringing the masters tomb
>Palmer for making a deal with the master
>Dutch for haxxoring the internet
>Zack for setting off Nuke
Getting the passengers off the plane is typical procedure, which indirectly helped the seogis. Everything else directly responsible and their cations were directly effected by the Master.

>>eph, samwise gamgee, nora (dont really remember why they let them off the plane though)
they were still alive but in a coma like state so ran medical tests on them

>implying Pineapple flavored Dutch wasn't worth it

why did the airplane patients took weeks to convert and then season 2 and onwards it only took a few hours?

I'm thinking it's because the master was stronger by the time season 2 started. Also, didn't it only take like 2 days for them to convert? most of season 1 took place within a day

So the angels just let him fuck up the entire planet?

The master could not have succeeded without Palmer, even more so in the books

So did Zach break off a piece with the strigoyim maid or did he die a virgin?

only Quinlan can enjoy TRUE ROMAN BREAD, FOR TRUE ROMANS
youtube.com/watch?v=eMoX828JBiA

The show really lost something when Palmer died.

based on that explosion they really didn't need a nuke and could've just used a shitload of dynamite again

stopped watching after season 2; do want see zach spolded tho

They don't even show it in the series, just the flash and rumble