Should kids movies be strictly kids movies or should they have themes that are considered more adult?

Should kids movies be strictly kids movies or should they have themes that are considered more adult?

>or should they have themes that are considered more adult?

That should be put towards animated movies made towards an older audience so things don't get watered down.

"Adult themes" are by definition themes that are not marketed towards children.
If you were to include them in a children's work, they would no longer be adult themes.

You're so wrong. Just because something is present in a kids movie doesn't mean that it's marketed towards children. 90% of kids didn't know Frollo was lusting after Esmeralda and his Christian teachings were causing an inner conflict. That requires more life experience.

Your definition is so incredibly simple that it's just stupid.

What SHOULD happen is the population at large should realize that unless you actively keep them as stupid as you possibly can, children are smarter and more resourceful than most people realize, and are able to understand the basic gist of more adult themes even if the particulars go over their heads.

>kids movie
>90% of kids didn't get it
Your definition is contradictory.

Also, I think you're underestimating children a bit. True, they don't fully understand Frollo's motivations at first, but after watching the Hunchback a couple times and correlating the things that happen in it with with other things they know, they start getting it.
Kids are good at learning. They're not stupid, they just lack experience. Once a theme shows up in enough stories, they'll pick it up.
That's why I said "adult themes" are whatever you don't give to kids. If you did, they would start to understand it. There's no limitation on what children can see, only on what society considers appropriate to show them.

Jesus christ you yanks have some weird problems.

Stories are STORIES! The richer they are, the better, to more there is to glean from them, for every age bracket.
We see what we understand, and as we grow, we understand more. This way some stories can become classics and we can read them again as we get older and (hopefully) wiser.

what we think of as "kids" movies are better thought of as "G" movies, for general audiences, meaning that while you may have a specific age group in mind, it should be welcoming for anyone to walk in watch it. Adult themes can be present in kids movies, since without sex or violence, you can present them in a more honest and genuine light, and when you take the time to explain certain concepts to kids, you by extension, make it easier for older audiences to grasp it as well. if a 10-year old can be made aware of racial and social issues plaguing a city using funny animals (zootopia) then so to can an adult, who may better appreciate the lesson

I'm a yank and I agree with this.

Should a portion of the population be spoon-fed a dumbed-down oversimplified worldview that doesn't reflect reality?
I don't know, given the irrationality of some adults that you've encountered in your life, isn't creating a false worldview for the sake of "comforting" the childish detrimental to society as a whole?

They asked Terry Pratchett once what difference there is when he's writing for kids vs when he's writing for adults. He said there is none. He's just more aware of where the boundaries are.

A movie that only appeals to children does not seem like a good proposition. Adults won't go see it and they're less likely to take their kids see it, at least if they have other options (if you have to schedule a movie, pack everyone into a car, find a parking spot, and pay for the tickets, food and drink, you're going to want a movie that will entertain you too).

Children don't have to understand everything, and it's better to challenge them than to have a dumbed down and bubble wrapped movie.

That's probably why Hollywood will never adapt anything of his

The next Disney film by John Musker and Ron Clements was supposed to be a Mort adaptation. They just couldn't get the rights, so they made Moana instead. Timely fun fact!

The latter

Osmosis Jones did a great job of doing this

Yeah, animatrix is totally something kids need to watch

I don't know, teaching children that a judicatory of massive crimson enrobed men whose physical being is made of wholly of hate, lust and Christian Values will stand in judgment of them every time they touch themselves might be the wrong sort of message we want to send.

Not really since movies are ENTERTAINMENT. Comfort should be a given when entertained. That being said, Sup Forums lashes out every time shows and comics push the reality of liberalism in their face since they can't handle the same reality the rest of the world does

>They just couldn't get the rights
Goddammmit. Mort is one of my favorites too.

What make a great kid movie is when it is able to communicate adult issue in way they can understand.

So, yes.

This whole dichotomy of kid movie/adult movie is really limiting. Some of the most mature movies in the world have been G-rated, while some of the most immature things ever conceived were given an R.

In the 'old days' it was family movies, as there was something for everyone to enjoy and stay interested, after all the parents are there too. As a consequence there was generally a deeper meaning or lesson to learn or later appreciate, something to help children to grow... but these days?

The art of storytelling and writing in general seem to be lost.

Don't be an idiot.

Underrated post

I think the point of it was to show how bad this kind of mentality can lead you to.

Make stupid statements, get stupid responses

Not really.

Not him, but you are the only one who made a stupid statement.

Not him but you don't seem to understand how context works

Silly user, cartoons are for kids

absolutely really.

Shut up, you donkey-raping shit-eater.

dompi babi sheedeeder?

From an economic standpoint, isn't it a good idea to make adult aimed movies that just so happen to be enjoyable for kids as well?

It's not like kids have money they can spend, but plenty of adults have kids to tote around. That they don't necessarily want to sit through an hour an a half of mindless 'kid aimed' drivel for the kids will lose interest in halfway through anyway.

No because that keeps the adult happy and not the kid. Although I did see a grandma and her granddaughter get tickets for Sausage Party because granny said it looked like a cartoon. I almost wanted to stop her too but old people gonna old

>No because that keeps the adult happy and not the kid.
Except there is already a long history of movies enjoyable by kids and their parents.

And they're all aimed at kids

Kids movies shouldn't be full of blood and tits and foul language, but so long as the actual visual content and the dialogue stay within PG guidelines, I don't see why they can't have more "adult" themes. All Dogs Go to Heaven is about a damn dog dying, and I don't see anyone rushing to have it retroactively proclaimed PG-13. Zootopia is about racism/bigotry, and that one got a PG rating, too.

All you gotta do is put the adult themes in terms that a kid can understand, really. Think "Explain Like I'm 5", but for storytelling.

>Should a portion of the population be spoon-fed a dumbed-down oversimplified worldview that doesn't reflect reality?

Well, we vote conservatives into political office, so...

Any kid older than 9 realized Frollo wanted to bang the gypsy and felt bad about it because the bible says it's bad
They're probably dealing with the same feelings about fapping

>implying anyone in their twenties right now didn't see the Matrix until they were 18

Japs get away with that sort of shit all the time and American kids eat it up.

If you've made a kids' movie that can not be enjoyed by adults you haven't made a kids' movie, you've just made a bad movie.

It should be adult stuff taught to kids in a way they would understand/find entertaining.

Adult stuff that is maturity, responsibility and other boring shit. Not edgy shit like rape, Zack.

But liberals are completely in touch with reality, surely.

I for one think that recent kids movies have been going a little too hard with all the "subtle" adult jokes and themes. There's no sin in keeping things for kids.

This.
Besides, movies like Sausage Party might as well be kid's movies with how mature they are.

Disregard OP and his faggotry. Let's discuss something a bit more fun.
What is your favorite Disney song? Can be from a Pixar movie or the good ol' days.
>My vote is for OP's pic

This, you don't have to dumb things down or anything. Kids can get it

Pretty much.

Dragon Quest IV has all the elements of a good story. At least the NES version did. Girl is kidnapped, beaten to death, and her boyfriend becomes a demon lord out of revenge. In the meantime entire towns are wiped out by war or plague (you get to watch Aktemto slowly die over the course of a few years until it's nothing but a poisonous ruin), women are kidnapped and fed to monsters, Not kiddy at all. 5 year old me understood it just fine.

now that's a reaction video I would love to see

This guy gets it.

Don't treat kids like retards, don't just try to entertain them with flashy colours, loud noises and perfect happy endings. Put real life themes, emotions and conflicts into the work and have characters act like real people trying to cope with a world that can be dark and threatening at times. You don't need sex and gore to do this, and films that need to rely on those to seem 'adult' probably aren't very good. The best movies for kids are ones that overcome the division 'adult themes' vs 'children's themes', and just reflect what it means to be human, and even if the setting is fantastical and unrealistic it should reflect the danger, beauty and complexity of reality. Stuff like Notre Dame, the Secret of Kells and the average Ghibli film get this right.

The same goes for tv shows (pic very related) and pretty much any other medium.

I'm sure the poster you replied to was talking more about stuff like Dark Crystal. Kids should be spared gore and sex, but that doesn't mean that themes like death should never appear.

Parents today are shit. They want their kids to go through a childhood as uneventful as possible because childhood is seen as just a phase where you're useless / in the works / dumb / easily traumatized so they want you to get past that phase ASAP.

This way you will grow without any kind of moral obstacle preventing you from valuing money over everything else like all successful people do.