A Ghost Story

What did you guys think?

I enjoyed it quite a bit myself.

Only thing I didn't like was the music at the end.

Otherwise, ghostkino

Though now I'm wondering, was it a different section from the song they were listening to early in the movie? If so then maybe it's fitting

What was on the lettter?

If you really need to know

Lowery believes that it’s not as important as the fact that he finally got to read it: “We thought about whether or not we should show it, but it doesn’t matter as much as just knowing that he got it. Nothing written there would mean anything to the audience at that point, and it would just complicate that moment — you’d see something, process it, and then wonder what it means.”

But that doesn’t mean the paper was blank. On set that day, Lowery explains that the script didn’t dictate what was written on the paper, mostly because he didn’t even know what it should say, so he asked Rooney Mara to write something that “felt personal and meaningful to her, the movie and her character.”

What she wrote on that paper remained in the house up until it was actually demolished for the movie, and no one got to read it before then. For Mara’s part, she says she doesn’t remember what it says, and even if she did, she likely wouldn’t say. Not even Casey Affleck knows because the piece of paper used for when he retrieves it was a completely different piece.

“None of us know what it said — I looked at the footage and you can’t see it, and Rooney says she doesn’t remember. I’m sure she knows and isn’t gonna say. And Casey has no idea, with the sheet he could barely see through,” laughs Lowery. “But it doesn’t matter. It could be something completely goofy. We always joked that it just says, ‘Boo.’”

Was thinking something along those lines.

It made me sad

maudlin garbage

Affleck plays similar role to that in Manchester by the sea xD anyone find that ironic and funny?

just saw it
solid film though I'd like it more if it spent more time with Casey&Rooney, not jumping different time periods later on
it felt a little tonally inconsistent because of that
also the "we're all gonna die" speech was out of place imho

>also the "we're all gonna die" speech was out of place imho

And a little cringeworthy too

literally the point

why makes you think so?
what the guy was saying wasn't outlandish and it did tie into the theme of the film, I only have problems with how plainly it was put and the delivery
"although I guess it could be self-aware as it is literally a DROPPED moment

yeah it was the song that he made for her

it made perfect sense. Not only for the sake of movie, but for the sake, i don't know, party realism? Speeches like that in a situation like that are something i've seen many times.

Knew you fags would like this trash film

is there a rip out already?

>still no webm of the pie scene

come on lads

That's over 4 minutes long.

complete and absolute kino

I kinda thought they would reveal that some of the longish takes at the start (like Roon taking out the trash, or when we're shown the accident) was ghost looking at it, thus the unbroken gaze.

Yes otherwise there'd be no thread

>people suddenly start discussing a movie that's been out for a month or two

yeah, safe sign there's a rip out

I liked it desu nice and slow but very atmospheric.

what did she write in the note?

feh. lazy unimaginative untalented writer can't think of what to write on letter so makes "it's not important" excuses and makes someone else write the letter.

"I love BBC"

why did they choose this aspect ratio?

see

I thought the film was going to make M the dying person. Maybe I read too much into her falling over the piano and the other ghost talking to him.

" :^) "

was the trailer honest and indicated that this is not a ghost horror but a bawww chick flick?

Looks like a picture. A picture is a memory of things past. Ties into the film's themes of memories I guess.

it's neither

It's not horror. And it might be a good watch with the missus, but it's not really a chick flick.

That scene at the beginning of them kissing each other on the bed is geniunely the best cuddle scene ever filmed. It was done so well and authentic. Made me miss what I once had.

I thought it was supposed to resemble Super 8mm film

old home movies were shot on Super 8

and this movie shows a home getting old

see, it's like pottery

Someone explain wtf I just watched.
Faggot

Fuck off brainlet

>also the "we're all gonna die" speech was out of place imho

It made sense when you realize that everyone is going to go and the earth will disappear and all that crap, and even then CaseyGhost might still be around to witness it all in the same way he saw his house being inhabited by various people, then demolished, etc.

But yeah, it feels like the movie stops for a moment so we can hear this guy rant. Feels a little off.

Normie piece of shit. I haven't even been kissed (by a non prostitute) you degenerate

this is by the same director as PETE'S DRAGON. wtf.

is rooner the new indie darling lads

Were there three sisters living in the same house?

I LOVE YOU CASEY AFFLECK

they're clones to be exact

I really enjoyed it. Thought it had excellent vision and had me the right kind of emotional that made me really enjoy the film. I don't know how I can say this, either, but it Casey Affleck's acting - even beneath a bedsheet - is excellent. Somehow with his body language, he really pulls off the wandering, lost spirit well.

Lovely camera work, too. I like it when filmmakers experiment with aspect ratio. This felt like a polaroid - a snapshot of a life - and it works super well.

The only part of the movie I hated was the fucking shot of Rooney Mara eating pie on the kitchen floor. Like, yes, a necessary shot and yes, it should be a longer shot... but the fact that it lasts for like 20 fucking minutes is ridiculous.

All in all, though, great film. Touching.

why the fuck would you kiss a prostitute?
those lips were probably giving a rimjob to a fat 65 year old man

I loved it until the ending. The movie keeps getting bigger and more mysterious while asking these fundamentally unknowable questions about time and existence, only for to have everything solved because he reads the paper. It was a massive anticlimax to me, too simple an answer for what the film is about

The other ghost collapsing scared the shit out of me on a deep level

Was it a loop? Time travel?What was it?
Also what's the deal with the note? Also who's 'they'?

I dont think about it desu and who's to say the whore that you're going out with hasn't done the same to some chad

ITT girls and campgay imma-girl-trapped-in-manbody

>only for to have everything solved because he reads the paper.
What if the paper was empty? What if he decided to go into eternal oblivion because the answer was too depressing for him to bear? The other Ghost left in despair. Maybe he did too?

>The other ghost collapsing scared the shit out of me on a deep level
It just made me unbearably sad. Like, it touched on my deep fucking fear of never fulfilling my purpose, that, ultimately, I may never do what I was put on this earth to do, and to see that actually happen to someone else (even a fictional character) made me cry like a bitch.

>Was it a loop?
no

>Time travel?
yes
>What was it?
Time skip

>also what's the deal with the note?
its the anchor that holds the ghost

>Also who's 'they'?
jews

I would disagree about the ending being bad, but I would agree with your interpretation. The ending does say "the answer to all the complexities of life, existence, the universe, and afterlife is rather simple - love" is poetic and beautiful, I think. It's why I liked Interstellar, too (in a different way). No, it's not super deep or complex and doesn't go into string theory or quantum mechanics, but it speaks more to the human soul than that stuff does. At least, it does if you're not an autist

I was pretty good. Except the screening I saw had only two other people in it, and they were two obese Latino frat boys who talked at regular volume the ENTIRE film. I told the staff around the 30 minute mark, and they said "we can't legally tell people to stop talking" and so it was a marred experience.

They also laughed any time ghost Casey was on screen. I guarantee you they thought it was going to be a horror film.

It's a loop, I think. Him jumping off the tower and waking up in pioneer times.

Got pretty sad at the "I'm waiting for someone. Who? I can't remember". Who knows for how long that ghost has been waiting to the point where it has forgotten who it even waited for.

Now that I think about it, the little girl who was killed does leave a little note beneath the rock. Was the ghost looking for that note on that spot?

jdimsa

No way those people are acting it at this point. The nose rub is too intimate for that.

yeah, i was getting a very 2001esque vibe when it was going back in time, but when it back to the house it kinda felt flat

>you will never have this

>The ending does say "the answer to all the complexities of life, existence, the universe, and afterlife is rather simple - love" is poetic and beautiful, I think. It's why I liked Interstellar, too (in a different way). No, it's not super deep or complex and doesn't go into string theory or quantum mechanics, but it speaks more to the human soul than that stuff does. At least, it does if you're not an autist

I would agree with all of that too, but the execution to me was too conventional. He literally watches himself make his mistakes from life to death then corrects them in the simplest way like it's A Christmas Carol, or It's a Wonderful Life, or Groundhog Day. Which isn't bad in itself but that's obviously a take on the ghost story that has been done a lot in popular culture.

And not a mark against the film, but I saw this right after episode 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return, so I was thinking a lot about that episode, and it's references to 2001, and was looking for more abstract existentialist stuff out of this film too. I may have just been expecting something the film wasn't but for a while it seemed to toe that line of moving outside time and space.

this scared the shit out of me

Someone gonna tell her she's an actress? And the camera is rolling?
I think we found someone who can rival jlaw. I've seen rooney in many things ajd she's so garbage. Like she's on pills.

I would like to know what kind of pie it was and whether they shot several takes.

>I don't know how I can say this, either, but it Casey Affleck's acting - even beneath a bedsheet - is excellent

hmmm

>spends 2 minutes eating pie in one long uninterrupted shot
I hate it and love it. It was beautifully shot, by the aspect ratio was distracting. It was really well put together, but there are frequent scenes of nothing happening. The acting was great, but there was very little of it. It felt pretentious as hell at times, but at others it was a very heart-felt genuine atmospheric depiction of something classic in a new perspective.

>I don't know how I can say this, either, but it Casey Affleck's acting - even beneath a bedsheet - is excellent. Somehow with his body language, he really pulls off the wandering, lost spirit well.
This is exactly the sort of pretentious shit I'd expect out of a film school student or a hipster

your probably right user fuck man

i was legit upset