Aside from being a bit opinionated, why does Sup Forums give Nostalgia Critic such a hard time?

Aside from being a bit opinionated, why does Sup Forums give Nostalgia Critic such a hard time?

He's pretty alright as an entertainer in my book.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UvVvt-LN0_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I stopped watching when hia reviews became more annyoing sketch than a review

>$700,000

because he doesnt like what Sup Forums likes
and he still does the angry critic shtick into 2010s, although he did pretty much contribute to its popularity in the first place
in all honesty, i have no problem with him, i still find him entertaining, and while his reviews arent always meant to be real reviews, he often does drop really honest thoughts on movies, and he does give some good discourse on films on his not-movie videos

This is what happens when copyright laws become so tight that you can barely show any footage, I guess.

Because he's an incredibly obnoxious cunt and I want to punch him every time he opens his faggot mouth or makes another "funny" face.

Sup Forums gets pissed for him managing to get money over what they do for free - bitch about things. He looks like an alright guy

I enjoy the editorials more desu

>He's pretty alright as an entertainer in my book.
That's the problem. His past few years of videos are more focused on having retarded skits in them than actually reviewing what it is he's reviewing.

He's sometimes cringeworthy but I have no ill will against him. It's the same reason I don't dislike or think Pewdiepie should die. If I could be successful in this sense I would take the option just like them.

i dont hate his content, just his over acting and attempts at skits, his quality of public speaking is on par with that of a jr high kid

Well, among other things:
>gets 200k from his autistic fanbase to make demo reel
>his "dream project" is complete garbage, which even his autistic fans won't defend
>switches back to his usual shtick, but it's notably worse and filled with shitty sketches
>makes another completely awful fan-funded game show
>treats his employees like shit
>is altogether an unfunny douchebag

I really liked him when I was in junior high but his schtick got annoying to me long ago, his sketch bits were never even close to being as funny and well-made as the AVGN (for example, his stuff holds up), and as objective critiques a lot of them don't hold up either (he doesn't have the knowledge or research of, say, RLM). Same with a lot of Channel Awesome
I still watch The Cinema Snob and Todd in the Shadows though, they're as good as ever.

I find him to be not as funny as he used to be, although he still manages to get a good chuckle from me every now and then.

What really irks me are most of his editorials. Some, like the "Thank You for Smoking", are really good, but most of them features him talking about some topic and taking no real position, possibly not to alienate anyone.

> "Is X bad/wrong/problematic?"
> Yes but maybe no

Just take a damn stand and state your opinion, damn it.

>douchebag
Why?

well, he admits that there really ISNT an answer, and that the inherently subjective nature of film, means that you really do have to eyeball everything

>Same with a lot of Channel Awesome

The Dom is great. I love how passionate and honest he clearly is, managing to discriminate between a good movie and a good adaptation and also aknowledge his occational fuck-ups ("Starship Trooper was a satire!")

He seems like an decent person, he's just kind of naive and obnoxious and not particularly funny.
It's hard for me to take someone seriously when I'm almost positive I'm smarter than them
Probably referring to the character

His caustic critic schtick is fine. It's the overly long and often preachy sketches that are the problem.

He's always trying to go for the same "Both sides are wrong" thing South Park does, but he just comes off as not really knowing what he's talking about.

These days I much rather watch his honest reviews, where he just sits and talks about what he did or didn't like. He often makes some interesting remarks about movies that I usually miss.

And of course he's often completely wrong, which is entertaining too.

I can get behind that on some things, but he takes that stance on virtually every topic he talks about on his editorials.
It's too close to taking the safest and laziest position for my taste, and everytime I feel like he spent ten minutes saying everything and its opposite.

It's a dumb excuse, though

You don't need to depend on the footage of what's being reviewed so much. Look at RLM, or Siskel & Ebert reviews.

You know that guy in high school, the one that was an active member of the anime club, the one that used Japanese words in sentences despite only knowing the language from anime, the one who never quite escaped his Invader Zim phase and acted like saying shit like "WHALE CHEESE!" in an incredibly serious and forceful way was fucking hilarious?

That's who Doug Walker is. He is the kid that the other outcasts in school hated being around because he was just so god damn ANNOYING. But where most of these kids either kill themselves, find Tumblr and become trannies or just quietly fade into the fabric of general society (usually working in the dregs like being a manager at McDonalds), Doug got an Internet following from other "that kid" idiots. He got popular BECAUSE he was annoying, and so he never had to change. He grew in a hugbox and never understood what it meant to live in the real world. That's one of the reasons shit like Kickassia failed so fucking hard, it was a big enough project he had to go to the outside world to get assistance and he found out just how little he really knew.

he copies the style of more entertaining people who do the same thing but less awkward and cringey. He also goes for low hanging fruit like is any one really gonna argue with you that the Stallone Judge Dread or Battlefield earth are bad? More over do you need a 30 minute episode to make these points.

Isn't he a Jew?

I stopped watching his honest reviews when he bashed Interstellar. I can get not liking the story, but sentences like:

>it's science fiction, make the ice green or something

clearly show no understanding of hard scifi.

Obligatory post from Sup Forums

why does he insist on making sketches that are never funny? his editorials are pretty good because it's not DUDE SCREAMING LMAO and DUDE 10 MINUTE SKETCHES FOR ONE PREDICABLE PUNCHLINE LMAO. When he's just reviewing something and pulls it back he's fine. Some of my favorite videos from him are his disneycember stuff

Cont.

I don't know who that is, but he reminds me of the incomprehensible Psycho Fanboy columnist in Hero Illustrated, or Wizard, or whatever.

His late works kinda scream too much "HOW YA DOING FELLOW KIDS?"

Top kek.

first one i kind believe but that second one is bullshit.

From reviews to sketches in the guise of reviews to clickbait

I'm calling most of this bullshit, especially the parts about Joe and Malc dosing on coke.

RLM does lots of skits.

Granted, they are incredibly self-aware and sometimes self-deprecating skits.

>ranting because someone look and act nerdy
>on fucking Sup Forums of all places
Self-awareness,the unknown

Like his humor or not, I actually think he's a pretty damn respectable and nice guy in real life.

When he's out of character, you can tell he's still really opinionated, but he's just so good at presenting his opinion in a fair and mild-mannered way.

At least, MUCH better than his brother is at it. Rob always comes off as a douche.

You sure you aren't projecting, user?

He doesn't review things, he summarizes things and gives opinions on events that happened.

Like when the fuck are people going to realize that a critique is more than surface level complaints? Almost nobody on that website or affiliated with it understands things like theme, pacing or tone. They just bitch about what characters do instead of the structure or composition.

I think he considers himself an entertainer to his audience first and a critic second

I'm a fan, though most people on this board just talk shit about him. meh, their loss really.

i dont think they are, i get the same vibe and agree with

I like him so much better when he talks about something for a while. He'd be so much better without the screaming and the skits.

Not funny
Cringy skits and content
Terrible opinions/beliefs on movies/cartoons
SJWCuck
Horrible Boss
Horrible Fanbase

/thread

>NC review
>he sees a typo
>AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH *AUTISM SCREECHES*

He's pretty hit-or-miss, but I like him overall. And nobody pitches a comical screaming fit better. The opening of his Foodfight episode is one of the funniest things I ever saw.

>SJWCuck

Your opinion no longer holds any value.

I'm talking about people who call his skits "reviews."

>SJWCuck
Do you know how many times the Nostalgia Critic character either threatened to or have actually hit a woman on-screen?

>I actually think he's a pretty damn respectable and nice guy in real life.

lol no he's not

youtu.be/UvVvt-LN0_Q

Because he's a jackass, a lot of times his gags and jokes are just like....what? Like no, that's not funny

Or other times, they're ok until he drags them on like 30 seconds too long to the point that every review of his I find myself skipping ahead at least one part because he doesn't have a clue about comedic timing, or he uses a gag once and then tries really hard to force it into being a running gag

That's another thing, even when you watch his old reviews you can tell he tries really hard to create memes or be memetic and it just reeks of cluelessness and desperation

That being said, I do watch his videos and have for years and and I'm glad he puts them out, it's just that it fails at the same time so it's really easy to make fun of him

I have a fetish for large white women

The 'treating his employees like shit' part was apparently less his fault and more people that he hired for admin purposes being a dick to everyone else.

I generally get the feeling that Doug's a nice enough guy. He's just not a particularly good leader-type

Not a big enough data set. You could both be projecting

He does that. He sperged out on Jurassic World too, for not being basically a completely different genre of movie.

But like I said, It's still funny to see him loose it IRL.

I used to be a fan of his but time his recent content has been really undercooked. The same thing kind of happened to the AVGN, except James's stuff feels like it still has some of the original vibe. Doug's reviews have been trying desperately to remain relevant in the wake of other reviewers but it just falls flat on its face.

>15 minutes or more doing unfunny sketches
>No real effort in anything
>Pioneer of the whole critic/review stuff, never changed a thing, getting stumped by the new and improved ones
>Still doing amateurish stuff with a single hand cam, pen markers and one dollar costumes
>Constantly misses the point of the whole movie being reviewed
>Screams a LOT, to the point of being unbearable
>Host a site that is the home of autistic and unfunny reviewers across the globe

Reasons enough? RLM, Jontron, Cinemassacre, H3H3. Choose one. Hater or love them, all mentioned put WAY more effort than Doug and his gang.

Key word here is laziness.

I liked his older work and watched him frequently up until like 2012, then To Boldy Flee was the thing that made me really fucking hate him. I couldn't even finish it, it was so self indulgent with its meta story, humor and references that it made me realize how shallow NC's humor had become (or was), and that NC was kind of pretentious and had a fairly big, increasingly annoying and detrimental ego.

Even before that 3 hour long shitshow NC was in steady decline, and I didn't really watch his videos by the time 2012 began.

As much as I can admire someone for doing something they love, it stops when they get so far up their ass about their work, and I feel like NC missed the point of what made him popular. If he wanted to be more ambitious, he didn't need to shoehorn in skits after Demo Reel failed.

I liked his Wild Wild West review.

A lot. I was shocked at myself.

Wow, he really has aspergers doesn't he? That's the only explanation

>saying shit like "WHALE CHEESE!" in an incredibly serious and forceful way

Fuck you, if Batman did that it'd be hilarious

James was smart enough to make the nerd the main attraction and a side character at same time.

Yes, he still doing nerd videos, but only from time to time. In the middle of that he puts lots of videos being only James. So the fans of the character got more comfortable with the idea of him simple talking about things, without any shtick. It worked

Without even counting Monster Madness and the expansion the channel had with Mike, livestreams, new staff members and such.

If we're talkin' Will Arnett Lego Batman, then hell yes

Too many skits. No real critical analysis with what he enjoyed and what he didn't. I don't expect to agree with him, but I actually want to know the good and the bad without some screaming face or harlot taking away from the show. Top Gear (Now The Grand Tour) did it well, but this guy practically cuts off when I'm WAITING for the rest of his sentence with some skit the distracts from the rest of his review.

The non-sequitur element has to go, too.

Holy shit. He snorted lots of coke or what? He can't just stop twitching and stuttering at everything.

I do find it funny how he keeps trying to launch memes and yet they never take off.

>nuking the fridge
>I was frozen today
>big lipped alligator moment

The only one I can think of that went anywhere was "We've got to have MONEY", but that's back when he was in his prime.

He's also a surprisingly chill dude IRL, in contrast with his AVGN persona. HIs handling of the ghostbusters controversy, for example, was to give an indepth synopsis of the films and the possible history of a third movie that never was. I found it interesting and frankly it taught me alot of cool facts I never knew.

Problem is not the review being more about jokes than about real complaints. Jontron make it, and it's funny as hell.

Problem is that when you don't know a thing about timing/punchline delivery/setting up a joke, the chances is that it will be annoying as it gets.

His latest reviews have it even worse, he practically begged people to make a meme out of a Freddy reaction face in the Freddy VS. Jason review.

He's really, really shy

You can see it clearly on videos he's at conventions panels

In one picture, everything wrong with Doug "The Hack" Walker

From his most recent review

Enjoy

Really? I thought that was one of the shittier ones from the revival series

Who fucking draws these

I think this bugs me more than anything.
Remember when TGWTG was successful?
Why did Doug never employ someone to animated, or at the very least, produce better art for his "animated" skits?

Doug's artwork is awful.

He does himself

Doug.

>that time he literally started making his own reaction gifs/videos

Correction, Youtube's Content ID law and blip.tv goin under the toilet was what forcé him to tip toeeing over copyrighted stuff which is why his reviews were neutered, also cause its easy to him to use gay ass shit royalty free music cause its shit.

Oh and the skits, that's just punishment cause he got salty because nobody like DEMO REEL.

Not only his artwork

Constantly you will see sketches with, I'm being seriously here, signs made entirely out of paper, markers and cardboard

Hell, in the making of videos, there's a segment where his dad literally talks how he found the Dorothy costume for Tamara at a one-dollar store. And how there was only "Sexy Dorothy" available, much for Tamara dismay

I love his retro commercial compilations.

>Remember when TGWTG was successful?

He is successful, at least if your definition of successful is the amount of views he still gets.

His fanbase of autistic children (not a dumb internet joke: his fanbase is growing younger and once when he made an autism joke, hordes of them complained saying they have autism) will always keep watching his videos and will never want him to improve because they lack the aesthetic appreciation skills to know why his videos are terrible. They just want to make sure he keeps making NC videos.

I think most people know he ended NC to do another show, which was a horrible piece of shit, but his fans didn't mind that. They were just worried that didn't have their NC anymore. Their precious routine was broken. And so he revived the character and brought back Nostalgia Critic.

This is the only life left for him. He quit his last job as a janitor more than a decade ago, and unlike other youtubers, he's picked up barely any useful technical skills when making his videos. Nor has he gained any comedic skills either. Can you imagine this guy doing stand-up or writing a real tv show? This is the life he chose and he has to live with it until the end.

Trump won
these opinions are the only ones that matter

Good for you Tyrone.

at least she's white and he is straight

Yes, I am black

and "TJ" is fine

>Watching this right now
>Review and Egg-O commercial
>Stranger Things joke will happen at any time now
>Any time now.......
>Sketch with almost 2 minutes for the SURPRISING Stranger Things punchline
>Wow! How unexpected!

Seriously, how he can be so bad at this?

TGWTG may still be "successful", but it's a far cry from the initial success it had. They went from being discussed in actual business magazines and having actual internet notoriety throughout, to just having a persistent fandom bubble.

>Takes random kid's show from the 80's.
>Proceeds to bitch and moan for 15 minutes about how it is childish and asinine, has terrible continuity and plots make little sense
>Never grasping that men in their 30's were never intended to view it in the first place much less break it down and review it

Man, Sup Forums can get really carried away with its memes sometimes

That shitty movie with the Bison costumes was his "Dream Project?"

The context of the greentext implies "Demo Reel" was his dream project.

Also of note: The game show he made only lasted one episode, and that was the pilot episode that the IndieGoGo was made for.

Actually, that's incorrect. There's several episodes of it on a YouTube playlist.

It never gets better

He comes off like a douche with no self awareness

compare this to Mike "9 inch dong" Matei who does James Rolfe's art

doug btfo

I always preferred the stuff James does. He puts in so much more effort and his movie reviews are comfy as hell. Look at his favorite movies compared to Doug's. Doug is like that asshole who pretends to like art movies to seem more sophisticated while James is much more genuine, picking movies HE likes, not what critics regard is the best. James comes off as a down to earth guy who loves films while Doug honesty just seems like a tool.