Spider-Island Storytime

Welcome back Anons! Last time, we finished up the final Heroes For Hire series. Next, we have a few tie-ins to Spider-Island. Before we get to that, we have to actually read Spider-Island itself.

It's not "technically" an event, in that it didn't get a limited series like, say, Fear Itself, but for some reason, it got tie-ins from other titles.

Remember, this is going on at the same time as Bendis's Avengers, which constantly has the whole "what have you Avengers done for us lately?!" deal.

Remember when Jameson was mayor?

That's a random bunch of characters right there. That's half of that "Young Allies" team from a while back.

>"It means WE'RE Spidey's Amazing Friends."

Cut to a few months later, and Slott casually kills that team off to piss people off.

>Caselli's recent output wasted on inhuman trash and now Ririririririri
Why

Because Marvel hates their readers.

So Peter basically invented cryogenic freezing for organic life. How has this shit NEVER come up since?

So, who remembers what Spider-Island was about?

Remember Norah Winters? She was surprisingly entertaining.

Oh yeah, Phil Urich here is also Hobgoblin, was the heroic Green Goblin from the 90's.

Wait, that's Phil? I think I preferred him in the MC2 universe.

>and suddenly The Jackal

Until Clone Conspiracy, this story arc was the last time this guy had appeared. So if you want a refresher on the non-SpOck elements that Slott could bring up in that event, keep following.

Phil ended up losing his powers during Onslaught (or so he thought), and went into obscurity. MC2 brought him back as basically an honorable Uncle for May. Slott ended up bringing him back during his run to turn him into a supervillain.

>Agent Venom

One good thing about the stories getting close to the modern days it means I don't have to ask what the hell these characters are, and I don't have to embarrass myself by trying to explain.

Speaking of, did Flash ever find out Peter was Spider-Man?

I can't believe we did the entire New Avengers series without a SINGLE Poker Game, but we had countless dinner scenes.

odd product placement.

Man, remember how Slott spent almost an entire arc hyping up the Way of the Spider, and Peter almost NEVER uses it past this? You'd think that would be used more often.

>that No One Dies reference

So has anyone forgiven Slott for that dumb premise, now that he had Peter abandon it?

Yeah, for those of you who don't remember, Slott's the one who brought back Kaine after he was killed off in Grim Hunt.

In case you can't tell easily, he's saying "What have you done?"

All I can read him saying this time is "stop you".

So yeah, basically this is "What if everyone was Spider-Man"?

Spoilers: We won't se ANY of these costumes here, besides the Spider-Man one, obviously.

And no more Caselli for this bit, time for Ramos.

Not to sound like a pervert, but if she's upside down in a loose top like she is, how is she keeping it down?

>"You design tech for Spider-Man!"

This was yet another of the random explanations Peter shat out for why he and Spider-Man seem to be around the same place so often.

Given that people keep saying that turning Julia into Madame Webb was a massive step down, I can only assume I should read more of her Spider-Woman stories, outside of the first Secret Wars.

Psi-Web? That's a bit of a stretch to call a "web", isn't it?

So, stupid question. WHY does Jackal keep a troupe of clones of himself around? Not even as spares, that would make sense. He just uses clones of himself as henchmen!

Well they went down quickly.

'telekinetic net' doesn't sound as cool

I forget, why did May move back from Beantown?

Not even the same kind of costumes, yet not a single Ben Riley costume.

>Cloak, Dagger, Firestar, Gravity, Arana, Jessica Drew, Ms.Marvel, Hawkeye, Luke Cage, Iron Fist

That's a random bunch of heroes.

>that Spider-face tattoo

>an entire city of Spider-Men

JJ is either living in his personal hell, or his dream.

It wouldn't be the dumbest application of psychic powers. One guy randomly has telepathic GUNS projections.

He still does not know.

Apparently the colorist didn't get the memo that Iron Fist's Iron Fist hasn't been purple in decades.

Shang-Chi is surprisingly a bro, considering it's not his book.

Oh hey, there IS a few Scarlet Spider costumes there.

>hastags outside of Twitter

That won't ever NOT seem annoying.

That's a bummer. You'd expect them to do that at least once before replacing him.

Doesn't Peter have a programmable costume now? Shit, just make a brand new one right now, and solve this issue.

>"I'm blacklisted from the Daily Bugle, remember?"

I don't remember the specifics, unfortunately, but Peter faked a picture to get JJ out of a problem that he knew he wasn't involved in because he was there as Spider-Man, but couldn't admit that.
JJ, for once, did the ethically right thing (based on what he knew), and said Peter faked the evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I liked this era of Slott Spider-Man
But my favorite part of Spider-Island was the prologue issue before this where Betty Brant is raped

>that crushed pole

That thing should be falling all over him.

Remember this scene for the end of the arc.

Is that "worn like a little hat" comment a reference to something?

I try to skip the "road to X" issues in these event threads.

cute

And they all got their shit wrecked because half of these people haven't thrown a punch in their damn lives.

JJ's probably been practicing this speech for months. You can tell since he never outright mentions more than one Spider-Man.

And only now is he going into specifics

When does he learn spider-fu from shang chi?

>kissing his current girlfriend literally above his ex

Dick move there, Peter.

He had been learning Kung Fu for a few issues before this, after he lost his Spider-Sense and a Mandrill-controlled Jessica Drew kicked his ass (again).

I like how his facial expressions are a lot more visible in his FF suit

The scientist in #6 was a recurring mystery in Slott's run. I think we end up finding out who he was in this arc though.

>Anti-Venom

Remember when he was a thing, Anons?

Well at least cloning isn't involved, so it makes sense he wouldn't be the first idea.

>that dagger costume
>sweatingguy.jpg
Also I like jess' ben reilly costume there

>those ears

I'm sure you know who's in those shadows, Anons. She was flavor of the month-Waifu for a while.

If memory serves, THEY got a tie-in to Spider-Island where they switched powers.

Yep, White Rabbit.

>>that dagger costume
Someone should storytime Cloak & Dagger's first 3 volumes. Its phenomenal stuff.

>Also I like jess' ben reilly costume there
And Black Panther, too.

>he actually yelled the attack name

>THEY got a tie-in to Spider-Island where they switched powers.

That's true. It didn't really have much to do with Spider-Island, though.

That story just recently got resolved in ASM, when Peter found a way to revert their powers.

I wonder if this is why Slott doesn't use Way of the Spider anymore. It means Peter can take out three villains in one page.

They're able to do anything he is which is a huge help
And he can trust them to not fuck up like random mooks would probably

The hell is with White Rabbit's face in the 2nd panel?

do they have a comic or something? the spider one looks cute

>It means Peter can take out three villains in one page.

He has ALWAYS been able to do that, though.

We'll find out who Spider-King is later on, but it got revealed early in Agent Venom, as the editorial note mentions.

Raimi pls.

And here's another one.

>Someone should storytime Cloak & Dagger's first 3 volumes. Its phenomenal stuff.

Not to be a dick user, but if you've got it, YOU can storytime it. Lord knows with the regular torrent sites down, it's tricky to get some comics now.