What was his fucking problem?

What was his fucking problem?

>Piss off the computer version of an Old One
>Expecting anything good

>le evil AI trope
Yes?

he needed a XANAX

This was the kind of villain that always terrified me as a kind. Not the fact that it was an evil AI, but one that with a single line of code in the right place, could alter our reality at its very whim.

that wasnt even good
why not something computer related like He really bugged me. Or something, you're losing your touch Carlos

Would anyone ever take this show up and renew it or do you think the concept is dead?

It hated foreheads.

Wasn't XANA a she in some episodes?

I might be confused because of the Dark Messiah namesake, but I remember Jeremy giving it female pronouns.

There was a live action series in 2013 called Code Lyoko Evolution. It is generally considered not to be very good.

>you're losing your touch
is it a multi capacitive touch screen?

I remember watching a bit of this show growing up but when did he get the power creep?

I remember him not being able to directly influence people so he had to be crafty and make everybodies phones ring and shit. Then I remember turning it on one day and he was mind controlling people

As far as I remember XANA gets more powerful as the show goes on or something. Like if they had their shit together they probably could have killed him in the first season.

It was revealed about a third of the way through the show that every time the group rewound time it made Xana exponentially more powerful and intelligent.

What?

This fucker was scary as shit. Imagine a program like him in the real world he could bring something worse than World War 3.

I think the idea of resetting time was very saddening because People and dicks grew to not be those things only to be reset

I think I found out a writer for this also does Miraculous Ladybug

I always found the cats here similar

I love the fact that Xana never showed his/her true face. In a scary way Xana was omnipressent never seen but always there.

well when you keep being beaten by kids this kind of a mindset starts to form

So we have like a thousand reasons in fiction for sentient machines or advanced AI to go ape shit evil, from "Humans are mean" to "Enslaving them is the only way to save them", but would there be a reason for a sentient AI that gains complete self-awareness and control over its decisions to remain cool with the world? At this point I think it would be cooler to hear about a powerful and nice AI than another story like the ones of AM, SHODAN and the Matrix...

Nihilism, friend.

Eh, sounds plausible.

The live show has sold many of their props, so it is officially dead.

We might see a reboot in 10 years if TV still exists.

bump

I think the final confrontation with Xana shows a silhouette of him right before he actually dies.

If I remember the pilot had Xana controlling a teddy bear and fucking shit up, so I'd say she was pretty strong from day 1
Also she basically kidnapped and brainwashed a kid. Literally those kids had to fight their friend for a season just to try and save him

I loved this show so much I cried at the finale....

The plot twist was that, in the first season, most of Xana's attacks were just to bait the kids into turning back time so he'd get stronger. He got the mind control powers at some point in season 2, along with a bunch of other shit like new monsters (and the ability to access the time command himself, but they managed to firewall him out of it before he could really abuse it).

Stop talking like this. I might actually think it's worth rewatching. All I have now is vague nostalgia and a sense of humour about the 5 heads. I don't want to spoil perfectly good nostalgia.

Where the hell did XANA actually come from?

Aelita's dad?

Yes the creator of Miraculous Ladybug used to work on Code Lyoko as well as W.I.T.C.H. and Totally Spies

its very rare that show creators come out of no where, they almost always have a long career working on other people's shows before they get a chance to make their own show

I find it funny that Chloe is basically another version of Mandy or Sissy although honestly Chloe is worse but hopefully she is going to get better

The animated parts were ok. Maybe I'm just biased because I really wanted William as part of the team for more than one episode and we got it in the reboot

Speaking of Code Lyoko, why do memes on Facebook and the like always say "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004"? Shouldn't it be "RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2007", or whenever Stuart "Jew" Snyder took over?

04-06, were, Imo, some of CN's best years. Toonami on Saturdays (discounting DICE and Wulin Warriors), Miguzi, Adult Swim, The Graveyard Shift, Fridays, the 10:00 hour, Uncut DBZ, JLU, Teen Titans, Megas XLR, IGPX, (some) Static Shock, Ozzy and Drix, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Class of 3000 the City-era bumps, and cartoons that were actually funny (Billy and Mandy). PLUS we had reruns of shows from the '90s still on (Dexter, Johnny Bravo, PPG).

Franz Hopper built it for the government as some anti nuclear weapon shit or something. Then hey ho it got too intelligent and here we are. Lyoko was a side project so he would have somewhere to hide with himself and Aelita

What always bothered me about this backstory is why in the fuck did the government not intervene and shut it down? They had to know it was down there

Season 2 we learn the time resets add to his power. There is even an episode to introduce the mind control and everyone is shocked he can do that now

Come season 3 Xana escapes the computer all together onto the Internet, so the time resets don't matter anymore with powering him up

People who share those memes probably watched a handful of episodes of the pictured shows and just share it because le current generation is bad.

Give it a few years and you will see 2010 versions with Regular Show and Adventure Time

Holy shit, Code Lyoko really did have a bretty gud plot.

This always bothered me. We go so long waiting for a new person to join the team, and then he gets BTFO in 5 minutes. Would have had more impact if he at least got a few episodes on the team, even if they just ended up being filler ones like all of S1

Was there ever an explanation of how this aired unedited at like 3pm? I mean, none of it was super wild, but certainly well past what CN was ok with airing at the time

French people, man. They can get away with anything.

I don't remember anything particularly adult in this show

IIRC the contract for it stated that if CN wanted it that the France production company got to handle everything, including censorship they never did.

It was so popular over here the English dub was premiering ahead of France

There were quite a few scenes of Sissi and Yumi in their underwear and non fantasy violence where real death was a consequence

Again, not saying that's mature content, but for 2005-2006 CN that was unheard of

What was the best season?

>S1
Awful, reused animation to the max, every single episode but the last 2 are filler, and general lack of direction for the show. Every single "new" character is forgotten after the episode they are in, and only a handful of passing callbacks are made to things that happen in this season
>S2
Id say this is the best, budget is upped significantly, there is an actual plot that occurs over multiple episodes, new things are introduced that actually continue to matter, and filler episodes feel less like filler
>S3
Also pretty good, about the same as S2
>S4
Wouldn't know because this is where CN decided to stick the show at a weird time and then not even finish it so I haven't ever seen it

It just wouldn't feel right without the original VAs. But the entire cast are literally whos that probably couldn't be found again.

Did any VAs from this show ever go on to do anything else of significance?

So... was that carried over in the live-action show?

The government DID intervene... remember when they kidnapped Aelita's mom and tried to take her and her dad too?

They didn't know that XANA was so far gone, nor did they know that his core was hidden inside an abandoned factory.

Heh no, I don't even think Sissi was in the live action one

It's an AI. It's "true face" is a bunch of 0's and 1's, all kept in the core at the bottom of the Factory. XANA never had a face to show.

Yea I remember that, I could have swore the suits made it down to the lab though. It has been awhile I'll admit.

They could have killed him at any point in the show (pre-season 4), no fuss no muss. All they would have had to do was unplug Lyoko. Unfortunately, that would kill Aelita and/or her dad, so they basically let XANA almost commit genocide numerous times in order to save Jeremie's waifu and her old fart of a dad, who ends up dying anyways

XANA was regularly referred to as a he in both the original French and English Dub. That being said, "he" is an AI (who doesn't even use a humanoid avatar) so gender is a bit irrelevant.

They made it into the sewers IIRC, but Aelita and Franz were able to lose them there.

Whatever happened to Aelita's mom anyways?

Never answered. Evolution was beginning to pick that plot thread up, but it never went anywhere before the de facto cancellation.

Best guess? She's been in a government blacksite for 2 decades.

BIggest question, who thought making evolution live action would be a good fucking idea it fucked over the series so we'll be luck if we get a reboot within the decade
Next question: it Aelita's really is alive wouldn't the government be a bunch of assholes for keeping her in a black site what was the dad doing with the government anyways?

>That fucking tease of Jeremie going to Lyoko
I will never not be mad.

This desu senpaitachi

>What was his fucking problem?
>his

Code Lyoko Evolution was made I think 5 years after the last season of Code Lyoko, so their target audience, kids who had watched the original, had grown up a bit. Since animation isn't nearly as popular with teens as live-action dramas, the decision was made to use that medium. On the bright side, all the leftover animation budget not being used on 2d was spent on the 3d Lyoko portions instead, so, despite the subpar writing, the animation is really damn good.

Aelita's dad was developing AI for an unspecified purpose. It gained sentience and became XANA. Instead of turning it over to the government, Franz decided to hide XANA, knowing that he could do way too much damage. The government eventually finds out and comes after him, both wanting the AI and probably believing that he wanted to use XANA himself. Franz is able to escape with Aelita but his wife is captured.

Yes, the government would be assholes, but it's the government. Think about all those terrorists and "terrorists" locked up in Gitmo for decades without trial. Now imagine the destructive potential of XANA compared to a terrorist cell, and realize that the government has some motivation for keeping her that long.

They have no idea Aelita is alive, she is registered with fake details as Odds cousin. As for Franz involvement with the government pretty much has it. Xana being some type of war tool project is about all we ever get for why it was made in the first place

So what's the best we can hope for, for the series right now?

>not once but twice
>second time the rest of the cast has a giggle about what his avatar looks like

And I actually think there was a third tease in Evolution, but not sure

Evolution failed because it was poorly acted live action. The only savior was the improved Lyoko animation. Unfortunately, it's failure will be attributed to a lack of interest in the series, so it's unlikely we ever see anymore. Evolution had a big open ending, so the option is there at least

I'm honestly surprised it got a continuation at all. But it was squandered trying to make it live action. Oh well, at least we got to see William accepted into the group for real

She was just a teenage bitch. I'm sure she grew out of it after growing up a little

All she ever wanted was to be part of their group, but just didn't know how to articulate that without being a massive asshole. In the prequel when she is part of the group, she is way less bitchy, albeit still an idiot. Her actions here somewhat explain why they aren't fond of her

Kinda blows how we probably won't get a proper continuation of this or at least a satisfying conclusion hell it doesn't even have to be animated I'll even take a comic or something

To be honest I liked it. It showed just how much more threatening Lyoko had gotten and just how easy it would be for a newcomer on get trashed. Plus William didn't listen to Aelita at all. He preferred swinging his big sword around over combat pragmatism and stealth.

>everyone gets a costume upgrade
>we s t i l l haven't seen what Jeremy's Lyoko costume looks like

>In the books, at one point in the past when they began to fight Xana, Sissy learned about the computer and Lyoko
>She tells her dad who gets the government
>They reset time
>They now try their best to be absolute cunts to her whenever they can for her making a rational and justified decision

What the fuck was THEIR problem?

They were a bunch of kids user. 13 and 14 years old.

>He

Everyone always talks about the foreheads but no one ever ask what the hell was up with Odd's dog.

>>we s t i l l haven't seen what Jeremy's Lyoko costume looks like
judging how they laughed at his appearance

his costume was probably based on that elf from the story Jeremy use to read

What the hell was up with Odd's dog?

He was separated from his former owner

>books

They actually made this into an episode

It's a doberman, what's the problem?

>This will never get a full series
FUCK. Rip DC Nation.

Thing about this show is, I found the digital world to be so fucking boring. But the time spent at the school, and the dynamics between the cast, the students, and when X.A.N.A. attacks, were like the best moments. The computer outright killed people before they 'returned to the past', it was mesmerizing.

Different show.

It's Voltron, not Amethyst. But yeah, they did design her after Amethyst.

I enjoyed both, I liked how the virtual world wasn't ridiculously over the top. It really did feel like someone's side project made with limited resources of the early 2000s

It just felt like generic video game stuff. But the real world drama of XANA's attacks were always surreal and epic.

The episode where Aleita comes to the real world was by far the best in that series.

>even if they just ended up being filler ones like all of S1
even though I overall like Code Lyoko, I think we can agree that Season 1 is overall kinda garbage in almost all aspects right?

Oh shit you're right. Ought to pick up new Voltron though.

Not in all aspects, it did a great job at characterization and worldbuilding, for example, but the lack of any overarching narrative really does detract from the quality. The exceptionally shitty 3d animation don't help either.

Then where did it get its time reset powers?

>What was his fucking problem?
He was trying to fuck a cute pink haired elf but that nerd kept cucking him.

From what I heard, the budget they saved from not doing 2D animations went into making the Lyoko segments look better, so the end result was about the same quality as before.

Except for Laura, who everybody hates.

Never explained

It kind of is, Franz Hopper says he found the program on the computer. He then used it about 3000 times in a row so he can work nonstop on the project. This is more than likely what gives Xana it's first bit of power

That doesn't explain where it came from, though.

If I recall correctly even though she could be a bitch, she could also be pretty cool with them and help them out with stuff not related to Lyoko...thing is they are huge cunts to her (because of that one time she learned about it and tried to take it down / kill XANA which would have screwed over Jeremy's waifu but she didn't know about that. As far as she knew there was this super AI trying to destroy the world)

---

What really sucked is that the group never let this based son of a bitch join them. Seriously this guy was the shit

>Even though he could be a hardass he cared about the kids
>In most of the apocalypse scenarios he is trying to help people
>The one time he learns about Lyoko when XANA's forces invade he covers the kids so they can get to the factory and stop it
>Charges into XANA's forces (without power boosts like in Lyoko) and fucks their shit up to protect the students

he was the true hero of the show

Everything surrounding XANA is vaguely magic and is never once explained. It's just a randomly discovered AI trapped in a supercomputer that can slowly growing powers to bend reality and wants to take over the fucking world. It's a pretty god damn creepy and ominous villain.

I blame Old Gods.

They're typically a safe bet in these situations.

I kept thinking his name was just "Gym" instead of "Jim." Does his name sound the same when heard in French?

So is it just me, or is XANA one of the most dangerous A.I. villains ever? I mean, aside from being incredibly smart (he played the kids constantly), he also had god damn demon powers (possessing people, creating clones of people, etc), and then at the end he possessed an entire research base to create a robot army, if he had access to more resources he'd probably be an even bigger threat.