Green Team AKA WHAT THE FUCK WAS DC THINKING

Title says it all, really. I just got reminded today that this existed, much to my chagrin.

What the fuck was their idea with this team? I tried reading the comic, and it was dull as fuck. What's the appeal supposed to be?

Reviving an old property that was outside the classic superhero genre while ramping up the political satire angle that definitely can go further in mainstream comic books today than it did 30 years ago. Also giving them a counterpart with The Movement book because le occupy wall street.

As far as I recall, the Green Team were supposed to be the counterpart to Simone's equally awful The Movement, but GT got cancelled before the teams even had a chance to meet.

>"The Green Team is a group of boy millionaires who travel the world having adventures. Their original membership included Commodore Murphy, J.P. Houston, Cecil Sunbeam, and Abdul Smith. In the New 52 reboot, they are teenage trillionaires and Smith is replaced by Mohammed Qahtanii."

Jesus Christ.

Using The Movement as a companion book, they were trying to cash in on the Occupy Wall Street meme at the time. Unfortunately, no one really cared about either.

>The Movement
Which book was that, again? Is it the one where two cops try to cop a feel of a teenage girls in front of her boyfriend and a bunch of kids in masks show up to film it? I couldn't make it past this first part.

I don't know which is worse, the old version or the N52 one.

And now Marlel will Occupy in 2016.
Different times, user. They had all sort of weird shit in comics.

It was a book about an Occupy Wall Street like movement that was fronted by a couple of young superheroes who were too busy talking about their respective sexualities to get anything done.

Just judging by that cover, the old version looks a lot worse.

They still do, but it's awkward to say the things we read are weird as fuck.

>Unfortunately, no one really cared about either.

The books were awful, specially The Movement.

Probably just trying to bank on Richie Rich and such. I imagine kids would like to vicariously live the fantasy life of someone with infinite money.

Try to make that into a modern meta self-conscious book about entitled teenagers and... Not so much.

I'm getting awful flashbacks to that live action Richie Rich movie.

How long did Green Team last anyway? 4 issues? Less? I remember The Movement running for 12 fucking issues before DC finally pulled the plug.

>too busy talking about their respective sexualities to get anything done.
How can they fight crime if they don't have their pronouns straight? What if they accidentally misgender each other in the heat of battle?

For what it's worth, N52 Green Team at least got neat covers by Amanda Conner.

8 issues according to the Wiki.

More importantly, is there any decent fanart of this chick?

8, I think. I also remember it ending with them trying to buy the Teen Titans name or rights or something?

This'll be the setup for Civil War III, just you wait.

A bunch of Richie Riches throwing money at the world's problems is a great hook

Deathstroke looks about as miserable as someone roped into working on this... Or tricked into reading it.

I think DC's mistake was making Green Team into a cape book. It would have worked a lot better as a social/political satire ala Prez.

then it would have died two issues before.

Haha! Now I'm sad that Prez ended so fast.

The biggest problem was having a comedy writer on the book but making the book serious

Probably, but it would have been remembered more fondly. Whatever that's worth.

Or rather, it would have been remembered at all

That's what I was going to say. There was a good take for this book or a bad take and they went for the mediocre easy take like a good portion of New 52 stuff. Prez could have easily been another Green Team under another creative teams' watch.

>I'm just a jerk
Kek

I still feel like this could be really funny if they intentionally made it about the super-powered adventures of a bunch of unlikeable assholes with money.

>read the movement
>it's exactly like current marvel
>mfw DC pioneered libcuck schlock years before Marvel did

DChamps are just too good

I remember reading that DC just wanted to keep the trademark for the name Green Team so they put that series. Dunno how true that is.

I'm going to assume, too, that Green Team had no fun with its concept and was probably a thinly veiled shot at the idea of rich people.