/who/ - Doctor Who General

Shalka Doctor is canon edition.

Non-canon:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/910265013444775941
youtu.be/iiY6_ttvNmc?t=275
groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.drwho/zagreus$20before$3A2003$2F11$2F01
youtube.com/watch?v=HbXj2OGXFjI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just a reminder ZA IS NO LEADER!

Go to bed Kal.

Never watched Shalka. Did they explain why he became a vampire?

Cornell's a Buffy fan.

An in-universe explanation?

Because he was eaten by sylvester mccoy.

True. And no more money either. All stolen.
fcuked.

More like Doctor Who Gives A Shit?

Not sure why anybody likes this show except for young children.

>DUDE VAMPIRES
>nope its actually aliens
>DUDE GHOSTS
>DUDE DEMONS
>DUDE ALIENS
>nope it's actually aliens but from another dimension

But what are your opinions on Oreos?

the food or the race?

You have to go back.

Back to myspace.

got a time machine I can borrow?

How does it feel knowing there will NEVER be an episode as kino as Heaven Sent EVER again?

But there was. World enough and time

>>DUDE VAMPIRES
>>nope its actually aliens
>>DUDE GHOSTS
>>DUDE DEMONS
>>DUDE ALIENS
>>nope it's actually aliens but from another dimension
This is one reason I didn't like The Daemons, I didn't want the show to get into this trope. I've come to accept it as part of what the show is post-1971 to the point that it doesn't really irk me, but I prefer when Doctor Who doesn't do this.

Just the fact that there is one episode as good as Heaven Sent feels pretty good.

Not good.

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/910265013444775941

So was Capaldi fired?

Witch's Mark had honest magic. Camera Obscura also had more-or-less magic, as did Adventuress of Henrieta Street (they both describe science fiction in magical terms).

>believing in GirlyLetters

>announced
That's when the public finds out. The BBC knew well before then.

Minuet In Hell uses Magic. As does that one sarah jane adventure with 11 with the monsters that make things out of peoples memories....

Sorry I made a mistake. It wasn't Camera Obscura that had magic, it was the other Lloyd Rose novel "City of the Dead" (not to be confused with City of Death).

Huh.

No. All hints point to him simply deciding to leave late into the process.

/who/ how does this sound for a ST3 entry:
The Death of the Doctor(not sold on title, give suggestions)
It is the story of how the Doctor dies, but told in a 3 person POV never mentioning how the Doctor dresses (so we the readers don't know which regeneration it was) and companions don't get description (again we don't know who they are) and follow the narrator describing the Doctors actions and what lead up to his demise.

Heaven Sent was good but it's already been surpassed.

Well, if you take out the reference to 'his', sounds good. Although, I never fully non-specific Doctor stories, as each Doctor has importance distinctions. Still, it's a good idea.

So first off, the title's been used. Rtd did an 11 episode for the sja that used it.

Second, nonchalantly being nondescript to keep people guessing who the doctor is was used in The Infinity Doctorbut go ahead and use it. It could use another go as an idea.

3. Make the brig the companion. He's had involvement with every doctor.

4.make it an original one but with references to past stories like this so people think you're just retelling another story in another perspective. Keep swerving them

5. Reset the button hard at the end so as to leave people guessing even more.

The month before he "decided" to leave he said he hoped to be the Doctor for "a long time I hope".

youtu.be/iiY6_ttvNmc?t=275 (4:35)

I could be wrong or misremembering, it happens often, but I thought the radio show in which he announced he was leaving, he mentioned that he only made the decision that day? Right?

What did she mean by this?

>tfw they can see into the future

Right thanks, the pronouns really are confusing.
Also checked

1.- Yeah I figured the title had been used before. How about "The Day the Universe Wept"?

2.- I was not aware of it, I wont read/listen to it now because I don't want to get influenced by it, but when I finish.

3.- Hm making the Brigadier his companion is a good idea but my main hold back is that a) I have not seen classic who so I don't know how to write him, but also ST3 is at least a year away so I may have time. and b) He does not really seem like the companion the Doctor would go out with, but then again no companion seems like it so by not describing them it could very well mean any companion.

4.- I like this idea of teasing the reader, maybe start teasing them with something 1 would do and then work my way up to 12 (13?).

5.-I dig this too, thanks.

Thank you for your feedback user!

But Whittaker herself auditioned in January so if that's true then the BBC knew Capaldi was leaving before he did, i.e. he was fired.

Wasn't it recently said that Chibnal had a long term plan in his head from the beginning and always wanted a female doctor? I thought that was funny considering that it was said that Chibnall asked PCaps to stay on and Pcaps had yet to make a decision.
Am I misremembering this stuff?

>believing in GirlyLetters

Jon Blum on GB said this:

>That doesn't follow. Because Moffat didn't actually start writing the finale scripts until late 2016, when we heard Chibnall asked Capaldi to stay on the previous March. Plenty of time for him to keep considering it between those two points.

>Seriously, we have Moffat after the announcement talking about how Chibnall almost talked Capaldi into staying*. We have Capaldi talking at the end of 2016 about how he was still holding off on his decision. Literally every bit of evidence we have is consistent with the idea that Capaldi didn't make his final decision until late in the day -- which is also consistent with the behavior of the previous two Doctors, both of whom kept the door open till well after you'd think they'd have to settle it.

>Remember: David Tennant didn't officially tell Moffat that he wouldn't stay on until the middle of shooting on "The Next Doctor". By which point RTD had had his finale pencilled in for more than two years, and the gap-year-specials plan had already been announced seven months earlier!

>Basically, I can't understand why you're so vehement that it was all "just Public Relations nonsense", when every bit of evidence points to it being a real possibility. Moffat knew that Capaldi could leave, and planned the series so it could go that way, but didn't actually commit to doing the finale that way until Capaldi finally made his choice... around the time that he'd need to start on the finale scripts. (And then had to add the Christmas special even after that.) There is no reason to assume that they had everything locked in as a done deal basically a full year before the Cybermen two-parter started filiming -- that would be extraordinary for TV!

Essentially, it seems Chibnall tried to get Capaldi to stay, and was tryig to convince him up until late December-January. When Capaldi decided, after a long time of Chibnall trying to convince him to stay, Chibs immediately starts auditions.

>Jon Blum on GB said this:
>doesn't end in Cheers, Jon Blum
I'm calling shenanigans.
/shitposting

Actually, it ended with Regards, Jon Blum

Ta,

How the fuck did we go from RTD and Euros "smear cum on the camera lens" Lyn to this?

Imagine how Heaven Sent would have looked if it was made for Series 2.

Hell even the more modern RTD episodes still had that smeary look (even when they filmed in HD).

I seem to recall Moffat saying he knew the Doctor would be female after series 10 so he tried to play up the Doctor's masculine qualities this series but found he couldn't because it's not really essential to the character. Basically implying he wrote most of series 10 knowing Capaldi was leaving and would be replaced by a woman.

I don't remember reading that anywhere. Source? (I don't think you're lying, but I literally don't remember that. And anyway, Moffat might have known by the second or last third of filming, but not the beginning.)

I remember him saying it in an interview at comic con or something. Mark Gatiss was there too.

It's just poor writing and a bland performance I think. Liv used to feel much blander but then she got some good stories and they developed her relationship with 8 better - I still don't think she really works as a solo companion, she's too reactive, but she isn't a write-off. But Helen is. The premise, riffing off Verity and 60s style sexism is good, but it's all just written so hollowly. I mean they couldn't even figure out how to write her and look what they did with her in the "end". I really hope the post Doom Coalition set very quickly dispenses with all its baggage and moves onto new storylines.
My dream 8 set is him and Charley reuniting years later, post DC for him and post her stuff for her, and exploring the differences in their characters and how relationships change, but that's probably a pipe dream

Woah awesome idea, that was really cool to hear

If you've heard the first two you may as well keep going, we're not getting any more Hurt, but they aren't suddenly kino compared to the earlier sets or anything

Chiball wanted to do a female doctor for years but I don't read that as him necessarily wanting his first series to have her

Liv has good chemistry with Eight. Helen doesn't really seem to have that relationship, nor does her background feed into too many of the plotlines.

My barometer for deciding whether or not a character is well-done is: could I imagine a line that sounds like only they could deliver it? I can imagine it easily for Liv, Charley, Sam Jones, or Sarah Jane, Barbara, and Clara Oswald.

I cannot imagine anything for Helen that is not "generic companion."

>Chiball wanted to do a female doctor for years but I don't read that as him necessarily wanting his first series to have her

Chibnall seems like he wanted the Twelfth Doctor for his first series, to make the shift into showrunner easier. The 13th Doctor would have been female either way, but he wanted to start with the 12th.

I was so pissed when doom coalition didn't even resolve its own story and set up finding Helen as the story for at least the start of the next series. They had 15 audios with her and failed to improve her, it's time to move on. The monthlies, edas, and dark eyes all ended their own stories, it annoys me that dc didn't.

Yeah I think nearly everyone would have preferred a transition series with 12 and Chibnall, clean breaks like S5 are really hard. Oh well, S5 turned out great, and I have high hopes for S11.

>so he tried to play up the Doctor's masculine qualities this series
but why

Because it would be the last chance to do so for a while.

that's silly

Yeah, but he was probably just bullshitting anyway.

Don't remember the source, I just remember seeing it in a video

No reason to take it too seriously then.

Anyone else actually like it? I realise it's highly flawed, but it's just such a fascinatingly mad story.

Yep, I do. I appreciate the ambition of it and like a lot of what it did.

I prefer neverland

So do I, it's obviously better. I just don't understand why Zagreus is so hated, it tried to do some interesting and ambitious things, which is something big finish don't really do anymore.

It always gets me how much stuff from Neverland is weirdly changed in Zagreus, like the anti-time people being effectively replaced by Divergents...something went off in the long wait between the two stories, and probably in both Russell and Barnes writing it. It's like it repeats a lot of Neverland's ideas but in slightly different ways then just moves on.

I think the context matters, people suffered a long wait from Neverland to Zagreus (which always results in people hyping stuff up heaps and thinking of their own resolutions that the actual follow-up story won't live up to), people were used to anniversary specials being nice stories with some loving fanwank, not experimental anniversary stories basically refusing to be an anniversary story and being aggressively fanwank for continuity points but not for characters...years later, when we've all heard The Light at the End and seen more anniversary specials same as usual, it's easier to appreciate one that was really bizarre and different.

groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.arts.drwho/zagreus$20before$3A2003$2F11$2F01

^Check out actual forum discussions on Zagreus before it released to get an idea of the climate back then.

Some really interesting stuff there. Reading the speculation does make me wish we'd heard those ideas instead. Though I still think Zagreus is ok as it is.

Would listening to the 4DAs in chronological order make sense, or should I just stick to release order?

Yes, you can listen to them chronologically. They get released as seasons for each era anyway, so listening to them chronologically wouldn't matter.

What would you personally recommend fine sir?

It really depends what you want to do. Personally I would go in chronological order, but that's just me, and it works just as well in release order.

Thank you kindly fine gentleman

*tips fedora*

Who does /who/ want depicted in the /who/ pub? Struggling with depictions so they'll be anthropomorphized since I don't have any pictures except for maybe 2-4 /who/res\/who/lligans.

A cat, for Cats!

What's your favourite doctor who story in any medium? For me it's gotta be A Death in the Family.

Fear Her.

It begins.

Now, I will say that this would make an awesome Who plot.

>The 13th Doctor and Bee go to a pleasant afternoon stroll on 21st Century Switzerland--and are arrested immediately. There is a prophecy about a woman from the stars heralding Earth's destruction, and a dark force is coming. But how can the Doctor stop a disaster, that she is prophecied to create?

I would actually love to see something like that. I hope Chibnall will deliver a good series.

What are some good DW soundtracks to buy? I have just ordered The Daleks as I fucking love the soundtrack to that serial.

youtube.com/watch?v=HbXj2OGXFjI

>it's a people circlejerk about series 9 thread

can we not

I'm not that skilled with a tablet, sorry.

Literally nobody has mentioned Series 9 as a whole in this thread. There was a short conversation about Heaven Sent that ended...6 hours ago.

When will humans and silurians actually live in peace? We've yet to see a story where the silurian problem is resolved.

So can we all agree that Love and Monsters is a better script than Zygon Invasion / Zygon Inversion?

>we

Scaroth reporting in.

Series 9

Remember when people were ooh-ing and aah-ing over the possibility of the yard in Heaven Sent being called the Veil's Yard? Veil Yard. Valeyard. lel

>that's not even how you pronounce Valeyard

>mfw I kill the thread

Hm, I don't really know how to describe myself. I could send a pic through the secret trip twitter if you want?

Can someone give me a quick rundown on you?

bogda bogda!

Nice samefag.

nice samefag

Nice samefag

bogda bogda!

stop

today is a very important day for /who/

1. my ban has expired
2. it's a special someone's birthday

go on then, guess who. the person is involved with Doctor Who, janitors, so don't delete

Yours?

Is it Janice from HR?

no. they are very close to me though