Now that the dust has settled, what would you rate The Return?

Now that the dust has settled, what would you rate The Return?

Other urls found in this thread:

waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't rate art, I appreciate it. With that said, S3 was low effort overall.

7.5/10
Nowhere as kino as FWWM but still kino

8/10 hack ending

It was rushed and unsatisfying.

9.5/10, best thing on TV in a while.

4/18

which is the number of good episodes

7.5/10

Interesting show, but hollow and gimmicky compared to the original run and fwwm

9/10

What? The original series was the definition of gimmicky..

This season had more holes in plotlines/characters, also it was much more experimentally flawed

Yeah storytelling and satisfying character arcs are so gimmicky

11/10

The most rewatchable and enjoyable show in a long time.

6.5/10
At this point shitting or praising things is both considered contrarian to the other so by rating everything in a mediocre way I prove my intellectual superiority and taste because people will assume I've seen much better but not that I'm shitting on it just for postering ahah I just broke your metagame Sup Forums now come at me you pieces of shit come at me

6.75/10

>Muh film
Fuck off Tarantino

I love the lovecraftian lynchanesque elements

Haven't watched anything Twin Peaks, where should I start?

8.5/10 bretty good :DD
but compared to every other modern show 10/10

s03e18
literally the only canon episode of the show now

David Lynch is the sorta tard that voices a character on The Cleveland Show. Of course it wasn't going to be good.

had some ok moments but too few and far between over 18 FUCKING HOURS

I atleast Bob's dead I guess

Really frustrating. Pretty much the entire plot happens behind the scenes. All the main characters have secret plans that they hatched offscreen and the audience has no idea what's going on until Lynch provides a big exposition dump in the penultimate episode which still doesn't explain much. I don't need everything spooned to me but it's hard to care about what happens if you both don't understand the characters motivations and don't know what's at stake.

Maybe instead of Cooper being in a coma for 16 episodes and Evil Cooper doing nothing but walking around looking for coordinates, they could have spent all those episodes building up to a satisfying conclusion.

best thing on tv for ages/10
in relation to the other tp work? s1 > fwwm > s2 > missing pieces > s3

S3>S2 Final Episode and S2 Episode 7>S1>FWWM>S2

This.

This is how a brainlet thinks. Don't be a brainlet.

This except with FWWM at the very top

9.99/10

The best piece of art to hit the shitstain that is television since the original Twin Peaks.

The entire medium has been aping this show for decades, and in one 18 hour event, Lynch proves to these hacks that they still don't know how to compete.

100% agree.

Screw off Lynch. You did a hack ending.

A weird 8

10/10
These

This is actually gr8 b8. I'm not gonna bite, but almost.

People who are giving it perfect scores: admit it, the plot threads didn't really converge in a satisfying way and you would have liked it more if they did, stylistic choice or not.

I give it 9/10

I give it a 8/10.

Best series on television in a long time. I've actually going to buy it if it comes out on Bluray so that says something.

Yeah, I agree. Should've either been shorter, or hired someone else to write (eg: Robert Engels).
It was a kino audiovisual experience, though.

I enjoyed watching it a lot though unfortunately it has a long slog of boring episodes like season 2 did after Episode 8.
The last 3 episodes were 10/10 for me though.

It's hard to rate it completely before watching the whole season an other time. I would say that it is definitely different than the other seasons, maybe not as good, but at the same time, holy shit this is one of my favorite shows ever and i'm just so happy to see those characters live and breathe again. Lynch brought back a few layers of mystery in this game, and he is at least good at that.
Inland Empire was definitely a hack movie, and that's the only time i thought Lynch was doing bizarre for bizarre's sake.
But Twin Peaks has such intense moments, so heartfelt also, so dark...i can't think of any other show that talks so intimately to the viewers.

Seeking satisfying plot thread convergences is not what you look for in Lynch. Feeling you with a sense of loss and dread is half the point.

By the end of season 2, Cooper was lost. By the end of season 3, his situation is even more existentially hopeless.

Just my two cents: i know Lynch endings are bleak, BUT
considering he and Frost went on a brave and original way with the return, and considering the amount of nihilism and cynicism, and general edgyness on today's television shows, it would have been PERFECT if the ending was completely positive.
I did like the season anyway, still i think a happy ending would have been the best way for the above reasons, and also because the whole show overall had enough grimness already.

If you read this interpretation, it's kind of a happy ending...

waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/

>hack ending.

In what way? Bc you can't decide if it's a cliffhanger or a closure?

If Laura woke up there, it is a happy end, isn't?

This is interesting...i don't know how they came to the conclusion that Odessa was in a pocket world though...

At least 7/10

Overall, 8/10. It could have easily been 2-3 episodes shorter, but it still was well made, thought provoking, intriguing, exiting and mesmerizing.

I really like it, I know Lynch would never do it but I wish it ended when Coop returned to Twin Peaks and they got rid of Bob. I wanted a happy ending ;_;

There'd never be a happy ending given the circumstances. Coop was a 60 year old man whose live had been taken over by a wanted criminal.

Attempting to undo the Laura Palmer murder was more than just basic white knighting- it was the only way Coop could hope to sort out the wrongs done to him in life.

It was the greatest thing on television.

The blatant omission of Annie, and the forced romance between Coop and diane (who was probably the biggest disappointment/worst part of the season) really rubbed me the wrong way.
The show took about 7 episodes to click with me, but once it clicked with me I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I still prefer some of Lynch's films though - even FWWM is better.

7/10. Lazy production design, some terrible acting, weird, uneven writing, amateur editing and CG errors. Still I had fun with it and it has many memorable scenes

Better in a binge watch

>amateur editing and CG errors

Hahahahaha. Now that's someone who got Lynched.

I don't think you really can rate it, and I'm not gonna cop out and say "it's art you just don't understand it". Instead I'll just say that it's not twin peaks, and if you want it to be you'll be disappointed. It's 18 hours of Lynch doing whatever he wanted to do, and amidst the shitstorm of the walking dead, game of thrones and their countless derivatives that offer no attempt, however successful it may be, to be art, it's quite refreshing, and frankly I'm glad the show exists.

I liked the show and I'm rewatching it now. It is flawed no matter how much you say Lynched xD

Do you think in a hundred years people will use lynchian to describe TV shows and films? I hope so.

unironically this

Do you honestly think the CG wasn't intentionally off putting? Especially after the visuals Part 8 offered?

I can't look at something like Diane becoming a tulpa seed, and think, "wow, that's shit CG." It's 100% Lynch being Lynch.

Anything other than a 10 and you're lynched

I was talking about errors in the editing process you fucking retard. Like the car's door being transparent in the last episode. I was fine with the wacky CGI scenes even if tulpa diane was a bit too much imho.

>satisfying character arcs

7/10. Ending wasn't very good and Lynch said it took him 4.5 years to write the episodes. We won't see anymore Twin Peaks and I doubt he has the scripts or the financing to make another film. The Return was the last of Lynch as a director.

9.9 out of 10
Trent Reznor is literally the only bad thing about it

9/10
Needed more Dick Tremayne

>I love the lovecraftian lynchanesque elements
This guy gets it

4/10
Was a 8/10 until episode 18 ruined everything

>Haven't watched anything Twin Peaks, where should I start?
Season 1
Season 2
Fire Walk with Me
The Missing Pieces
Secret History of Twin Peaks (optional book written by co-creator)
Season 3
The Final Dossier (another book coming in October)

if it was just 17 episodes of retard Cooper I would give it a 3/10
But since we got 2 minutes of Wally Brando I rate it a 10/10

>suggesting secret history but not the secret diary of laura palmer
why

>Screw off Lynch. You did a hack ending.
look at this moron that doesn't understand sex magick. motherfucjer got lynched and crowleyed at the same time.

NAILED

Lynch doesen't give a shit about crowley, he just shoots whatever he thinks looks cool, more often than not dreams
The whole tulpa decommissioning sequence came from a dream for example

Some kino episodes and moments, some utterly useless and pointless scenes and some downright bad.

>Lynch doesen't give a shit about crowley
Maybe not, but Frost does. Laura Palmer is Crowley's Moonchild.

>the forced romance between Coop and diane
it was intentionally contrived, though. The dreamlike schlock and happy, romantic "ending" of E17 sets up the contrast for the harrowing realism of the sex scene in E18, which is a necessary part of the ritual in finding Judy.

>The Final Dossier
Does continue after season 3?

Frost wasn't even on set when they shot the series outside of his cameo, Lynch would call him on the phone just to confirm he was ok with script changes, and Lynch hasn't read secret history, so yeah he wouldn't even know what you're talking about, the crowley connection probably came later when Frost was writing his book anyway

No, it takes place between s2 and s3 but it will supposedly explain all the supernatural happenings
I suspect it will go into detail about Cooper's plan

There's no Coop/Diane romance. Coop emerges as the lodge's magician, the one referenced in the FWWM poem. They go back in time at the location the Fireman provided and perform a sex magick ritual to summon a new Moonchild/Laura Palmer since the original was pulled out of existence when Coop interfered with the events of FWWM.

Pretty good. 2 amazing episodes (8 and 11). Overall best show in years. I really need to rewatch Parts 1-4 separately because they all blurred together for me.

>perform a sex magick ritual to summon a new Moonchild/Laura Palmer
see, I initially thought that the ritual was to lure Judy into the alternate reality, seeing as the same thing happens in episode 1 with the glass box. But when you put it like that, I wonder if that would make Coop and Diane (or rather Richard and Linda) the parents of Carrie Page. If the changes which happen overnight at the motel are a jump forward in time (check out the vintage car cooper is driving before they fuck, and the newer-looking model after), there's a good chance that carrie page was conceived that night.

btw, is Moochild a good book? Been planning to read it for a long time.

Quite an experience with a truly shocking finale.

Yes, Carrie was the result of their ritual. Coop moves forward in time, Diane stays there and has her, which explains her age.

9/10.

4/10

The only thing that was memorable from this shit was episode 8.

What was ep 11?

>Hating Tarantino
>Preferring digital to film

Mitchum Brothers see the cherry pie and befriend Dougie.

8/10 should have had more comfy scenes.

That whole ending scene with the music and brando impressions was kino af.

7/10 tbqhwy senpai

This user gets it

Friendly reminder that Cooper is actually the imaginary defence mechanism of Laura, who dreams him up every night in order to protect her unconscious mind from confronting the fact that her recurring nightmare of BOB is really her father molesting her.

Before he dies, Lynch will sell this idea to tv execs, who will then proceed to dig up and rape the corpse of a young girl every week.

This and The Young Pope are the best tv series of all time.

That's pretty accurate. As far as I know the new Twin Peaks holds the records for the most hours of cinema continuously directed by a single auteur, and The Young Pope is not far behind.

Here's my personal top of the best TV series of all time:

1. "The Office" (2001).
2. "Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!".
3. "The Young Pope".
4. "Horace and Pete".
5. "Twin Peaks" (2017).
6. "Cucumber".
7. "Summer Heights High".
8. "Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace".
9. "Monty Python's Flying Circus"
10. "Nirvanna the Band the Show".

Honorable mentions (in alphabetical order:

"Aku no Hana"
"Arrested Development" (2013)
"Come Fly with Me"
"Confession" (1998)
"Enlightened"
"Kickstarter TV"
"The Mighty Boosh"
"Nathan for You"
"The OA"