AV Club loves everything Kate Leth writes

>AV Club loves everything Kate Leth writes
>Major Spoilers podcast thinks Mockingbird has good, witty writing
>Matt from 2BF likes pregnant Spiderwoman for the wrong reasons
>No one's taking Bendis to task for Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo

Are we in a bubble here in Sup Forums? Does everyone else like these comics and we're the only ones in this chamber of hate that criticizes them?

Who cares?

But I have to be right about my superior taste

Sales figures are the only thing that matters.
Most websites fawn over shit for being politically correct and Sup Forums despises shit for likewise. It's not about who's right, it's about who better represents the actual market.
On that note, last I heard marvel's sales were tanking. Is that still true?

>Paid shills like garbage

Big surprise

Kate Leth doesn't get a critical look, basically, and neither does Mockingbird since people went nuts about it online in their desperate hunger for Controversy (on either side).

I don't know what "the wrong reasons" for pregnant Spiderwoman are: IMO that book was actually pretty passable for the 5 or so issues of it I read (didn't go past the Skrull kid arc) but the reasons behind it are fucking terrible. The writer just had a baby and he wanted to write about some superhero having a baby, in contradiction to a bunch of stuff in Jess' past. And what a stupid reason to have a baby in-universe!

OTOH, plenty of people HAVE cut into Bendis for Civil War 2. Especially at the start - I get the impression everything is just waiting for it to be over now.

It really comes down to this: these sites might present a unified opinion, but their fanbases won't. And as Sup Forums is an all-fanbase community, it will never have a unified opinion. Not everyone on the board will share your or mine opinion of these things. There is someone on Sup Forums who genuinely loves Civil War 2.

Seeing as every comic you mentioned was a a commercial disaster, I think it's safer to say those groups exist in a separate bubble of their own.

>Is that still true?
sept 2016 sales for them were higher than aug 2016 and sept 2015, soooo no?

Why browse shill sites to read their '''''reviews''''' of certain comics? Stop asking about her cancelled comic and let it be forgotten.

>Are we in a bubble here in Sup Forums?
Well Sup Forums IS a bubble about a lot of things.

They just may not be these things.

Remember when the media said Cisbusters was the greatest movie ever made, then flopped horribly?

I agree about Leth and Mockingbird

Have no idea why there hasn't been more backlash to Bendis, seems like mostly a shrug from people

>Remember when the media said Cisbusters was the greatest movie ever made, then flopped horribly?
Well, to be fair, no, I don't.

[citation needed]

>Cisbusters

The fuck? So weird to see Sup Forums complain about a lack of trans representation

id fuck her

This

What Sup Forums IS in a bubble about, for example, is Snyder's Batman.
>sold 100k+ for 52 issues and upwards to and past 120k+ for most issues
>all volumes sell more than other DC shit
>first vol is like DKR, TKJ, etc where it reliably sells 20k+ trades each year
>critically acclaimed literally everywhere else
>Sup Forums insists the entire run is shit and nobody likes it and those that do like it have bad taste

>I agree about Leth and Mockingbird

Fascinating.
Tell us more about your struggle with brain damage.

haha

If anything, the latest US election proved that urban coastal elites are the ones in a bubble.

comics aren't taken serious as a medium so people are way more lenient when it comes to criticism against them (and I don't mean characters acting differently or whatever I mean writing, art, etc.) if you show a neutral person something like from hell and civil war chances are that person would think both are good, shit they might even think civil war is far superior.

go back to Sup Forums

we know people like it, but it is shit. you are a fucking retard if you judge how good a comic is by how reliably it sells. civil war sells.

No, it's just
>we have to put them over or else they stop giving us exclusive previews and interviews
Y'know, like games journalism. It's the same shit.

Look at this little rich faggy boy that can't stand others opinions.

I think Comics Alliance has a whole series dedicated to mocking CW2. Or at the very least recapping how poorly it's turning out.

This is a live action movie board not a politics board, faggot.

Not that user, but I suspect it's more that you're directly bringing politics into the conversation.

This is a tv and movies board not a politics board

Reality happened, Sup Forumsmblr. Higgins is a total libcuck who had an election night freakout like all those Marvel creatives, but he also owns his own small business and his numbers don't lie.

American comics and cartoons are now inseparable from politics, you can't expect people not to bring them in.

>American comics and cartoons are now inseparable from politics
Only to the extent any piece of media is.

Like this screencap is relevant, but is absolutely isn't a stand-in for a whole separate political debate.

That's gonna keep being an issue until internet journalism finds a more stable income base.

There's no shame in not being manipulated by Marvel.

It's not like we just hate everything they put out.
I love Ewing's books and King's Vision was wonderful.

Taking anything the AV Club says seriously...

>women are funny, deal with it
Oh NYTimes, what would I do without you.

>Only to the extent any piece of media is.
You're really ignorant if you believe this.
Show me a non-satyrical european cartoon or comic where an active political figure is an actual part of the cast.

Which comic book are you speaking about specifically, here?

Nope. They were on top last month.

He's right, but I don't really know what his post has to do with comic books.

They were barely on top because they did another relaunch with new #1s. It won't last.

Not at all.
Their constant relaunches and events are still working from a sales perspective, and the big sellers like Spider-Man and Star Wars just consistently do great.
Black Panther is holding surprisingly strong numbers. Most of their new books tank after a few issues, making way for new launches a few months later.

Is the right reason because of a pregnancy fetish? Or is THAT the wrong reason?

Not-Trudeau in Civil War 2.

How long did it take you to realise that Sup Forums is an echo chamber for the most contrarian comic and cartoon fans on the planet?

>people at conventions

But aren't they? I've always thought they're the hardcore audience, the event buyers.

Social shut in here, forgive my ignorance on the subject.

what's his company because books aren't comics.

Okay, I guess. I'm not reading CW2 so I don't know how serious or impactful or satirical that is. I don't think that that fully represents American comics as a medium and defines the whole of American comics as being uniquely inseparable from politics, all the same.

Yeah I think he's saying a pregnancy fetish is the only reason to like it.
Even though she isn't pregnant anymore.

DC's relaunch already faded, Marvel's back, DC must respond with a relaunch or enjoy eternal 2nd place again.

Deal.

It's a mix.

Spider Woman was fine, though.

It's a mixed bag.
Tons go to the big ones just for fun, or for non-comics stuff.

The funny part was all the backpedaling once it was agreed upon to be sub-par, underperforming movie.

People were going back on their opinions, now that the coast was clear.

Comics Conspiracy in Sunnyvale, California.
A few retailers, not just that guy, have been complaining that their sell-through numbers are awful. Right now they have the illusion of slight dominance.

>Marvel' back
No, it isn't. Rebirth was only hindered by scholastica mass ordering champions #1. The 2nd issue will suffer a big fall due to it, since now they know that it's not exactly kid friendly.

It's Marvel's big event, it's pretty fucking significant.
Not that there aren't any other examples of political involvment in other comics, like that fat fuck Faith and her comic with Hillary, not-Obama being Superman in another Earth or Batman fighting for BLM.

Yet you don't see Tex or Asterix or Luffy talking about muslims.
It's american special flavor of fucking shit and you and this board cannot escape it.

Not-Trudeau never appeared in CWII, only Captain Marvel, and he's the main villain of Captain Marvel so doesn't that actually go against the whole "Marvel is a liberal mind-control factory" argument?

>It's Marvel's big event, it's pretty fucking significant.
>pretty fucking significant
>doesn't appear a single time in the event itself
OK.

Okay dude. I don't think those are exact comparisons or the Marvel/Valiant political stuff is as big a deal as you do.

Pls

>only top 20 performer for DC not related to Batman is Flash

The signs are there, they're already regressing. Rebirth is finished.

Internet "journalism" is a meme-industry created by the leftist blogger elite to suppress conservative opinions. It doesn't need a "more stable income base," it needs to be elimated entirely.

>I-it's not in the comic titled CIVIL WAR 2!!!!

Jesus you dumbfucks are desperate.
It's an integral part of the EVENT called CW2 which spans across mutliple titles.

> he's the main villain of Captain Marvel

Yes he's the villain of the woman that it's blatantly trying to be a tumblr version of Hitler.
Can you do 2+2? Come on, try.

>this is what Marvelshills actually believe
Haha oh fucking wow, are you fucking serious right now with this shit? Is this seriously the level of delusion that Marvelshills have fallen to?

Pathetic.

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what it IS and what it is is a vehicle for the writers' opinions on current events, in a way that no other comics industry is.

And the thing about opinions is, when you say yours people are going to offer you a rebuttal. Deleting them is useless.

And the only Marvel books are first issues, Civil War, and two Star Wars books.

Shit, Flash #9 juuuuust edged out two Bendis launches.

>Yes he's the villain of the woman that it's blatantly trying to be a tumblr version of Hitler.
Isn't she supposed to be the physical manifestation of tumblr?

And no, don't be a retard. Just because Captain Marvel's main villain of her ongoing showed up in her ongoings tie-in doesn't mean that he's somehow SUPER-INTEGRAL to CWII which completely fucking ignores her ongoing anyways. By that logic, the main villains of CWII are:
>The Maker
>The Americops
>Anti-man
None of whom had any involvement in CWII whatsoever other than appearing in ongoings that were tie-ing in.

Seriously, please explain to me how he was integral and a super-important part of the event? How was his involvement in Captain Marvel's ongoing 1. "pretty fucking significant' to civil war II, and 2. how he is some horrible unacceptable political commentary?

>pregnant Spiderwoman

Speaking of which, did they ever explain how she was still able to fight crime and shit without all the supervillains just aiming for her huge belly?

It was protected by a force field.
No, that doesn't make sense at all as to why people don't just cover themselves in force fields all the time.

>sales are an indicator of quality
but I've found Sup Forums generally does have better or at least broader taste than the average cape reader

You know, putting "super" in front of what I said doesn't convince others of anything, they can still read my posts.
He's integral because he's an importan person in the story of one of the two MOST important character in the even. What your super-retard ass can't seem to grasp is that saying super-dumb shit like

> which completely fucking ignores her ongoing anyways

doesn't make it like, omg super-true.

> how he is some horrible unacceptable political commentary?

See this is what you really wanted to point out. Maybe when you won't be like, a super-imbecile you'll figure out what context is and why I was talking about him in the first place.

You seem to be evading the question just like you're accusing others of doing, m8.

>It was protected by a force field.

Mouseshill pls go.

Baby bump had padding over it

Let's just say, there's a reason comics only sell 100,000 at best.

Internet and vidyas?

>>Matt from 2BF likes pregnant Spiderwoman for the wrong reasons

He also thought AvX was good, dude has the worst opinions on everything.

No, they weren't.
They didn't get number one even, despite the dirty tricks they pulled to boost Champions sales.
And Top 10? Just 4 titles in, one of which is Darth Vader. Even Clone Conspiracy didn't make Top 10, despite the begging.
DC equally had 4 titles in the Top 10. But that doesn't mean they did as good as DC did. They actually did worse.
Marvel only had 18 titles in the top 50 comics, while DC had 29.
And also keep in mind, that Marvel put out a lot of #1 issues last month, which most of them didn't sell so well, considering they're #1's.
So no, just because Champions got #2 because dirty tricks and Sorcerers Supreme #3 because of the movie, Marvel didn't top shit. They still got BTFO, this month too.

marvel:disney:jews

remenber children: if you don,t like marvel youre nazis ,Be good goyim and come back.

?

>listening to 2BF about comics
they're marvelcucks exclusively and Matt is a huge SJW

The feeling that none of it matters, only being retconned the fuck out and disposable?

>none of it matters
cut that shit out, a story's quality has nothing to do with its importance to the "canon"

>Listening to their podcast at all
It's about 2 hours of boring bullshit, 10 minutes of shilling, 20 minutes of Matt derailing the conversation to talk about LU, 5 minutes of Matt trying to get everyone to shut up to make a hitty joke, and 10 minutes of actually fun conservations. And all of the good stuff gets loaded unto Youtube anyway.

Except that it does. Marvel originally started out as developing a growing world based on the idea of how fantastic beings would function in our world, but gradually gave way to the same non-movement that existed in other properties, layering retcons on retcons and lack of internal consistency. Removal of the audience's investment makes it so they simply stop consuming it.

You know exactly hat he meant.

>There is someone on Sup Forums who genuinely loves Civil War 2.

if there is, they dont post

no one who posts seems happy with it

It does, to a certain kind of "people".

>Marvel and DC were chasing Image audience

I think there's definitely some truth to this. DC and Marvel saw smaller indie companies carving out a place for themselves in the market and sort of panicked. Yeah, these smaller companies got a share of the market, but it was a niche on and nothing more. The people reading those comics probably weren't going to be reading of of the big two's stuff anyway, so there really wasn't any real competition in terms of competing for demographics. But some dumbass boardroom execs probably saw that the "competition" was growing and took it as a direct threat, so they mandated that there be a big push for these markets without a second thought. Once again, greedy shits ruining it for everyone.

it really doesn't

Civil War is probably one of the most important stories to Marvel's canon from the last 15~ years, and it's absolute trash. Nextwave is so unimportant to the canon that it's only vaguely canon, yet it's one of the best comics of the last 20 years

Every online forum/community is an echo chamber. Nothing new about this. Pissy little newfags on both sides of the current "debates" are just that, ignorant little newfags.

WALLY BUMP

i doubt they were after the Image audience, since everybody already knows what marvel would need to do to have remender, hickman, brubaker, bkv, etc (big Image names) back into their fold: better deals for creators' OC and freedom from ""events"""

>Are we in a bubble here in Sup Forums?
No, the mainstream nerd media is as much of an agenda pushing pile of shit as the rest of the media. They're not there to tell you what comics are actually good, merely to point you towards the "acceptable" comics or what Marvel wants you to buy.

why get the big Image names back when you can have webcomic creators for a third of the price?

>DC and Marvel saw smaller indie companies carving out a place for themselves in the market and sort of panicked.

Naw, for the most part it's the same people reading Marvel/DC/Image. The comic book audience is so small, that the the sector of people that read comics but would never read Marvel/DC is statistically insignificant. I doubt they went after them, but I would agree they tried to go for the tumblr/social media crowd.

And I don't think they failed, in the big picture kind of way.

What about Civil War existed in a way that truly moved characters forward in development?
Most characters affected have returned from death/memories reset to an earlier state /reconciled with those who ended up on opposing sides. Simply a circular illusion of progress.

Meanwhile, despite Nextwave's near-absurdist tone, it does have a progression of characters to the point it redefined the status quo of characters and had introspective looking on superhero culture, fundamentally rejecting the very idea of separation between the self as a human and as a superpowered being. Compare this to ones that are also strange in tone but simply sell you back familiarity like Wolverine and the X-Men.

Good stories affect the canon because they are good, not the other way around