Zack Snyder's Snow Steam Iron

A Short Film by Zack Snyder

youtube.com/watch?v=gX71P3R4smQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wOvvpGb_FMQ
youtu.be/WVRUFhqlSqc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Was pretty cool, he did that with a cellphone and most big budget movies look shite in comparison

it only shows you have to be talented to come up with this stuff.
Very impressive, well made.

What a fuckin shit.

Brainlet here. What happened?

who

Snyder's adopted daughter died, he stepped away from directing/post production duties on Justice League to grieve, filmed a little movie with family and friends to just show he's coping.

This was shot w/ an iphone?

Looks great desu.

A Zack Snyder short film... so let me guess it's about an hour and 1/2 long?

Yes

why don't you watch the clip and find out instead of being a snarky barky.

yeah with iphone
with some fucking expensieve lense rig
and was edited by a pro colorist

fucking hack needs to put slo mo even in his shorts

kek show me your work user

What did Zack mean by this?

>Daughter who died was half-Asian
>Makes short about old-timey Asian prostitute going on a rampage after years of abuse at the hands of TPTB

Not even memeing, what the FUCK did he mean by this?

he is accepting he did poorly. seeking redemption.
pure kino.

That looks fucking sick brah.

Why?

Better than most movies. Absolute Madman

It's fucking beautiful.

Actually really nice

What song would you rewatch it to?

youtube.com/watch?v=wOvvpGb_FMQ

it fits perfectly

Snow Steam Iron also exists as a proof of concept. The other thing Snyder has been doing in the last few months, besides prepping his next two movies (more on those in a minute), has been planning to teach a film basics course at his alma mater, ArtCenter College of Design. According to Snyder, he wants the class to instill a sense that anyone with a phone can make a movie—but he realized as he was planning it that he’d never done it himself. The short, then, is a way for him to “make sure I’m not telling these kids something that isn’t true.”

That’s not to say Snyder used just a phone. He also deployed a Zeiss ExoLens and mount, a couple of smartphone camera rigs, a Kessler Pocket Dolly for tracking shots, and the FiLMiC Pro app to control the camera’s settings. Oh, and a DJI drone for aerial shots. Those tools ensured that he could make something that looks every bit like a Zack Snyder film. And it does—right down to the dark hues and slow-mo violence. ”

and have money
and have a crew
and full lighting department
and talented actors
and professional post production team
who gives a fuck if it was shot on an iphone. thats just the choice of camera.

Didn't his daughter die? Shouldn't he be more focused on that?

exactly
so the idea that anyone with a phone can make this is completely preposterous
the use of phones in film schools is the worst thing to happen to the teaching of the subject since hack out of work tutors

based Zack

George Washington movie when?? Get on it Snyder

The dolly is 400ish and the drone is 400ish. Big deal. Get a job or cry me a river.

and the entire crew?
the lighting?
the post production?
the actors?
this short probably cost upwards of 10k
but its on an iphone, so anyone can do it

How do you think people mourn? By staring into a wall hoping for an inevitable cerebral hemorrhage?

What entire crew? You think he paid those 6 actors? If you're going to make any sort of film you probably aren't going to want to do it by yourself in your bedroom. You're missing the point just so you can shriek like a woman.

you dont know how to make films user
there was a 1st AD, most likely a 2nd AD, producer, line producer, dop, a rigging crew, grips, dolly operators, focus pullers, production design, set dressers, costume design, prop masters, camera operators, production sound recordists, boom ops, sound design, colorists, editors, sound mixers, all of the actors, then transport, accommodation, location permits, and the list goes on
he used an iphone instead of a typical camera
that is the only difference between this and a typical short, and he barely used an iphone at that. it had lens rigs.
im not boo hooing about anything, but to celebrate this as a short shot on a phone is nonsense.

Lets assume, for the barest second, the only cost was the thousand dollar dolly and film rings.

The idea that hes an established filmmaker, to you, has zero bearing on the abilitiy of the guy to pull together a movie shoot for free with competent people?

You either need money or prestige to do make something decent.

"has been to film school fag" here.
You are wrong.
Assuming that phones today are good enough to substitute a proper camera (i don't believe they are cause of the shit dynamic range which you can notice in Snyder's film as well), the second most expensive parts are: lighting, props, costumes, good locations which you may have to rent.

Indeed actors in film school will work for free cause they are students. You can even convince the teachers to play in your movie if you need older people, but the fact remains that what Snyder did is not really doable by a student unless his parents are loaded.

On the other hand you can do the editing and coloring by yourself cause it's not rocket science. Hell, I even did my own sound design when I was in school. The fact that you can do most of the stuff for free, doesn't eliminate the reality that there are some other stuff that are expensive as fuck. Those other stuff play a very big role in making a movie look the way it looks.

But who said shooting film is free?

Liberal children

even if the actors are free, craft services, transportation, accommodation, are not
i doubt he got anyone to work for free on this
this cost thousands

applauding this for being shot on an iphone is like applauding the barrel scene in the hobbit for being shot on gopros
the camera makes no difference

kinda lame. zero static shots, the camera wont fucking sit still for a hot second, starts to get really redundant. typical gritty content, unremitting and unambiguous violence and obscenity absolutely obliterates the chance of any subtlety whatsoever. utter failure to effectively use a non-linear narrative form - the plot is chopped up in all sorts of ways but for no apparent reason.

asia is a good actress, use of varied depth of field was great, especially the early shot of her sitting in front of the police car, but the shot is focused to the car in the background rather than her in the foreground.

What a waste of time.

His only good movies are Watchmen and the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Fact.

I think you're all missing the point. Back in the day it cost a small fortune for young independent movie makers to make a shoe strung budget movie due to the cost of film stock and the camera equipment, not to mention developing it in a lab. And it could take years to finish a feature length one since you would most likely only afford to shoot it only in short segments before you ran out of money and needed to gather more funds.

Now you arguably just need an iPhone and editing software, both of which you most likely have already acquired. It's never been easier to become a film maker. Shooting movies with an iPhone is already a thing in festival circuits.

You're obviously not going to make something as good looking as Snyder's short film, but you can do something close to it if you're talented enough to work around the limitations.

I don't disagree with you. Just picturing the best case scenario in which a student might do something similar to what Snyder did.

In my school you could get away without feeding a small army because of the structure of the school. We had classes for directing, screenwriting, acting, dop, etc.

At the end of every semester EVERYONE had to present a short film. This meant that as an actor you could play in a very shitty movie but if you did a good job, you got top marks and so on. This forced us to work togheter cause it was in our own best interest. When shooting started, it was every man for himself. You brought your own food, transportation, etc.

I was studying film directing so indeed I had to deal with a lot more shit than your average actor, but it was manageable. That being said, there's no way in hell I would have been able to film something like that in film school without having at least 10k.

Holy fuck that was based
This makes the pain of Justice League a little more bearable

>This makes the pain of Justice League a little more bearable

Snyder fans of delusional.

there was none of that shit, that was the entire point of this
just look at the set pics, it was a skeleton crew
>ie. him and maybe 3 others at most behind the camera

you're full of shit and butthurt that Snyder did something so amazing with so little

you have no idea what youre talking about son
every crew member i mentioned would have been on set. do you think the fucking cam op was the lighting rigger or the spark? do you think snyder whipped up a paella for the cast and crew? do you think they just popped a microphone on the floor and plugged it into the headphone jack?
dont be a fucking idiot mate

You're literally clinically retarded
t. an actual filmmaker

I think Zack has been watching a little too much anime

you arent a filmmaker and you dont know what you are talking about in the slightest
t. an actual filmmaker who has shot several shorts entirely on their own that have been in festivals all over the world for the last few years

>where did the costumes come from? how much did they cost?
>how much do you think it costs to rent HMIs for 2-3 days of shooting
>where did that head come from? did Snyder decapitate someone before shooting or was it made by a professional?
>where did that cop car come from?
>how did that guy got his teeth blown from his mouth? did snyder do that for real

should I continue?

All of this shit adds up. If you don't believe me and that other user that tries to convince you, you should try making a short film. Try to make it as good as possible. Count how much money you have left in the pocket when you finish it.

>Watchmen
>good movie

Great Work. B R A V O

Tangerine was better and much more authentic

>Literally empowered woman decapitates the patriarchy (i.e Chronos)
>LE NUMALES HATE SNYDER
>BACK TO RED IT XD

More of the same pseudo-intellectual artsy action schlock. It looks good by all means, but nothing deep or meaningful really.

The idea that "anyone can do it" is implying, ya know, lack of cost dependency.

The lowest budget movie that made a real splash was primer and carruth spent 7k of his own money AND four years of his life on that.

>tfw look up blair witch project to argue
>Budget: 60 000

Holy fuck that's crazy. Its a really great film all things considered, but I was still surprised. Also Primer is GOAT for that tiny amount of money.

primer is pretty huge for 7k, but, the fact he had to spend four years of his life editing it himself also represents a huge cost. Its that whole thing about how, when making a movie, you're in a situation where its

>time
>money
>quality
>pick two

Quality is going to cost either time or money, money will sacrifice quality or time, time will sacrifice money or quality. Primer is an example of time and quality.

also everyone made fun of the idea that someone was walking around with 50k in their pocket after blair witch.

Can someone tell me what was the story in the short?

>zack snyder
>storye

>cop wants to fuck her cause she's a prostitute
>spanks her cause he's into some kinky stuff
>she is just a n00b so over react and slashes his face
>(entirely stolen from watchmen)
>cop wants revenge
>gets his pals to executes her
>she goes full Sasuke
>she then gets arrested

I could really tell it was a bad Sin City rip off, with the cops and the whore being at odd with each others

> 2nd highest comment is a DCpajeet
can't make this up

Lol I hate DCpajeets.

What's next for Zack?

Hopefully, his Revolutionary War movie.

obscurity

>tasteless nudity
>nonsensical gore and violence
>music video aesthetics
>strong female characters as an excuse to have scantily clad women doing "badass" things
Is /ourguy/ back?

Well he is a Commercial Director after all

Someone make a guide to symbolism in Snow Steam Iron

He adapts The Fountainhead and all the Hollywood liberals drop his Randroid ass like a hot potato

>tasteless nudity
>American detected

And finding people to finance the movie is part of making the movie, you fucking retard. Obviously Snyder is establsished but directors who aren't bust their ass making this shit possible. No one said making a movie is easy, you really need to be passionate about and accept that you probably won't make any money off of it, hire friends and family to act and work as crew. This shit has been going on for decades in independent cinema and now with phones it's even easier.

>zero budget iPhone film by Zack Snyder looks better than $250 million film by Joss Whedon with Seamus McGarvy as DP
Fuck yeah

What are some other short films by big name directors available to watch online?

youtu.be/WVRUFhqlSqc
Ninja Ko, dir. Rian Johnson

Wow, 25 years later directing a Star Wars movie, inspiring.

women are actually strong and good and brave and you have been sucker punched with that fact.

If he was directing a Star Wars sequel with the blessing of real arists that would be something. Instead he's killing his childhood following up JJ Abram's mess of a universe. It's sad.