Has film music lost its magic? I can't think of a memorable film score of recent years...

Has film music lost its magic? I can't think of a memorable film score of recent years. Have composers run out of idea or did all the good ones die?

youtu.be/e9yk54vfoTk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs
youtube.com/watch?v=BuqY3IV76jI
youtu.be/7V-9X35vB4M
youtube.com/watch?v=4pqxRCUp4r0
youtube.com/watch?v=kRZAk2rfESU
youtube.com/watch?v=YyAIrRjkcc4
youtube.com/watch?v=94TAFSMdkvk
youtube.com/watch?v=LO2uPU53qds
youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac
youtube.com/watch?v=Xjwqk7TWEwg
youtube.com/watch?v=Hdm5EkaPdeY
youtu.be/-goKj_MSjzY
youtu.be/upsR80YmwWc
youtube.com/watch?v=6qlPoNKa9sI
youtube.com/watch?v=sYD_U1CChew
youtube.com/watch?v=_fO-lUQE5bs
youtube.com/watch?v=gPtPxqTdkig
youtube.com/watch?v=vewyNlWPwYk&index=1&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=j9rXT8YiZhU&index=3&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=yeP9IaPxtEM&index=9&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=GmEacRJsgG0&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8&index=15
youtube.com/watch?v=Tax3z5R3NLg&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8&index=19
youtube.com/watch?v=Jsou32_uaDY&index=21&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=A312Bnf0DdA&index=22&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=d0b6XC2r2cQ&index=24&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtu.be/i1QwC-y3XMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Directors and producers tell the composers to copy the temp music as much as possible.

Why not five the freedom to the composer?

I think it's probably that they're given less and less time to compose properly. So most of them rehash old themes, like Zimmer whose most tracks in a film are variations on the same themes. Doesn't mean they're bad soundtracks but they often sound way too similar.

This. Film scoring, like every part of the industry, is completely cookie cutter now.

This is a really good video. I don't know what Sup Forums thinks of this channel, I've never actually watched any of their other videos, but I think this video is good.

Forgot link, I'm stupid.

youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

*give

Thomas Newman doesn't score enough films.

youtube.com/watch?v=BuqY3IV76jI

>corporate movie assembling line
>freedom
lmao look at this bozo

Does that mean James Horner crashed the plane himself because he had enough of actual music, or did Zimmer hack the plane?

>Newman has been nominated for fourteen Academy Awards
well fuck me

He had run out of ideas long before the crash. Avatar pretty much sounds like Mighty Joe Young from OP.

the only recent ones I could remember was Fury Road, Neon Demon and BvS and that's pushing

Interstellar?

you probably remembering music from fury road because you heard it in few other movies xD

TEMP
R
A
C
K

I can't think of anything good to come out of the Marvel universe. Iron Man had a good theme. That was about it. Spider-Man by Elfman long before Marvel went to shit had a memorable theme used throughout the trilogy.

>I just watched le every frame le painting video
I can distinctively remember at least 4 tracks from fury road so go fuck yourself and your reddit channel

Drive has a great soundtrack, somehow I watched a rip where it credits Angelo Badalamenti as the composer and I believe it until I read the credit list on IMDb saying Cliff Martínez.

Sad Cliff didn't pull out nothing else decent after it.

He did Only God Forgives which has an amazing OST

>tfw goosebumps hearing this

youtu.be/7V-9X35vB4M

I don't know if it's recent enough but the soundtrack to Moon (2009) is pretty good tier if you ask me.
youtube.com/watch?v=4pqxRCUp4r0

One theory is that all the great modern themes were jacked from old classical stock archives. Star Wars etc supposedly came from these sources.

Generic Orchestral Farfare #5678

Generic March #95464

That sort of thing.

The problem was, that after Star Wars got big, and Williams was the king, everyone cottoned on raided those archives until nothing was left. Which is why you occasionally hear really amazing themes on shitty Roger Corman movies from back in the day.

The soundtrack in Prometheus struck me as memorable, though wasted on a clusterfuck of a film

youtube.com/watch?v=kRZAk2rfESU

Compare this to Zimmer's OST, which is still decent, but didn't feel like Batman at all and sounded similar to everything else Zimmer has done.

The old films were partly comedy and lighthearted. Nolan's series was serious and so Zimmer made an appropriate score. Actually a very decent score to the first one.

I enjoyed Zimmer's scores, and still do, but they just didn't feel like Batman to me at all. I still regularly listen to the original movie's soundtrack because it's so good and iconic, can't say that I've listened to Zimmer's tracks again anytime in the past few years though.

Each of Nolan's movies had good music though, specifically these pieces:
youtube.com/watch?v=YyAIrRjkcc4
youtube.com/watch?v=94TAFSMdkvk
youtube.com/watch?v=LO2uPU53qds

Jablonsky is a pretty good, underrated composer. His Transformer score is actually pretty damn good too, never listened to any of the music for the sequels though, don't even know if he composed them.

youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac

Sicario's OST is pretty good in my opinion guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xjwqk7TWEwg
youtube.com/watch?v=Hdm5EkaPdeY

Heard them all. Only the first is good. Rest were shit. He did Gears of War 2 also.

Hell yes.

Rush and Interstellar were good but I agree that Zimmer seems to rehash his stuff for the most part.

youtu.be/-goKj_MSjzY

Zimmer 's best.

this

Literally made the film 10 times more intense. The whole rush into Mexico without music would be a complete waste.

>no one's mentioned Oneohtrix Point Never's spectacular score for Good Time

Y'all motherfuckers need to get with it.
youtu.be/upsR80YmwWc

How much of the blame could be put on the director as opposed to the composer? As in if the director does not know how to properly use music to enhance the scene then he probably doesn't care enough to get a good composer to provide a good score and just requires something generic and cookie cutter. So if we want more great scores is the issue with the composers or trying to encourage better directors who know how to use music?

youtube.com/watch?v=6qlPoNKa9sI
youtube.com/watch?v=sYD_U1CChew
was pleasantly surprised by both of these when they came out

I loved the soundtrack in Noah:
youtube.com/watch?v=_fO-lUQE5bs

And most everything Clint Mansell has done.

Action kino coming through: youtube.com/watch?v=gPtPxqTdkig

Hail, Caesar had a fantastic score
youtube.com/watch?v=vewyNlWPwYk&index=1&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=j9rXT8YiZhU&index=3&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=yeP9IaPxtEM&index=9&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=GmEacRJsgG0&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8&index=15
youtube.com/watch?v=Tax3z5R3NLg&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8&index=19
youtube.com/watch?v=Jsou32_uaDY&index=21&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=A312Bnf0DdA&index=22&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8
youtube.com/watch?v=d0b6XC2r2cQ&index=24&list=PLeNErtgP0mU85vV-QdBcla_AqzDegYHj8

Watch Koyaanisqatsi

>ain't nobody got time for that

when people say soundtrack instead of score it makes me legitimately angry holy shit

It Follows is like the new Halloween soundtrack wise. The score made that film.

youtu.be/i1QwC-y3XMc