Post average at best films itt

STRAIGHT FROM MY HEART FUCKER

I guess it is pretty average if you are not into Lynch

t. heineken drinker

But that's a masterpiece user. Did you click the wrong pic?

Dennis Hopper in this is my fucking favorite "villain".

I know this is probably bait but I do thinking it's average for Lynch, he did the whole "abused woman in trouble" schtick much better in Fire Walk With Me. Even though I still like the movie, Isabella Rosselini's character is much less relatable / pitiable than Laura Palmer

Pic unrelated btw

>he did the whole "abused woman in trouble" schtick much better in Fire Walk With Me.
Now THIS is bait.
Blue Velvet isn't an "abused woman in trouble" schtick.
It's a neo-noir where the main character is drawn into an ugly world he was oblivious to, and finds it brings out a side to him he never knew existed.
It's 'shtick' is the dark underbelly of a perfect town - and it is done best in Blue Velvet, where you see the effects it has on the characters.
Compare it to say Twin Peaks - where Agent Cooper is the pinnacle of goodness from the start, and that never changes (except the 4 lines of dialogue in 30 episodes where its mentioned he had an affair with Windom's wife).
Trivializing Blue Velvet to 'abused woman' really shows you missed the point.

I love him in Waterworld. Fucking hilarious performance

I meant Isabella's character not the movie as a whole, I agree with your other points, just that her character wasn't as good as FWWM or even MD

Is Kyle MacLachlan part of the Lynchian pedophile elite TM group?

bravo user. it takes courage to criticize Lynch on Sup Forums. this board has a cult fascination with the guy.

No movie that shows Kyle's magnum DONG could be considered "average at best".

Well, I'd say that depends.
On one hand sure, Laura is a character with more depth. On the other hand, she's a character with depth because a TV series revolved around her, and you learnt what people thought of her, what she wrote in the diary, how she acted on video, and later what she did in secret. You don't really get that if you take the film on it's own - with the context of the series Laura is a good character who some may relate to. When it comes to FWWM, I wouldn't say so.
Not that that makes the movie bad. I've heard people say they really liked FWWM when it was the only 'Twin Peaks' they've watched - because it was so wild.

>Everyone's eyes are distinctly blue
>Isabella's are green
Why'd she have to go and ruin it.
I also like that the names actually match the pictures.

I just watched this for the first time the other day.

Felt good to watch a non-shity movie. Also the first Dennis scene was disturbing in such a good way

>BABY WANTS TO FUCK

this movie was an ugly woman's fantasy.

Why would Machadlan get with a nose like Dern?
Everytime Derp cries I want to break her fucked up nose even more.

All of Nolan's filmography
All of Fincher's Filmography
The imitation game

Well it was either he, or the woman he helped abuse.
She was probably a safer option.

Laura Dern was fuggin top tier in Wild at Heart
wew lad she gets my wee wee hard in that flick

Much less relatable? Most people can't relate to Laura Palmer either. And Laura Palmer has about the same depth as Isabella's character. Plus Laura Palmer doesn't really have that strong of a personality besides being afraid of Bob and being the popular girl.

I agree with your points about Laura being more developed with more screentime. I guess in Blue Velvet Dorothy didn't need to be as well developed as Laura, but then that goes back to my main point that Twin Peaks was able to do the "seedy underbelly of a normal town" and "woman in trouble" better than Blue Velvet. I think he was wrong overall but I can see where Ebert was coming from when he said Dorothy's character basically exists to get beaten around and show Frank's a bad guy, whereas Laura was a lot more than that.

Subjective feelings about the character aside I don't see how you could see Laura and Dorothy as having the same depth. For Dorothy all we really know about her is she's a singer, her son is being held hostage and she gets off on being beaten up. Laura we knew her life and death, why she turned out the way she was, how she felt about it and how she rebelled, through a series based around her, and not to mention a movie and book solely about her

When we're you saying Twin Peaks did 'dark underbelly' better? I thought you said you agreed with my points, it was just about Laura and abuse you were talking about.
Dorothy doesn't exist solely to be beaten by Frank - she exists as a character who challenges how Jeffrey thinks and acts. For example he wants to help her, but also finds himself abusing her - it may 'satisfy' her, and himself, but that's what he's meant to save her from.
Dorothy is there to show one side of Jeffrey's life, which later collides with another (Sandy).
The comparable character to Laura is Jeffrey - not Dorothy.

About the underbelly thing, someone replied to me earlier saying that so i assumed it was the same user

But that's an interesting way of looking at Dorothy that I hadn't really thought about.