Real sets, practical effects

>Real sets, practical effects

Do normies even care about CGI/practical effects? It seems bizarre that they made this so integral in their marketing campaign.

Never mind the fact that the finished movie had as much CGI in it as any other modern big budget blockbuster, except for a few obvious set pieces, like pic related and the cantina scene.

Dont even know what this is from

They were pandering to prequel haters

Why would they CGI a vulture and not an interesting space bird?

It's like all these new movies are trying to remove the aliens from Star Wars.

The Force Awakens

>Real sets, practical effects

Those are buzzwords to attract the crowd who hated the PT. And even though TFA has a bunch of green/blue screen, you have to admit that JJ built a hell of a lot more full-size stuff than Lucas did for the prequels. Lucas used scale models instead of sets and still filmed actors in front of green screen to digitially insert them later, so even though it's not CGI, it still looks fake as hell.

>G-G-GOOD PRACTICAL EFFECTS
>creates shitty bird
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
*inhales deeply*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Why not just make all the characters in Star Wars weird freaky aliens?

It helps if stuff looks relatable.

disneywars isn't about creativity

Granted that the CGI used was quite good. When I saw that VFX breakdown I was pretty surprised just how much of it was pure CGI. It's a nice blend of practicals and CGI, worked good (except for Maz and Snoke obviously)
The movie will age fine.

"normies" will go to any Star Wars movie based purely on the brand. Any advertising about the effects was not directed towards them.

>It helps if stuff looks relatable.

As in, it helps the audience relate to and understand the character. A vulture isn't a character.

>you have to admit that JJ built a hell of a lot more full-size stuff than Lucas did for the prequels
No, he didn't.
He just filmed at real locations and sets that were already there. That's why the planets looked like shit. The largest set he actually built for the movie was the Falcon. Everything else was just digitally inserted. He was too lazy to even build the throne room, which was entirely just a blue room. Most planets from the prequels looked too off world so they built many miniature cities like Mustafar, Coruscant, Utapau, Theed, and Kamino, which all had more effort put in.

>which all had more effort put in.

Sorry, didn't realize you were on the production staff. My bad.

No one cares about effort, what matters is the final result.

Nice defense, Disney shill.

This vulture represents a vulture scrapping what's left from the OT

Well, I'm claiming that more effort went into making full size sets. other user is claiming that more effort went into building scale models. There's literally no way to argue this since neither one of us has any idea how much effort actually went into either of these tasks.

Mother fucker you don't know what it's like to work for that dickhead JJ Abrams. The rest of the crew and I had to take his bullshit for over a year and half of it isn't even in the movie. I like getting paid to work doing what I do, but fuck that guy.

Practical effects are a fucking meme, but combining them with CGI is the way to go. That way, actors know what they are looking at and it doesen't look like complete garbage. It also forces some restraint on directors, so movie doesen't turn into a clusterfuck of retarded big ideas.

proof you worked on TFA

Aliens are getting worse and worse with every new movie though. So I guess it's sort of true that they're trying to remove aliens.
Just look at the aliens that they revealed for The Last Jedi. They're all just brownish/beigeish fleshy looking blobs.
There has not been a single memorable alien after Disney bought it.

Because they actually put some thought into what life the planet could plausibly support instead of throwing random shit at the wall to satisfy children.

I'm just going by what I've seen and read. That Mustafar miniature that was the size of a warehouse took over two years to build and had hundreds of people working on it, while TFA barely had a year and a half production time.

Disney is obsessed with catering to every existing niche audience to maximize their profits. you need a black, a latino, an asian, a female, a lesbian, a faggot, a trans etc... Every new alien is taking a spot they can't afford anymore. This is where they are. CONSUME DISNEY

>robot contest on Corn Flakes or something
>for kids
>little kid create a shit bird robot, paste with glue some feathers and add a latex face
>a winner is you!
>look mom my shitty bird is on the first scene of TFA!!!

My main point was that JJ put more effort into making real sets for people to walk around on that Lucas did.

Other user fired back that Lucas put more effort into models that JJ did on sets. There's literally no way to argue that either way. Even you just said they spent a long time on the Mustafar set, but I could take that long doing any task; it doesn't mean I'm putting any effort into it. I'm just saying it's impossible to argue those two points against each other and I thought it was funny that the other user posted it with such bravado like he had spreadsheets of data proving me wrong.

>I loved this movie. It's everything I ever dreamed of.

>Aaaaaaaye Don't want work
>I want to bang on the drum all day

I'm trying to think. What was the last movie out of Hollywood in genetal with really GOOD creature design?

Everybody always cites Sqid guy from POTC but other than that I think you might have to go all the way back to Phantom Menace for top notch creature design.

Originality went out the window when disney bought SW. They love demographics, test audiences and tweaking elements until it becomes banal but good enough to max their profits. SW was founded on creativity. No one even thought it would turn a profit before the first movie released. Disney just sees it as another channel to generate money. Lucas eventually did as well, but he wasn't heartless. He still cared even if his ego ruined the potential of the PT (and portions of VI).

John Carter

>JJ put more effort into making real sets for people to walk around on that Lucas did
Then show me when he did. Just grabbing a camera and shooting it at a tourist attraction doesn't count.

Hellboy

Hellboy 2 and Pan's Labyrith. that's why I believe Guillermo del Toro was qualified to make a Star Wars movie. Unofrtunately it will never happen because of Kathleen kennedy

This outside was decorated. And before you say it's just a location that's dressed up, keep in mind, the entire ROTS shoot was done INSIDE. Every outside shot was a digital effect.

There's also the Jakku town, star destroyer brudge and hallways and torture/interrogation room. There's the interiors for Starkiller Base, the Resistance Base headquarters...

Looking back I think MiB1 had the best creature designs. 3 was so so.

Its a prop.

Depends on what's focused on. The sets were generally better in TFA and at least some of the explosions were practical so they looked better as well.

Requesting the webm of Palpatine and Anakin walking in his room where the floor literally pops out of place and then back into place because its so badly executed.

And for all that effort Leia ignored Chewie after Han died. Didn't Abrams call himself a star wars fan? What kind of a fan would allow an oversight like that. He's a hack.

There was also the giant set they constructed of the forest where Rey and Kylo fight. There are all of the interior's of Maz's castle, not the mention the outiside ruins after it's been attacked were also built.

You make it sound like JJ just went to different places, did zero set decoration, and just filmed actors.

>dodge the issue
>get autistic instead

Because Leia saw that Rey was alone and afraid in an unfamiliar place, she was being a decent human bean

Do you REALLY need two chewie hugs?

>user says TFA had no effort put into shooting locales
>post picture of shooting locale and mention several others.
>YEAH, but Leia didn't hug Chewy

WOW, just wow.

practical looks better even if it looks like shit, at least you know is there physically

This.

Wrath of the Titans

It might have been a ptetty shit because Liam Neeson and Raph Fiennes both mailed it in hard but the creature design in that movie is like all time level GOAT...eccept for the Minotaur

JJ is shooting his film on Earth, he was in a UK base here and it endson an irish island. of course he doesn't need CGI planet environment. He has no imagination and the film looked like complete amateur shit. His crane and helicopter shots are truly embarrassing

Different user retards. I agree with your points about the sets. I think they look better than the cgi fest of eps II & III

They put no thought into anything. It's probably an old unused design stolen from the Lucasfilm archives.

>Different user retards

Sorry we couldn't tell on an anonymous board. You're right, we must be retarded.

The argument is about whether JJ or Lucas put more effort into building actual sets and shooting at actual locations. If you're saying you prefer the digital sets, that's fine, but it has absolutely nothing to do with whet we're talking about.

tricked the normies into thinking bb8 was 'practical effects' with that robot

The final 3 way fight in the snow on Starkiller base looked really good. That's the only scene I can really give JJ credit for. Even though it was retarded the way it eventually played out. The rest of the movie looked pretty mundane.

Rogue One on the other hand had some truly gorgous shots.

>Sorry we couldn't tell on an anonymous board
>assumed
>ok.gif
I just love shitting on JJ whenever I can. I hate that guy so much. His movies are trash. But like I said before the sets and film quality of VII was overall better than II+III. TPM actually looks decent imo. It helps that one was filmed with 35mm and used physical locations.

>l-look he added a pipe to the hangar, he put effort into it!
Stop.

There's hardly any difference between this photo and the actual hanger base, user. I've seen this base too many times on tv that it doesn't even look like it's Star Wars at all. I've seen a children's game show make this hangar base look more original.

>the entire ROTS shoot was done INSIDE
You're full of shit. Kashyyyk was filmed in China, Mustafar used real footage of a Mount Etna erupting, a lot of the film was filmed in Australia, and Naboo was filmed in Italy and Switzerland for Alderaan. That's more locations used than TFA.

>There's the interiors for Starkiller Base, the Resistance Base headquarters...
Not true at all.

>You're full of shit. Kashyyyk was filmed in China, Mustafar used real footage of a Mount Etna erupting, a lot of the film was filmed in Australia, and Naboo was filmed in Italy and Switzerland for Alderaan. That's more locations used than TFA.

The actors never went to these places. It was all done in green screen. ILM went to most of those places to film plate shots so they could digitally insert backgrounds into their mattepaintings. Every single part of ROTS with an actor in the shot was filmed inside, either on a set, or in front of green screen. Even the end of the movie that takes place at the homestead was done in front of green screen.

>>There's the interiors for Starkiller Base, the Resistance Base headquarters...
>Not true at all.

Dude, I already posted a picture of the resistance base headquarters. And do you honestly think all of the Starkiller base hallways are CGI?

>NO, JJ put int more effort!
>NO, everything was filmed indoors and everything that looked outside was digital!
>NO, the actors never went to those places!
Can you stop moving goalposts already?

Well? Your rebuttal?

But the alien sitting next to you is pretty relatable.

My argument is that JJ put more effort into building sets and filming on location.

Your only argument is that the cast of ROTS flew to Italy and China to film scenes (which they didn't) Like I already said, There is no way to argue that digital artists under Lucas put more effort into matte paintings than construction workers under JJ put into actual sets. There's no way to make that argument either way.

So either you have an argument about Lucas making more physical sets and shooting on location or you don't. I'm not moving goalposts. You are the one who keeps bringing up other shit.

cont.
My original statement was...
>>JJ put more effort into making real sets for people to walk around on that Lucas did

YOU keep bringing up digital shit because you don't have an argument.

>It seems bizarre that they made this so integral in their marketing campaign.

No, it made perfect sense, here's why:

Disney knew that the core Star Wars fans took issue with the Prequel Trilogy relying more heavily on CGI than the Originals. While Disney wasn't interested in actually making a movie for these core fans, they recognized that their opinions and acceptance would be crucial in establishing the Sequel Trilogy's credibility (and therefore its longevity) within the Star Wars franchise. So Disney made a checklist of what to avoid and what to include based on criticisms of the Prequels, then hyped these things in the build-up to Episode VII 's release.
>Practical Effects!
>Luke, Han, Leia!
>No Space Politics (at all!)!
>Remember that thing from the OT? Remember?!
The marketing campaign worked and bought VII enough time with the hardcore nerds for the movie to make $2 Billion and get the ball rolling on the next half dozen SW projects. Only after a year or two, are people now getting wise to just how bland and vacuous Nu-Star Wars actually is. Except the core fan demographic are no longer the gate keepers to what is or isn't good Star Wars. Disney's made two successful movies so far, the Force is now Female, and any criticisms made going forward will be brushed off as sour grapes from bitter EU fans.

The way it played is completely retarded for sure but I disagree with your enthusiasm. The snow scenes were way too dark. This the level of symbolism we are getting here, darkside = your screen turns dark and you can barely see any shit. And that forest didn't look natural, it looked small and fake. It was clearly a set with lots of post prod going on.

>Rogue One on the other hand had some truly gorgous shots.

I fucking love RO.

>Your only argument is that the cast of ROTS flew to Italy and China to film scenes
No one said anything about the cast having to be in those shots. And you said that everything was done indoors hence why I posted what it wasn't true.

>You are the one who keeps bringing up other shit.
You're the only one who brought up RotS. If you're going to compare with Episode 1 and 2, then TFA will lose because both of them had more scenes filmed on real locations with actors. Even Wikipedia proves it.

>YOU keep bringing up digital shit because you don't have an argument.
That was you, you fool. You're the one who brought up digital and claimed that everything outside in the RotS was digital.

remember that scene in ROTS where smoker's cough-bot did that swirling four-handed lightsaber flourish that could've easily killed obi-wan if he was trying to hit him and then mcgregor's only reaction was the kind of look you'd give a girl when she's really badly trying to flirt

>If you're going to compare with Episode 1 and 2, then TFA will lose

If we're going to compare one movie to three movies then of course the three movies have more. That's simple fucking math.

>Devise multi-generation long plan to sow the seeds of destroying the Death Star

>Multiple spies, fleets of attack ships and ground troops give their lives finally destroy it.

>Starkiller Base

>Destroyed by the janitor

That's not what I said, user. Learn to read.

all you guys saying JJ made such effort with these sets and whatnot, it really ultimately doesn't fucking matter because the movie felt so small had a dire lack of scope not only for a space fantasy but for any large hollywood blockbuster
honestly it looked and felt worse than the prequels despite being shot on superior film and given more attention to tangible sets, that's just how awful JJ and disney are, i won't bother seeing the next ones even though i feel rian is quite talented

Part of that is because they started a trilogy, thinking that it's smart to develop characters over a trilogy

You don't wait until the 2nd film to develop your main fucking characters. We got only first-act character development with Han Solo telling the protagonists what to do and where to go. That works alright, if the plot of the movie is "We need to follow Han Solo!", but it's not. They just do it because it's a path of least resistance, as any other paths are crossed out by conflict. Finn, for example, almost had actual character conflict when tasked with killing the not-death-star, but his internal conflict is cut short by an attack from the empire on the tavern-scene planet and he's suddenly conscripted into fighting for the rebels and the internal strife is gone. Congrats, Finn, the path of least resistance now aims in the same direction as everyone else's and they all want you to go to the not-death star! Guess that means you fucking go, doesn't it?

chief engineer, not janitor.

The chief engineer that put himself in charge of exhaust ports.

thought those expressions were shopped for a moment.

Why does Rey have an english accent? I don't remember any backwoods characters in SW having english accents. In fact I think it was only people from high society/educated backgrounds who had em.

Galen Erso was the Chief engineer that set his elaborate decades long plan in motion to destroy the original Death Star

Finn was the janitor that snuck into the Starkiller planet-base one day and blew it up with some grenades.

Because Kathleen kennedy likes white petite british brunettes with posh accents. It was deliberate, Mary Sue speaks like a princess despite living on her own in the desert from early age. meanwhile John Boyega has an accent too but they asked him to sound like an uneducated american despite being raised by the empire. Kathleen Kennedy likes her blacks dumb, clumsy and unsophisticated

To be fair I don't recall OT storm troopers having english accents either. Only the officers/commanders etc had the accents.

>Because they actually put some thought into what life the planet could plausibly support instead of throwing random shit at the wall to satisfy children.

Wew lad. You're talking about the movie where characters see planets exploding in the sky all the way from another stellar system, in real time.

Do you recall any of them talking jive and sweating like an animal?

Pacific Rim

Gareth Edwards is a kinoman.

The whole LE CGI IS LE SHIT XDD thing became a meme
when JewTube movie """critics""" became a fad and we all know
nu males and Sup Forumsedditors love to parrot shitty e-celeb uneducated
garbage opinions

I'd rather get cool new ideas from people with actual balls than
more shitty rehashes of the original SW movies
B-B-B-BUT IT HAS PRACTICAL EFFECTS!
Big fucking deal, it's still soulless plastic without any creativity to it

If you didn't notice this one right away you might have brain damage. It's deliberately lousy in a way that screams "look at me I'm not CGI". Back when TFA was announced even Sup Forums was saying one of the best things they could do is ditch the "digital by default" approach that the prequels had.

Just the EU stuff.

#
This. Rouge One has by far the best cinematography (shot composition and lighting) of any of the SW movies, probably getting beaten by ANH and ESB. Did you know that it was shot digitally, while TFA was 35mm film? Yet RO still looks better (and it looks like film). The special effects in RO look better too.

bump

this, practical effects is literally a meme buzzword now

this

ITT: people literally defending the low stakes, no-skill, Chinese outsourced CGI shitshow of modern moviemaking

Sad!

This desu.

Normies didn't even know the difference between practical effects and cgi until they were told that cgi is what was in the star wars prequels and practical effects mean 'real stuff'.

A lot of normies actually hate movies with practical effects though, and prefer cgi. They consider anything before 2005 'old and crappy'.