youtu.be/lauUirttVhs?t=9
youtube.com/watch?v=r23wOiCHK5E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's okay to be a brainlet user

>Apocalypse Now
>movie ends with obese man dying
aporkalypse now

It was disturbing and unsettling

How did he get so fat if he was living in the fucking jungle scavenging for food?

You didn't notice the massive cult that was catering to him day and night?

The natives were chucking bags of whoppers over the fence

He's actually a Hollywood super star user, not a grizzled psychotic war vet.

Stop trying to get it and watch something else, movies are designed to entertain even the faggit "artsy" ones.

based jackie boy

Nice matching dubs. And Brando wasn't supposed to be fat, he just refused to lose weight. Brando was actually supposed to have a larger part in the final act, but they cut his parts down because he was a fat fuck. This is also why they shot most of his scenes with shadows over his face, to hide how god damn fat he was.

But put yourself in Jacks shoes, why the fuck would you bother keeping in shape when your dick has been fucked into non existance.

I don't get the part with the surfing

>This is also why they shot most of his scenes with shadows over his face
it was a nice touch
O_o

It shows the insanity of the vietnam war pretty accurately. also martin sheen.

CHARLIE DONT SURF

It shows insanity in general. Vietnam is just the backdrop. Read Heart of Darkness

It's OK OP. Not everyone is blessed with intelligence at birth. The world needs plumbers and janitors too, you'll be fine.

original > director's cut

I'd agree with that. The Redux adds about an hour of uselessness

Fucks up the pacing a little bit, sure, but I think it's alright to have some of the French colonialism for context. I prefer the original too though

>This is also why they shot most of his scenes with shadows over his face
We should be thanking him for being such a gluttonous pig desu

It worked though.
The French perspective on colonialism is an invaluable bit of cinema.

turns out that brando's legendary performance consists him being the fat insufferable cunt that he is

*mumble mumble* straight razor *mumble*

dare is say !!

Why did Kurtz repeat "the horror" when he was dying? It was cheesy as fuck.

The horror of existence.

That's straight from the source material.

Can someone explain why this movie is so praised?
Every time people say shit about a 'classic' movie, all the edgyposters in here just respond with 'hurr underage hurr reddit hurr nu Sup Forums.

I agree. I loved the build up of the world and characters. The fucking ending just felt so left out. The game had a much better ending and wish the director was clever enough at that time to have a nice twisty and a dark ending. Movie was gorgeous and deserved a better ending

So we can better get to the meat of this discussion, what do you think in the film isn't worthy of being so praised?

No, I mean why did he say it two times? The first time was passable, the second time just felt like Brando hamming it up and it somehow made the final cut.

>google apocalypse now video game to try to understand what you're going on about
>there's an actual video game in development
looks shit

The ending was near-perfect you're tripping, man. There didn't need to be a twist. Willard kills Kurtz because, as he himself states, Kurtz was waiting for Willard to take the pain away. The pain of living in this monstrous world.

Spec Ops' ending, while neat, is less interesting thematically because we never really get the hint that Walker is mentally unstable until the twist happens. There was no cutscene or dialogue talking about Walker's stint in the psych ward, none of that. Just a neat twist.

No he means this:
youtu.be/lauUirttVhs?t=9
If you're interested I'd recommend watching all the cutscenes. Gameplay may not be your thing.

It was just Willard thinking about Kurtz words

>Spec Ops

babbies first war story

I never understood the praise behind that game, it just felt like a dumbed version of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now with a cheap twist at the end, not to mention the gameplay was fucking terrible

youtube.com/watch?v=r23wOiCHK5E

How was it a dumbed down version? I'm not too fond of the twist, but it makes sense from a video game perspective.

I have actually never watched this. Read Heart of Darkness and only liked the very end pretty much, so I always brushed the movie aside. Should get around to it someday.

Charlie detected

Like that other user said, babbies first war story, im not saying that Apocalypse Now is the greatest piece of art ever created, but you can see what im talking about once you start to compare the videogame with the film

Maybe this was never meant to be translated into a game, all im saying is that 3 minutes of cutscenes and 20 minutes of cover shooting over and over again didn't worked for me.

>it makes sense from a video game perspective.
Are you talking about the twist? why would it make sense from a video game perspective? it felt pretty unnecessary to me

>babbies first war story
I'd actually say that's Full Metal Jacket. But there's nothing wrong with that.
> once you start to compare the videogame with the film
But why are you doing that? The game's themes have to do with the very nature of it being interactive and choices you the player make.
>why would it make sense from a video game perspective?
The player makes the choices that Walker does. The game's meta-narrative about how people tend to gravitate to war games where you play a soldier doing the right thing. Instead you play as, not necessarily a villain, but a guy who does everything wrong.
>The truth, Walker, is...that you're here to feel like something you're not. A hero.
>it felt pretty unnecessary to me
Then you must not play many video games.

He wasn't supposed to be, he gained weight after being signed for the film. They had to shoot him in shadows because of it.

Dear Diary: today, 10/10 bait was posted.

>Brando was actually supposed to have a larger part in the final act

He did

And not just 10/10, bait, but perfect... bait. Perfect. Bait. Perfect, complete, original, genuine, crystalline, pure, brief. And it was like... I was CAUGHT, in the mouth, by a DIAMOND hook, a DIAMOND HOOK, that forced my mouth to move and that forced my - little arms - to type and post. And that was when I realized, that the OP was a better troll than I was. Because the thing that he had written actually had merit, regardless of whether he really meant it or not You see, /intention/ doesn't matter. It's /intention/ that defeats us. Only the words matter. Only the idea matters.

If I had TEN divisions of men like the OP, then our troubles in places like Reddit and Twitter and elsewhere, would be over very quickly.

I wrote an essay about that attempted to answer that question for A level English.
I can't remember the gist of my argument at all though

Stop making these "what's big deal" threads

>But why are you doing that?
>"a central theme of the game revolves around the moral aspect of war. By using this theme, the team hoped to tell a story and provide an experience that feels realistic, covering the combatants' mental changes during and after a military conflict, similar to how movies in the 1970s and 1980s, such as Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now convey these messages."
It's pretty hard no to do it when the game clearly takes inspiration from AN and similar films. Hell, they even named the "villain" after the author of Heart of Darkness
>The player makes the choices that Walker does. The game's meta-narrative about how people tend to gravitate to war games where you play a soldier doing the right thing. Instead you play as, not necessarily a villain, but a guy who does everything wrong.
I understood this user, this shit was pretty obvious after the first 30 minutes of the game, what im talking about is the twist at the end, you could've left that out and still get the same results, but they decided to add a "HE WAS IN YOUR HEAD ALL ALONG" just because they needed a big twist at the end. So im asking again, why do you think that twist was necessary?
>Then you must not play many video games.
You don't really need to play games 24/7 to notice the flaws of Spec Ops .

>but they decided to add a "HE WAS IN YOUR HEAD ALL ALONG" just because they needed a big twist at the end
That's not it. Not only was it wonderfully presented, it presents the player with a scene, however stylized, to blame Konrad (and by extension the developers) for Walker's actions, or to blame Walker himself for his actions. Without this, the game simply ends with Walker finding Konrad's corpse and that is that. It is navel gazing in a way only video games could possibly do. An ending where Walker finds Konrad and the game ends doesn't make use of the fact that there is a controller in the player's hands.
>It's pretty hard no to do it
Then try harder I guess. Stories about the CIA fucking with some country far away from the United States are ubiquitous. The game's presentation of these tried and true tropes is where it excels, along with the execution of its meta-narrative and ending taking advantage of the fact that it is a video game.
>You don't really need to play games 24/7 to notice the flaws of Spec Ops .
The ending isn't a flaw. You keep saying it was not necessary and now I've explained in detail why it was in order to take full advantage of the medium it is in.

Could not agree more. I watched the redux version first on accident and now I feel like I've been robbed of a much better experience.

You can do that to every movie

Lord of the rings
>It's just about a bunch of midgets and a gay wizard dropping a ring into a volcano

Back to the future
>It's just about some guy with Parkinsons going back in time to make sure his dad fucks his mom

>to blame Konrad (and by extension the developers) for Walker's actions, or to blame Walker himself for his actions. Without this, the game simply ends with Walker finding Konrad's corpse and that is that.
But you don't the twist for that, because anyone who has been paying attention knows that Walker has been doing everything wrong, by showing that Konrad was dead all along and it was all in his head makes me think that the writers didn't really know how to end the game (which is pretty funny because Coppola also had a hard time writing an ending for AN, according to the documentary) so they went with the easiest way out, all i'm trying to to tell you is that i wanted a more satisfying conclusion.
>The game's presentation of these tried and true tropes is where it excels, along with the execution of its meta-narrative and ending taking advantage of the fact that it is a video game.
You must be joking now, all that Spec Ops did was to take elements from every war film and mix them all in one thing, there was nothing new or special in that game.
>The ending isn't a flaw.
One man's trash is another man's treasure i guess, i wouldn't mind about the ending that much if the rest of the game was at least somewhat enjoyable, which in my opinion, it wasn't

The ending is literally the best part of the film

Checked.
>But you don't the twist for that
I don't quite understand what you're suggesting instead, then. The ending takes full advantage of Spec Ops being a video game and is completely in line with the rest of the game. What are you suggesting instead?
>all that Spec Ops did was to take elements from every war film and mix them all in one thing
What did you think I meant by
>Stories about the CIA fucking with some country far away from the United States are ubiquitous.
? The game is taking tropes already done and presenting them with its own recipe, adding in themes and motifs that have to do with the fact that it is a video game. It does this superbly.
>There was nothing new or special in that game.
The game presenting you with the choice to blame Konrad, or Walker, was new and special. The entire meta-narrative was new and special in its execution. That was the only way it could possibly differentiate itself from Heart Of Darkness and Apocalypse Now. And it succeeded.

AN is literally simply about going to meet Kurtz though, that's what it's all about and no that's not a bad thing.

>What are you suggesting instead?
An ending without the twist and without a dead Konrad, hell, if the game ended with Walker killing Konrad and now Walker being a shell of his former self (kinda like how did they did in one of the endings), i would've been fine with that.
>The game is taking tropes already done and presenting them with its own recipe, adding in themes and motifs that have to do with the fact that it is a video game.
But the game is adding themes and motifs that we have seen countless times, and it's not even done in a good, refreshing way, it was more of the same. They told us the same old story again.
>The game presenting you with the choice to blame Konrad, or Walker, was new and special
This is not new though, the player making his own choice has been presented countless time in other games, don't even get me started on films and books. And even if you're right, there's no reason why someone would blame Konrad, because Walker did almost everything wrong.

reddit the post

>But the game is adding themes and motifs that we have seen countless times
Yes. I have acknowledged that three times now. I guess I'll just say what I said the previous two times:
>The game is taking tropes already done and presenting them with its own recipe, adding in themes and motifs that have to do with the fact that it is a video game.
>and it's not even done in a good, refreshing way,
It absolutely is. There is no video game or film that takes place in a sandstorm ravaged, war torn Dubai, where the further you descend into the city the darker the atmosphere, the tone, all of it gets. The statement:
>it's not even done in a good, refreshing way
is objectively false. The art direction is fucking fabulous, and a lot of the setpieces for firefights like the one where they give you a sniper and you fight across two buildings. Not to mention the soundtrack, hoo boy that soundtrack.
>They told us the same old story again.
It isn't actually the same, because it is a video game. You must not play a lot of video games because this fact alone completely separates it from the story's previous two incarnations, and you can't seem to understand that. Heart Of Darkness and Apocalypse Now don't have situations where the reader can shoot civilians for murdering their comrade, they don't have a situation where the viewer drops white phosphorus on 37 civilians.
>This is not new though, the player making his own choice
You're simplifying what is actually happening and ignoring content.

cont.

>there's no reason why someone would blame Konrad, because Walker did almost everything wrong.
Did you play it at release? There was a shitton of people that blamed Konrad. A shitton. And they'd have good reason. The developers railroad the narrative for Walker to drop white phosphorus on the civilians. The situation is impossible to avoid, and the game allows you to blame the developers for putting the player in that position. Which then ties into the question of why do people play violent video games? To kill people? If that is the case, why is killing the civilians any different? etc. (I'm not asking you these questions I'm simply presenting them).

>It absolutely is. There is no video game or film that takes place in a sandstorm ravaged, war torn Dubai.
I was talking about the story user, i do think that the game taking place in a ravaged Dubai was a neat idea though.
>The art direction is fucking fabulous, and a lot of the setpieces.
Again, that whole post was about the story only, i though this whole conversation was solely about the game's story and it's ending
>It isn't actually the same, because it is a video game. You must not play a lot of video games because this fact alone completely separates it from the story's previous two incarnations, and you can't seem to understand that. Heart Of Darkness and Apocalypse Now don't have situations where the reader can shoot civilians for murdering their comrade, they don't have a situation where the viewer drops white phosphorus on 37 civilians.
So the only thing that makes this story different is that they added a generic shooter to the mix, boring player choices and some scenes that are there just for shock value? Very fresh indeed. Also why do you keep saying that i don't play a lot of videogames? i though i already said that you don't need to play a lot of games to know the story is deeply flawed. Not really an argument.
>You're simplifying what is actually happening and ignoring content.
And you're actually saying that player choices is something new and special, and i said that this has been done already, what am i simplifying/ignoring here? How many games have YOU played user? Are you also gonna say that the game presenting different endings is something new and special?
>The developers railroad the narrative for Walker to drop white phosphorus on the civilians. The situation is impossible to avoid
This is not Konrad's fault, in the game's story, Konrad has been dead for a long time, even before you arrive, you can blame Konrad for the failure of the evacuation he tried to accomplish before the events of the game.

cont.

>The developers railroad the narrative for Walker to drop white phosphorus on the civilians. The situation is impossible to avoid, and the game allows you to blame the developers for putting the player in that position.

This not the writers trying to get you to blame Konrad, this is the writers forcing you to kill civilians just so they can manipulate you into feeling "bad" with the whole scene of dead civilians. Different meanings lad.

It actually doesn't make sense from a video game perspective because dare I use this phrase, ludonarrative dissonance

You can sit there and kill endless dudes for hours before deciding to drop the white phosphorus, good narratives in video games respond to the player.

I'm about to go out now but if the thread's still alive I'll reply to you.

kek

Didn't Brando just ramble and they kept it in?
That's also the part where the movie loses me erry time