Did Paul Allen really have the nicest card?

Did Paul Allen really have the nicest card?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bryce's was better.

checkem

>same exact phone number and address
What did they mean by this?

No, Bateman was projecting his homosexual urges for Paul which manifested into a murder.

they all look the fucking same, that's the whole point of the scene

>Pierce &Pierce

What did they mean by this?

>no dubs

The scene is how women envision cocky business men interacting with each other but not in the typical low brow amy schummer "HEY FELLOW DUDEBRUH" kind of way
I throughly enjoyed it though, I wonder if women enjoy our exagerated views of their inner dramas.

They're all shit cards anyway

bait

god you're both two ignorant pieces of shit

first of all, it's a business card, it refers to their working place not their homes, people call there and get transferred by asking their names

second, they don't look the same, not at all, the font, word and number positioning, style, wording, material and color all make a huge difference, business cards should look stale and keep their style in the little details, to be bold, precise and impressive, sometimes people even change their names to achieve that effect

and third, leave your fucking basement at least once in your lives. a business card is a businessman's first impression, like shaking hands. they're like suits, all the same type of clothing but you're judged heavily on it, to a point where some people buy suits worth thousands and thousands of dollars. a business card is like shaking hands, you gotta be firm and get the message across

get a real job that isn't leeching your parents or wagie shit and you'll learn some about the world

>Aquisitions is spelled wrong

Why did they both spell acquisitions wrong? That accompanied with Bateman's spacing error and it's a really shitty card.

>wasting trips

No its not you idiot

>Aquismons

Acquisitions is spelled wrong.

You're exactly the kind of person this movie is making fun of.

sounds like someone is pissed because they don't have the nicest business card

Some day somebody is going to get the post 2125556342 and it will be the ultimate get.

Not long after that, possibly the same thread, 2125556390

Yes, but only because he was handling the Fischer Account, no other reason at all.

As someone who used to work in design and printing. It's a garbage card with too much shit in too many places.
>Phone number top left
>Business top right
>Name in middle with position/title below
>Address for the business that is on the top right on the very bottom
>Below the address a fax number as an alternative method of contact to the phone number on the top left

The cards a fucking mess

Dubs confirm

Describe or post an example of a good business card then.

To me these cards look pretty cool though now that I noticed the misspelling of acquisitions it's driving me mad. Also, shouldn't they have a phone extension as fucking VPs, even in the 80s?

how can coloring be thick?

What?

>Look at that subtle off-white coloring; the tasteful thickness of it...

Me again, I'll let you guys in on a secret though.
Most assholes don't even know what a good business card is. They get so stuck on their own shitty design like Bateman's and Allen's, they're so hung up on their shitty fonts that don't match anything else, they want numbers that go below the line and letters that stop above the line and then get all giddy because their card is the right shade of white on a 110 lb linen. I'm so glad I got out of it. It's like website design for anyone out there that's done this privately.

phoneposting or I would. Matching fonts or at least complementary fonts are a must. Phone numbers should be kept next to each other, you are handing someone a contact card, not an 8 year olds birthday invitation. Business and title can be seperated as they are but if you are going to put something right in the fucking middle of the card, you want everything either below it or on the other side or you look like your decorating a fucking comic book with all sorts of information. It fucks up the priority.

You see the name front and center, then what? Do you look left or do you look right, do you see a phone number or the business he works for first. There's a lot of tiny cerebral things about a business card if you are the type that wants to make a big impression with it.
>TFW to intelligent
Just sharing my thoughts as well as the thoughts of colleagues I've worked with

Not him, but if you want to go simple, something like pic related is easier on the eyes and looks better for a company like Pierce & Pierce

Looks like shit

Just like all the cards in the film. At least it looks more professional

They work in the same building? Shock horror

Business card elitist faggot here, I approve of this design though I hate the symbols. That's just my preference though. Fonts all match and thats big ups

Yeah, I could do without the symbols. It's the best I could find in under a minute

Bateman unironically had the best card

SNEED

Van Patten's eggshell texture is disgusting. It looks like a piece of cardboard you'd find soiled on a park bench, even though the lettering is clear and striking. Composition-wise, the spacing is good too: the borders are neither too thin nor thick, the edges and corners of the card look like they're being put to use. However, there's a lot of space between the name in the centre and the relatively finely printed telephone number in the top left: it draws attention to the horrible eggshell texture. The company name is printed in small font too, but he did a good job of writing "mergers and aquisitions [sic]" in lower-case (with the first letters capitalised), since that makes it more legible.

Bateman's card has nice lettering - I love the font - and the embossing is a nice touch. However, the top border looks too thick to me: there's a lot of waste space above the number and company name, and it gives an impression like it was cut out by hand with a pair of scissors not 5 minutes ago. Contrast this with his bottom border which is too thin, an impression compounded by the small font of the address. I agree with the criticisms of another youtuber in the comments to a video of this scene who noticed that Bateman's numbers are uneven, for example with the 5's drooping down below the line and giving the card an untidy appearance. Bateman's font is even smaller than Van Patten's so the large uneven numbers in the top left stand out especially. Also I've heard it mentioned that the ampersand between the 2 "pierces" in the company name is closer to the right "pierce", also giving the card a mediocre presentation. Bateman has "Vice president' written in all caps, which gives off a more solid impression. Van Patten's lower-case "Vice President" makes it look like he's Vice President of Ubisoft, maybe, but not a respectable trading firm. However, Bateman's preference for capitalisation produces an undesirable effect with "mergers and aquisitions [sic]", because his small font squeezes the space-hungry capitals together, which sacrifices legibility. Van Patten's card also has the bonus of his name written in bold and tying the card into a coherent ensemble with a central visual point of reference, but perhaps a little too bold: makes it look like it's printed on a Wild West saloon and ruins the air of refinement and sophistication the card was supposed to convey.
Bateman's card, which is already lacking in tidiness, suffers from Bateman's aversion to bold lettering.

I don't need to ask you if you've ever considered chopping a man to pieces over a business card

Bryce's card seems to be free from the compositional and lettering-related weaknesses of Bateman's card and doesn't quite match the textural catastrophe of Van Patten's. The "Pale Nimbus" texture or whatever still isn't a choice I would make: it doesn't stand out that much, but it still looks like the shitty wallpaper in my room. You can even see a few crease-like imperfections on the top edge of the card, and it's just begging for one dirty finger dragging an unpleasant looking grease mark over it. Can't comment definitively on the numbers in the top left and the general compositional value, since Bryce is covering a key portion with his fingers. Once again, I don't like the Vice President written in lower-case, but in this case, the offence is greater because of the poor choice of lettering. Bryce was obviously going for a "simpler and crisper" look, opting for a sans-serif font, mostly lower-case, but it robs the card of all class: that's a lettering choice you'd see on an immigration checkpoint at Bristol harbour maybe, but not on a wall street business card. I wouldn't hesitate to call it plebeian. The embossing is a minor saving grace here. I feel the card would benefit from having his name printed in bold like Van Patten. Overall the card looks like a practice resume written in Arial in MS Word by a high school graduate.

Now Paul Allen's card is indeed a work of art. My heart jumped a little when I saw it again after all that dross. First of all, no retarded textures: simple, plain, white ( or "subtle off-white"). The size of the letters is perfect: very easily legible and clear. Notice how the address and contact details are written in two separate lines at the bottom. This allows them to be big enough to make out easily, it allows the address to be intuitively separated from the fax/telex numbers, it avoids the situation of having to squeeze that salad of symbols into a thin pathetic ribbon scratched at the bottom, like the others do. it allows the two lines of information to use up the space at the bottom of the card and prevents the information spilling over into the corners and distracting from the rest of the card. Text is embossed, name and position is in bold, of course, with the name written in larger font, tying the card together. At first I was conflicted about the serif-situation: I stated early that serifs are the source of class, but there was something about his lettering that seemed to defy that. Now I take a closer look and see that he actually does use serifs, but they're so discreet that you almost can't make them out. The resulting effect is phenomenal though: it still looks authoritative, even without the established, lofty vibe of fonts with more classical serifs. If there were one criticism I had to offer, I would say the company name could be written in bolder font with larger serifs, but I fear the card is already balancing on a perfect combination of simplicity and compositional density, and this would overcomplicate it.

>that shit card
>looks better
Fuck off

You guys are coming at this from the wrong angle.

Business card plebeian here. It takes about a nano second to absorb the information you're looking for on a business card and Paul Allen's looks nicer than this one.

t. wagie

Like card connoisseur said earlier, it's not just about handing information to someone. It's about leaving an impression

this comes across as fancy but to me looks fucking tacky and tryhard

Paul's left a better impression on me. What can I say?

Yes

Lets see this user's card...

>acquisitions
>aquisitions
Missing a 'c' friendo

I'll show you a real man's business card
youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk

How dense the colouring is?

Why are all of them 'vice president' ?

Yeah but it looks professional in a boring way. When you look at Allen's it might not follow the rules of business cards but it looks aesthetic.

Now that's just beautiful. The composition is great with that rectangle shape and while the scale embossing may look overcharging, it's a nice counterbalance to the composition. The logo is great for an interior architect and is pretty much a premise to the general style of the man. Obviously not one of those modernist architects. The font is a nice choice, the flame motif is great and brings symmetry. Spacing is also very good and the scale embossing helps filling what's not inside the compositional triangle. One thing I'm bothered with is the title being shrunk a little bit compared to the name so it remains symmetrical but it still a subtle difference and it's compensated by the little flame motif. I'd even say having the name being a bit bigger isn't a bad thing. I like that there is no clear cut in the scale embossing, it's a nice touch.

>sometimes people even change their names to achieve that effect

>we're all watching his youtube video
>generated a crowd

What do you do, guaranteed, chuckle head?

Looks like tacky garbage desu

At that time, in certain firms, people get a case of the ass if they don’t have a big title. So, you end up with 8 bajillion VPs.

aw fuck I just got outplayed

I have sometimes feeling that people like you are working very hard so better men can pursue higher meaning in science and art.

We should be more thankful to you but just because you could have a lot of money does not make you more than ants of humanity. You should now your place and behave accordingly.

If it were the card of the vice-president of mergers and acquisitions I'd agree, but since it's an architect's card and therefore essentially the card of an artist I cannot.

He's saying it's like milk

t. Bateman

If I were a lawyer I'd put my name in the centre, all bold. Phone number on bottom right. Then name of firm on other side.

Please don't kill your colleagues with an axe

>name on one side, centered, small caps (not just caps)
>title one line below, centered, one size smaller font, also small caps
>name of firm on the other side, in logo form (not an abstract logo)

Obviously this would be for a startup or small firm where the business card giver is the founder, but what do you think? I really like minimalism desu. Do you think I could get away with not having a phone/email/URL and assuming people can google the name to find it, or would that just make people uninterested in following up?

They both have the letters smaller on the first name. Making them both shit.

I'm the faggot you replied to. That's a solid idea as well. The issue is having shit thrown all over the place. But I think that's a solid minimalist approach

It'll make people uninterested unless you're already a noted person in that industry. When you're at that point just the sound of your name is already a brand of its own. Like if I say Madonna you're very likely to know who I'm talking about

Noted, so should I put an email and phone or just an email? Should it go underneath the name/title or underneath the logo on the reverse?

Post >yfw this thread has become an unironic recreation of the scene

Is something wrong, user?

You're sweating.

So what kind of company does a Merger and Acquisitions do?

That's a super fruity card, but he's French so I guess it's fine.

No but Bateman definitely had the worst.

Post the cutout image already.

If you have a phone that you'd want people to contact you on then put it on there, otherwise you can forgo it if you're just sticking to email.

If your card is already designed well you can place it whever you want, but it's generally perferred that you keep the information together since most people don't want to keep flipping the card for information

So name/title and email together is usually a better choice and logo can be solo on the back, also something you might be interested in is making the card vertical, but that's harder to design well

Thanks mate

>Best card coming through.

Dubs confirm Carruthers had best card.

>two colors
>surname first
>gay ass font
lmao
thou checked

Can someone calculate the amount of time until we get to that post number?

>surname first
makes sense when you're called fuckin Carruthers.

why are there so many vice presidents of the same fucking department?

unrelated but what software do people use to generate those soft light 3d renders

U made ppl really mad but you're right

How'd a knitwit like you get so tasteful

Nepotism. Didn't you notice none of them really does any work? Their meetings are just an excuse to share business cards, they don't actually have any real reason to hold a meeting.

if dubs you let the thread 404

Because their jobs are bogus and they are only hired because their fathers all worked for the company. Their position in the company is basically meaningless, they're just given an executive title and paid to do nothing all day until they can take over for their fathers.

retards on this thread dont know shit about design

this image is suppose to show you about spacing and positioning of text, giving some information priority, the logo and symbols are crap but its design its better.

plebeian the card

Pedophile Fat Virgin Ugly Lazy Sup Forums loser sub human eternally BTFO!!

You can do it in any 3d modeling program, like Blender. If you want you can even do it in Photoshop etc if you're good at editing