Are most "comic fans" and "geeks" these days just people who like watching the movies and going to expensive...

Are most "comic fans" and "geeks" these days just people who like watching the movies and going to expensive conventions?

Yes

>reading comics
They're sooo hard to get intooo! And when you start liking comic, it's cancelled. It's SO confusing.
And comic fans are mean.

Nah, you just have to be an internet recluse.
I wouldn't call myself a comic fan but I apparently know a lot more about them than the average person.

Don't forget that they collect Funko Pops

> conventions?
Never been to one.

Also they like anything geeky they can find on Facebook to constantly remind people.

I'm not sure why you're sarcastically stating valid complaints.

Comics aren't that hard to get into if you have some intelligence and determination. If they're confusing for you, then it's probably because you don't care enough to get into the world presented to you, which means it's probably not your thing. Which is fine. Big 2 comics aren't for everyone.

That's not really a rebuttal, but okay.

>And when you start liking comic, it's cancelled
This is a completely valid complaint because you can dedicate a hundred dollars to a series and not get an ending. You don't have to do that with a television series.

>there are three threads on Sup Forums about fake geeks
why is it that Sup Forums cares more about titles and "geek cred" than the average fucking Big Bang Theory watcher does

Why would anyone still buy comics despite only getting a small part of a story and it being filled with ads. I guess autistic capeshit fags love to have their wallets raped on a weekly basis but most regular people just want a complete story in one shot.

I have spent over 5000 dollars on comics, where a majority of them have shitty stories! These fucking roasties don't get to call themselves geeks, just taking that title and making it cool when it was never cool for me when I was called a geek.

It wasn't really meant to be. My point was just that comics present some difficulties to certain readers depending on their proclivities. I've noticed that Big 2 comics often draw people like myself who like big complicated worlds to explore. Other people might value more organization and more straight-forwardness, and less of an esoteric feel. Again, that's fine. Big 2 isn't for you and there's nothing wrong with that.

That being said, of course there's legitimate problems (like the next post) but I personally like the aspects of comics that seem to confuse others and I would bet I'm not the only one.

Definitely a valid complaint.

>buying comics

> had a discussion at ECCC with someone in comics, I’m not going to mention who, about how busy the convention was, and they said that some of the attendees were probably just “Tumblr fans.”

>I asked what she meant, and she said that she felt there was a growing group of fans who love the characters and love MOMENTS of stories, but don’t read the actual comics ever. She said that they will buy a CHARACTER X t-shirt in a heartbeat, but don’t own any graphic novels.They will reblog a scene they like from a comic, but never go to an actual comics shop to get that same book.

Big Two comics are different from TV series and the like though. It's best to treat stuff like Batman not as one continuous block of story but more as a standing cast of characters that is approached by various writers. In other words, its not a huge story, its a collection of runs. I understand that I'll never see the end of Peter Parker's or Bruce Wayne's, or Clark Kent's, or John Constantine's careers, or ever really see the end of their stories, or the end of their cast of characters' stories. That's fine by me, its no longer what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the stories told in the mean time. Morrison's run on Batman or Snyder's run on Swamp Thing (+ Soule because he kind of sequeled to Snyder) were great for me because the runs themselves had poignant endings. The ending to Soule's Swamp Thing gives me chills when I think about it, it feels like the ending to a novel. Same with Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

It might help to even think of the characters as different themselves. Morrison's Batman is not Snyder's Batman. They both had "endings". Now we're reading about King's Batman.

Someone has to.

They are valid points, user.

As someone who started to read comics for a year now, one of the most annoying part about it was the older fans who act like comics are their precious and secret club and new people should stay away.

I only buy TPs and completed series, can't understand people who buy floppies, let alone following several ongoing series.

You're not the only one. I got into the Big two partly because of it, and I noticed right away that you don't actually need to read plenty of issues to understand something. It's generally explained if it wasn't in a previous issue of the same series.

The Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008 can be perfectly enjoyed without reading everything that comes before, but reading the rest of the DnA stuff is so much better, and brings so much.

You just have to set priorities and have actual motivation and desire.

This guy gets it

So just like anime fans?

Huh? I used to watch anime when I was younger and I don't remember anyone hating on the new fans. They are just really whiney (like pretty much every fanbase of any medium) and love to talk about how animes are so "mature".

I don't if their attitude about the new fans changed now though.