Has anything flopped harder than this?

Has anything flopped harder than this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JNqrWm1M3Sc
youtube.com/watch?v=c0iEScFn8M4
youtube.com/watch?v=FSfWGcD78v4
youtube.com/watch?v=fWtdOywhrlQ
escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_81/460-Uwe-Boll-and-the-German-Tax-Code
1201beyond.com/podcasts/radiodrome/episode-305-uwe-boll-exit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yo mama's tits when she rode ma dick!

your dick

Batman v Superman

BVS might suck but even that has redeeming things unlike Jem.

Delgo.

Delgo wasn't pulled after two weeks.

Jem has redeeming thing, I wanted to see more of Kesha when they finally showed up and then boom the movie ended

>wanting more Kesha
>in anything
>ever

We actually dodged a bullet there.

Shut up Boco

well...

>that movie fop genuinely made the actress go direct into psychotherapy

Yes sir...

Zyxxyx Road made $20 on like a $2 million budget.

United Passions less than $1k in the US, on a budget of $30 million

>muh cartoon they destroyed muh childhood

cry more.

I didn't say that, I said the movie flopped....which it did, it was pulled out of theaters within weeks of it's premiere because absolutely nobody went to go see it

Even though the movie wasn't good, I actually WISH it did well because it would help bring the brand back into relevance

>

Hi

Did anybody seriously expect that to be a big hit?

No, it wasn't going to be a big hit regardless but it didn't necessarily need to fail to the drastic extent that it did

Hell I don't even think it had ANY promotion

Shitlord

I'm probably gonna get >Underage but what the fuck is Jem and the Holograms?

If they had just literally copied the old cartoon, and made some good original songs/updated old songs from the show, they probably could have gotten a trilogy out of it.

But instead they made her some highschool girl that got popular on youtube, and struggled with being internet famous.

They even could have had the Misfits show up in a sequel, if they made the first one really good.

Kesha is a nice girl no bully

Someone at the time wrote an extensive post on how they make purposefully shitty movie as a "tax writeoff", or to kill interest for certain things. I'd really love a discussion on that because it's interesting, if true.

>what the fuck is Jem and the Holograms?

A girls father is a famous scientist who works with holograms and other computer stuff. He passes away and leaves all his research and technology to her.

Greedy corporations and the military want the hologram tech for their own use, but her father wanted his stuff only used for peace. So she takes the holograms and makes an alter-ego for herself named "JEM" and makes a full band of hologram girls. "JEM and the Holograms" becomes their band name, but everyone thinks its all real people.

JEM travels around on the run from these corporate spies trying to get her dads tech, while pretending to just be a famous pop/rock group to hude her real identity so nobody can find her.

youtube.com/watch?v=JNqrWm1M3Sc

Correct; it was pulled after ONE.

That Ben-Hur remake. Who even asked for that reboot?

>We could have had a JEM movie that was just an hour and a half long rock/pop opera where its constant singing through the entire movie with no stops

youtube.com/watch?v=c0iEScFn8M4

People do do that, I doubt it was the case with this movie. Ever since they let Michael Bay do Transformers Hasbro has been taking more chances with their IPs and throwing them out to people to modernize and see what sticks.....sometimes it works out in their favor like MLP, sometimes it doesn't like Jem

Hell, even those Ouija horror movies are licensed by Hasbro since they own the board game

>new things are always good! Criticizing remakes is evil because muh corporate overlords said so

What a great plot for a movie...

They didn't quite make the movie JUST so that they could write it off for taxes.

Rather, the cheapness of the movie comes from Blumhouse Productions. For the past several years, they've been making dozens of horror movies on budgets of $5 million each, making well over that number in profits with each film. Examples include, well, damn near every popular horror movie in the past few years. They've pretty much cornered the market. They're a modern Cannon Films when it comes to the horror genre.

My theory is that they thought that they could branch out beyond horror, and figured they'd be able to do it with "Jem and the Holograms". Obviously, that failed immensely.

>nerdy Mr Fantastic
>ugly Susan
>naked Thing
>slave Human Torch

What were they thinking?

I feel like your probably intentionally exaggerating user, but just in case you aren't, that's not entirely correct.

The scientist father and inventions stuff is all true, but the military and coorperation stuff only rarely comes up, the other girls in the band aren't holograms but her friends in real life, and the reason she creates an alter ego is because she also runs a record company that's the only thing keeping her father's assets (including his research and an orphan house) from falling into the hands of a rival businessman, who would take all the research and tech and sell it and close down the house if she didn't get a hit band immediately to keep the company from being bought out by him.

Since it would be a conflict of interests to have the boss sing the songs herself she created Jem and the secret identity thing is to keep people from knowing the star rocker of the record company is also the boss.

It's actually surprisingly cooperate and business involved for a show designed to push dolls to girls.

>Has anything flopped harder than this
Max Steel maybe? It had a budget of 10.4 million, but only got 4.4 million at the box office. Barely anyone noticed the movie, and only a few critics could be bothered to watch it.
Hey Mattel, brand name recognition only works if people recognize the brand! Nobody watches Max Steel!

>nerdy Mr Fantastic

But he is a nerd

>People do do that
Are there any known cases of it happening, like a smear campaign masked as a box office bomb?

>Nobody watches Max Steel!

And I believe this is the third time they've tried to get this franchise off the ground in twenty years.

Gotta say they are presentient.

>one of Jem's Youtube fans was dressed as Pizzazz
>Misfits were not in the movie until the last few minutes
What the? You have to be TRYING to fuck up like that.

That German guy who makes the video game movies...Uwe Boll or whatever the fuck

Arguably for the same reasons.

In that they cut any of the original production crew out of the film and ignored the advice of the original creator.

On paper it may not have been as big a flop (still a flop though)

But any thoughts on a sequel to that are as dead as any other films.

and beats up his weaker critics (literally) but will run if its someone that can beat him up.

I didnt even realize this movie was made. I used to watch the show all the time too.

What the fuck? How does this guy get work? There has to be a reason?

>YouTube
Oh, right, the whole fucking YouTube thing.

I thought it was offensive enough that they had used collected fan footage to talk about the movie's Jem, removed from the context of talking about the original Jem cartoon and despite said footage using elements from the original cartoon, such as the Pizzazz costume or some people singing the theme song.

But then they actually incorporated random YouTube videos into the movie's goddamn score, as if they were too cheap to get an original score for the film, if not at least license an existing score! But I guess that would have been outside the $5 million budget.

Thankfully, he's retired recently. I believe he claims that nobody understands his genius.

yeah but guess what the movie is just about starting up with nothing that made the show like

the Rival Band shows up in the stinger

As someone who took their little brother because it was something new, it was actually pretty good desu better than Amazing Spider-man I thought.

Its another remake of old cartoons, that uses almost nothing from the original.

youtube.com/watch?v=FSfWGcD78v4

All they had to do was make a 90's EXTREME action movie about a young 20 something guy who got turned into a nanomachine cyborg by accident in his dads lab, but they didnt.

youtube.com/watch?v=fWtdOywhrlQ

Fucking radical, that's what. It is truly, truly outrageous

Never heard of those.

On another note: The film also utilizes celebrity clips that are ALSO taken out of their original context. An interview with Chris Pratt comes from him talking about his childhood, a video from The Rock is talking about Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood", and there's even a clip from Jimmy Kimmel (or was it Jimmy Fallon?) cut quickly enough to avoid incorporating the original cartoon's theme song.

Some reviewers claimed that it may as well be the only reason to watch the film.
I'm inclined to agree, but I'd rather just see a goddamn Jem movie true to the source material. Hell, the first "Transformers" movie took fewer creative liberties.

I'd almost go on record and say that I'd rather see a Jem movie based on the recent comic book series, but that would mean having the accept whale-Stormer into my life. And I don't wanna.

Granted, Zyxxyx played in one theater in Texas, so the SAG could grant the film international distribution rights

United Passions was a movie about FIFA executives

The promotions would have believe it's actually this action-packed, but really we have "Jem about to be run over by a bimbo throwing a hissy fit on a bulldozer" with it resolved in literally four frames of animation once it comes back from commercial. I'm sad I "got used to it" as I was watching and started liking it a bit on its own, because I know for a fact I missed out on loads of things that were ridiculously stupid (and hilarious) during that time. At least the ending was hokey.

The movie is based on the other Max Steel.

>I'd almost go on record and say that I'd rather see a Jem movie based on the recent comic book series, but that would mean having the accept whale-Stormer into my life. And I don't wanna.

>Not accepting Hamstormer for the awesome Pizzazz we get
>And Rapeface Kimber
I love the fuck out of the new series, even if Kimber and Stormer's relationship feels simultaneously underdeveloped and in the spotlight too often. Give me more Jerrica and Rio, they actually are nice to see on the page interacting.

>United Passions was a movie about FIFA executives
Oh, right, that movie.
Not only was it a movie about FIFA executives, but it was released within days after a major scandal within the organization.

>Faust advocating for the movie because "We need to let Hollywood know it's okay to give girls heroes to look up to"
She was right to say that people were only worried because it was women, but all those hypothetical complaints ended up being true. It's sad.

A fair point, but you could theoretically have them while still having a Stormer with a healthier physique.

I suppose one bigger question to ask is: If there were never any shitstorm about the Ghostbusters movie, would the movie have just been ignored when it hit theaters?

I really ought to watch this

IDW's current Jem and The Holograms comic series is more faithful to the original cartoon than what one of Jem's movie producers claimed the film would be.

>United Passions was a movie about FIFA executives
Ah, right. That retarded vanity piece about people nobody likes.

from what i heard new ghostbbusters was a passable kids movie at best

I got use to fat stormer

yeah the movie was just another meh remake nothing more

kimber & stormer just feels rushed to me and at this point in the comics there is no real reason for stormer to jump ship to the holograms anyway

I'm going to assume they pressed Kimber/Stormer early on because they knew it's what everybody was going to expect would eventually happen.

i love how sony had zero faith in the project and marketed the movie as sequel rather than being it's own thing

reminds me of how capcom is afraid to call it's reboots reboots

>nerdy Mr Fantastic
you fuckin retarded or something?

what is this, the producers

Possibly but it feels...not rushed since honestly its pretty easy to fall into casual dating, but they're kind of boring. Their 'oh no we're in two rival bands!' drama isn't as interesting as Jerrica and Rio and her insane neuroses compelling her to build a HOUSE OF LIES for Jem to live in.

The rest of both bands continue to delight by and large. Aja is best Hologram. Pizzazz best anything

I found this article
escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_81/460-Uwe-Boll-and-the-German-Tax-Code

I dunno? This money stuff is weird

I listened to a podcast that interviewed Boll about why he was quitting directing. It was pretty interesting.
1201beyond.com/podcasts/radiodrome/episode-305-uwe-boll-exit/

>Since it would be a conflict of interests to have the boss sing the songs herself she created Jem and the secret identity thing is to keep people from knowing the star rocker of the record company is also the boss.

IIRC the actual conflict of interest was the band competition being organized and promoted by the Starlight Foundation, a subsidy of Jerrica's company. There wouldn't be any conflict of interest with a musician owning her own production company or label.

fuc i didnt know this already came out, loved the original show as a kid, used to record episodes on vhs, had almost every one.

Basically there isn't much to Kimber and Stormer in and of themselves. Stormer is pretty defined by her conflict with her bandmates and Kimber is just kinda there most of the time.

And lets be honest, nothing can stand up to the sheer insanity of building a HOUSE OF LIES that includes attempting to start love triangle between you, your boyfriend, and your stage persona to make it easier on you to continue using an AI controlled hard light hologram to mask your performance anxiety issues.

Goddamn I love Jem and Holograms.

Roxy was my favorite girl in the show and I don't like how she's just boring in the comics, but other than that and their obvious SJW leanings I quite enjoy what I've read

Roxy is the Shana of the Misfits in the comic. She's there but doesn't have anything really going on. I find Shana's boyfriend more interesting than she is

>your problem with Ben is that he's naked and not that he looks like he popped out of a KFC fryer and rolled in eleven herbs and spices

wow, one, i didnt know uqe was german or a doctor(i figured south african[for some reason] and retarded) 2, thank you these were both very interesting

>Kimber and Stormer's relationship
So we got a lesbian Romeo and Juliet thing going in the comics? Why couldn't THAT be in the movie?

Hell, just do this scene:
>Holograms are watching a Misfits performance on Youtube
>"Whoa. So they're the Misfits? Their songs might be better. They'll be the ones to beat."
>then Kimber goes, "That blue-haired one is kinda cute, though..."
>everyone looks at her
>"What?"

Worse movie flop?

There's Monkeybone 75 million budget and it earned 7.5 million.

Osmosis Jones with a 70 million budget and it earned 14 mill back.

And of course Pluto Nash with its 100 million budget and it earned 7.1 million back.

What's interesting is that they tried to pitch a version of the movie more in line with the show and no studio wanted it until they reworked it into an INCREDIBLY generic cookie-cutter movie about young teens becoming musicians.

That could work, but that would require setting up the Misfits to be revealed within the film's primary story.
Instead, they opted for a worse idea by having them be the hook for a sequel and appear in a mid-credits sequence.

>So we got a lesbian Romeo and Juliet thing going in the comics?
Yeah, it isn't as interesting as you'd imagine, weirdly. It'd be nicer I think if they had each one of them as a bit of a band loyalist too so they have to reconcile their differences rather than it just being everyone else around them tearing their hair out and catching the vapors and whatnot.

>Osmosis Jones with a 70 million budget and it earned 14 mill back.

Seriously? That movie got a spinoff TV show and everything too, I assumed it did well

The comic is made by a chubby chaser fetish fuckhead. Gross. None of the main characters should be fat.

>It'd be nicer I think if they had each one of them as a bit of a band loyalist too so they have to reconcile their differences rather than it just being everyone else around them tearing their hair out and catching the vapors and whatnot.
That's kind of how it played out in the series that spawned the whole Kimber/Stormer ship. The two broke off from their respective bands, then cut a 12" single together for fun, but ultimately decided to split up and go back.

The 80s were too conservative for teenage lesbians, though.

Osmosis Jones sold well on tape, its box office take was hindered by poor reviews mostly stemming from the potty humor and how all the live action scenes were gross.

So far in the comic there's a bit more of 'us vs. the world' vibe with them, which is fine enough but doesn't give major interpersonal meat for them. I think the closest they've come to a real argument was when Kimber fingered Clash as the one who rigged a stage collapse on them.

Then again maybe not being a drama bomb relationship is for the best, to keep it from overwhelming the cute weirdness of the core pairing of Jem/Jerrica and Rio.

I remember Osmosis Jones being played on Cartoon Network CONSTANTLY.

God, the comic cut so many corners. Of the 7 panels 3 have a proper background, 1 is half-assed, 2 are just black in what is supposed to be a sunset, and the others have simple gradients. Not to mention it being jarring going from sunset to black to sunset again.

That depends, how hard do bodies hit the ground?

All the art effort went on the music sequences. Do you think these amorphous blobs just pay for themselves?

>If there were never any shitstorm about the Ghostbusters movie, would the movie have just been ignored when it hit theaters?

I'd say yes as Feig picking a fight with the old Ghostbusters fans and males in general was the only reason people kept talking about it.

Sony was stupid to let him make this a damned gender war only to cut him off when he dragged politics into it.

Catwoman?

Police Academy 7?

Which Spider-Man is this?

hollywood accounting and budgeting to rearrange money movements to hide any and all capital gains. A film can cost 50 million to make, sell for 100 million in the box office and 400 million in dvd/bluray/online deals but still lose 120 million. But try to get the neutered IRS or any accounting company to investigate and bring something of that. I DARE YOU. P.S. now listed in more list than before.