Watching pic related and so far the standup he's doing isn't funny at all...

Watching pic related and so far the standup he's doing isn't funny at all. I respect the influence that Seinfeld had on other television comedies, but how the fuck is Jerry Seinfeld considered a good standup comedian?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2S6uYPqP2bg
youtube.com/watch?v=c7W5x9ZHOXU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>good standup comedian
he never was.

People are laughing so hard in this video of him performing, though. Apparently he is popularly considered good.

his fanbase is probably closer to his age (old fart old)

Maron's only a decade younger and he's fucking hilarious.

he's a bland comedian.

One time Ray Ramano showed up unannounced at a comedy club I was at and it was fucking hilarious.

I bet Ray Romano's standup is better than Seinfeld's.

No he isn't

Compared to this he is, at the very least.

desu the standup was the least funny part of every Seinfeld episode

it wasn't very funny
and i loved the tv show, hope i can still enjoy it

It's just not humor meant from your era. I'm not defending or attacking it, but even if it WAS good you probably wouldn't connect with it very much. That's also why you get lots of anons here who don't "understand" why Seinfeld was so popular in the 90s either.

Jerry is "80's" funny. You wouldn't understand unless you lived through that decade, bleeding into the early 90's as well. It was the golden era to be a comedian and everyone was getting their own sitcom. Fucking Ray Romano got a sitcom.

There has to be more to it than that. I'm 30 and I don't really find Seinfeld that funny, but I have a friend who's 25 and it's his favorite show.

he sucks gorilla shit stained dicks. He is really bad. The whole Seinfield series success was that he sucked and Larry Davis made it funny.

Wait, so is 80s funny just "point out an incongruous thing like the fact that we say we're getting on a train when we're getting inside of it and everyone laughs their asses off?"

They're laughing at him because it's Jerry Seinfeld telling the jokes. Star power can do that to a crowd. Mediocre performances get amplified to passable just because of who the performer is. Look at this stand up of Michael Richards. The story is shit, but everyone goes ape shit because it's Kramer doing the joke.
youtube.com/watch?v=2S6uYPqP2bg

Seinfeld was always Larry David's baby as evidence by his continued critical and commercial success while Seinfeld has just kind of been spinning wheels without anyone caring.

That's a little too specific. It's basically a more laid back jokey approach. Bill Hicks kind of broke away from that mold and why he's considered influential to the next era of comedian.

Never liked his stand up that much. It's ok, but instantly forgettable.

The show was fucking great, though.

You're just not on his level

Yeah, but it (usually) sets the stage for the episode as it connects to the plot, so at least it kinda makes sense.

Did not know about this thanks,

Just been watching curb and saw amy schumer looking her young best

Seinfeld was only a good show because of Larry David, Jerry has never been funny...

Nah the two had a chemistry, practically the same comedic mind, Jerry's a little lighter, Larry's darker, you watch the making ofs and its always the two of them writing and rewriting together, though larry would do the first draft

I think his popularity stems from a certain religion... scientology maybe, I beleive the fellows at Sup Forums may be able to help you out on this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=c7W5x9ZHOXU

this was a pretty good joke tbqh

doesnt swear so old fucks liked him

You have to admire the effort Jerry puts into his jokes. I mean he labours over them like a math proof, Every beat every word is planned out. Compare that to millenial 'My korean parents are always like where the noodle .. but that's ...'

I thought it was great. Obviously his stand-up is a little different from the classic Seinfeld humor but the bits were clever regardless and he has the delivery of a seasoned pro (obviously). I also really enjoyed the biographical sections, they had great production value.

Jerry once produced a documentary on Abbot & Costello. Does anyone remember this? I'd like to see that again.

I saw Seinfeld in Australia last month. He was funny. People think his stand up is like the intro to the series but he's a lot more heated and irate on stage. It's very high energy.

Why does he make a single joke and then milk it for over a minute?
I'm enjoying it enough. I'm just not really laughing.
>Abbot & Costello
At least he has good heroes.

Curb is brilliant, but everything else LD has done is awful.

>Why does he make a single joke and then milk it for over a minute?
That's his "style".

He's "funny" in the sense that a merry go round is a thrill ride.

He's perfectly non-offensive enough to be enjoyed by a wide variety of the american population.

The creative bite behind his show was Larry David but I will always love Seinfeld

I don't think he's the funniest guy around but he isn't as terrible as you are all making him out to be.

It's observational humor.
It's "funny cuz it's true," and often he was the first to point out these observations. Things most of us have experienced, but if you point it out in just the right way (in the right time period), it puts an amusing spin on it, and most people could relate.

Dating humor, jokes about every day inanity, airplane peanuts, small shit like that. He wasn't being political, he wasn't being raunchy, so he was kind of for most normal people. He was basically the opposite of Carlin.

No one here grasps the central dichotomy of Jerry Seinfeld.

He's the straight guy. The guy who plays it as deadpan as possible. The snarky foil to the ridiculous caricatures of his friends. The most normal person in a cast of five regular characters and numerous secondary or tertiary ones. The self-insert that lets the audience feel involved in zany situations with George, Kramer, and Elaine.

Jerry Seinfeld isn't really all that funny because he's actually quite good at the comedic timing and tone necessary to pull off a great straight guy. The stand up he did was always a little weird for that reason. You find yourself enjoying his patter, but not actually laughing out loud, because it's like hearing the echoes of a sound without hearing the sound itself; the wry observations without the crazy events that preceded them. Every time you hear Jerry talk or watch him on TV, he's retrofitting the foolish escapades of life through the eyes of the everyman and making him feel clever, collected, worldly, and yes, a little flawed, but who isn't? That's why you like him even if you can easily say to yourself, "But I don't think he's funny at all!" Of course he isn't. That's the point.

Maron is fucking terrible. Seinfeld is way better.

yeah, i can do with any fucking era but right now to you is not that obvious.
>2010s sitcom
>lel white ppl
>Niggas this niggas that
>muh vagina
Plenty of comedians right now considered *good* fall into this and we know they are shit. We can ask ourselves how are they that big right now. We know (((why))) (protip, the same reason Seinfeld was big back then). The sitcom is goat tho.

what the fuck

So what's the deal with roasties? Do they really need to be so toasty?

Who ah these peanuts foah? These airline movies are tryna drive me crazy!

Is this copypasta? If it isn't I want it to be pasta

you're a fucking moron