Underrated SciFi Thread

Let's talk scifi that no one talks about/doesn't get talked about enough. Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Another good one. Canadians make some solid scifi.

GOOLD?

Aussies too apparently

This film was kino. Really actor driven. The performances were top notch. Reminiscent of Dead Space.

indeed
*temples pulse as jaw clenches, raises eyebrow*

Is it not popular here? It's one of the best cult shows of all time.

that's literally what Christopher judge did for seasons 1-3
I loved that shit.
Every Friday was a blast because my father would come from work and we'd watch it together.
That's what we bonded over.

I'm going to watch SG-1 for the first time OP, do you have any good links to watch it from or to download from?

Good stuff.

have any tv/film enemies been as fun as the replicators?

Yeah Teal'c is great. Sounds nostalgic.
I wish my dad liked scifi beyond Star Trek.
solarmoviez(dot)to hosts it all. Subbed too. Good site for streaming a lot of different stuff. I recommend watching the movie first too. Kodi is also a good source.

Once they turned humans they were shit.

>solarmoviez(dot)to hosts it all. Subbed too. Good site for streaming a lot of different stuff. I recommend watching the movie first too. Kodi is also a good source.

thanks user, when do I start watching Atlantis? I heard it's con-current with SG-1.

gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/

it was also pizza night, so yeah - 90's family bonding and little caesars.
I'd go back just to see season 1 Daniel and sam

yeahhh, that was too much
you'll know just by keeping up with the original, get ready for Khal drogo tho.

oh neato, thanks again!

I'm actually doing my first watchthrough myself.
Not him.
Yeah seriously thanks man.
Also got this from google:
Stargate Movie
Sg-1 until Atlantis
Start alternating episodes of Sg1 and Atlantis until S10 sg1.
When s10 started airing, Atlantis Ep were new first so you watch Atlantis S3 E1, then SG1 S10 E1, until end of sg1.
Ark of truth, then Season 4 Atlantis
Continuum
S5 Atlantis
SGU
Atlantis Movie ( there better be damnit)

This franchise is way better than I remember. I saw the movie and a few eps here and there through syndication when I was younger, but damn am glad I came back to it.

It's a real shame they went that way.

Any other good underrated series'/movies?
How was The Orville?

I don't like family guy/American dad, so I don't have hopes for seth

Space Above and Beyond. It's a real shame it only lasted one season.

Farscape

lexx?

Never heard of it. What's it about?
I heard comedy would be taking the backseat, and I personally think he's a really talented guy. Him being a huge fan of ST and SW, I feel like he can make a competent scifi series. Or at least I hope so.

>Continuum

Season 1 is good but after that, I would suggest anyone stop.

Space Above and Beyond is about space marines fighting a war against aliens they call Chigs.

Oh shit, that's a cool design. Set far in the future?

"Lexx" is the tale of a group of misfits who inadvertently steals the most powerful weapon of destruction in the two universes: the Lexx, an enormous, sentient insect genetically modified for space travel and planet-destroying capabilities. Although they have no real authority, they travel through hostile and chaotic universes, having a variety of adventures...

In "Farscape", American astronaut John Crichton finds himself thrown across the universe when an experimental mission goes bad. Crichton teams up with a group of rebels involved in an intergalactic battle and begins a journey unlike anything he dreamed was possible while trying to find a way back to Earth.

he died...

Sounds a little kiddie
That's right up my alley
Designs look interesting too, was it long running?

More like they cancel solid scifi.

Sg1 was so good my grandma liked it and watched it when it aired. And she usually hated science fiction.

she had the hots for macgyver

4 seasons, watched it intermittently.
lexx was just quirky, had an episode where alien carrots body snatched people through their butts, as a crew they took turns probing each other.
>pic related

The sadness.
>an episode where alien carrots body snatched people through their butts, as a crew they took turns probing each other.
Kek.

Not so far in the future anymore. 2063

Not a great show but watchable if you've never seen it. It's about an alien race who come to earth and ingratiate themselves with humanity using their advanced technology to resolve social problems. But they have a secret, they are going extinct and they are hoping human DNA will provide the solution to this so they perform a lot of top secret unethical experiments and exude soft control of the human population. They have a collective consciousness and are a androgenous species and normally exist at a higher dimension than ourselves.

Hasn't aged the greatest, but I feel like it deserves some recognition for doing a lot with a concept that nobody else really tackled in series form, which is a shame.

I'll definitely give it a watch if it's only 1 season
Sounds interesting. Bet its got a lot of dark eps. Long running?
What was the concept?

Jermiah is a post apocalyptic show, not exactly scifi but it was made by the guy who created Babylon 5. It takes place in a future 15 years after every adult on the planet was wiped out by a plague leaving children to fend for themselves. Society collapsed and the world is a rundown anachronistic lawless place.

It ran for five seasons, the last two seasons sucked though.

dude figures out how to open a portal to alternate realities and accidentally takes some people with him and due to making an emergency portal loses the way to get to their reality so they slide along hoping to find their real home

I enjoyed this back in the day

Anyone have opinions on The Outer Limits reboot?

Each episode is a self-contained story and it originally aired on cable so there is nudity. It's a Twilight Zone ripoff except less weird and with a higher budget so there are episodes that take place in space etc..

Man I hate shitty endings
Hmm, cool concept, how old/long running is it?
That doesn't look like a real show.
Lord of the Flies to the extreme?

>Lord of the Flies to the extreme?
No; people have settled down but everybody is poor, there is no government except at the local level and that is more like gangs. All the knowledge adults had is pretty much gone so there are people dying from treatable diseases and stuff like candy is a precious luxury.

I've seen Almost Human mentioned only in "what canceled show you miss" threads. I thought it was interesting. Fucking Fox.

going from the first movie toward the series is always so jarring why didn't they just make more movies?

Sliders was mid 90s with a few seasons. 7 days was only like 2 or 3 seasons in late 90s but was kinda neat - basically they can send a dude back 7 days in time to prevent something terrible from happening

Because Emmerich is a salty faggot.

They wanted to but i never happened. In the late 2000s they were talking about continuing it as a trilogy but it would disregard all the TV SGs did. Then they were talking about rebooting it but it got shelved. A prequel series is slated for this year called SG Origins.

UNSCHEDULED OFFWORLD ACTIVATION

It died too young.

It's honestly tough because I can see both sides of the argument.
The standalone movie worked, but making more movies would have felt overdone when it came to the story.
With the TV show, it takes its time and people can enjoy the story.

On the other hand,
Movies would have had a higher budget and A-list stars.

When the eventual remake happens, I doubt it will even come close to the sense of mystery and wonder.

I actually found it to be pretty okay, I'm glad they didn't just write off the movie. I started watching the series last week and I went from the movie to the show and it felt like a true continuation.

I just wish Charlie hadn't died, he was my favorite outside the main 4.

>mid 90s
Wow I thought it was older
Don't think I'd like 7 Days though judging by the thumb
Are you me? Started watching last week too. They did a good job connecting to the movie aside from slight name changes. Halfway through S2 atm.
>spoilers
FUCK

What? He died in episode 3, if you're in season 2 it's not a spoiler for you

I'm kind of annoyed that the DVDs don't have subtitles, I'm slightly hard of hearing so I have to turn the TV up a lot.

oh shit, that was meant for

Got DVDs w/o subs? What I ripoff. The streaming site I linked earlier has subs. Albeit the video isn't always HD.

this show

oh that isn't spoilers the actor died in real life after sg-1 was finished airing
;_;

Lexx is pretty far from kiddie. It's the raunchiest, sleaziest show I've ever seen on TV, and it's hard to believe it's an actual thing that aired on a legit channel.
It's essentially a sex farce in space.

Aw damn that sucks

why doesn't any mention shows like eureka and warehouse 13 in threads like these? because they're not set in space or involve aliens?

>solarmoviez(dot)to
Nice thank you! I don't care if it's not in HD the subs and the sound are great and there's good buffering.

Don't complain, my dad only watches football....and not even the NFL, college only.

Mom likes to watch any show with 20is girls living together so she c ad n pretend she's still a young skank.

>Eureka
Good point
>Warehouse 13
Eh, that's vaguely more fantasy than scifi, isn't it? Magic's the explanation, right?

I liked the episode where they went to earth and everyone carried around a flask of booze, and a revolver.

Was this show trying to make fun of Americans for some reason?

So you'd recommend?
Was Terra Nova any good?

No, it lived just as long as it needef to.

Any longer and it would have become shit but they kept Farscape golden throughout.

Yikes. Way to put it in perspective. My folks seem pretty damn eclectic by comparison.

That was pretty good, Almost Human has good rewatch value too.

Anyone old enough to recall Dark Angel?

I know man, I know.

>Anyone old enough to recall Dark Angel?

Prime Jessica Alba in cameron kino, shame it got f'd in the ass by Osama's bandits.

>Dark Angel
Didn't grab me.

>so you'd recommend
No. I enjoyed it but only because I have a weird sense of humor.

I don't think it would appeal to most people who like science fiction. And I don't think it would appeal to most normies who like satire science fiction (eg Space Balls) because Lexx is just fucking weird.

It made fun of everything and everyone.

I loved it, but it's definitely not for everyone. It's like every weird and insane thing about Farscape multiplied by 100

>Mom likes to watch any show with 20is girls living together so she c ad n pretend she's still a young skank.

Give me her number and I'll let her pretend she's a young skank all she wants.

The first season was kino. The second was absolutely shit tier.

>f'ed in the ass by Osama bandits
Watch The Lone Gunmen, the pilot is about a 9/11 plot litterally 2 months before the real 9/11 happened.

Warehouse 13 started as steam-punk sci-fi with sci-fi basis (mostly electromagnetic-based) but in later seasons began shifting to magic. the objects/artifacts were originally unknown inventions by people like edison but in later seasons the artifacts are now created by intense emotions and some are clearly magical in nature.

>The second was absolutely shit tier.

Due to 9/11 and them downplaying the whole post apocalyptic angle on orders of the network. Personally I still quite liked it but would have liked to see it progress as originally intended.

Came here to post this.

Warehouse 13 is terrible and marked the beginning of a steep downward spiral for the Sci-Fi channel, sorry SyFy.

>That's right up my alley

Farscape is fucking great. It was a joint venture between Australian and American production companies along with the Jim Henson company, of all things.

The entire series is completely bizarre. Despite the fact that half the characters are puppets, all of them are really likeable and it has, hands-down, one of the best villains to come out of sci-fi TV.

Also I'm going to post this.

i really wish this had been cancelled/moved/given some down time that would have led an appropriate revival/continiation before season 4 happened

This and Odyssey 5.

Is the point of the other humans in Stargate that the Gou'ald captured thousands and thousands of ancient humans and scattered them around the Milky Way galaxy and those groups of humans grew and reproduced and set up civilizations on those planets?

Isn't Fringe on Netflix?

The Genii are the best.

>Odyssey 5

Damn you! I had almost forgotten about the travesty that was this pure kino's cancellation and unresolved story lines. (Though the creator/showrunner did elaborate on what he had planned for future seasons that never came.)

Yes

Not just the Goa'uld, but other aliens too representing gods of those civilizations like the Norse Asgardians. Really good series so far, to me anyway.

yes, in the tv series, the humans on other planets were from earth. they were taken to serve as slaves (servants and workers) on the other planets.

great show, never finished it

>Odyssey 5

TFW when Peter Weller now is optimus in those bay flicks and Sebastian Roché acts in those terrible the vampire diaries/the originals shows.

There is no justice in this world.