Was the Dude actually happy? Was he content with the fact that he wasted his life?

Was the Dude actually happy? Was he content with the fact that he wasted his life?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Huron_Statement
firstthings.com/article/2011/02/the-coens-keep-the-faith
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

....well yeah man!

I don't have time to answer your inane questions.

He wasted his life because he didnt marry a roastie who would cheat on him and then take half his stuff?

the dude abides

This aggression will not stand, man.

Clearly you're not a nihilist man.

Time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!

He didn't have much to even take. The rug was pretty much his best asset.

>has his own place
>has a rug
>has a car
>had a nice circle of friends

I wish I had dudes life

How was his life wasted compared to anyone else in the movie? He produced literature which brought him a steady income, and from there lived a simple life which he enjoyed with his friends.

If I do the same can I still be happy?

But my entire family wants me to be the opposite of the dude. They did everything to make sure I'm not the dude, but what if that'll make me happy?

>He produced literature which brought him a steady income,
Where was this said?

nihilism is for faggots

He produced literature?

this

I don't think people can really be happy unless they live just like me

I stopped buying useless shit, stopped worrying about any future ''career'', stopped caring about not having a gf & not having sex.

No more anxiety, depression, frustration, etc. I'm losing weight and no longer a fatso. Life is much better now.

If the Dude was so happy why did he joke about the Big Lebowski paying for his college?

Did the rug really belong to the art lady?

The rug he took from Lebowskis house was

>zero mention of the Creedence tapes

Only someone who thinks he is better than apes can think of something bizarre like 'wasting life'. The fact however is, we are not better than apes. We are more unhappy, yes, but that doesnt make us better.

I forgot by fedora

Are you?

I think user is referring to when he tells Maude he was one of the original authors of the Port Huron statement.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Huron_Statement

I mean, I guess if Das Kapital counts as literature...

no

>has a car
>had a nice circle of friends
not after the events of the movie

Great rug though.

>got to fuck and impregnate prime Julianne Moore

what the fuck have you done with your life?

I only have my own perspective to offer but I think you could do a good job of pretending to be nihilist and happy but every now and again bad thoughts will creep in and scream at you about wasted time, wasted effort, wasted potential, wasted life, what you could be doing etc, but then it gets stifled by the time you wake up and turn your tv/game back on. Eventually you get a little more numb to it but those thoughts will creep back in somehow.

Maybe the dude had other things to fulfill him or maybe he's a fictional character and shouldn't be idolized

This.

The briefest wiki look at these groups sends you right back down the rabbit hole
>Why are they never wrong?

You can live without anxiety and still experience success in life but from your post it just sounds like you got scared and frustrated and bowed out

Achieve what you can. If you don't want to then don't. You won't be happy otherwise.

I also feel nothing and accomplish nothing. Thanks Satan!

I love the student group linking to George soros

The left is fucking evil

That rug really tied to the room together, did it not?

Underrated post

This guy peed on it

Is it a waste if you enjoy it user?

I fuckin love Big Lebowski threads for things like this

What determines a successful life?
I just want an easygoing well paying job with acceptable off time so I can chill out for most of my life.

Philosophers have debated this forever and they swing from hard work to nihilism to religious fervor so why would you even bother asking such a personal question? If you're happy with just subsistence and merely not being suicidal then there you go, I doubt you're going to find that job though.

Boy scout motto is a good philosophy. Leave earth better than you entered it and be nice to people

A desk job is pretty easy going and most of them pay well. I'm working on my bachelor's degree to get my foot in the door. Military contractors get payed quite a bit and I already have my foot in the door for that kind of career.
You don't have to break your back to have a fulfilling life, dream jobs are for children and a lucky few.

>not being a shitty person is fedora tier
You know the golden rule was a Jesus thing right?

The Dude is happy. He doesn't bother anyone. He is a role model. If you can be happy and not bother anyone you're a good person. The Dude could have been a high flying corporate executive type and still be happy and not bother anyone. It's not about what he does as a person, it's about how he feels.

He's probably more stoic philosophy than anything else. He isn't a nihilist because he does care about things, he has morality.

THEY'RE GONNA KILL THAT POOR WOMAN!

Can you define desk job? You can't just leave it at "I work at a desk," what desk, where, doing what? I'm just poking holes in your flimsy plan. Military contractors and PMCs bust their asses, I dunno what movie you watched to give you an idea otherwise.

I fucking wish I could live the dude's life.

I believe the philosophy of a dude is just a blatant rip off from this Simpsons scene.

Was Sneed really happy?
We may never know.

From like 2007-2011 I pretty much got high everyday and played poker to keep me just above broke. It wasn't living alone like the dude, but I didn't really have anything to do but hang out with my friends and get high.

It was fun. I only stopped because weed started giving me panic attacks. Then being sober made me really bored so I've become a productive member of society just because there's nothing else to fill the time. Hiking is fun, exercise too.

When I'm old I'll probably go back to being The Dude sometimes, except I'd like to have a family and that requires being sober enough to take care of them.

the dude is jesus
water is YHWH
donnie is human form jesus
jesus is the spanish catholic church
maude is the madonna
bunny is the whore
the big lebowski is the broken jewish G-d
the nihilists are the only real threat
donnie dies but is resurrected onto the dude
the whole plot is about saving the prostitute
sam elliot is the first preacher spreading the gospel

this would be interesting but the Coens are Jews, they don't have any special appreciation for the Gospel

the rug is the middle east/holy land

jackie treehorn is the devil

>I haven't watched any Coen brothers films

try again dude. they constantly reference common human mythos, including the christ story.

The main characters are personifications of different eras. The Dude is the 60s lovechild. Walter is the 70s Vietnam fuck you 60s lovechild. Donnie is the 80s, he doesn't really know or care for anything. Mr. Lebowski is the 50s, he saw war, he works hard, he's a bit full of shit but he's an American patriot.

Or not. Really does not matter one way or the other, so whatever.

I mean, did you see Hail Caesar?

>reference
reference is one thing, complete reverential allegory is another
yes and I loved it, but that was just about the culture of America at the time and the respect of Christianity being the center of virtuousness of the West

>trying THIS hard to be the dude
you're doing it wrong. stop trying.

he was addicted to weed, therefore unaware that he was a boring loser.

>reverential allegory is another
Oh Brother Where Art Thou is literally just a retelling of the Odyssey though.

Well, it did tie the room together.

>being a nihilist
that sounds exhausting

yeah, and the Odyssey isn't Christian. When they make a reverential retelling of he Gospel or Christian mythos then I'll have my mind changed on their spiritual perspective

watch it again and dig that the Rug is most definitely a symbol for the middle east.
also the film takes place on 9/11.

it was also made in 1998 you fucking dumbass

with all due respect I think you are stuck on the "reverential" thing.
you can make a movie about Jesus and not be reverent.

Jesus you need to relax.

>triggered this hard

>A desk job is pretty easy going

Purposeless lives are not happy ones

No matter how much stoner comedy tries to make being a 1pm wake up slug "cool" they will never alter that the human brain releases it's naturally highest points of dopamine during consistent routine, sleep schedule, diet, and seeking fulfillment.

Literally neuroscience

>dream jobs are for children so I have no real goals or dreams of my own
Humans used to create, invent and design the world around us. Fuck man, Disney turned a literal swamp into a cash cow theme park for over 6 decades. If people now have a bitch mentality of "I am looking forward to a desk job and menial pay", there is something inherently wrong with us.

nah, fuck off. I do have dreams but those will never, ever happen. The next best thing is for me to have a decent living and low stress job so I can focus on my family, friendships, community, and hobbies

Unawareness =/= Apathy.

Who cares if you're not interesting if you're happy?

>wahhh they will never happen
Not with that cuck attitude. Are you even going to try? I don't understand people like you, once you are dead, that's it. There is no more time. Afterlife is probably a big autistic make believe scam, so you have less than 100 years to do literally anything if you exist in a first world society.

boring loser stoner detected

>are you even going to try?
I already did. I don't have what it takes to make it for my specific dream.

>but then it gets stifled by the time you wake up and turn your tv/game back on
>tv/game

The dude didn't have to distract himself with these things, he wasn't an escapist, he was happy and content just chilling and doing nothing. He wasn't even crazy about bowling like Walter. He was like a fucking Buddhist, with no strong attachments.

What even is your dream?

Brainlet who can't answer a question without denigrating to ad hominem because he's a fucking retard absolutely revealed

singing

Dude was pretty tied to that rug my man... I don't think he lacked desire. He lacked classical ambition, and he didn't seem depressed, so he was satisfied and didn't aspire to anything else. He was just a content dude.

>making a thread about something otherthan the evils of women
Not on my watch.

>I-I'm smart because I smoke weed

I bet the dude thought that too. but he had friends and got laid, which in my experience real stoners never do.

don't worry user. if you keep smoking weed alone and posting on Sup Forums for long enough I'm sure you will eventually become involved in some kind of big lebowski-style plot.

Here read this firstthings.com/article/2011/02/the-coens-keep-the-faith

>Humans used to create, invent and design the world around us

Like 0.01% of people. The others are just cattle. They used to toil in the fields, now they "toil" behind their desks.

So, is it a matter of you can't sing or no opportunities? It isn't hard to start a band and post shit on soundcloud.

So either you suck at singing or lazy...

((((Tips))))

Great excuse for you being a loser then.

thanks for that, what a great read. Armond is the fucking man. The Coens are incredibly spiritual, and no way did I intend to imply that they were hostile to the Gospel. But they aren't specifically keen on the character of Christ, and would never make a film where he is the protagonist/hero IMO

>people who smoke weed don't have sex
Can someone tell me where this meme comes from? Nancy Reagan?

>Military contractors and PMCs bust their asses
m8 I know for a fact that isn't true for all of them. I used to work with quite a few and would be more than happy to do that kind of work with the money they get paid. Any job where I'm not making minimum wage and working in the sweltering heat is pretty comfy.

You sound autistic.

I don't smoke weed you ugly dumb faggot

Not everyone who argues for a position shares that position, some people just like being right.

>Humans used to create, invent and design the world around us
False, creators are a small percentage of society.
>people who make society run are losers
nice outlook on life you have there bud

I am a great singer
>no opportunities
>It isn't hard to start a band and post shit on soundcloud
it is hard to start a band actually, and posting shit on soundcloud is never how you gain success in the industry. you are completely talking out of your ass. I am talented, probably talented enough to be minorly successful if I was in a band full of other people as talented as I am. but I'm not talented enough to make it on my own, and I don't know anybody passionate enough about music to try seriously enough with me. That's that. I'm not going to tell you the rest of my life story but I tried, realized that it wasn't going to work out without a miracle, and realized that there are other things I find joy in as well. I even already tried to have a work heavy career as a Navy officer that I was passionate about but that fell through too for medical reasons.

I find enough fulfillment in relationships with family and friends that I can be passionate about that for the rest of my life. The best way to experience that is to have a job that pays well enough and doesn't take up too much of my time. There is honor in humility you dumb sperg. Stop assuming you have to be special