Nothing actually comes at night

>nothing actually comes at night
>just a bunch of ambiguous spooky shit that never gets resolved

Was this 2deep4me or was it lame for everyone else?

HE GETS THE NIGHTMARE VISIONS AT NIGHT

I AM THE BEAST I WORSHIP

It seems like people either really like this or really hate it (because they don't get it). They show up expecting some shitty clichéd horror flick but instead actually have to think and watch. I enjoyed it, saw it twice in the theater.

the son's nightmares came at night

>ambiguous spooky shit never gets resolved
the movie wasn't about the infection or anything outside, it was about the inadequacy of modern morality in a world without civilization

The title is a bible reference of destruction and judgment coming as a thief in the night.

Will is the metaphor of this.

>it was about the inadequacy of modern morality in a world without civilization

Wew they shouldn't advertize this as a horror movie then.

>watch a trailer of a comedy movie
>looks funny
>go watch it
>actually it only has one joke in a dream scene and the movie is actually a 5 hour long documentary about some very tedious and obscure topic

Jesus it isn't that complicated of a movie you retards. It's a movie about how fear makes you act irrationally; how paranoia dissolves the binds of trust and decent human compassion.

Let's fucking review:
>Son's nightmares/fear/paranoia/early symptoms of disease comes at night in the form of nightmares
>Will comes at night literally setting the plot forward
>Infected dog comes back at night
>Kid is found awake at night starting the unraveling of the two families

What comes at night? It's fear, it's paranoia, it's hallucinations, etc... etc... it's everything that the movie is talking about.

I know the marketing was misleading but it's not a bad movie just because there aren't fucking zombies or some spooky monster that comes at night.

I appreciate what they were trying to do with the movie but I had other expectations with the spooky exposition.

So what killed the dog and who opened the red door?
Why leave that unresolved?

Because it doesn't matter. It's a movie about paranoia. Not everything in the plot needs resolved because the movie's primary goal is exploring subtext.

>There isnt a single fountain in the entire movie
>Its just some guy scared of death

Was this 2deep4me or was it lame for everyone else? I mean come the fuck on its NAMED "The Fountain" but there is NO FUCKING FOUNTAIN! Fuck this im going to McDonalds

I can't tell if you're a pseudo intellectual or the person you're replying to is a brainlet

beard man should have made a make shift door barricade like this and locked it with a padlock, all his problems are solved amigo

The tree is the fountain you retard

Stop watching trailers

I guess this movie fits well in that bell curve thread.

It's not paranoia when it's real, user.

The infection killed the dog and the main character sleepwalked (blackout) and 'rescued' him, leaving the door open and forgetting about it.

The main character is never shown to sleepwalk. Unlike the little kid.

The movie sucks. Its basically the whole humanity and compassion bit from zombie movies, but without the zombies.

In an end of the world situation, don't help anyone.

OH SHIT IM FEELIN IT

At this point I think the fever made him hallucinate that the door was open

I don't know why so many people got pissed about this movie. I watched it a couple weeks ago and it became very apparent early on that the movie wasn't really about whatever "it" was, but rather the way fear and paranoia affects the actions and decisions of these two families.

I loved it.

Well he did have a nightmare about walking outside with a lantern

I FUCK THE MUSIC I MAKE IT CUM

He had one about fucking the other guy's wife, too.

It is paranoia when the event makes you start to distrust others. The characters were not acting rationally when evaluating what could have happened. Instead they started to eat one another. That was because of crippling fear.

There's a part in the movie where Edgerton explains that only he has a set of keys for the door and maybe sometimes his wife may have them. So how was the door opened without the keys? Maybe I'm just mistaken in thinking that the door is locked from the inside, it's just the impression that I got from his little speech.

How did the kid get infected?

he touched the infected dog or the black kid was infected by the dog and touched the boy

>The characters were not acting rationally when evaluating what could have happened.

Examples?

Whether the kid was infected or not is left ambiguous.

>Whether the kid was infected or not is left ambiguous.

Not really, the kids parents wouldn't show his eyes.

The red door just has a slide bolt on it. I think it just meant the outside.

They say the kid could barely reach the lock, but don't mention the keys, so I think the lock is just on the outside.

The other family are the carriers.

As the kid said, if they're infected, he is too.

Doesn't change the fact that the kid was infected and so was his mom and dad.

It's kind of a hind sight thing.

The one thing that triggered me was the black figure sitting on the log, when the father and mexican fellow were driving to mexican fellows family. The fuck was that?

That's it. The movie isn't about the thing outside but it doesn't exclude it. I think watching the dog chimp out in the wood was fucking terrifying

No, but the infection came from the other family, not the dog.

How did you work this out?

how

This bitch

Darkness, unknown, comes at night, and people fear it. The film is really simple ya niggers.

Lets define this so its easier to talk about

Family A: home owners with biracial older son

Family B: couple with young son.

Why was the son blacker than the mother?

>how
>family is getting along fine

>will shows up
>brings his family
>suddenly the dog is sick
>the kid sleepwalks
>the original family is now infected

1+1=2

It's just some statue to get you in a shaken feeling, I really liked it too. This movie reminded me of the walking dead during that point

You forget the grandfather got the illness in Family A

is this worth watching? only men of culture reply

And they were fine after.

at least once yeah, the acting is very good

It's only 90 minutes long.

This movie does everything that Night of the Living Dead and The Mist already did and brings nothing new to the table. Completely unoriginal and empty movie.

We don't know the incubation time of the illness

No, its like watching two people on YT argue then one kills the other.

the Mist had a more memorable ending

>oreo baby has spooky dreams
>IT'S TOO DEEP FOR ME

thanks Sup Forums, I too love race mixing in movies for the sole purpose to sell more tickets.

I think you're right, actually I don't recall the other guy asking for Edgerton to relinquish the keys when he had him at gunpoint when they were trying to leave so it must not be locked from the inside

>Advertise it as a horror
>Annoyed that people expected a horror

Yet another boring thriller hiding under the 2deep4u horror blanket, just to appeal to aesthetic fags.

It's just a statue? thing spooked me a lil, that's when i was convinced something bigger than the actual plot washappening

Is this another one of those movies where nothing happens, but get praised by all "film experts" as the "best horror in decades" like The VVitch? If so, I'll pass.

It’s an allegory for the dangers of xenophobia. That’s what horror films are, the same way IT is about child abuse; The clown is a physical manifestation meant to teach about real world occurrences; the same way it follows is about STDs and promiscuity; the same way Jason films are about pre-marital sex

Horror films are literal vessels for propaganda and political agendas, nothing more, nothing less

They’re only scary if you’re too dumb to see what they’re advertising

it's a film about insomnia

>the dangers of xenophobia

If family A, killed Family B's father. They'd been better off.

We know the characters think symptoms show up quickly, hence leaving Will outside for about a day and a half.

Granted, they could be wrong, but in that regard, they could be wrong about all of the symptoms.

Recently, I've wondered if the mis-marketing of this movie was intentional. If we all thought it was a horror movie, we would enter it with the same anxious, paranoid mindset as the characters. Or am I giving A24 too much credit?

Yes. They wanted to get their money back in one weekend. Horror is a good way to do that. It backfired.

>suddenly the dog is sick
>the kid sleepwalks
>the original family is now infected

The dog runs off into the forest and presumabley comes back home to die a while later. The "obvious" solution is that the little kid opened the door for whatever reason and got infected. Am I missing something here?

I think black kid slept walked to find the dog, where he lets it back in and doesn't sleep close the door.

The little kid wakes up and plays with the dog and fall asleep on the floor.

Personally I agreed. I think that’s the most pragmatic way to approach it given what Family A had at risk. The stakes are far too high and quarantine protocol is definitely the number 1 priority in this kind of situation.

But then I considered their environment. They’re extremely isolated and we don’t know how much time had passed. Building a vetted community has extreme benefits if done competently, so I forgave him. That’s trying to build a future; through that lens, his xenophobia becomes antagonistic. Each group’s fear of what the other will think put them all at risk, ultimately fucking them all over. That’s the real villain— man’s innate fear of the proverbial “other”.

They should’ve isolated everyone, been more transparent, practiced better health procedures, etc. That’s the kind of effort you need to put in if you want to salvage your species.

Good decaf homebrew poster / retropixel 0.9 early access lofi retrowave. Made me not waste a minute longer on the movie itself.

The dog exhibits the signs of the disease by running off into the woods. So how'd he get infected if not for the other family?

Arthouse zombie movies are for cinema what walking simulators are for horror video games.

I think the dog was fine, until he ran off into the woods and came back infected.

The dog is the biggest inconsistency of the film

They did what they could.

The question is if the fear is justified. If Will and his family had just left instead of demanding food and water, what would have happened?

By the grandpa, we do not know how long the disease takes in animals. It could of had it and not shown any symptoms for week or so.

I didn't get that from it at all. The dog seems to be alerted to something in the woods, whether that be a person, a monster, or something else, goes after it and presumably gets fucked up. I don't think the dog did anything else out of character and it would have surely infected everyone else before it ran off.

He didn't seem too inclined to run off, user, especially while gnashing like that.

he wasn't just infected though, it was wounded badly with blood everywhere. Something got at it and then it wound up back at home, inside somehow

That's the monster

psychological horror

The movie gives you the information the characters have so you have to put yourself in their shoes to decide if their decisions are moral.

We can only go by what we're told. We don't know how long it takes in people either.

There isn't much reason given to assume the narration is unreliable about the infection.

The dog ran off to chase something in the woods

>it was wounded badly with blood everywhere

because it got into a fight with an infected animal

>it wound up back at home, inside somehow
black kid let it back in

>walking simulator

there is no such thing, right? R-Right?

But there were no monsters and nothing in the woods that we know of.

My take was

>Family shows up
>dog gets sick
>dog runs off
>comes back half dead from the disease

I think the most rational approach is to kill them. That’s the only way to guarantee longevity

Pulling them into the group took balls in the first place, but that has to be a one-way mortal agreement. Second he lets you in there is no leaving (at least for an extremely extended amount of time) because that’s the only way to ensure Family A’s inability to be compromised by disease or subterfuge from wounded feelings/desperation. With those meager numbers and no steady property surveillance you have to be ruthless and assume that everyone else will be the same...

The black kids father said it only took a day for symptoms to show in the grandpa. And the child started showing signs pretty much after a day as well. But the black kid still seemed healthy while the child was sick, but he definitely had it at that point as well. So maybe the old and young are less resistant to it, while animals and middle aged adults have a slower progression.

That's my take. They meet WIll because he was trying to loot their house. They demand food and water when they leave. Family A's belief that they'll keep coming back is completely justified.

Is it weird that Edgerton wasn't aware that his son was sleepwalking given his level of paranoia and alertness and also the conditions of their living situation in close proximity all the time?

Maybe. Maybe, maybe.

That's why I said we can only go by what we're told, which is as you said: symptoms show up quickly.

For all we know, they all could have been infected before the movie even started.

Honestly, they should have just killed Family B, when the black kid said they were sick.

paranoia is manifesting fear based on the unknown. They don't know what's out there, and they actively avoid finding out, allowing the manifestation of fear and anxiety to grow until they become extremely paranoid.

The dog could have fought an infected animal. We don't know. Clearly whatever it fought couldn't be that menacing, since the dog survived.

So there's not necessarily some big-bad-evil lurking in the forest.

"It comes at night" meaning fear, paranoia, anxiety.

>So there's not necessarily some big-bad-evil lurking in the forest.

does anyone think this? I know alot of us wish it was the case.

I know you think you're deep, but you're not.

(you)

The second Will lied over the bottle of rum about his employment, the most responsible thing to do was confront him dead-on, stating that that very lie directly jeopardized the capacity of both families to live together. That single moment compromised trust and transparency, rendering both sides enemies. If you want to build a community, call them out for that shit, and if they dodge you, firmly ask them to leave with some supplies.

Then when they exit the door, shoot Will in the back of the head.

Best way to protect the future.
Lazy/incompetent communication will be the end of our species

How does the infected dog get all the way back home?

(You)