Is the movie theatre industry's days numbered?

Filmmakers are making blockbuster movies like 'What Happened To Monday' exclusively for internet services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

People are enjoying the convenience of watching in the comfort of their own homes, being able to bring their own snacks and drinks and enjoying the movie without the nuisance of obnoxious strangers, high ticket prices for single viewing, missing important scenes by going to the bathroom or refilling your drink during an unpausable movie, or getting bedbugs from strangers[1].

Will Netflix and friends be the end of the theater hegemony?

[1]: theindychannel.com/news/local-news/indianapolis-movie-theater-treated-for-bedbugs

Other urls found in this thread:

netflix.com/title/80039717
netflix.com/title/60002907
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The day I can watch a new movie the same day it premieres without having to worry about some kid kicking my chair from behind will be one of the best days of my life.

you could do that with hitman's bodyguard

though why anyone would watch that movie willingly is beyond me

He's on sale for $49.99, while supplies last.

you know this movie was fine
didn't need 7 identical sisters though. It only existed so they could be named after a day of the week.
literally triplets would have been more than enough

It felt extremely small scale, had some really stupid sappy moments, and the acting from Noomi Rapace was way too on the nose (probably cause of the direction), but at least there were some interesting ideas in the movie, and there were actual threats and things at stake. At least this isn't some retarded film where physical conflict happens and nobody dies on screen, not even as collateral damage.

I also really liked the ending where the slowly intensifying screeches of babies imply that now humanity is well and truly fucked.

Shut up. I needed seven to see Noomi being killed 6 different ways.

i liked a lot of the film but 7 was just a bit too much for the movie to handle

I loved Friday the hackerfu.

Saturday was also nice. Specially after the reveal that she was a wizard.

*sneezes on you*

*gives you influenza*

>atchh... nothing personel uncle

Straight to video movies were always a thing.

Straight-to-DVD/VCR movies traditionally haven't enjoyed level of the success and exposure that new original streaming movies are now.

So basically this is gonna be a pleb Orphan Black?

Theaters will never completely go away but they'll end up like Drive-Ins where there's only one or two per state.

Are Americans this bad about theatre etiquette? I live in Winnipeg and going to the theatre is absolutely NO PROBLEM, everyone behaves. I've literally seen one guy use his phone in the theatre for less than five seconds before turning it off, everybody whispers and generally don't talk during the movie, and no one has crying babies or anything, even during kids flicks. I don't know if you guys just live in really poor areas or if Americans are seriously this bad with manners

Lets be honest here though, 99% of the original streaming movies aren't finding any kind of success either. Stuff like Okja and Beasts of No Nation are rare exceptions. Did people watch that Netflix original movie about special ops ghost hunting soldiers? Does ANYONE remember that Netflix did a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Yes, 350 million people in the most diverse country in the planet are all rude, you cracked the code

>Does ANYONE remember that Netflix did a sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Yes. I can watch it right now.

netflix.com/title/80039717

as well as the original film.

netflix.com/title/60002907

>sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

They what now?

Yeah man, end BIG THEATER and welcome the new age of streaming giants, where you don't get to see all the movies unless you pay for all streaming services crammed with content you'll never ever watch or care about, or just pirate it all, in which case, what was the point?

One time I was at a screening and a group of over 10 kids snuck in from another movie and they were making all kinds of noise and wouldn't stop. We threatened to report them and they bolted out.

It's pretty bad down here, man.

Kind of like how game consoles didn't kill off arcades, but reduced them to a rarity?

SISTER SISTER

Don't forget that you no longer have to yell or beat the shit out of people who use their fucking phones in the theatre.

I wonder how much it costs theatres to show an old movie compared to a new movie.
If the price wasn't that bad I'd probably pay to see movies like Gattaca in theatres.

buy the seat behind you

Noomi R. Apeface is repulsive to look at. What species is he/she/it?

Lots of shitskins have no common courtesy. There was an expensive movie theatre near me where only white people would pay the price, they got bought out by Carmike and now it's a hell hole

Some movies on Virgin Media appear at the same time, especially if they're subbed.