Anybody else here think it would be interesting to read a Superman story where he fucks up majorly in a very public way...

Anybody else here think it would be interesting to read a Superman story where he fucks up majorly in a very public way in his reporting job as Clark Kent, and is dealing with insecurity as a result? Something that really shakes his confidence in his non-costume life, that he has to contend with.

Maybe the resolution starts when, as Superman, he sees someone else struggling with confidence, and when he's trying to give them advice, he realizes it's good advice for him too.

Sure I want to see a story about Superman worried about his shitty job at the newspaper, I mean that's why I read Superman comics in the first place.

>Sure I want to see a story about Superman worried about his shitty job at the newspaper
Daily Planet shenanigans are fun

I read Superman comics because I like the character of Superman. Clark Kent is part of that character.

As opposed to seeing him punch nameless mook #2936272522 in the face?

I don't have a problem with it but that would be tricky for most writers to pull off without making Clark look like a train wreck.

I think guys raised like Supes was and what I always think is his natural mild mannerism don't talk much of their worries.

>there will never be a Daily Planet ongoing

Why must the batbooks get all the niche shit like Gotham Central

>don't talk much of their worries
Comics can always show worries in other ways. If absolutely necessary, thought bubbles or those narration boxes are always an option.

That said, if it were part of an arc with a clear beginning, middle, and end, I wouldn't mind him becoming a total train wreck if there were other factors besides being embarrassed on TV.

given the despicable, reprehensible things involved in journalism of all kinds, it would be more of a novelty if that didn't happen

True. I supposed I'm just used to people writing every character as a chatter box.

I would be very reserved for that kind of story. I think for something to unglue Clark that much would have to be something so big it would be out of tone for a Superman story.

>Clark Kent trying to be honest in a world of corruption

Now theres a story

That's called any decent Superman story.

>Not reading Superman for fun space adventures.

Why are you even here?

Yeah, but not as a Superman story, but a Clark Kent story.
Just one arc where he saves the day with his pen, not his powers.

They already did this way back in the golden age.

Ew no. I don't want him to mess up like that.

I read Superman for the humour to be honest. The darker stuff can be great and reflective sometimes but the moments that stand out for me are the brighter ones. Barring Injustice...

Read Superman: Under A Yellow Sun: A Novel By Clark Kent.

It would be interesting. If he fucks up and then has to deal a lot of bad office politics, have meetings with HR and the company psychiatrist and is beat down mentally and emotionally.

Sorry OP, we can't have DC heroes making mistakes.

In interest of NOT MUH where I think Superman is pretty stable, it'd take a pretty big snafu to make him into a trainwreck. Which I would find very interesting to read, but also probably hard for a writer to do in a way which isn't just life taking a dump on him

Sure, I want to see non-stop stories about superman fighting generic-villain-of-the-week as his grossly overpowered self with no flaws, weaknesses, or personal depth at all. I mean who needs depth.

We had depth, flaws, weakness, doubts, etc.
It was called Superbro and "real" Superman fans hated him so much DC had to declare him a fake and replace with the "original" Superman

>depth
"Depth" doesn't mean "piece of trash loser with thousands of flaws." You can have good characters without glaring flaws.

>Read Superman: Under A Yellow Sun: A Novel By Clark Kent.

Fucking this so hard. 90's Superman isn't my favorite Superman but it was a really good story about the character.

After Morrison's Action Comics which was wonderful and introduced thousands of ideas no one, absolutely no one, followed up on things ranged from mediocre to bad.

Ulysses was interesting but fairly one-note, there should have been more written about him and Superman. Can someone take Ulysses out of limbo? Super-flare was a lame power, but the non-powered issue of Superman was great. I like the idea of Jimmy being in the know on Superman's secret.

Wraith was the same, he shouldn't have been killed off and forgotten and it made Sam Lane too much of a heel. The implications to his history could have been great world building but no one did shit with him.

Hell-man was garbage, some with Super Doomsday, same with reduced power MMA Axe body spray Superman trying and failing to capture the feel of early Morrison Action Comics and assassinating Lois' character.

It was all downhill after Action Comics. Superman and son is the upswing. Just accept things are actually getting better.

>Sam Lane too much of a heel.

This is General Lane from New Krypton and other things. This is Lane not liking Clark as Lois' HUSBAND. He's the same Lane who wanted to experiment on Superman and approved Luthor's methods, created Metallo (and that's in the Morrison's Action run you are referring to - and FWIW, I do agree with you on the ideas introduced and then dropped by everyone else who came after that 19th issue or in the other Superbooks.

It's also the way Snyder wrote Lane in Superman Unchained, I don't see why you (or anyone else) would be that invested in Lane. I found nearly all the villains in the New 52 Superbooks, other than Lex or Brainiac, to be annoyingly named, ridiculously drawn (see Wraith, H'el, Ulysses, et. al.) and mostly annoying, story wise.

There's a collected edition called Superman Daily Planet (or something like that) - I found it pretty entertaining/interesting. I wouldn't want to read an entire on-going, but a 4 or 6 issue mini focused on something like that (which really doesn't work now, given that Superdad isn't going to be journalist Clark) and probably won't work in the near future, but just as they The Coming of the Supermen and American Alien, they could do something like that, just set in an amorphous past. They did a few Planet based digital first issues in the Adventures of Superman that worked well, they could probably work on some of those for something like this.

Ditto - as is the supporting cast. Just as people are fond of supporting elements in other comic books (e.g. Alfred, Flash' rogues, etc.) there's a market for that as well.

>fucks up majorly

This user is wrong - Most mainstream, major journalism do not get major stories wrong. They might retweet fake news (and because of this, as with the New Yorker writer who made up his stories and brass came down on EVERYONE EVERYWHERE, all of this is going to get more scrutiny), major stories that develop over time and require sources, and further stories, etc. (say an investigative piece on Iran-Contra, Clinton's Perjury/Consensual Sexcapades in the WH, Trumps litigious nature, etc.) are all going to be broken and then followed-up on by the source that broke it and everyone else.

Newspapers don't retweet fake news, that wouldn't be an investigative reporter's job. Someone on their digital media desk might reproduce on their web site, but Clark's mistakes would be more likely like believing a source, etc. And it's far more common that to break a news you need multiple sources, etc.

It's highly unlikely. What might be more likely is the stuff you see on House of Cards, or The Good Wife, or a movie, say, where a story might be buried in exchange for something else, or might be sat on. It would be out of character for Clark to do that, so I'm assume this would be written as a threat on Jon or a threat on Lois or both and doing the burying of an investigation on say Bruno/Intergang would work, perhaps.

That all said, I wouldn't be that keen to read it.

He was always a heel, but shelling the fortress of solitude goes a little beyond the sketchy black ops stuff he did in Action Comics. He shouldn't be -that- evil.

>ridiculously drawn

I agree with you here. Wraith in particular looks stupid, but I liked the idea of a "Superman before Superman". Ulysses could be excellent if anyone bothered to do anything more with him.

What is his fuck-up was accidentally giving news that turned out to be false and hurt somebody?

>introduced thousands of ideas no one, absolutely no one, followed up on

That's virtually anything Morrison has done in a shared universe. Even Seven Soldiers, basically a pilot for DC's underexposed characters. Nobody wants to follow Grant Morrison.

>There will never be anything about Zatanna and her protege having strange cosmic and magical adventures

>There will never be anything about Shining Knight trying to fit in at high school and the modern world at large.

>There will never be anything about Manhattan Guardian reporting on weird stuff while it happens

>There will never be anything about the Buletteer further exploring the non-superhero side of DC's metahuman population

>There will never be anything about Klarion living it up with the father box

WAKE ME UP

That's possible. Someone like Lex knows his identity and decides to fuck him over by creating an entirely able to be vetted, checked, etc. story that's actually totally false, which Clark submits and Perry signs off on, and then turns out to be false. Let's say it ends up exposing someone (a judge's son? best friend of some administration official or congress person, etc.?) and they get killed, or hurt very badly, or some such?

It might be a little too much of a story for a comic book where - even though people are liking the Superman Rebirth and Action story times, one of the big complaints I read on there is 'not enough punching.'

Again, they should do it as a mini, maybe something involving an exterior force (like when Apokolips was involved with Intergang and Bruno) then threatens more than just the surface issues dealt with on the news.

>Anybody else here think it would be interesting to read a Superman story

No

>Clark Kent has to review a video game that took out huge add space in the planet

I liked that episode of STAS where someone tries to assassinate clark with a car bomb

Something like this?

Go to bed Zack.

>Superman and son is the upswing
It's not really good. It's just nothing happens and Superman and his wife's son punching monsters and aliens week in and week out.
Accept it, there will be no decent Superman story until we have Berganza on board.

Its not the best but its better than what we've been having for awhile.

>Berganza
Seriously? What has he done that makes you think he can write Superman?

>What is Austen's run

Read some comics.

You know how gay this whole page looks, right?

Takes one to know one, eh?

>tries to strut her tits towards a total down-home farm boy from Kansas
>While his WIFE is in the very same room

Honestly, what was her plan there?

Wah wah wah