What went wrong Sup Forums?

What went wrong Sup Forums?

A piss poor script mixed with terrible CGI. Its possible that producers at the time thought Ryan Reynolds and a weird alien superhero story was enough to make a profit and didnt think they needed to work that hard. One of the biggest sins was being given so much material to work with and yet creating a forgettable movie set on Earth most of the time. First Flight is arguably the perfect Green Lantern movie and about what I wanted to see

A shambling chimera of several script mashed together. The overreliance on CGI that aged like milk and ended up giving us Ryan Reynold's face floating over a boneless cartoon sea for the big set piece moments. A romantic subplot so lacking in chemistry or remotional resonance that the most interesting thing on screen when the characters are expressing their feelings is the Pocket Fighter and NFL Bitz '99 machines in the background, a protagonist that shifts between angsty teenager and cocksure bag of dicks from scene to scene without ever stopping on "genuinely likable" to the point that the villain is the most sympathetic figure the movie has, and utterly blatant and derivative sequel hooks that completely paused the narrative.

The death blows for this movie were having so much of it set on Earth and jumping straight to Parallax

No space copping

Wasting the greatest Sinestro ever cast.

Whatever original movie was in there was pulled apart and stitched together into something unrecognizable by executives. Openly aping Marvel's formula for a shared universe didn't help either. Green Lantern's a hard sell at the best of times, they shouldn't have pinned all their hopes on him. Green Arrow might have been able to pull it off, shame they never made Supermax.

That said Magic Space Cop shouldn't be that hard a concept to do justice, just focus on the Cop part. All they had to do was just make Training Day in Space with Sinestro as Denzel Washington. First Flight did that and it was fine.

>managed to make Ryan Reynolds not likeable
This is how you know a movie is fucking terrible.

Also, they picked the worst Green Lantern.

tried so hard to be marvel while forgetting the most important thing

the logo

>Gets proven wrong about the power of the yellow light after Hal defeats Parallax
>Still dons the yellow ring in after credits for no reason other than sequel bait
Im still kind of mad about this

It wouldn't be Mark Strong if they didn't waste him.

They didn't just adapt First Flight into live action, because they're retarded.

I'm amaze at how Mark Strong has made an entire career out of playing underused villains.

He was pretty good in the RDJ Sherlocke Holmes movie.

They used Hal instead of an actual character

>tfw his one heroic role is the voice of the protagonist in Space Marine, a game so mediocre it helped kill THQ

Hal could've worked just fine, but they fucked it up. And let's be honest, there was literally zero chance they were ever going to do someone else to start with.

The idea for the suit was cool, but should have been kept to only for certain parts, like how Ironman's armor isn't always CG but only in parts where it's too complex for practical/real outfits.

And fuck that mask, it seriously looks like a bad photoshop, am I the only one seeing it look a bit askew on Ryan's face?

In the year of our lord 2016, I wouldn't have put it past them to at the very least consider John.

I concur. First Flight in live-action for two hours is the Green Lantern movie we needed and deserved.

Fine. Then they should use Guy. Nobody wants to see John.

Simon Baz was in this movie?

>> Actually uses "it's the current year"

Go back to Tumblr.

>telling someone who's joking to go to tumblr

I ought to smack you for misusing Sam like that, cunt.

Well it wasn't made in 2016.

But be honest here, we all know major studios are way too scared to launch a superhero film series without doing the origin story, and if they changed to origin to someone other than Hal then fans and "fans" alike would've lost their shit.

The fact that we got Ant Man where they started with Scott instead of Hank was a beautiful accident resulting from a mixture of lucky happenstance and nobody giving a fuck about Ant Man before the movie released.

A fully CGI suit was perhaps one of the dumbest creative decisions of the entire movie. He should have had a well made suit, enhanced by CGI effects. Something more uniform, not that second skin style they tried to do. Also pic related is perhaps my favorite redesign that solves the mask issue

Literally everything, the end.

>The fact that we got Ant Man where they started with Scott instead of Hank was a beautiful accident resulting from a mixture of lucky happenstance and nobody giving a fuck about Ant Man before the movie released.
It surely has nothing to do with Hank's domestic abuse being fucking box office poison.

> his one heroic role

Nigga, he also played Merlin. Which was some damn smart casting, because the comic + Strong playing him had everyone guessing he'd be the mole.

>Hank Pym having a mental breakdown and hits his wife ONE TIME
>Forever branded an abusive wife beater
Im not saying Hank is mentally stable and he deserves shit for striking Janet but we got carried away with demonizing Hank