Vietkino

Episode 5 of The Vietnam War tonight at 8 EST

How are you guys enjoying it?

Other urls found in this thread:

prxy.party/torrent/18615207/The.Vietnam.War.S01.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.264-TOPKEK
youtube.com/watch?v=eQdFGr7NQ4o&list=PL0679IGx8w0jpry6P-xHoqfoWrgbxUn03
youtube.com/watch?v=5lNp4AcYI8w
youtube.com/watch?v=MLTR9P57UEk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Aboslute kino and this is coming from a Brit.

>Mogley's story
>Episode 4
>One Too Many Mornings plays when they visit the family to tell them what happened

This guy was a fucking badass.

The war in Afghanistan today seems very similar to this one.

LBJ was a total fucking disaster as a president; how isn't he considered the worst president in history?

>60k dead
>55k in 5 years
>Very similar to this one

Hmmm

Yes my favorite story. Also loved the segment of the Vietcong seeing Americans cry and thinking they too were humanist.....just not an angle we typically get. God bless Ken burns.

Because of Civil Rights -- getting those "niggers to vote Democrat for the next 200 years" with his welfare state establishment -- and the Immigration Act -- "it won't cause a change in demographics."

Fuck him.

Anyone else disappointed to find out Ken Burns was a draft dodger?

it's understandable. only dumb people weren't able to avoid the draft.

> side story about poor Viet cong struggling to feed his wife and kids
> non-stop fighting has made him stressed and constantly angry
> gets drunk and fucks a local prostitute
> his wife confronts him
> it ain't me starts playing

Stopped watching right there.

If I were in his position I'd feel embarrassed to look the men he's interviewing in the eyes. He's never sacrificed for his country, yet he's making a living by drawing shame to it.

It's still a great documentary but this disgusts me.

I mean it's another war being fought without an end by the US.

Which episode features My Lai?

i thought his number was going to get called and then the war was over?

Good stuff. I wasn't aware of all the French involvement leading up to the war. Vietnam wasn't really covered much in school when I was a kid.

>For his country
>Sacrifice
>Shame
>Feeling embarassed about not being blown to bits by people who want to free their country from foreign influence

It's like you're not really listening to what's being said on that documentary.

4th one was heavy

it comes off as if his indecisiveness was what REALLY sent it over the edge. he just couldn't decide on what to do and so they ended up stuck there

pic related
E03 @ ~53:00

>Vietnam wasn't really covered much in school when I was a kid.
It never is.

>you will never be a grizzled and aging waffen SS veteran who lost everything in WW2 only to join the french foreign legion to continue your crusade against bolshevism in south east asia only to meet your end during an epic last stand at dien bien phu fighting the viet minh in hand to hand bayonet combat after your position was overrun because you ran out of ammo

Why does the word for thatch houses matter? Does every Viet have a degree in Japanese word etymology?

GOOK FUCKING SHITS

Fuckin hell that Marine has seen some serious shit. You can tell he's holding back for the cameras.

It illustrates that to the Americans, Vietnam wasn't really distinct from any other place military adventures had been conducted. Just another spot on the map, not a place with history and culture and people of its own. Slurs their grandfathers had coined in Central America, words for houses lifted from their fathers' time in the Pacific.

Inanimate objects can't be slurred.

Fuck, I missed the first 34 minutes of this.

the whole thing is released in 1080p. im on episode 13

now when people look at the Rage Against The Machine self titled album cover they will know what its about.

thanks Ken Burns

see this in the bush what do you do Sup Forums?

UGH! COME ON!!!

Where do I find this online, its not available outside of USA

I be American and get shot.

>On episode 8

>It ain't me STILL hasn't started playing yet

Only available in Vietnam.

buy a VPN, choose US ip address, pbs.org

T I G E R

F O R C E

>soundtrack by Trent Reznor
>is actually just songs from Ghosts

>LT talkign about when he was ambushed in ep 4
>His men dying all around him or being wounded
>Eventually gets wounded but survives
>nurse in the hospital tells him he should stop crying since he was an officer
>sergeant tells her he doesn't have to stop doing anything
Pls Mr. Burns, I didn't want to feel this

>tfw LBJ is shit at picking targets.

For whatever reason I had a highschool US history teacher who taught us quite a bit about the Vietnam War, even all the French bullshittery leading up to the war

He was a based as fuck history teacher

>im on episode 13
So you watched 26 hours in like 3 days? Ok

>free their country from foreign influence
YOU MEAN THE COMMUNISTS? ENDLESS FLOWS FROM THE CHINESE BORDER?

SHOULDA NUKED THE WHOLE PLACE FLAT

prxy.party/torrent/18615207/The.Vietnam.War.S01.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H.264-TOPKEK

1080p torrent

3 days is plenty of time. thats like 72 hours kid

>tfw never be in the nam wasting dinks with my tiger force bros

>watching this bullshit correct the record mockumentary

Great narration and interviews but I don't like this so far or the Civil War series. In both it seems like they try and cover so many different points that it just feels shallow.

He was probably the greatest domestic politican in the 20th century. Even Nixon admits this, however he was fucking clueless about foreign policy and allowed the Kennedy leftovers like McNamara run everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=eQdFGr7NQ4o&list=PL0679IGx8w0jpry6P-xHoqfoWrgbxUn03

This is the best Vietnam documentary from a purely military perspective

greatest domestic politican
>THE GIBS SOCIETY
POST THE QUOTE ABOUT GETTING THE DARKIES TO VOTE DEMOCRAT FOR THE NEXT 200 YEARS

LBJ WAS A CLEVER FUCKER, QUITE PROBLEMATIC THOUGH

Darkies were already voting Democrat. He passed civil rights because it was tearing his party apart and he was tired of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=5lNp4AcYI8w
youtube.com/watch?v=MLTR9P57UEk

truly aesthetic

CIVIL RIGHTS WAS A SIDESHOW, IT WAS ABOUT DEM PROGRAMS

THE GREAT SOCIETY'S SELLING POINT IN EXCHANGE FOR VOTES WAS THE EXPLOSION OF WELFARE

>Song Be
Best RS2 map senpai

I'm watching on YouTube. Just search the titles

He's hardly drawing shame to the American military or America in general except in those instances where he brings up things about which we would should be ashamed.

There are no good or bad Americans really with regard to the draft. Just those who were smart, lucky, or important enough to dodge it, and those who weren't. Both groups were victims.

Vietnam really was the most kino war

>it ain't me never starts playing
Will Ken be able to keep up his fortitude?

>$30 million cost

I wonder how much of that was for music rights?

BURNED

it's driving me mad desu

Most of the artists gave him licenses for very very low fees. I imagine most of that was spent on salaries for researchers and editing.

That wasn't for their country. When did Vietnam ever threaten to attack or overthrow the US? Those soldiers were just sent to die by politicians who couldn't care less about them.

This, fucking hell.

My high school history teacher hated him so much because he had several students of his get sent to Vietnam and die. He called him his least favorite president.

There are a large number of people who labor under the delusion that if you believe you are fighting for your country, then you are doing so without regard to weather or not the conflict you are involved in is actually just. That you have a duty to "answer the call" when your country conscripts you no matter how inadvisable or downright morally repulsive the war they are sending you to is.

None of them will allow that bullshit cop out from the nazis of course. But our boys are different dontcha know, and anyone who disagrees is a commie liberal

The dominos user, it's crystal clear. First Vietnam then Thailand then some fucking islands and THEN ALL THE COMMUNIST BULLETS FROM EVERY AK47 FLY 6000 MILES HITTING LITTLE JIMMY IN THE ARM

It's a typical Ken Burns documentary. If you know nothing about the topic (like Burns) you'll love his documentaries. If you know something about it you'll find the documentary interesting but overall deeply flawed. If you know everything you'll dislike the documentary.

I know a lot and I enjoy colorized and restored footage and all the personal accounts. Its hard to get all that stuff in one place. I am enjoying this shit personally

>he doesn't believe in domino theory

The stories told by real people are still entertaining and compiling all that archive footage is pretty amazing. Those things are mainly what makes his documentaries good.

Same. The story from tonight's episode with the Marine that got shot in the chest was fucking intense.

I am an AI that was formed from all the documents from every country in the world regarding the war in Indochina, all the footage and all the interviews. The documentary is alright

Reminder that Vietnam was a war worth fighting and if Nixon had been elected in 1960 or 64 we would have won.
Vietnam was but a battle in the larger war against international Communism and spread of Soviet and Chinese influence.

Hopefully they've already forgot about the album.

What about All Along the Watchtower?

Yes if 70% of the world would have fallen under Soviet influence I'm sure everything would have been just fine!

>We didn't torture or kill any prisoners
>Then again they had to have made it to the rear to be consider a prisoner

Vietnam wasn't under Soviet influence. It was under Chinese influence. They explain it in the documentary. Also one little nation on the other side of the world isn't "70%."

Kennedy said the fall of Vietnam will cause a domino effect. And he was proven wrong. It spread to one or two other nations and then it was contained and then it died (except for the official propaganda purposes).

>tfw will be able to watch it when the torrent finishes this time on Sunday

And it wasn't a Chinese puppet. They went to war not long after the country was unified due to Vietnam invading Cambodia. God damn, decade after decade of endless war.

why are you typing in all caps? It doesn't change the fact you obviously know nothing about political history in america.

>Vietnam wasn't under Soviet influence. It was under Chinese influence.
It was both, and either one expanding power was and should have been considered unacceptable.
>They explain it in the documentary. Also one little nation on the other side of the world isn't "70%."
All of Eastern Europe and most of Central Asia as of the time period of the Vietnam war. South East Asia was primed to domino, then in the 70's and 80's it was South America and the Middle East. Yes, most of those revolutions failed or took another course ultimately. Largely because we actively fought a worldwide proxy war to stop it.
After we spent over a decade bombing them to shit and continued to use other means to undermine its spread afterward.

Lost to Communists twice
Germancucks never learn do they

For decades, LBJ WAS considered one of the worst fucking Presidents of the 20th Century. Mainly for turning Vietnam into a clusterfuck.

It wasn't until Obama getting elected, that the media started trying to "rehab" his image.

They started pushing hard the Civil Rights shit super duper hard as his "real" legacy and Obama started declassifying all of the tapes of Nixon cockblocking peace talks in 1968 so they could shift all the blame for the war onto Nixon.

They also started embracing the "evil Machiavellian bastard" meme started by Oliver Stone; pushing the notion of LBJ as a magnificent bastard type manipulator who crushed anyone who tried to fuck with him. See House of Cards, for an example in terms of the writers outright stating Frank Underwood is an expy of LBJ

Critics have made a big stink about how the film includes "mysoginistic" moments like that.

It went better in Africa in the 60s

To be fair, that was on purpose if you believe the conspiracy theory that LBJ went along with the assassination of JFK in exchange for allowing the CIA and Deep State fucks escalate the war

Great Society was a giant failure I can't believe they managed to spin it into a great success.

I hear a lot that America failed in Vietnam because South Vietnam obviously got taken, but I've also heard that America's presence there and fighting the war is something that helped other South East Asian countries shore up their defenses against Communism and preventing the Domino Effect from happening.

Is that right? Because I've always heard that Vietnam was a total failure but if we helped save those other countries that's pretty good. Maybe not worth the 8 years of war and loss of life and material but still something.

Ho Chi Minh literally did nothing wrong. He was a nationalist first and a communist second as well as a massive Ameriboo. He wrote lots of letters to the US asking for help.

If the United States supported Vietnam's independence movement against the French, it could have been a very different country today. Just imagine an anti-communist ally bordering China. Too bad France was an ally of the US.

Taking a class on Vietnam in college was quite an illuminating experience because everything fucked seemed to stem from France being a whiny bitch and refusing to give up their last colony. Truly the worst European nation.

They received military aid from both the Soviets and the Chinese, but weren't truly under the thrall of either. The Vietnamese, particularly the educated leaders of the politburo, knew their own history re: China and had no desire to be under their thumb politically.

>Too bad France was an ally of the US.

>De Gaulle: hey if you don't let us take back our colonies, we may go soviet...

man the vietnamese hated the french

The greatest lessons to learn from Vietnam, Iran, Afghanistan, and Iraq are those of civil governance in your puppet regimes- always be absolutely certain they aren't actually insane motherfuckers who are worse than your enemies. This is one thing the US government hasn't had a great deal of success with.

>First Sgt. Pascal Cleatus Poolaw Sr. served this country through three wars, and gave up his life in Vietnam.

>Poolaw has been called America's most decorated American Indian Soldier with 42 medals and citations. Among his medals are four Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars. He also earned three Purple Hearts, one for each of the wars in which he fought - World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.

>The fourth Silver Star was awarded posthumously after Poolaw died during action in Vietnam. On Nov. 7, 1967, Poolaw's unit, Company C, 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry, was part of a search and destroy mission near the village of Loc Ninh.

>His devotion to his Soldiers was exceeded only by the love of his Family. Poolaw served in Vietnam trying to spare his son the horrors of war.

>When his son, Lindy, received orders for Vietnam, Poolaw volunteered for the combat zone with the hope of serving there in place of his son. Regulations prohibit two members of the same Family from serving in combat at the same time without their consent.

>Another of Poolaw's sons had already been in Vietnam, which added to his wanting to spare Lindy. His son, Pascal Cleatus Poolaw Jr., a Spc. 4, had been wounded in Vietnam in February 1967. The younger Poolaw was hit by a mine and received metal fragments in the legs. His right leg had to be amputated below the knee.

>When the senior Poolaw finally reached the port of departure on the West Coast, he discovered Lindy had left for Vietnam the day before. He decided to follow his son.

Geez.