Best: Archer & Armstrong (2012)

Worst: A&A (2016)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PIwZOPIGF-c
youtube.com/watch?v=Ow1vfiijaLM
mediafire.com/?45sci5uun3mbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No idea what went wrong with A&A.
Hope purse guy won't disappear completely.

Aw, that sucks. I haven't read Archer and Armstrong in awhile, but loved the 2012 series. What went wrong?

It lost literally everything that made the first series so great.
>Archer is no longer a badass
>they don't go on conspiracy busting adventures
>the Sect has been all but forgotten
>it's basically bereft of action scenes
>tapping into the akashic record isn't near as in depth or cool
>it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

To be fair, I adored issue 5, the Faith/Archer date, but everything else has been complete drivel.

Wow, pity. I wish I had been keeping up with Valiant the past few years. It was easier back when they only had like 4 titles.

Anything good by them now that's relatively easy to get into?

>>the Sect has been all but forgotten
Didn't guy from One Percent show up in last issue or somesuch?

Honestly, the back half of this year has been really hit or miss. Lemire's Bloodshot Reborn (and subsequently, Bloodshot USA) is consistently great. I really like Faith, although I understand that a lot of people here will be turned off by it. It's just the most Superman-esque hero I've ever seen. She really stands for nothing but being a genuinely good person that helps people for the sake of helping people. Plus, it's really funny. Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is awesome, but ending in December. Still highly recommended though. Brittania has been really good, and Harbinger: Renegade got off to a nice start last week.

I don't like Gen. Zero because they could've done so much more with these characters. Ninjak is extremely hit or miss. The next arc starting in January looks interesting.

Savage starts next week and is getting rave reviews. And Divinity III (starting in December) looks absolutely stunning. I think that's everything...

One guy from the 1% =/= The Sect.

Plus, I said ALL BUT forgotten. There have been a few instances of The Sect showing up, as far as I'm aware. They just don't play as important of a role as they did in the first series.

is Divinity III the Superman Red Son event? or its own thing?

I'm interested in what they do with the X-O Manowar relaunch.

I've only read the first arc of A&A but it felt like it was trying really hard not to be a rehash of Van Lente's A&A. Also serious pacing issues

didn't the first series pretty much end with them defeating the sect?

plus, I'm sure they don't want to just spend the new book just going over plot points of the first one.

>is Divinity III the Superman Red Son event?
Yes.
>or its own thing?
Yes.
It's also going to have 4 one-shots... Komandar Bloodshot, Aric: Son of the Revolution, and Shadowman and the Battle of New Stalingrad. The fourth one hasn't been revealed yet.

>I'm interested in what they do with the X-O Manowar relaunch.
Me too, but I'm very skeptical. I hope it goes full cosmic.

>it felt like it was trying really hard not to be a rehash of Van Lente's A&A.
>trying really hard
Oh yea.

I suppose that's fair. I just wish they would have something to do. At the end of the first series, Archer was actually in charge of the sect, although I think he dissolved it? The separate factions are still running around though I think.

when are we getting that War Mother series?

Valiant and Van Lente kept hinting like the character would be back after everyone enjoying the 4001 one-shot

>It's also going to have 4 one-shots... Komandar Bloodshot, Aric: Son of the Revolution, and Shadowman and the Battle of New Stalingrad. The fourth one hasn't been revealed yet.
This is what I wanted Divinity II to be.

At NYCC they said stay tuned for War Mother and they also said they would be announcing an upcoming Van Lente book, so I assume it will probably be March or April since they'll have 3 or 4 open spots in their line.

Best: Bloodshot Reborn
Worst: Shadowman

Best: Harbinger/Imperium

Worst: Unity

The one shot wasn't very good IMO.

Its funny how the green ranger is playing Bloodshot in the movie.

Best: 4001 AD or the Valiant, if minis don't count, Bloodshot Reborn

Worst: Imperium maybe. Or Pak's Eternal Warrior

>Worst: Imperium maybe
Woah, woah, woah. We're going to argue about this, user.

Hair should be just little shorter.

>It was easier back when they only had like 4 titles.
Whaaaaaaaa?
And this is just my 90-s collection.

Best: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, The Valiant, Bloodshot: Reborn, Britannia, Ivar, Timewalker

He thought of pic related, when Valiant relaunched.

Nah fuck you. The ongoing adventures of Toyo were terrible. Even worse than Shadowman before Milligan took over.

I wanted to argue but you got trips so no matter what I say will be in vain.

My bad. After Valiant i start reading Acclaim Comics and now reboot, always have something new.

>Worst: Imperium maybe.
But why? How? What could you possibly see in this that is in any way bad?

At least you didn't judge comic by cover and thought Archer and Armstrong is about fat drunk Lenin.

I love Valiant. First thing a know about it is this game youtube.com/watch?v=PIwZOPIGF-c this isn't my favourite shadowman, Jack Boniface is but it was pretty cool.

Yeah, they had bunch of games. Acclaim and whatnot. Think they had bunch of MMOs years ago?
Also, thank god on the future.
>tfw old Lara Croft and her cubical boobs

This looks fucking awful. Michael Noire? Really?

Best: Imperium
Worst: Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel

the writer didn't read van lente's run properly.

>archer no longer has the psiot powers he learned when fighting PRS
>the akashic record is literally just archer using kung fu moves
>meme characters like davey the mackerel that arent funny
>sect is nonexistant
>the archer cult is nonexistant
>not even a mention of Ivar or Gilad

youtube.com/watch?v=Ow1vfiijaLM

Well

faith is a very important comic in the valiant universe because shes literally the only person in valiant who is a real hero (bloodshot has the same heroic kind of heart but the majority of his stories are about battling with things beyond his control and trying to find freedom rather than going out and doing heroics)

i think van lente is doing savage right now, i expect war mother will come in with the next phase, theres talk of a new x-o run too.

Most of other Valiant heroes leave trail of decapitated bodies behind them. I'm probably wrong but I think that only Quantum and Woody didn't kill anyone.

yeah but quantum and woody are completely self interested, they aren't heroic whatsoever.

Best: The Valiant
Worst: Bloodshot and the Hard Corps

It's for the digital series, not the movie

>Worst: Bloodshot and the Hard Corps
bad taste desu

Bro-tier wife.

Yeah, that was great arc. And fucking agent Kozol

This is probably as good place to ask as any. So, Comixology is having a line wide sale on Valiant, rather conveniently. >inb4 buying digital comics

But the only Valiant series I've read so far is Archer & Armstrong (2013) last summer. Which I enjoyed.
Where do I go from here? From what I've read X-O Manowar and Harbinger seem like solid starts and they do seem interesting to me. What else should I look into?

if youre reading harbinger you might as well read bloodshot too since they cross over

>buying digital comics
mediafire.com/?45sci5uun3mbk

Bloodshot Reborn is GOAT, as is Rai. Dr Mirage is criminally underrated. I'd recommend their minis, and anything leading up to the minis too.

Holy fucking shit, 1090 issues.
Anyway, you'll want Delinquents.

Eh, the other snippet is pretty good, but I distinctly recall thinking overall it was pretty shallow at the time. I'll probably give it a rerread someday.

What do you like/want? If it's something like A&A, Quantum and Woody should scratch that itch

>literally
Van Lente's doing Gen. Zero. B. Clay Moore (whoever the fuck that is) is writing Savage.

While I enjoyed A&A, I'm looking for something a tad more serious in tone. What do you reckon?

>B. Clay Moore (whoever the fuck that is) is writing Savage.
He wrote pic related. I remember it catching my eye when I looked at Image's catalog but I didn't read it.

>I distinctly recall thinking overall it was pretty shallow at the time.
Agreed. The series came off as just a series of boring adventures, and the lackluster art didn't help either.

Mission: Improbable was fantastic though, so it definitely wasn't all bad. Major Palmer is a badass, and the idea behind the HARD Corps themselves is solid.

he wrote JSA Liberty Files which is a very good underrated elseworlds

>JSA Liberty Files
is "JSA LIBERTY FILES: THE WHISTLING SKULL" good? This part i never read.

Red Tornado or Amazo?

Man it's hard to nail this down into one post. There are a significant amount of solid books that Valiant has released. I'd say they're batting at about a 4/5 average, but here's the absolute must-reads that I think you should check out if you're wanting to dive headfirst into the Valiant U... in my humble opinion.

X-O Manowar 1-14 (Vol. 1-3)
Harbinger
Quantum & Woody (at least the first volume)
Unity Vol. 1 (this is series is wildly inconsistent, but the first arc is amazing)
Rai (at least the first volume)
Imperium
Ninjak (at least the first volume)
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Divinity
Bloodshot Reborn

And literally all of the events range from really good to stellar:
Harbinger Wars
Armor Hunters
The Valiant
Book of Death
4001 AD

Just look of the synopses to some of these and see if anything looks interesting to you.

>stealing from a struggling company that makes up less than 1% of a struggling industry.

Not saying pirating is never appropriate, but you've gotta be quite the asshole to steal everything you read.

Arabian Genie Tornado.

>struggling
they are doing fine lol, they got a huge investment from some massive chinese company

I mean, I don't think they're going to tank or some shit, but they are definitely a tiny as company, in the grand scheme of things. Their best selling books makes does maybe 20,000 copies, and everything else is around the 5000-8000 range, and they're barely gaining any traction year after year. In no way is that considered "doing well" in the comic industry.

I agree completely. This new writer is trash. And he's also doing the Harbinger book but that it least seemed to habe an alright first issue

It's what I expected after the woman came in

Oh. I mixed up volumes. I thought pic related is for Divinity 2.
Oh well, RED DAWN will come, Sup Forumsmrade!
Wonder what could fourth be. Harada vs government?

Don't know about that guy but it didn't seem like it was going anywhere.

Did anything actually come from it except the dimension-hopping super scientist parasite?

Art wasn't any good either

theyre doing incredibly well, what the fuck are you talking about. there is no other superhero publisher outside of big 2 who sells as well as valiant, and there are literally hundreds of comic book companies who could never dream of breaking the top 25 comics ever. they've been around for only 5 years but they outperform oni press, archie, zenescope and avatar press

read this, its the ending of imperium and harbinger

Thanks for the thorough post. This is really helpful.
What about Bloodshot & Eternal Warrior (both pre-Reborn & pre-Wrath of-)? Curious as to why you didn't mention those.
Based on the synopses I'm most interested in X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Imperium, Unity, Eternal Warrior (and the Wrath of) & Bloodshot (as well as Reborn).
Glad that I've got tax returns today.

>they outperform oni press, archie, zenescope and avatar press
and they only put out 10 books per month and have nowhere near as many staff to pay as these companies

first eternal warrior run is SHIT and got cancelled after 2 arcs (and leaves 2 unresolved cliffhangers to this day), it's essentially non-canon.

Bloodshot is good but has a couple of iffy arcs, the weakest of early valiant but still a good comic

Wrath of Eternal Warrior gets ignored a lot, I think. His daughter appears there and absolutely never is she mentioned after.

Wasn't that set like 20-30 years in the future where Toyo sent himself into outer space and came back and blew himself up against Peter?

That wasn't the ending. That was the book of death tie-in. Each character's Book was set in their own universe. In that book the Harbinger Foundation won and spread, in Ninjak's book Silk took over everywhere, in X-O's, there seemed to be relative peace for the most part.

Oni, Avatar and Archie don't put out ten books a month.

Don't know about Zenescope

Theyre all conpletely canon mate, dont know where you got that from. That is the ending to the harbinger saga.

Valiant puts out 10 books a month but still beats those companies is what im saying

Where are you even getting that it's the end of the harbinger saga?

And how would they all be canon? It's a shared universe.

>implying Doug Braithwaite and CAFU suck
Come on bruh.

No it didn't really go anywhere. It had quite the first and second acts, but never had a finale, which it could've desperately used. Regardless, I'm very happy with what we got. It got canceled because it's sales were abysmal, so I can't really blame Valiant.

Nothing in them contradicts each other and valiant explicitly said theyre all the canon deaths of those characters. Fall of Ninjak is literally a prelude to Rai.

The cataclysm at the end of harbinger book of death is why earth is so fucked in eternal warrior arc 2, rai and that issue of ivar in the future

Dude what? All of the Book of Death 'Fall of' tie-ins actually happen in the future. They chronicle exactly what happens to their respective characters when they die. It's 100% canon.

Holy shit, you really think the events of the tie-ins, aren't canon, don't you? Wow... What's it like to realize that you just read the future and didn't even know it?

You might be thinking of the scene's from the Geomancer's book, drawn by Doug Braithwaite? Those events happened in the universe in which Master Darque wasn't defeated by Gilad and Tama. So basically, they might happen, might not. We'll see.