What is it about Hindu Mythology that prevents its characters, motifs...

What is it about Hindu Mythology that prevents its characters, motifs, and storylines from being as prevalent and popular in pop culture as Greek, Norse, Germanic, and Japanese mythologies?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Simply? Nobody cares about them.

hindu mythology is EVERYWHERE in western fiction

the reference are so ingrained in mainstream entertainment that no one even recognizes them anymore

Like?

Because most westerners will bite their tongues trying to pronounce most of their names.

I still can't keep track of half of the names in 18 Days.

Because those other mythologies come from religions which are either dead or dying whereas Hinduism is alive and well, and there's significant fear of offending Hindus with depictions which don't particularly line up with the worshipers' own headcanons regarding their gods.

Shinto is still kinda-sorta a thing, that doesn't stop a million Raiden/Raijins from existing.

Because Hindus are almost Muslim-tier when it comes to taking their religion lightly, you only don't hear their screaming because their numbers in the West are lower

>What is it about Hindu Mythology that prevents its characters, motifs, and storylines from being as prevalent and popular in pop culture as Greek, Norse, Germanic, and Japanese mythologies?
The absence of a titanic, influential Indian entertainment industry.

Bollywood is huuuuge, but it doesn't have an inch of Western (where Norse and Greeks are heavily ingrained) or Japanese industries' cultural footprint.

At least they don't use their nukes at every fucking chance they get.

Because followers of that faith are still around, and bitch if people do anything with it.
Fuck, there's one dipshit who went off on everything from Brahman being in SMT to one vaguely Hindu Overwatch character.
I mean, the Japanese are still around, but given how much they butcher and cannibalize the corpse of Christianity to make weirdly entertaining media (would Evangelion be half as well remembered without the gratuitous Bible references?), it'd be hypocritical for them to bitch when someone does something with Shinto... even if it's mostly the Japs doing anything with it.

80% of Indians are Hindu, like 5% of Japanese people are devout Shintoists.

Never forget assblasted Pajeets killed Clone High.

Remember when they had a skin of Kali in Smite and some journalists lost their mind? That's why

They're not white. Not even race-baiting.

Because outside of South-West Asia Hinduism is largely completely absent.

Meanwhile Christanity is everywhere, and Greek/Norse/Germanic stuff is popular with the cultures which actually put out pop culture

I would also add Rome to the list of things which are prevalent

From what I understand a lot of Japanese treat Shinto as more philosophy than religion, which might also explain why they don't get assblasted over its media portrayals.

Because Hindus are pretty violent, right below muslims when it comes to their faith.

>germanic mthologies
what? never heard them

They are literally white to the point they have divinities that diverged from the same pool of influences that the celts and greeks had

Yeah, but the Japanese don't care. They just gleefully and incompetently appropriate Christian myth and symbolism in the same way that westerners badly use Shinto myth.

I don't think appropriation is a thing outside of American SJW circles.

IS there much of a difference between Greek, Nordic and Hindu mythology? They are all the same unoriginal shit.

What happened?

There's a Japanese proverb that the average man is born Shinto, is married a Chrsitian, and is buried a Budhist-- and that those are the only three times in his life that religion will affect him.

Then you need to read more, man.

Isn't reincarnation their thing?

Norse = Odin, Thor
Germanic = Wotan, Donar

Much the same but different names

Well, the act is, but no one outside of SJWs give a shit.

not enough sexy gods

>not enough sexy gods
>Hindu
Son, that's just ignorance.

Eh... germanic mythology is laughable.
Finnish mythology is more well known

It's weird that no one mentions Egyptian or Chinese or Slavic mythologies, but oh well

I remember when it was called sharing culture instead of appropriation

Well, sort of? In Brazil there's a major soap opera focused on Japanese and Italian immigrants, except the patriarch of the Japanese family is a white guy in yellowface and Japanese actresses are basically window dressing for his scenes, there was some degree of outrage over it, but eventually it just blew over and nothing came of it.

it's because indian media are not popular outsie of india.
Western myths are obviously popular in the western world, and with the power of things like hollywood have reached wider audiences. Japanese myths are popular due to manga and anime.
Only india cares about bollywood.

To complicated

Not muh Ghandi, this is disrespectful, we demand it's taken off the air.

I bet they had a hard time finding Japanese actors that speak Portuguese.

The Little Princess was my introduction to Hinduism. It was pretty dope.

Hinduism is way cooler than Shintoism.

>sharing culture
That's the one, but sometimes the ideas get mixed up in the mail. Like Christmas entirely in Japan.

Egyptian mythology is sort of better known, if only because of mummy stuff.

People probably could name the basic gods and goddesses like Ra, Osiris, Isis, Set, Horus and Anubis.

Oh yeah thanks a lot for stealing the name of a sexy queen goddess, terrorists.

Brazil has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan in the world. Lots of ethnically Japanese people who speak Portuguese there.

I wonder how true that is.

Actually, what actual mainstream media uses Japanese mythology? Do you think the average Westerner could really name a myth or mythological figure?

I don't agree, after all Japan does the best Christmas Cake.

Uhh... Mortal Kombat's Raiden?

I just knew now that he's from Japanese mythology.

Huh. The more you know.

>germanic mythology is laughable.

Fairy Tales, dude.

>They just gleefully and incompetently appropriate Christian myth and symbolism

Not All Japs.

It's because it would pale in comparison to this.

>I don't think appropriation is a thing outside of American SJW circles.

Finally! An excuse to post this image.

We have reached a new depth in this rabid hole

It's an active religion so people might actually take offense to certain depictions. All the other ones you mentioned have been dead for years.

Yes, but all the popular gods have the aesthetic of being pasty white. I think it's an aesthetic / pride / power thing. Same reason why Jesus is depicted as Caucasoid. You can't have darker skinned people being seen as superior in western media or mythology because that legitimizes those people and their beliefs.

All the angels and demons and other Christianity stuff though.

never ate one

Maybe if they would export movies that weren't all four hour long minimum musicals this will change.

That wasn't why, even though Indira Ghandi was one of the anti-Clone High bunch. MTV just cancelled every cartoon after a season with the exception of Beavis and Butthead

hindu isn't polytheistic like people in the west think it is. all their deities are actually the same being, just different aspects of that singular god.

Eh, it's not as bad now as it used to be. I wouldn't go as far as to compare Hindus to Muslims, Islam is just a really shitty version of an Abrahamic religion anyway.

America is a very Christian-centric country but they are very lax about their religion being used or even mocked.

On an almost related note The Hellblazer is covering Djinn right now. Most in the comments section of the site I use to read seem perturbed about this choice in antagonist but I think it's kinda cool. Hasn't even really shown them yet anyway, just comics fans being whiners about everything and eating 'member berries.
>'Member when Hellblazer had pretty covers?
>Yeeeeah I 'member!

This.

The Hindu stuff we do use is spit and polished to be more, well, pronounceable.

Also this.

>india thread

Dude that's india's issue, okay, we didn't give them that.

Huh?

Greek and Norse gods are very human, it makes for good stories.

Hindu gods are perfect, no moral flaws, not as many good stories around them as around, say Tor, Oden and Loke. Also, they are seriously overpowered, at times larger than the universe and all-knowing and such. How do you make a story, that is not a missionary story, about someone like that?

>one turn away from cultural victory
>HERE COMES GANDHI :^)

SAY

The majority of Japan are still Shintos of some description, even those who are Buddhists and Christians.

It's the same as Norse.

>it is an active religion with millions of believers in the world
>not white

Really user? Are you that stupid? It is just so obvious.

Without cultural appropriation you'd still be living in a house made of your own shit and dying at thirty after you were chosen to be the one to be burned in the wicker man.

Yeah but they have to make up characters, it's why it's Mephisto and not the Devil, or even Mephistopheles. Why Gabriel, St. Micheal, etc. never appear.

Maybe that's a relatively new idea.

Relative as in hundreds of years instead of thousands.

The idea of Hinduism in itself being a religion was basically created by the British, anyway. Before that there were different groups of people who had somewhat similar beliefs.

>Greek and Norse gods are very human, it makes for good stories.
>Hindu gods are perfect, no moral flaws, not as many good stories around them as around, say Tor, Oden and Loke.
Man I have a cursory knowledge of Hindu mythology I can tell you straight away that ain't true.

Mythologies always have awesome stories because they're plugged into the collective consciousness of a people like nothing else. Hindy Mythology has a ton of awesome stories and characters.

It's their term for single women over 25, ask Sup Forums

Since "nobody wants Christmas cake after the 25th"

>Comics that use christian mythos in the same level as others religions and mythologies

Where can i find this? I just want to see Thor punching Jesus in the face.

Nobody really worships Greek or Norse religion anymore, they have long since become the realm of myth.

Hinduism is still widely practiced and they tend to get butthurt when people "appropriate" it.

Based on what I've seen out of Hinduism's legends, one of the issues is that it doesn't have a built-in pantheon with legends about court intrigues and such.

They're either different aspects of the supreme deity or basically angels, beings clearly bellow and in a different category from the actual supreme deity. It'd be basically Christianity 2.0 with names and motifs most people don't know.

Hinduism have good stories.
But they don't have stories like:
"Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva was walking around down on Earth when they came across a sleeping giant. Vishnu was drunk and tried to bash his head in, but failed."
The kind the Norse have.

holy shit why do people like this exist

PIE would indicate that all Greek, Norse and Germanic mythologies are basically Hindu ones anyway ;^)

I just can't appreciate this one knowing that it was written and drawn by a white woman. That just adds another layer of oblivious stupidity, to my mind.

Because India doesn't know how to play the 'culture war' game that Western civilization does.

Hell, the only reason why Japan hasn't been subsumed by other cultures is because they infiltrated into American culture after losing WWII.

Indian culture isn't willing to sacrifice their religion on the altar of culture war, so they'll always be behind those that did.

> people only like your native religion because of human sacrifices and jewelry
> no media tells the story about how Quetzalcoatl was the perfect husbando

some day...

some day

Journalists weren't the ones complaining. Hindu religious leaders were.

Umm no.

Hell, I'm mexican and I had to pause to say it.

I'm impressed by the devotion to irony there.

Um yes. The concept of an Avatar is 100% Hindu.

explain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar

The use of the word avatar (avatara) to mean the form a deity takes descending to Earth was started by hinduism, and it was imported from there by other cultures.

I know 2 Hindus, one practices like you say and is a vegetarian, while the other actually thinks of them all as separate gods and eats some meat. Other than that the practices are almost the same. They even fast on the same days.

I know an other Indian that has a more strict diet than the vegetarian, but I am not sure why or what other differences there are in their practice.